AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 9222 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Two things I'd like to know;

How bad is the input lag? There's a "game" setting, so I'm hoping it's barely noticeable.

Is there a menu option to select 1:1 pixel mapping, or is it enabled by the service menu again?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias /forum/post/18839658

How bad is the input lag? There's a "game" setting, so I'm hoping it's barely noticeable.

Is there a menu option to select 1:1 pixel mapping, or is it enabled by the service menu again?

I got the TV yesterday, haven't played a ton but haven't noticed any real input lag. I guess a good test will be Rock Band but the living room is a mess right now (new TV sans stand, old 50 projection screen, and the box the new TV came in).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Primetime,

Where, and what type of 3D glasses did you get?

Could you detail for me everything you needed to make it work?

I'd like to try the method you used instead of wating for a 399$ kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/18840803

I'd consider one of these sets if the picture quality was better. That and low input lag. VERY LOW input lag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias /forum/post/18839658

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/18828239

Input lag is now a MAJOR concern of mine. I just hate it. I have a UN55B8500 and can't stand it for gaming. Movies it's beautiful. But crap for games due to input lag.

I just received my WD-60738 and it looks amazing. After reading some of the questions here I figured I would test the input lag. Using Guitar Hero it shows video lag at 75ms. It might actually be a little better then that since I am terrible at the game but at least you get an idea.

On a side note I could not get my PS3 to recognize 3D mode. I understand that it does not support checkerboard but I figured it did do side by side. I could be wrong and I am still looking into it.

If anyone has any other questions feel free I am more then willing to test the tv out some more. As far as input are concerned I have a VIP722K Dish DVR, PS3, Xbox, and Wii to test out.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnowsWho /forum/post/18828035

So what is the argument for getting a 2010 73-738 instead of the 2009 model 73C9? Other than the Internet connection?

I would also like to know if there is some difference in video processing or the 120hz smooth motion.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnowsWho /forum/post/18828035

So what is the argument for getting a 2010 73-738 instead of the 2009 model 73C9? Other than the Internet connection?

Not needing an (or potenially even more than one) 3D adapter for 3D sources (after the promised "summer firmware update").

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone tested 3d Blu-Ray on it? I believe that the Panasonic player will output the proper 3d format for the 738.

Also, I have an Old Samsung DLP that does the upconverting 1080p. I'm looking to upgrade and have always liked DLP. Would you recommend a Plasma or another DLP?

·
Registered
6,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNine /forum/post/0

Has anyone tested 3d Blu-Ray on it? I believe that the Panasonic player will output the proper 3d format for the 738.

Also, I have an Old Samsung DLP that does the upconverting 1080p. I'm looking to upgrade and have always liked DLP. Would you recommend a Plasma or another DLP?

Plasma PQ is much better. But you can get a much bigger tv with the DLP. and run on half the power. Its all in what you like. Better PQ vs bigger set.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 /forum/post/18848081

Has anyone seen a WD-73838 yet? Have they started shipping?

I actually spoke to a rep today who is handling my BGLOD case. I was offered the WD 65838 as a replacement set and accepted the offer last week. Today I was told they have not been released yet but are in the final stage of production. I was told they will be shipping by the third week in July, so shortly after that you should be seeing them in stores / on-line.

Interesting Note: The rep told me they (838 series) are being released as the "2011" model. I didn't correct her, as she seemed proud to be telling me they are the newest sets and she seemed very knowledgeable about this. I am wondering / hopeful that this means they will come preloaded with the new softwear version of 3D that all the other sets will need to get the upgrade to.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Opinions from those went from a 2009 to this new set would be nice, in terms of PQ that is. Thanks. Only thing holding me back from getting a 73C9 is the hopes of the PQ being better in a newer set.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
So why do people buy these sets? I can only imagine the PQ to be kinda crappy since you get such a huge set for dirt cheap. I was considering one of these sets. But the fact that its so cheap for such a big set just pretty much scares me.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GStyle /forum/post/18846341

I figured I would test the input lag. Using Guitar Hero it shows video lag at 75ms. It might actually be a little better then that since I am terrible at the game but at least you get an idea...

If anyone has any other questions feel free I am more then willing to test the tv out some more.

Thanks for testing this. If you could check the menus, could you see if there is an option to turn overscan off or enable 1:1 pixel mapping?

I think the PS3 only outputs framepacking per the update, though there are 2 games, Avatar and a something Tiger downloadable game, that output checkerboard.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/18849562

So why do people buy these sets? I can only imagine the PQ to be kinda crappy since you get such a huge set for dirt cheap. I was considering one of these sets. But the fact that its so cheap for such a big set just pretty much scares me.

Actually, the picture quality of the DLP RPTVs is very good. The models with bulbs are so cheap because there isn't much to these sets. A minimal power supply, a Texas Instruments Dark Chip, a bulb, a color wheel, and not much else.

Sad fact is that Mitsubishi RPTVs of recent years (not the Mitsubishi CRT RPTVs) have had a high 21% repair rate in their first 3 years of ownership.

But I have looked at the 73 inch in several stores including about 3 times in Magnolia, and in the darkened atmosphere of Magnolia, the size is most impressive, including comparison to Panasonic 65 inch plasma.

The new 75 inch Laservue is probably going to have even better picture quality, but reliability remains to be seen and $5K is more than twice the price of the 73 inch standard DLP

·
Registered
6,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18850082

Actually, the picture quality of the DLP RPTVs is very good. The models with bulbs are so cheap because there isn't much to these sets. A minimal power supply, a Texas Instruments Dark Chip, a bulb, a color wheel, and not much else.

Sad fact is that Mitsubishi RPTVs of recent years (not the Mitsubishi CRT RPTVs) have had a high 21% repair rate in their first 3 years of ownership.

But I have looked at the 73 inch in several stores including about 3 times in Magnolia, and in the darkened atmosphere of Magnolia, the size is most impressive, including comparison to Panasonic 65 inch plasma.

The new 75 inch Laservue is probably going to have even better picture quality, but reliability remains to be seen and $5K is more than twice the price of the 73 inch standard DLP

LaserVue is what I was looking into getting. But its a bit of a high price right now. I don't think PQ can compare to plasma or lcd. I can imagine others seem more sharp. I could picture one of these sets in a 100% dark room could give you a theater feeling. But thats about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18850082

So the new sets are not much better? I am going through the process of getting a 60738 through Mits because of all the problems I had with their first gen WD52525. I was hoping that most of the issues had been worked out. My 52525 was in the shop quite a bit. Well at least I will have 1080p now.

21 - 40 of 9222 Posts