AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i frankly don`t care too much about the widgets but funny enough the new 50"SAMSUNG c7000 is 0.2" thicker than the OLDER 50"860b now that is a great technological improvement and its only 3.5 pounds lighter.To sum it all up all this 3d hype by manufacturers to sell more flat screens is another move.There is no 3d broadcasting in the world or rather here in the USA and no one is going to broadcast 3d anytime soon save for ESPN OCASIONALLY and howmany people are going to go out and buy 3d Blue Ray movies for 50usd i don`t know,not to mention wear 3d glasses that are heavy,irritating,cause head aches and COST another 100-150usd.So howmany 3d galsses are you going to buy in a familly home of 4.4x100usd? I mean really,i think not.Is only one person going to watch a movie in 3d or play games in 3d?.Think about it and tell me your opinion.Is 3d viewing really healthy or comfortable over prolonged periods of time?

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman /forum/post/18307873

To sum it all up all this 3d hype by manufacturers to sell more flat screens is another move.There is no 3d broadcasting in the world or rather here in the USA and no one is going to broadcast 3d anytime soon save for ESPN OCASIONALLY and howmany people are going to go out and buy 3d Blue Ray movies for 50usd i don`t know,not to mention wear 3d glasses that are heavy,irritating,cause head aches and COST another 100-150usd.So howmany 3d galsses are you going to buy in a familly home of 4.4x100usd? I mean really,i think not.Is only one person going to watch a movie in 3d or play games in 3d?.Think about it and tell me your opinion.Is 3d viewing really healthy or comfortable over prolonged periods of time?

Walford is right..

One thing 3D display manufacturers won't tell you is that they only expect 3D TVs to be less than 5% of all TV sales this year. They know that adoption/market penetration takes alot of time

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
3D-capable TVs are also better-than-average 2D HDTVs, as Walford mentioned. If you don't buy the 3D glasses, the extra cost for the 3D feature is pretty minimal. That makes a case that all existing 2D displays will soon be considered obsolete, and that 3D-capable displays are the only thing a tech-savvy AVS member should buy later this year when the 3D feature is common.

One exception would be the smaller screen sizes 50" and below. You really have to sit close to those (within about 4') for the 3D immersion you get at a theater. But for larger screens and front projectors in particular, you want 3D IMHO, even if you have no present plans to use it. Expect 3D games to be the first major 3D media.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was out shopping for a new TV at Best Buy today and was treated to an excellent demonstration of the new 3D technology on a 55" Samsung LED.

I honestly had not expected much, but it blew my socks off. It was an animated feature film which I watched for about 20 minutes. Absolutely mesmerizing. We were seated about 8 feet from the screen, and along with the very nice surround system they had setup, it was a highly enjoyable experience. It was bright, and the colors were good, and the 3D effect was perfect. No strobing, ghosting, or eyestrain that I could tell.

This system supposedly can also take any 2D content and make it look 3D, so I asked to see a demo of that. The Samsung 3D player couldn't load the first 2 DVDs, but finally loaded the 3rd disc. It was interesting, but I saw a lot of ghosting and weird stuff and the 3D effect wasn't all that great. They've still got a way to go with that.

However, if had the money I'd definitely want this, but at this point it's so far out of my price range that I'll have to settle for watching the technology advance over the next few years. And advance it will!

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
For anyone considering a 3D TV you do have to factor in that in order to get 3D you have to purchase a higher end TV. For someone who is looking at the higher end already the added price isn't too hefty in many cases before counting in the expensive glasses.

I'm definitely interested but I'll wait a year or two for the technology to mature. I'm mostly interested in movies but after having a projection setup a 55" TV doesn't cut it anymore.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well I thought I would wait at least a year before seriously considering 3D until I watched the 3D demo at BestBuy. Now as soon as Panny starts to deliver their 58" model if BB has 36 month financing going I will probably get one. And I just got a V10
Well it will look pretty good in one of the bedrooms! I hope it is in time for World Cup Futbol! Just like HD was in the beginning there will not be too much to watch, but what is available will be just too stunning to wait or pass up. Early Adopters Unite!!!!!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
As for the 25 World Cup 3-D matches this summer, I'll be scanning the news for sports bars that have acquired 3-D projectors (might be rare, as it's too early for "American" football season). If I can find one, I'm there! Bring on the $20 margaritas!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Glasses Free 3D in 2010/2011:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

I wonder which LCD mfg Nintendo will be sourcing the 3D LCD displays from? Perhaps the same company that's providing the displays used in the XL... Hmm...

Also, I saw the C6000 3D demo, and am now familiar with what "cross-talk" is... Samsung's 3D seems slightly worse than Sony's implementation (more cross-talk). I wonder if better BFI implementations could eliminate cross-talk on LCDs? I've yet to see the VT20 demo... should be good, unless I see phosphor trails instead of LCD cross-talk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts