AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Winter Olympics on NBC HD

Ice Hockey Gold Medal Game

USA vs. Canada

Sunday February 28, 2010

3:15pm ET

1080i & DD5.1

Another special topic for this one, as it ought to be another great game.

Even after getting beat by the US in a earlier round game, Canada is still the favorite today.

They are also still under a nationwide microscope, which unquestionably adds a great deal of pressure.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 /forum/post/18222531

And there's Don Cherry

Yes, nice touch by NBC.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
We all started cracking up when Don Cherry showed up...as true hockey fans we all watch HNIC and it was some funny stuff.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL /forum/post/18222548

He predicts Canada will win by 2 goals, not very good for American viewers.

That was the line for last game as well. I just hope it's half as entertaining as their previous matchup.

·
Registered
45,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL /forum/post/18222548

He predicts Canada will win by 2 goals, not very good for American viewers.

Well, let's face facts. In the first game, the US was somewhat of an unknown. You can bet the entire Canadian hockey staff has been pouring over the tapes and they will make changes. You can bet Babcock will juggle the lines like you've never seen; if Canada gets behind by 2 or more goals, I would not be surprised to see high powered defensemen on offensive lines,

But, this game is not a sure thing for either team by any means. The way Ryan Miller has been playing the US could easily win. If you look at the roster, the Canadian team should be favored. It could go either way, and if either goaltender stands on their head, which I think may just happen, that will be the difference.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr /forum/post/18222576

Who gets Pierre McGuire NBC or CTV?

At the top of the hour, he was on CTV. But perhaps his service is being shared today? The two networks might not have him on at the same time, but they each can him once in a while?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Thank you for airing this live NBC!!!

I'm glued to the screen. Usually I'm pretty pro-Canada up here in the NW, but NOT TODAY!

GO USA!! GO USA!!! Hey Canada: you've got healthcare, WE'VE GOT BOMBS!!!

If this is anywhere close to as exciting as the previous match-up, it should be FANTASTIC!

·
Registered
45,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Puck seems a little jumpy.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Surrounds are extremely low for this game. Every other game on NBC and the other channels has had far more back there. KXAS Dallas via FiOS.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/18222703

Surrounds are extremely low for this game. Every other game on NBC and the other channels has had far more back there. KXAS Dallas via FiOS.

Not much action there, just a little bit of residual crowd noise. Most everything is in the front for me, KING TV via OTA here in seattle.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
It's amusing that the announcers keep assuming Americans don't know about hockey and keep making baseball and football references. It's not like it's soccer here, the NHL is a pretty big deal...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Watch the scoreboard in the upper right lose sharpness and blur at times. Picture blurs at the same time. OTA, QAM and Dishnetwork HD here

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Glad the NHL owners are upset the season is being interrupted for 2 weeks and wants Ametuer players back in the Olympics.

·
Registered
681 Posts
KNBC-DT via Verizon FiOS. PQ decent but not as great as MSNBC due to the subchannels, but that's irrelevant as NBC did something right for once by airing this live throughout the country. It'd be silly if they didn't as Canada went a step further by simulcasting this game (CTV is already live coast to coast) on other Canadian networks.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren /forum/post/18222717

Watch the scoreboard in the upper right lose sharpness and blur at times. Picture blurs at the same time. OTA, QAM and Dishnetwork HD here

Sounds like an incorrectly configured Flexicoder at your NBC affiliate. Canned response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/0

Blurring on high-motion shots is almost certainly due to your local affiliate using an improperly-configured Harris Flexicoder. The station's engineer needs to go into the config for the encoder and set the prefilter (aka "prefilt") to 1 or disabled. Having it set to 0 or adaptive causes the encoder to blur when high motion is shown, such as a fast pan across a detailed screen, or a logo flying across the screen after a replay or whatever. This issue (and the fix) is known by all the networks, and the station engineer should be able to contact the network's engineering department to confirm this.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts