AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a excellent Panasonic 53" CTR-RPTV...

...but it is only 1080i not 1080p and it occupies a ton of space.

I plan to upgrade this year and want something that will sit on a console (i.e. the bottom 18" can not be part of the TV as it is with my current unit); needs to be 1080p; and needs to be bigger than what I have (60" or bigger).

Are there RPTV options to consider over plasma or CRT?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk /forum/post/18150622

None.....RPTV is dead. You might find a one sitting in some shop somewhere but none of the big name companies who made the best RPTVs make them anymore.

That is a sad statement

It's really too bad JVC stopped with the DILA line, and I really held out hope for the Mits LaserVue.

Has everyone really given up on PQ for box size?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The Mits DLPs are still very good PQ. The rumors are that they will offer more sizes with the 2010 Laservue models and I would expect greatly reduce the cost. If they don't, however, the bulb based units still have a great pic and when you can get a 73" TV for 1500, that's alot of bang for the ole buck!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 /forum/post/18151233

The Mits DLPs are still very good PQ. The rumors are that they will offer more sizes with the 2010 Laservue models and I would expect greatly reduce the cost. If they don't, however, the bulb based units still have a great pic and when you can get a 73" TV for 1500, that's alot of bang for the ole buck!

Very true...

There are times when the WD-73C9 can be had for as low online for 1250 or so shipped! Most commonly via Dell, at their ebay store, and also awhile back there was a bing cashback deal through Dell as well.

Amazon has also had it for around the same price, but used. My thinking is, if the price has dropped this much, who knows, maybe this years bulb based version of the WD-73C9 can be had for closer to a grand at times?

That's what I'm going to keep my eye out for this year. Typically the price seems to drop the lowest on their sets around Black Friday, and on out.

I have the 2008 WD-65736 and love everything about it. I just wish that I had gone with a 73" though instead. Back then at the time the price for a 73 was in the 2 grand ball park! Just goes to show how inexpensive these sets have gotten

·
Registered
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp /forum/post/18152181

Very true...

There are times when the WD-73C9 can be had for as low online for 1250 or so shipped! Most commonly via Dell, at their ebay store, and also awhile back there was a bing cashback deal through Dell as well.

Amazon has also had it for around the same price, but used. My thinking is, if the price has dropped this much, who knows, maybe this years bulb based version of the WD-73C9 can be had for closer to a grand at times?

That's what I'm going to keep my eye out for this year. Typically the price seems to drop the lowest on their sets around Black Friday, and on out.

I have the 2008 WD-65736 and love everything about it. I just wish that I had gone with a 73" though instead. Back then at the time the price for a 73 was in the 2 grand ball park! Just goes to show how inexpensive these sets have gotten

While I don't have a MITS DLP, I've viewed many and they are a good bang for the buck. Don't hesitate. By the way, replacement bulbs have come way down in price. Something else to consider. MITS may or may not be staying in the RPTV sector much longer. Just consider a 73 going for 1250. How much longer can MITS put out a line that is going for bargin basement prices? Are they making much money on them? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
When you are the only act in town with a technology and all of your development costs have been amortized and absorbed, it is a no brainer. As long as your production costs stay flat or decline, you make a boatload of money. Mits is actually benefitting from all of the other manufacturers moving totally to Plasma and LCD.

I personally think they shoud stay focused on DLP Laser technology for the Mid-High end market. And even maybe rethink doing Ultra High end RPTV CRT systems for the very best, true esoteric Home Theater systems. They could deploy new technologies that are 1080p compatible like SRT (Super Resolution technology) in a more modular format. By modular I mean 3 piece systems with 1) screen/mirror unit; 2) Base CRT/Gun only Module with video components (only); 3) Out board Video Processor unit (think Radiance XD) to link with the Video Module and AVR for sound. They could include future forward features like adjustable 3 laser (RGB) beam convergence, Greyscale and color calibration via the video processor & video Module for dead on accuracy. And incorporate a matrixed new lined doubled 1080P output (2160p) (1440p) and (960P) to go along with a native resolution of 1080p. In other words, make the Video processor capable of outputting any format it receives to the CRT/Gun module from 480p-1080p. Then allow the user to switch to an SRT Matrix resolution if desired (480x2-720x2-1080x2). It would be expensive for a user. But they would own the high end Home Theater market with that approach. The true High end market prefers CRT and that technology has not nearly been optimized for future Super Resolution standards. Mits could bridge us half way there with the CRT/SRT and DLP approach. And they would remain competitive in the Mid-Hi market with Laser DLP. The CRT modular system could be produced in 55",65" and 75" sizes without serious weight penalties (like the old units, because of the modular configuration. The Video module for example would be smaller than a current stand for a big DLP unit.

Just wishful thinking on my part. But if that system existed, I would buy the 65 incher in a heart beat for 10-12 grand.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly /forum/post/18154301

When you are the only act in town with a technology and all of your development costs have been amortized and absorbed, it is a no brainer. As long as your production costs stay flat or decline, you make a boatload of money. Mits is actually benefitting from all of the other manufacturers moving totally to Plasma and LCD.

I personally think they shoud stay focused on DLP Laser technology for the Mid-High end market. And even maybe rethink doing Ultra High end RPTV CRT systems for the very best, true esoteric Home Theater systems. They could deploy new technologies that are 1080p compatible like SRT (Super Resolution technology) in a more modular format. By modular I mean 3 piece systems with 1) screen/mirror unit; 2) Base CRT/Gun only Module with video components (only); 3) Out board Video Processor unit (think Radiance XD) to link with the Video Module and AVR for sound. They could include future forward features like adjustable 3 laser (RGB) beam convergence, Greyscale and color calibration via the video processor & video Module for dead on accuracy. And incorporate a matrixed new lined doubled 1080P output (2160p) (1440p) and (960P) to go along with a native resolution of 1080p. In other words, make the Video processor capable of outputting any format it receives to the CRT/Gun module from 480p-1080p. Then allow the user to switch to an SRT Matrix resolution if desired (480x2-720x2-1080x2). It would be expensive for a user. But they would own the high end Home Theater market with that approach. The true High end market prefers CRT and that technology has not nearly been optimized for future Super Resolution standards. Mits could bridge us half way there with the CRT/SRT and DLP approach. And they would remain competitive in the Mid-Hi market with Laser DLP. The CRT modular system could be produced in 55",65" and 75" sizes without serious weight penalties (like the old units, because of the modular configuration. The Video module for example would be smaller than a current stand for a big DLP unit.

Just wishful thinking on my part. But if that system existed, I would buy the 65 incher in a heart beat for 10-12 grand.

I agree with alot of whAt you are saying however consumers don't want CRT projection anymore. I love the image they can reproduce! I own two of the best ever made a mits ws73711 with the 9" guns and a pro730hd both calibrated have incredible black levels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.