AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday Night Football on ESPN HD

Denver Broncos (3-6) at San Diego Chargers (4-5)

Live from Qualcomm Stadium, 8:30 PM ET

720p & DD5.1

Local Stations:
  • Denver: KTVD
  • San Diego: KFMB

Please include your source in your posts (Cable, Sat, Fiber, IPTV, OTA simulcast in home markets) and your location.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Cablevision LI,NY

Typical very soft, little detail.

Is anyone else seeing black bars on the side when the score ticker on the bottom scrolls by?

I have my TV set on "just scan", and the black bars on the side were pretty noticeable.

As I'm typing this, the ticker is gone and now the picture back to normal.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Usual ESPN bad 720p crapfest. Anything but a closeup is riddled with artifacts/mosquito noise/soft.

Watching via D* on a 50" 1080p plasma.

Nice to see no "artistic effects" applied to the Fastest 3 Minutes.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier /forum/post/19531687

Cablevision LI,NY

Typical very soft, little detail.

Is anyone else seeing black bars on the side when the score ticker on the bottom scrolls by?

I have my TV set on "just scan", and the black bars on the side were pretty noticeable.

As I'm typing this, the ticker is gone and now the picture back to normal.

ESPN shrinks the picture when they put up the Bottomline on stuff that doesn't usually have it like MNF and commercials.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
OK, here we go again. Chargers starting their mid/late season roll.

Look out Peyton, it's those guys again next Sunday.

Let's be honest. The Chargers have driven Peyton nuts the last several times they've met. Doesn't matter whether it's in Indy or San Diego, the Chargers have been nothing but trouble for the Colts.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Granted I watched the whole game live on Slingbox so that doesn't have any bearing. But I did DVR the 1st quarter of the game from ESPN & CBS 8-KFMB, and for what ever the reason, the game on CBS 8-KFMB totally blew away the game on ESPN even though ESPN produced the game. It's almost like somebody took a filter off the game. I don't know if it's because a) CBS 8-KFMB is an OTA station which Time Warner passes through uncompressed, b) CBS 8-KFMB, being a CBS affiliate passes everything through as 1080i since that is what the CBS network passes through for HD, or c) a combination of a & b. But CBS 8-KFMB totally blew away the picture quality of ESPN by a country mile. No video noise and or swimming grass. It looked like how HD used to be, like watching from inside the skybox at the game, my tv actually looked like a window into the stadium. I know people gripe and complain on the quality of Fox HD, but honestly ESPN HD is far more inferior. I would love it if ESPN HD had the quality of Fox HD. Humdinger70, I'd be interested in what your observation on PQ was on the game between ESPN & KFMB.

·
Banned
3,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman /forum/post/19532499

Granted I watched the whole game live on Slingbox so that doesn't have any bearing. But I did DVR the 1st quarter of the game from ESPN & CBS 8-KFMB, and for what ever the reason, the game on CBS 8-KFMB totally blew away the game on ESPN even though ESPN produced the game. It's almost like somebody took a filter off the game. I don't know if it's because a) CBS 8-KFMB is an OTA station which Time Warner passes through uncompressed, b) CBS 8-KFMB, being a CBS affiliate passes everything through as 1080i since that is what the CBS network passes through for HD, or c) a combination of a & b. But CBS 8-KFMB totally blew away the picture quality of ESPN by a country mile. No video noise and or swimming grass. It looked like how HD used to be, like watching from inside the skybox at the game, my tv actually looked like a window into the stadium. I know people gripe and complain on the quality of Fox HD, but honestly ESPN HD is far more inferior. I would love it if ESPN HD had the quality of Fox HD. Humdinger70, I'd be interested in what your observation on PQ was on the game between ESPN & KFMB.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The announcers were totally buried in the audio mix, couldn't hardly hear them at all over crowd noise. Did anyone else have this problem? I checked my audio levels and my test tones were fine and I watch other 5.1 programs with no issues. Watched via D* on an HR20.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts