AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 52nd Daytona 500 in HDTV on FOX

720p & DD5.1

Live from Daytona Beach, FL

February 14th, 2010

Preshow 12pm

Green Flag 1pm

From The Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Daytona 500 wants to get revving again

With fewer rules and a new attitude, the Great American Race aims to lure fans back.

By Mike Bianchi

It seems appropriate that this Daytona 500 falls on Valentine's Day, the day NASCAR hopes its fans will fall back in love with its sport.

The Great American Race is NASCAR's great American opportunity to rekindle a dying love affair.

NASCAR must transform what has become the mundanely monotonous Dulltona 500 back into the deliriously dramatic Daytona 500.

NASCAR entered the American sporting consciousness in 1979 when CBS first televised the race wire-to-wire on a day when the entire East Coast, because of a blizzard, was stuck in the house watching TV.

That historic, histrionic race ended with Cale Yarborough and the Allison boys wrecking each other on the final lap and brawling on the backstretch as the ultra-popular Richard Petty breezed by for the victory. That was America's first real taste of the rowdy, howdy world of stock-car racing.

Well, guess what? When the gentlemen (sorry, no Danica) start their engines at 10 a.m. PST, the East Coast will still be blanketed by the record-breaking snowfall of a few days ago and bracing for yet another snowstorm tomorrow.

Meanwhile, NASCAR is doing everything it can to return to its "If you ain't rubbin', you ain't racin' " roots that captivated the country three decades ago.

The powers that be are finally starting to listen to those who matter most: the fans and the drivers. NASCAR has always been the most autocratic of all the major sports. The France family founded it, funded it and ran it with an iron fist for three generations. And if you didn't like the way they did things -- too bad.

But there's an old proverb: "Arrogance diminishes wisdom." And that's what happened to NASCAR. Because of the sport's booming success in the 1990s and early 2000s, NASCAR thought it could do no wrong. Profits took precedent over product. NASCAR drove so fast into the future, its past was left choking on the dust.

"The days of exciting races at Daytona and Talladega [NASCAR's two superspeedways] are over," Dale Earnhardt Sr. said of all the changes to adjust the aerodynamics, regulate the engines and slow down the cars. "It's no fun anymore. They finally got it like Indy-car racing."

Turns out the Intimidator was right. The Daytona 500 turned into a bunch of puttering, powerless cars lollygagging around the track single file, afraid to get out of line for fear they would get shuffled to the rear of the pack. There was so little passing that NASCAR might as well have painted double yellow lines down the middle of Daytona's famous 2.5-mile tri-oval.

It's no wonder ticket sales have plunged and TV ratings declined in recent years. Even before the economy went into the tank, NASCAR had begun to alienate its fan base.

And that brings us to Sunday's Daytona 500, where the sport will attempt to drive its way back to the future. Speed will increase with the bigger restrictor plates. Aggressiveness will escalate now that NASCAR has legalized bump-drafting.

Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition, put it best during a preseason news conference when he sent this message to the drivers heading into the 2010 season:

"Boys, have at it."

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes /forum/post/18134246

Look good, sounding good, and the 88 is up front!

Until he screws up like normal.

·
Registered
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hole is fixed, they are about ready to go green for the last 78 laps.

·
Registered
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A second delay due the track coming apart.

I'll admit I don't know much about it, but this seems preventable. Can anyone illuminate?

A little research shows the track was last resurfaced in 1978. Not sure how NASCAR can let their premier event venue go over 30 years without maintaining it properly?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18135682

I'll admit I don't know much about it, but this seems preventable. Can anyone illuminate?

A little research shows the track was last resurfaced in 1978. Not sure how NASCAR can let their premier event venue go over 30 years without maintaining it properly?

Could you imagine if something like this happened during the Super Bowl? The sad thing is, Nascar will probably get away without much scrutiny

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

Quote:

Its suppose to be repaved this year, as to why it wasn't done already, that I cant answer. Carl Edwards said in an interview just let them race, they know the pothole is there, so stay away from it.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

Quote:

Most of the drivers don't want it resurfaced. The way it is now the drivers still have some control of the racing. A pot hole is of course not acceptable. They don't want it like Talladega where there is plenty of grip and all they do is drive around in a big pack.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE /forum/post/18135774

Most of the drivers don't want it resurfaced. The way it is now the drivers still have some control of the racing. A pot hole is of course not acceptable. They don't want it like Talladega where there is plenty of grip and all they do is drive around in a big pack.

Exactly, most tracks suck for the first 3-5 years after they have been re-paved, just too much grip. Cars that slide around offer better racing than cars glued to the track.

·
Registered
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE /forum/post/18135774

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_somd /forum/post/0

Exactly, most tracks suck for the first 3-5 years after they have been re-paved, just too much grip. Cars that slide around offer better racing than cars glued to the track.

If NASCAR lets drivers dictate track maintenance policy, they are fully to blame for the ~2 hour delay. Very bad management.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
All the rain the past two weeks didn't help either. Can't do much about that.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
florida has had hard freezes most nights and tons of rain throughout the past few weeks. the race yesterday didn't help either. i'm not a nascar fan, but i feel bad for those who are. hopefully we have better weather in florida next year(it sucks to live in florida and have it in the low 30s when getting up in the morning!)

·
Registered
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr /forum/post/18136364

florida has had hard freezes most nights and tons of rain throughout the past few weeks. the race yesterday didn't help either. i'm not a nascar fan, but i feel bad for those who are. hopefully we have better weather in florida next year(it sucks to live in florida and have it in the low 30s when getting up in the morning!)

It froze in Daytona Beach?

·
Registered
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan /forum/post/18136418

DW: " Where did june bug come from. Looked like daddy comin' up through there"

Yeah, of all the times I decide to say something, Jr. actually looked like he wanted the win and was ready to do whatever it took.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.