AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day of posting here. Hoping for some advice from some generous individuals here.

Have considered the following:

Pioneer VSX-1020-K

Onkyo TX-SR608

Sony STR-DN1010

Onkyo HT-RC260

Yamaha RX-V665BL

Denon AVR-1910

Yamaha RX-V567

after doing hours and hours of reading here I think i have narrowed the choices down to the Pioneer, onkyo or yamaha. I will go to my local electronics store to hear and see the product and RC. Could I have some thoughts here on what you all would get if your budget were around 350-450. ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yamaha, because I have had good luck with them. I would get the 667 over the 567 as I feel it's a better unit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19649422

Yamaha, because I have had good luck with them. I would get the 667 over the 567 as I feel it's a better unit.

I have owned yamahas for years but my last one went belly up and the pioneer and onkyo seem better rated and more popular.

other thoughts?

·
The Village Idiot
9,712 Posts
In the up to $450 category the Onkyo RC180 is a decent pick.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs /forum/post/19655758

I have owned yamahas for years but my last one went belly up and the pioneer and onkyo seem better rated and more popular.

other thoughts?

Could not say about better rated ( as I don't know what you mean,) or popular (though you could be right.)

They all go belly up eventually. But if your's died too young, it's quite reasonable to look elsewhere. But I just can't conclude that picking an Onkyo over a Yamaha is going to give you more reliability

Best of luck with whatever you buy. There don't seem to be many outright lemons in the AV receiver market. If Konichiwa Electronics company tries to break into the massively competitive market, they would probably lose money - customers want to buy a recognized name. None of the receiver makers wants to get a bad rep selling junk ('cept maybe Sony
I kid, I am sure Sony's quality is ok, but their emphasis is mainly on the ultra budget models - they don't seem to innovate or generate much interest in the mid range receiver market.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19649422

these are virtually identical. power and 2 hdmi ports- thats it? does the 557 not also have zone 2? 150 more $ also.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/aud...d=72261_72253_

anything else you can share with me about this yamaha 667?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am having the same question.

I have cut down my selection to Onkyo 608, Yamaha 667, and Pioneer 920K.

My budget cap is around $400.

I've also considered Sony, but I have received advice from more than one source saying I shouldn't buy from a general electronics brand if I want good sound quality. So that eliminates Sony/Samsung/Toshiba. My friend said Pioneer is an exception, and Onkyo and Yamaha both have professional grade audio product lines for decades.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I'd go with the Onkyo hands down. All the features most will need, over 80 watts a channel when used in a 5 channel home theatre arrangement vs 50 for the Yamaha and 30 for the Pioneer. Depending on the speakers used that might be a consideration. As the owner of one I am very impressed with feautures at this price point. And with the current price at Amazon it's one heck of a deal!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Those are manufacture rated specs which are usually pretty optimistic and rated per 2 channels. When doing research it's best to look at third party measurements to get the real story. The following link is one example

http://www.hometheater.com/equipment-reviews

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatoboy /forum/post/0

I'd go with the Onkyo hands down. All the features most will need, over 80 watts a channel when used in a 5 channel home theatre arrangement vs 50 for the Yamaha and 30 for the Pioneer. Depending on the speakers used that might be a consideration. As the owner of one I am very impressed with feautures at this price point. And with the current price at Amazon it's one heck of a deal!

Which Pioneer are you referring to?

·
Registered
29,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs /forum/post/19662146

these are virtually identical. power and 2 hdmi ports- thats it? does the 557 not also have zone 2? 150 more $ also.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/aud...d=72261_72253_

anything else you can share with me about this yamaha 667?

The Yamaha 667 has a discete amp for all channels, better, cleaner power than the 567, bigger power supply 400W vs 270W, 6 HDMI vs 4. Also has 7.1 preamp outputs if you ever want to add an external amp. Also 7.1 multichannel inputs for SACD or DVD-A. GUI overlay over HD sources which some people consider very valuable especially if you keep the receiver in a cabinet and cant see the display.

The 667 clearly has a better feature set and more power than the 567. At least to me.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19751764

The Yamaha 667 has a discete amp for all channels, better, cleaner power than the 567, bigger power supply 400W vs 270W, 6 HDMI vs 4. Also has 7.1 preamp outputs if you ever want to add an external amp. Also 7.1 multichannel inputs for SACD or DVD-A. GUI overlay over HD sources which some people consider very valuable especially if you keep the receiver in a cabinet and cant see the display.

The 667 clearly has a better feature set and more power than the 567. At least to me.

How does it compare to the Onkyo 608 or Pioneer 920/1020?

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
Onkyo 608 is actually pretty powerful. Its is THX Select 2 Plus certified and the power supply was increased over last year's 607. It now has the same power as the 708.

920/1020 both have the same 245W power supply. No way it reaches its advertised power ratings. The pioneers dont get bigger power supplies (400W) until you step up to the 1120 which also has a better feature set.

The 1120 is a full 6-7 lbs heavier than the 920/1020.

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
I would actually look at the new Onkyo RC270 instead the 608 or Yammy 667. It is more like the 708 with better Audyssey MultiEQ calibration, multichannel inputs and preamp outputs. Plus network port for Pandora and internet radio and a USB port on front. It was on sale for $399 on New Years Eve but price has gone up now.

http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-R...s=Receiver&p=i

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19751928

I would actually look at the new Onkyo RC270 instead the 608 or Yammy 667. It is more like the 708 with better Audyssey MultiEQ calibration, multichannel inputs and preamp outputs. Plus network port for Pandora and internet radio and a USB port on front. It was on sale for $399 on New Years Eve but price has gone up now.

http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-R...s=Receiver&p=i

RC270 is currently selling for around $500, a tad above my budget.

The RC260 going for around $350 seems to be more in line, although I am not sure what is sacrificed.

And the fact that the price for the 260 is lower than 608 keeps me wondering.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw /forum/post/19752054

RC270 is currently selling for around $500, a tad above my budget.

The RC260 going for around $350 seems to be more in line, although I am not sure what is sacrificed.

And the fact that the price for the 260 is lower than 608 keeps me wondering.

The 270 has been on sale twice in the past two weeks, once for $424 and once for $399. I'd say that is a trend. Wait a week or two for the sale to happen again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.