AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone lived with the 2010 Savant system using iTouch/iPad controllers? Could you give me some feedback on:

1. expense

2. reliability (is it buggy?)

3. ease of use

I understand that Savant is coming out next year with a remote control, primarily for TV, that has tactile buttons tacked onto an iTouch. I take it that this is in recognition that a touch screen isn't great for channel surfing. Is that a fair inference?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, and I love it! I have 5 iPads, 2 iPod Touch's and and iPhone 4 running my Savant system.

It works, and it works well, I am doing audio/video, HVAC, security, lighting and a number of other cool things with the system. Like all software you make tweaks and that process can take some time, it isn't buggy in my opinion. The company here in Austin that I have used to do the integration has been amazing to work with.

I am deep into my home integration project and could not be happier with my Savant choice.

I know this sounds like a paid testimonial but I will post it for free

The only phase I have not completed is lighting and the Savant True View. We are getting ready to start that in the next week or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's a great help. If you don't mind, pls post what you think about True View once you've been using it a while. It looks a bit gimmicky to me and I think simple labels will be the way to go for me.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Well, I can help a little. We are having a new Savant system installed now, but I don't have extended firsthand experience with it.

Regarding expense ... This is difficult to answer, but depending on what you want to do, you can start out with a simple system just for controlling your gear, security, distributed audio, video, HVAC, pool, etc. Expense adds up when you ask the system to do more. We had to plan for this in phases. A base MSC-24SE control piece is around $6K. But the expense goes up when you want to add cards to increase functionality. For example, a card to add 4 HDMI ports costs $3-4K, forget exactly how much, but that is the range. And you'll need 2 to do a basic 4x4 HDMI matrix for distributed video. So I'm doing distributed audio and video in the second phase. We allotted a majority of our budget for a serious lighting control system retrofit (Vantage) as more of a priority, along with serious security upgrade with cameras.

Obviously I can't comment on reliability, but gregorywelch has that covered.

Ease of use is certainly a strong point. My wife and mother can handle it and that says a lot! If you can operate and iPhone, then the base logic of the Savant Truecontrol app should be no problem. Also, BTW, I think the correct name for the feature that has pictures of your room where you click on lights to turn them on is called Trueimage ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So now I'm considering getting keyless door locks, either code entry or fingerprint. I'm wondering:

1. What brands of lock are compatible with Savant system, what is the best (most high end/reliable) brand?

2. Do people generally have a good experience with powered locks -- work in the cold etc.

3. Should I wait until the technology is better for the fingerprint access?

My wife hates this whole idea, thinks nothing will work as well as a key in a lock.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When using an Apple device as a controller with Savant, do you need to swipe to unlock and then select your Savant app each time? I don't know if Apple allows Savant to bypass the lock screen as well as default to a startup app. It seems like needing to always unlock and then choose the app would get very annoying after a while whenever you need to make any system selections.

I use an iPad as a controller for my family room but it is a secondary controller.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcn /forum/post/19758392

When using an Apple device as a controller with Savant, do you need to swipe to unlock and then select your Savant app each time? I don't know if Apple allows Savant to bypass the lock screen as well as default to a startup app. It seems like needing to always unlock and then choose the app would get very annoying after a while whenever you need to make any system selections.

I use an iPad as a controller for my family room but it is a secondary controller.

The Savant app gets around this by preventing a screen sleep. It blanks the screen and you can have a clock come on as a display. Alternatively, you can setup a picture slideshow so the app effectively sleeps to that. The pics have to reside locally on the iPad, however.

So, assuming you have it powered in wall, there is no swipe to unlock. You tap the screen and the Savant app resumes where you left off.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaG /forum/post/19759244

The Savant app gets around this by preventing a screen sleep. It blanks the screen and you can have a clock come on as a display. Alternatively, you can setup a picture slideshow so the app effectively sleeps to that. The pics have to reside locally on the iPad, however.

So, assuming you have it powered in wall, there is no swipe to unlock. You tap the screen and the Savant app resumes where you left off.

Where do I turn this on. All of my iPads and iPod Touches still power down and need a press on the home key and then an unlock swipe to get back into the Savant program.

I have a 3 iPad system with 6 iPod touches embedded in the walls around the house plus a few portable ones. We also have a couple of Rosie remotes which are the more traditional remote with no display screen and buttons. It uses the TV monitor for a display, so they are only good for use in rooms where there is a TV.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalno /forum/post/19824385

Where do I turn this on. All of my iPads and iPod Touches still power down and need a press on the home key and then an unlock swipe to get back into the Savant program.

I have a 3 iPad system with 6 iPod touches embedded in the walls around the house plus a few portable ones. We also have a couple of Rosie remotes which are the more traditional remote with no display screen and buttons. It uses the TV monitor for a display, so they are only good for use in rooms where there is a TV.

Settings -> Systems -> Settings -> Don't Sleep (turn on)

Settings -> Systems -> Settings -> Screen Saver - make this "Blank" and "Start Screen Saver After" 1 minute or whenever you want it to blank. You can have a clock displayed also with the option on the bottom of the screen saver page.

This is for the iPad. I don't have any iPod Touch's ... yet. I would imagine that it would be similar, though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guys, is there any online store selling the Savant iPad Docks? I really want to get my hands on a few of these..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts