AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new Mac Mini for Christmas as an HTPC.

At the moment I am testing with a 2010 Macbook Pro with a 330M.

I assume that the 320M in the Mini and the 330M are very similar.

When I plug in the HDMI to the Macbook Pro, which is connected to a Denon AV Receiver (AVR-3806), and then out to a Pioneer 6070, it automatically creates the Denon-3806 color profile or something like that. It looks terrible. All shadow detail is lost.

It seems like I am getting better results when using the s-RGB color profile or even the Adobe RGB 1998 color profile, but i'm still not happy.

How do I get this video card, the 320M or the 330M, output just 'raw' or default, without having to calibrate the color profile? I tried calibrating using the Color menu on the Mac, but it just didn't work out. I would like it to just output the default or something that I can just use the TV to control the final result. I have a few Popcorn Hour boxes that I currently use and I don't have to mess with any sort of color profile on those boxes. It just outputs a great picture. And I can leave the HDMI input on my TV with the same picture settings that I use for my DVR. Since I am using the AV receiver to do the HDMI switching, only one HDMI input on the TV is being used, so I have to leave the picture settings alone.

This is the only thing that is turning me off on the whole HTPC idea at this point.

Any suggestions?

What settings are others using with a Pioneer 6070 plasma?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your black and white levels are crushed on your display, you need to install a small piece of software to output video in the 16-235 luminance range. It is called Black Light, and it's free.

It seems though that the new Mac Mini (2010) doesn't need that kind of correction and outputs 16-235 while connected to a HDTV instead of 0-255.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyb220 /forum/post/19528374

If your black and white levels are crushed on your display, you need to install a small piece of software to output video in the 16-235 luminance range. It is called Black Light, and it's free.

It seems though that the new Mac Mini (2010) doesn't need that kind of correction and outputs 16-235 while connected to a HDTV instead of 0-255.

I wouldn't think the MacBook Pro would need this being that it is a 330M, which is a higher quality than the 320M on the Mac Mini.

I think I must be missing some basic fundamental display adjustment here somewhere....

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb /forum/post/19529432

I wouldn't think the MacBook Pro would need this being that it is a 330M, which is a higher quality than the 320M on the Mac Mini.

I think I must be missing some basic fundamental display adjustment here somewhere....

I agree, I have a 2010 MBP connected to Samsung LCD via onkyo 607r and I would describe my colors as perfect..

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by restinbeast /forum/post/19530221

I agree, I have a 2010 MBP connected to Samsung LCD via onkyo 607r and I would describe my colors as perfect..

What did you set? Which color profile? Are their other settings I am missing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The luminance problem with Macs has nothing to do with the graphics card or the color profile. In fact if you'd install Bootcamp on your Mac you would have the option to switch to 16-235 luminance range in the Nvidia control panel in Windows.

The problem is that Apple is not putting this feature in Monitors. So if your tv doesn't automatically detect that you are sending a 0-255 signal it will crush the black and white levels. It seems like some Macs (like the new Mini) automatically change the luminance range to 16-235 when connected to certain tv sets.

So if you already calibrated your tv with a blu-ray player and a proper calibration disc, chances are the output from your computer should look almost perfect with these settings. If not, maybe you should try downloading a calibration video to play on your computer and see if your black levels are crushed (try AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration). Or even just get Black Light and see if applying the HDTV Luminance Adjustment does anything at all.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyb220 /forum/post/19534699

The luminance problem with Macs has nothing to do with the graphics card or the color profile. In fact if you'd install Bootcamp on your Mac you would have the option to switch to 16–235 luminance range in the Nvidia control panel in Windows.

The problem is that Apple is not putting this feature in Monitors. So if your tv doesn't automatically detect that you are sending a 0-255 signal it will crush the black and white levels. It seems like some Macs (like the new Mini) automatically change the luminance range to 16-235 when connected to certain tv sets.

So if you already calibrated your tv with a blu-ray player and a proper calibration disc, chances are the output from your computer should look almost perfect with these settings. If not, maybe you should try downloading a calibration video to play on your computer and see if your black levels are crushed (try AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration). Or even just get Black Light and see if applying the HDTV Luminance Adjustment does anything at all.

So what about the Color Profiles? Just let the Mac choose the default Color Profile(in this case, DENON-AVR since it is connected to a Denon AV receiver first)? Does the Color Profile control luminance?

Do I make adjustments in the 'Calibrate' panel on the Mac, since I don't want to touch the Plasma's picture settings, since other components use the same HDMI input?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Not knowing about your specific setup, I was very unhappy with the picture quality of the HDMI on my Mini until I calibrated it in the Displays preferences. I had already built a profile for my other TV that's set up using DVI, but the HDMI on the Samsung was different.

Dennis

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb
When I plug in the HDMI to the Macbook Pro, which is connected to a Denon AV Receiver (AVR-3806), and then out to a Pioneer 6070, it automatically creates the Denon-3806 color profile or something like that. It looks terrible. All shadow detail is lost.

It seems like I am getting better results when using the s-RGB color profile or even the Adobe RGB 1998 color profile, but i'm still not happy.

Any suggestions?

What settings are others using with a Pioneer 6070 plasma?

Thanks for the help.
I believe that the problem you are having is that the mini is using the Denon profile rather than a Pioneer profile. I too connect my Mini to a Denon receiver and Pioneer TV. You may be able to find it in the Displays system preference. If you don't see one, try running your HDMI cable directly to the Pioneer. You should see an improvement. I ended up doing this and running optical audio to the Denon. Ultimate's suggestion of calibrating your Pioneer is also very good. I calibrated mine and it looks spectacular.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do the Color Profiles determine the luminance range that is output from the Mac NVIDIA video card?

Maybe there is a Pioneer Color Profile I can get my hands on?

My only choice is to have HDMI going from the Mac to the Denon AV Receiver. And then that switches to the Pioneer plasma.

Since I need to leave my Pioneer plasma HDMI picture settings alone, i'm assuming my next step is to use the 'Calibrate' setting in the Displays on the Mac?

Kind of funny (not really), that I was trying to find software for a Mac to uncompress the .7z files that have the calibration mp4s and it crashed my Mac. I am in Mac hell right now as my HD is totally FUBAR and won't repair. I thought Macs weren't supposed to crash??? Honestly, Windows 7 has been a much nicer experience than my first Mac, but I digress......

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb /forum/post/19539834

Do the Color Profiles determine the luminance range that is output from the Mac NVIDIA video card?

Maybe there is a Pioneer Color Profile I can get my hands on?

My only choice is to have HDMI going from the Mac to the Denon AV Receiver. And then that switches to the Pioneer plasma.

Since I need to leave my Pioneer plasma HDMI picture settings alone, i'm assuming my next step is to use the 'Calibrate' setting in the Displays on the Mac?

Kind of funny (not really), that I was trying to find software for a Mac to uncompress the .7z files that have the calibration mp4s and it crashed my Mac. I am in Mac hell right now as my HD is totally FUBAR and won't repair. I thought Macs weren't supposed to crash??? Honestly, Windows 7 has been a much nicer experience than my first Mac, but I digress......

I know that a color profile can set a certain luminance range, but even if you had the Pioneer profile, I think you'd still have the problem. It could be done with some very expensive software that creates color profiles, but this is not a very user friendly solution.

My Mac Mini is plugged in a H/K receiver and then in my Sony TV. I simply turn off any video processing on my receiver and it acts as a simple switch. The end result is that the Mac recognizes the Sony TV.

Sorry about your Mac problems, I gave up on Windows a long time ago and I couldn't be more happy. When everything is up and running again, you should just get Black Light, it's free and it just works. I have it set up to start on boot and never had any problems with it. Then you can try calibrating if you still wish to.

Good luck!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyb220 /forum/post/19542260

I know that a color profile can set a certain luminance range, but even if you had the Pioneer profile, I think you'd still have the problem. It could be done with some very expensive software that creates color profiles, but this is not a very user friendly solution.

My Mac Mini is plugged in a H/K receiver and then in my Sony TV. I simply turn off any video processing on my receiver and it acts as a simple switch. The end result is that the Mac recognizes the Sony TV.

Sorry about your Mac problems, I gave up on Windows a long time ago and I couldn't be more happy. When everything is up and running again, you should just get Black Light, it's free and it just works. I have it set up to start on boot and never had any problems with it. Then you can try calibrating if you still wish to.

Good luck!

Got my Macbook Pro up and running again. I had to use Disk Warrior to fix the disk, and then had to re-install Snow Leopard on top of my old fubar installation. Things are running very nice now. I like how you can install the OS on top of itself and all your programs and settings stay intact.

Thanks for the Black Light tip. That fixed the issue. I now run with the default DENON-AVR profile the Mac assigns with Black Light setting the Luminance to 16-235 and everything looks like it should with shadow detail.

Incidentally, there is no HDMI video processing going on with my Denon AV receiver. It's just a switch, but the Mac can only see it and not the Pioneer plasma at the end.

I still don't understand why I have to run 3rd party freeware to get a good picture out of it. There should be a setting on the Mac that allows me to control this.

So you are using Black Light? It was a little unclear since you said that the Mac recognizes your Sony, but then said you use Black Light in your login.

It sounds like anyone who is using an AV Receiver in the middle needs to use Black Light.

Maybe once I hook up my Mac Mini (not the 2010 Macbook Pro i'm using now) in a few weeks, it will be able to recognize that I have a Pioneer tv on the end, but I doubt it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.