AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new receiver and I'm new to the A/V world. I haven't read much about what is coming in new receivers.

Is there a good source of info in the 2010 models?

What month of the year do they usually hit the stores?

Can I count on the 2009 receivers being discounted heavily?

When will the year-end sales start?

What kind of discounts can we expect?

I'm thinking about a Pioneer 919. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc0000 /forum/post/18163237

I'm in the market for a new receiver and I'm new to the A/V world....

....I'm thinking about a Pioneer 919. Thanks in advance!!

I had to look it up out of curiosity and found

Link

To me it (the one you're actually talking about, not the laser disc player) looks like a fairly standard entry level receiver.

Honestly, I would hit up your local independent AV retailer and see if they've got anything better they're itching to move out the door. I paid about the same price for my new Onkyo tx-sr607, which I believe is a superior buy.

I've even seen older, new-in-box Integra avr's floating around in this price range.

It also depends a lot on what you're hooking up to it what you're going to be using it for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Samsung 50B860 in a 10x12 den, and playing through a mid-level Polk 5.1 speakers with the small surrounds (a few years old, I don't remember the model number). This is for TV/Movies only, no games or music. So pretty simple really.

I want great sound quality, HDMI pass through from BD player to TV, and a complete on-screen display would be best because I plan to put receiver and BD player in the closet and use a remote IR repeater.

The Onkyo 607 looks pretty good too. I was hoping that either the new models would prompt some great sales and I could jump up to a better receiver, or the new models would give more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by propboyblu /forum/post/18163363

I've even seen older, new-in-box Integra avr's floating around in this price range.

Where? I googled the Integra DTR 20.1 and there were no sellers.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr /forum/post/18163652

Well Sony has just announced the 1st 3D Receiver. I don't know your feelings, vis-a-vie, 3D, but it has HDMI pass through

'HDMI Pass Through' . . . As in "We do absolutely NOTHING! . . . And call it a FEATURE!"

Interesting: Channels 6/7 on the STR-DN1010 can be configured for Front Height speakers as the STR-DN1010 supports DPLIIz!

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc0000 /forum/post/18163237

What month of the year do they usually hit the stores?

As noted in the Sony ad, the new Sony AVRs are available starting in March. The new 2011 lower level Denon 1.4 AVRs will be available in May/June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex /forum/post/18165782

'HDMI Pass Through' . . . As in "We do absolutely NOTHING! . . . And call it a FEATURE!"

HDMI pass-through used to pertain only to passing through HDMI audio/video while the AVR was in Standby, whereas now it also refers to passing through a 3D video signal untouched while still allowing the AVR to process the HD audio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts