AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 42" LG LED from Best Buy. I did plenty of searching for a review on this set(42le5400) but came up with nothing.They didn't have any on display saying it's too new and theyre pushing last years stuff first. So I'm not sure how it's going to look. I'm hoping it's an improvement over the LH series since both were priced similar. If I'm unhappy the return policy seems pretty liberal. I'll be installing it tonight after work and I'll post my thoughts after seeing the picture.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk9911 /forum/post/18310644

I just picked up a 42" LG LED from Best Buy. I did plenty of searching for a review on this set(42le5400) but came up with nothing.They didn't have any on display saying it's too new and theyre pushing last years stuff first. So I'm not sure how it's going to look. I'm hoping it's an improvement over the LH series since both were priced similar. If I'm unhappy the return policy seems pretty liberal. I'll be installing it tonight after work and I'll post my thoughts after seeing the picture.

Looking forward to your input and some pictures too...........................pretty please!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had some time to play with the 42LD550 and I was pretty impressed. Being mainly a Samsung LCD guy, after going through 3 sets I have decided no more. I feel like my LCD needs to last more than a year but whatever.

I must say I love the LG menu its very intuitive. Also I was happy to find that LG decided to make the 120Hz adjustable. What I mean by that is you can seperate de-judder and smooth like the Samsung's. Also it was next to a samsung C630 and it was far more accurate in color. Now of course store settings are never really optimal or to my liking. That being said its a very attractive looking LCD.

The black level wasnt what I was hoping for but once again it could be the settings. The Samsung was more vibrant in color but crushed colors a lil, shadow detail on the Samsung was mediocre. Also the samsung did appear to be sharper. I was just surprised to see that a CCFL backlight Samsung seemed to have darker blacks than the LED LG. Once again could all be the stores settings.

I dont care about thin it makes for horrible screen uniformity. I was looking at the new Samsung 3D tv and fell out of the chair when the screen went black. It had the worst uniformity I have ever seen. Anyways I was not able to really check the screen uniformity on the 42LD550 but I would guess its not great because of how thin it is. What a bad trade off thin for horrible flashlights IMO.

I posted the above elsewhere the other day

update: I was able to play more with this set and I am more and more impressed. The 120hz seems to work about as good as Samsungs ( which is saying alot considering my 47 lh50 120 hz was unusable. ) being able to customize the 120Hz works great. I must say Samsung still leads the pack in this category. That being said LG's new 120hz system works way better than the new edge lit Sony's. Which by the way only had off,standard or high.

Still not totally impressed with black levels. I played with the settings ( not a alot but more than the other day ) and I cant seem to get it to flex its claimed 4mil to 1 ratio.

Now from what I could tell the TV had a pretty darn even backlight with limited flashlights. The one thing I couldnt find out is if it has local dimming. jmk9911 I would love to hear your input on this set when you get the time.

All in all very accurate color on the set which I loved and the menu system is the best. Alot easier to navigate then my Samsung 750 series. Looking forward to some more input on this set since I probably will be getting this by the end of the week.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its out of the box and running. I haven't had much time to go through the settings but so far I am not impressed. The set physically looks fine but nothing outrageous. The picture so far is not impressing me. I don't think its as good as the samsung I saw on display. I also don't think the picture is as nice as a plasma. I'll play with it tomorrow and see if I can tweek it for a better picture. I'll post again tomorrow. Oh yeah and whats the point of a slim design if the hdmi cable sticks way out off the back of the set?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The 5500's are the led local dimming sets. Those should get much blacker than these regular edge lit designs. This is the first year of edge lit led from LG, I think. Luckily, they've got ISFccc, you can probably get some good shadow detail out of these sets.

ccfl is so much more mature as an lcd technology. Samsung C series panels have great front filters, that's why they look blacker under all those lights.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk9911 /forum/post/18312627

Its out of the box and running. I haven't had much time to go through the settings but so far I am not impressed. The set physically looks fine but nothing outrageous. The picture so far is not impressing me. I don't think its as good as the samsung I saw on display. I also don't think the picture is as nice as a plasma. I'll play with it tomorrow and see if I can tweek it for a better picture. I'll post again tomorrow. Oh yeah and whats the point of a slim design if the hdmi cable sticks way out off the back of the set?

that was my initial feeling as well. It did grow on me more and it seems to have a ton of ways to calibrate it. it seems to have a more natural look PQ wise than the Samsung. Keep playing with the settings my feeling is that you can tweek this set to your liking. it just seems that the LG is more well rounded than the Sony or Samsung LCD lineup. Sony's 120hz is no good, Samsung scares me with their reliability, LG seems to lack "pop" with their panels. I dont know

Could you comment on the screen uniformity on an all black screen? Also have you tried Blurays yet?

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau /forum/post/18312779

The 5500's are the led local dimming sets. Those should get much blacker than these regular edge lit designs. This is the first year of edge lit led from LG, I think. Luckily, they've got ISFccc, you can probably get some good shadow detail out of these sets.

ccfl is so much more mature as an lcd technology. Samsung C series panels have great front filters, that's why they look blacker under all those lights.

thanks for the info. Like I said you could invest hours in tweeking that set and maybe Local Dimming wasnt on and thats why the blacks looked subpar, I dont know. You would think it would blow the C series out of the water with its black level thats what surprised me, it did not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just woke up and put the tv on. I changed the settings to lg's "sports" setting and put ESPN on. The 720 Panasonic plasma I got rid of to buy this set looked better. I'm really not happy at all. The colors just look horrible. No pop at all. I think I'm going back to a plasma. This tv was all hype. If my opinion changes I'll repost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spoke too soon...continuing to play with the settings and the pictures looking better. Infact much better. Still think I should have gone with the Samsung but it seems these settings really need to be tweaked. I'm sure my opinion will change again. I'll repost after a full day of playing with the settings. It already looks so much better that I might keep the set.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk9911 /forum/post/18313629

Spoke too soon...continuing to play with the settings and the pictures looking better. Infact much better. Still think I should have gone with the Samsung but it seems these settings really need to be tweaked. I'm sure my opinion will change again. I'll repost after a full day of playing with the settings. It already looks so much better that I might keep the set.

glad to hear, I am looking forward to hearing more. I am still curious about screen uniformity. Have you had a chance to see the screen in a dark room with an all black screen? Also how is the black level?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok..screen uniformity ...(Keep in mind I'm no pro when it comes to writing a review). When the screen is all black theres a ton of variation in dark and bright areas. I think I'm going to head back to Best Buy this week to check out the new Samsung LED. So far I can say that on some occasions depending on the program the tv looks nice. It has never wowed me. I think that the pluses of a plasma outweigh the pluses of this particular set. I wouldnt reccomend this set to anyone at this point. Its ok but nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heres the verdict. I know I've been back and forth on my opinion of this set. After watching my plasma for 30 min and then watching this set right afterwards, same program, I can say that the picture is nice. Does the picture warrant the difference in price between this set and a plasma? I'm not sure. It did take some tweaking to get the picture right and I wasn't happy with it in the beginning. My room gets a good deal of sun so that was another factor that came into play. Overall its a very nice picture I'm just not sure if it warrants the price paid. I am keeping the set. It especially looks nice with hd broadcasts. Hope this was of some help to anyone contemplating an led set

·
Registered
503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau /forum/post/18312779

ccfl is so much more mature as an lcd technology. Samsung C series

panels have great front filters,

that's why they look blacker under

all those lights.

I have been really noticing the great blacks in the stores for the samsung C series sets. This is the first time I've heard the term front filter. Do the great C series blacks hold up at home when the lights are dim??

·
Registered
80 Posts
I picked up this same set two days ago, i have it in my bedroom and I have to say that I'm very impressed with it. At my local best buy they had the lg 42le5400, samsung un40c6300, and the sony kdl40ex700 displayed side by side. and to be honest the lg and the samsung looked very similar being both really vibrant while the sony had that more "natural" look. I even had the worker set all the tv's back to it's standard mode and i still couldn't really see any difference between the lg and the samsung. so i decided to go with the lg because it's 2" bigger and because of the internet connectivity and the widgets. As for the sony, I couldn't get over the ugly 2 tone bezel.

Overall I'm very impressed with this set. It looks great playing dvd and blu-ray movies...and I haven't even adjusted the settings. I'm sure it'll only get better so far.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I purchased this tv yesterday and I really like it. The first one I had was real bad( clouding) and I took it back to BB and they gave me a new one,

I'm going to play with it more when I get in the house. The only issue I have at the moment is the screen, I like the samsung glass screen better, but for the price and the extended warranty from LG($160.00) my mind was made up

·
Registered
80 Posts
so i have a little problem...i have my ps3 connected via hdmi, when i'm playing games or watching a movie, the screen will go blank for about 2 seconds then come back on...i would say it does it about once every half hour. i don't know what it causing this. i checked the connection and it seems to be good...i know it's not the cable cause it worked perfectly fine on my older tv.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyjoe /forum/post/18412419

Any updates on this tv? Im still waiting for the 55" to show up at hhgregg or sears so i can use my card.

Just saw one in Sears tonite (Salem, N.H.) so some of their stores are getting them now. Looked nice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts