AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I haven't played through a number of the 2010 releases, but being how it's almost year end it seemed appropriate to start this thread. Some notables to get you started, including multi-platform and a couple WiiWare :

( Full list )
  • No More Heroes 2
  • Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
  • Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll
  • Endless Ocean: Blue World
  • Mega Man 10 (WiiWare)
  • Cave Story (WiiWare)
  • Red Steel 2
  • Monster Hunter Tri
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
  • Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
  • Metroid Other M
  • Wii Party
  • Kirbys Epic Yarn
  • Active Life Explorer
  • Bit.Trip FATE (WiiWare)
  • Tales of Monkey Island (WiiWare)
  • Rock Band 3
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • DJ Hero 2
  • Sonic Colors
  • NBA Jam
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Epic Mickey
  • Fluidity (WiiWare)
  • ThruSpace (WiiWare)
  • Super Mario All-Stars Wii

Mine:

1) Metroid: Other M. Great graphics, fun to blast around the environments, solid camera, and agood though teen angst-y backstory that reveals a lot. Plus it felt like Metroid meets Dead Space to me. I'll play through this one again, for sure.

2) Kirby's Epic Yarn. Coolest art style in ages. The game is easy, and the levels/bosses/puzzles aren't very hard, but darnit if it isn't just the most 'awwwwwww' inducing game in a long time.

3) TIE: ThruSpace, and Nintendo for reintroducing WiiWare demos!! I didn't play any WiiWare outside of Mega Man 10 this year until the demos hit last week... and I instantly got ThruSpace and Jett Rocket. ThruSpace is just an excellent puzzle game that ties my brain and hands in knots (think Tetris but one block going through holes in the walls rather than on other blocks), And Jett Rocket is like Mario Sunshine if it was only a four hour ride. I've already played it through once in a single sitting, and can't wait to play it again.

So there you have it, my start to this little discussion. What say you, AVS'ers?

-vdz

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Nothing on or missing form your list that I would argue.

Mine? In no real order other than stream of consciousness...

1-SMG 2. While I planned to eventually go back & find EVERY last thing in the 1st game, the smile Part 2 put on my face (and the overall more fun I had with it), led me to dump #1 & my completed Metroid Other M game to get the RB3 keyboard for free. The original was my fave Mario title - SMG 2 replaced that.

2- Rock Band 3. Yeah, music games are old hat. But HMX managed to both assemble arguably the best game of it's kind to date & squeeze pretty much all of it's coolness into the Wii edition this year. DLC whores rejoiced when track packs/albums were finally offered as well as a sorta limited, but still appreciated export option from previous RB titles. Having the ability to stick all this on large SD cards helps, too. The same great classic RB gameplay - but with some minor polish, the cool new Pro options & keyboard and what has so far shaped up to be an awesome lineup of new DLC. Doors on launch week, Bon Jovi, Bee Gees, Billy Joel, Queen, Skynyrd, John Lennon.......all in all, my most played Wii title these days.

3-Goldeneye 007. Hey, I like FPS games & own a Wii. I was one of the N64 Goldeneye addicts in the early '90s, too. This was a no-brainer. Good thing it turned out to be a solid game all around.

4- COD: Black Ops. See #3. Add dashes of RB3 comments from #2 (new features, more "complete" COD game for Wii). Rinse. Repeat.

5- No More Heroes 2. Loved the 1st. Really loved that the good stuff from #1 was packed in & multiplied in the sequel.

6-Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. Tickled the old Steet Fighter/Mortal Kombat nostalgia in me with a more modern take on the genre. Capcom needs to make more VS Wii games, damn it!

7- Metroid Other M. Story stuff did not bother me at all - guess I'm not a huge Samus geek. But enjoyed it's mishmash of old & new. Great looking game, too. Not enough love to have kept it, though - played thru the whole thing & dumped it for some other budget-minded soul to pcik up & enjoy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Tough calls, all.

I guess I'd vote SMG 2 for Wii game of the year.

Second place would be a tie between Monster Hunter Tri and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

I enjoyed Metroid: Other M...but I think it was a little weaker than I expected.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
GOTY: Gotta go with SMG2. I expected to be underwhelmed with it, not thinking there was much more to be done with the gravity-based gameplay, and thinking it was too soon for me to want to play an "expansion pack" besides. But it really takes out what minuscule badness there was in the near-perfect original, and refines everything so it's basically non-stop ingenious fun. It is easily the best 3D platformer ever made, if not the best platformer ever made. Never before have I felt compelled to go much further past 100-some stars in a 3D Mario game--but in this one, I went all the way to 251 and loved every minute.

Runner-Up: Donkey Kong Country Returns. What SMG2 is to 3D platforming, DKCR is to 2D platforming. Level design is truly inspired; it seems like you're given something new to do nearly every other level. In retrospect NSMBW seems relatively unadventurous in its level design, not really busting out the crazy stuff till fairly late worlds and relying a lot on playing co-op with 2-4 assisted suiciders for much of its enjoyment factor. On the other hand, DKCR breaks out the merciless genius early on and never lets go. Its only problem is that it may be TOO merciless: It wouldn't surprise me if most people on this board never beat it.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
DKCR got added to an XMAS list the wife was assembling...maybe my best of will get editied?

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I am hoping to play SMG2 and GE007 soon but I played DKCR and easily think it's one of the best games of the past few years. It's just such a good 2D platformer and we haven't gotten many of them in the past 15 years. Anybody over the age of 25 or so who plays videogames should buy it, and if they don't have a Wii, they should get that too. It's that good.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Mine is probably Monster Hunter Tri with Super Mario Galaxy 2 as my next pick. Hopefully, Donkey Kong Country Returns is as good as I expect it to be, so that may be my GOTY.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom was (is) a lot of fun, but it didn't hold my interest for very long, but I may go back to it eventually.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands was a great game, designed specifically for the Wii, that unfortunately seems to have been overlooked by a lot of people who would enjoy it. Like Dead Space: Extraction last year, its failure to generate sales is probably going to be used as an example of why it's not worth the the time & expense it takes to make a good game for the Wii market.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E /forum/post/19679288

Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands was a great game, designed specifically for the Wii, that unfortunately seems to have been overlooked by a lot of people who would enjoy it. Like Dead Space: Extraction last year, its failure to generate sales is probably going to be used as an example of why it's not worth the the time & expense it takes to make a good game for the Wii market.

The problem with PoP:Forgotten Sands is that a different version was also available for the 360/PS3....and when given a choice, the hardcore gamer will purchase that one. I did...and regretted it. The 360 version was utterly mediocre. It wasn't bad, by any measure...it just felt rote, like they just recycled stuff from previous games without really grasping what made them work so well.

And if you want a poster child for 'M' rated games that failed on the Wii, you need go no further than my local Five Below, where boxes of 'MadWorld' sit, priced at $4.99. And I liked MadWorld, even if it got darned repetitive at points.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E /forum/post/19679288

It doesn't help that most websites/magazines will review one version of a game (generally Xbox) , assuming the Wii version is a port when it's not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.