AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and did not see much on this. Saw plenty on other brands. Was wondering if any of you who have calibrated your sets would be willing to post what your advanced settings are.

Yes I know settings can vary from one TV to another and environmental variables (lighting, etc, etc) also play a factor. But I would be willing to bet that they would still be better than the default "Bright", "Brilliant", and in most cases "Natural".

Here is the only one I have found so far. It's for an 82" set. I tried it on my 73" and it looked a "little" washed out so used Kentucky Windage and adjusted the brightness down a little and to me it looks better than the 3 default settings.

...and as always, if you don't like the picture you can always reset the adv settings to default values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman /forum/post/19007291

For those who want to know...here it is...

I have an 82738. I have calibrated it with the Patched.exe found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=dve+color

I also used the DVE HD Basics blu-ray. You do not need the DVE disk if you just use the patched.exe referenced above. The Patched .exe is EASIER to navigate than DVE! I also used the HCFR Windows 2.1 version found here: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/ColorHCFR/index_en.php

I also used the X-Rite Eye-one LT which can be found here http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-Display.../dp/B000NRODT4

Out of the box the natural setting is actually very close to being calibrated, according to my set and the software I used to take the initial readings. Using all the tools listed here running on a Samsung X-360 laptop with Windows-7 on a solid state hard drive, I was able to achieve nearly perfect calibration within two hours. Of course I have done this before so it may take you a little longer if you have to read through all the instructions.

I was able to get a 2.22 Gamma, very, very good grey-scale, and even the three primary and three secondary colors are so close as to be spot on.
The three primaries needed very little adjustment ((after the initial calibration)). Two of the three secondaries needed a little more tweeking ((after the intial calibration))...Cyan and Magenta were the two needing a little more adjustments. I was able to adjust them individually using the Advanced menus on this TV.

Using the Advanced settings on the 82738 here are my numbers. Of course YMMV!

Picture Mode = ADV

Deep Field Imager = ON

Super Resolution = HIGH

Edge Enhance = ON

Video Noise = HIGH

Brightness = 45

Contrast = 60

Color = 31

Tint = 31

Sharpness = 10

Gamma = 2.2

Red High = 933

Green High = 970

Blue High = 1023

Red Low = -1

Green Low = 1

Blue Low = -1

Blue Only = OFF (obviously)

Red Adjust = 16, 0, 0

Green Adjust = 0, 17, 0

Blue Adjust = 0, 0, 15

Magenta Adjust = 16, 5, 15

Cyan Adjust = 0, 20, 15

Yellow Adjust = 15, 15, 0

Film Mode = AUTO

Smooth 120 = ON

Lamp Energy = STANDARD

After these adjustments the picture is perfect. And I do mean perfect! I didn't think any TV could be adjusted so close to the REC 709 with user friendly menus! High Def from cable looks stunning. Blu-Ray looks fabulous. (Actually it looks stunning also but I thought I would use a different descriptive term for the Blu..)

I have an Oppo BDP-83 running HDMI into a Denon AVR-790 with all HDMI 1080 processing turned OFF in the Denon. The cable also runs into the Denon. All HD signals from the Oppo and the cable are not processed by the Denon. Oppo is set to 1080p 24 frames and the cable is set to 1080i. The TV does all the upscaling of the 1080i from cable and does nothing to the signal from the Oppo. I did not want to do any scaling in the Denon at all so that it would not touch the superior scaling that the Oppo does.

All the settings in this list were used as listed for the calibration. After the calibration some things can be adjusted per taste..such as the Sharpness, Brightness, Contrast, and even the Gamma if you want to. While changing any of these settings will alter the calibrated specs in the software readings...it will NOT actually change the calibration if you return these settings back to what is on the list. Messing with the color settings after the calibration WILL change the calibration!

The other enhanced settings such as Video Noise, Edge Enhance, Super Resolution, Deep Field Imager, Film Mode, and Smooth 120 were all used for the calibration and can be adjusted per taste afterwards. Personally I think the picture looks better when these enhanced settings are in use. As for the Smooth 120....well, I see really no difference with it on or off. I am not doing any 3D stuff so maybe it's more important for 3D???

Now I know there are those who say that you cannot use someone else's settings and expect to get a good image. While this "may" be true I still thought it would be nice for those who DO NOT have the desire, or the ability to do their own calibration, to have some settings they could try. If it looks like crap then just do a reset in the Advanced menu! If you like these settings, or some that you come up with on your own then WRITE THEM DOWN before you ever hit that reset button!!!! The reset will put it back in torch mode and completely clear out your Advanced settings.

So here it is...take it or leave it!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More input: I kind of did the same thing on my 73738. I'll try your settings tonight and see what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotato69
Thank you for posting your calibrated settings!

Logically, my WD-65838 was WAY too bright and washed-out as compared to an 82" with the same settings/bulb... HOWEVER.... Your settings provided a GREAT reference point for me to tweak!

I'm amazed with what I have now after starting from your settings and going from there, rather than the 4 hours I spent from factory to nowhere....

For WD-65x38 owners, here is where I landed on for a 96% - 98% PERFECT setting: YMMV

Picture Mode = ADV

Deep Field Imager = ON

Super Resolution = HIGH

Edge Enhance = ON

Video Noise = HIGH

Brightness = 27

Contrast = 32

Color = 31

Tint = 31

Sharpness = 15

Gamma = 2.2

Red High = 966

Green High = 954

Blue High = 1012

Red Low = 1

Green Low = 1

Blue Low = -1

Blue Only = OFF (obviously)

Red Adjust = 17, 0, 0

Green Adjust = 0, 17, 0

Blue Adjust = 0, 0, 15

Magenta Adjust = 17, 5, 15

Cyan Adjust = 0, 18, 15

Yellow Adjust = 15, 15, 0

Film Mode = AUTO

Smooth 120 = ON

Lamp Energy = STANDARD

Happy watching!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadocs /forum/post/19615071

I did a search and did not see much on this. Saw plenty on other brands. Was wondering if any of you who have calibrated your sets would be willing to post what your advanced settings are.

Yes I know settings can vary from one TV to another and environmental variables (lighting, etc, etc) also play a factor. But I would be willing to bet that they would still be better than the default "Bright", "Brilliant", and in most cases "Natural".

Here is the only one I have found so far. It's for an 82" set. I tried it on my 73" and it looked a "little" washed out so used Kentucky Windage and adjusted the brightness down a little and to me it looks better than the 3 default settings.

...and as always, if you don't like the picture you can always reset the adv settings to default values.

Just got my 82738 yesterday and I can tell you, these settings are AMAZING! The Brilliant setting out of the box is absolutely obnoxious, however after trying your settings, I couldn't be happier. I adjusted sharpness up a little to my own tastes, but every other setting you provided is dead on. Love the picture, the whole idea of not using someone else's settings is ridiculous. Just try them and if you don't like them, adjust to your tastes. Thanks so much for the starting point in finding the perfect picture!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntortiz8809 /forum/post/19936416

the whole idea of not using someone else's settings is ridiculous. Just try them and if you don't like them, adjust to your tastes. Thanks so much for the starting point in finding the perfect picture!
LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noob here:

Thank you so much for posting your settings, I have a 60738 and it's amazing the sharpness and clarity those settings provide. My PC input just - well - the definition is nothing like I've seen before. My photographic slide show is...I've never seen anything so clear, so large.

However - I'm not a purist for authenticity in reproduction - yet - I simply don't know the difference, and I have to admit that I really like the colors in BRILLIANT mode when watching OTA through my HTPC and Antenna broadcasts. But BRILLIANT definitely hoses fidelity.

My dilemma is that I'd like to keep the detail that your settings provide but throw a little more color into it. Changing brightness and contrast helps a bit - but it's just more fun with the colors - I don't know - I'm wrenching my hands in confusion. I've tasted very excellent detail but like the color fun wheel.

Update:

I found a setting that I'm quite satisfied with, I changed:

Red High = 933

Green High = 970

to

Red High = 833

Green High = 870

and brought the brightness down to 20.

It cools down the color a bit the other setting was just too warm for my taste.

Donald

·
Registered
13 Posts
I posted this on the very large 738/838 thread....

Is it possible to access the advance settings menu when streaming movies on VUDU? The only settings the TV allows me to use when streaming movies are the preset factory settings. I'd like to use some of the advance settings for a better picture while going thru VUDU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts