AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have to believe that the reason for this is either:

A) The facilities can't support it because of the extra equipment and bandwidth needed for 3D.

B) There's something in their contract with the NFL that prohibits it.

More likely it's the A senario. I sure wish they would try though.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slirp /forum/post/20841948

I have to believe that the reason for this is either:

A) The facilities can't support it because of the extra equipment and bandwidth needed for 3D.

B) There's something in their contract with the NFL that prohibits it.

More likely it's the A senario. I sure wish they would try though.

Most likely neither.

They have already proven they can do 3D on a regular basis, including college football and basketball, and the NBA.

I don't see any reason why the NFL wouldn't want MNF in 3D, although I suppose that's more likely than technically not being able to do it.

It could be a money issue. It could be something else we don't know about, for example, since the entire NFL season was in question until recently, maybe ESPN didn't have contracts for the 3D production units they would need. Maybe the 3D units they want have other commitments, maybe they are trying to make arrangements now. Who knows.

But, it's not over until the fat lady sings. In other words, be patient.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Definitely about money.

We're talking about NFL here.

Personally, I won't see it happen until 3D display has reached some comfort level in term of numbers of viewers available to see the game in 3D in order for the NFL to consider or re-consider.

Then anything possible.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Does ESPN really think they can support their 3D channel? I LOVE 3D, but I'm about to drop it. The only reason I keep it is in hope for something MORE!!! $10 a month this summer has been rough.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two /forum/post/20843688

Does ESPN really think they can support their 3D channel? I LOVE 3D, but I'm about to drop it. The only reason I keep it is in hope for something MORE!!! $10 a month this summer has been rough.

That's not an ESPN issue, that's your provider. Get DirecTV or Comcast and it's no additional charge.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It may also have to do with the game itself. I've seen the Fiesta Bowl in 3D on ESPN, and wasn't that impressed. One of the problems with 3D is you need to show completely different angles to really make it POP for sports. Basketball has looked pretty good here and there, but it's still fairly hit or miss. Football is classically shown primarily through that sideline camera, which 3D will do NOTHING for. We need fancier, different angles that require a whole different thought process. Cameras from above, from the corners of the field, etc. I'd rather they wait and get it right than rush it out in a half-assed fashion.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom /forum/post/20852942

It may also have to do with the game itself. I've seen the Fiesta Bowl in 3D on ESPN, and wasn't that impressed. One of the problems with 3D is you need to show completely different angles to really make it POP for sports. Basketball has looked pretty good here and there, but it's still fairly hit or miss. Football is classically shown primarily through that sideline camera, which 3D will do NOTHING for. We need fancier, different angles that require a whole different thought process. Cameras from above, from the corners of the field, etc. I'd rather they wait and get it right than rush it out in a half-assed fashion.

My biggest issue with ESPN3D is the announcers. Until they can simulcast with the standard ESPNHD feed, I won't ever do much more then check it out from time-to-time.

When I can watch in 3D with the regular broadcast annouce teams, I'll be thrilled, however I'm guessing this is still a few years out.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs /forum/post/0

My biggest issue with ESPN3D is the announcers. Until they can simulcast with the standard ESPNHD feed, I won't ever do much more then check it out from time-to-time.

When I can watch in 3D with the regular broadcast annouce teams, I'll be thrilled, however I'm guessing this is still a few years out.

That's what they're doing with the LLWS. The HD broadcast is just one eye of the 3D feed. They call it 5D.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentrisk /forum/post/20865667

so another year and still no content!!!!!!!!! So we are going to have 0 NFL games in 3D this year???? This is crazy!!

I would not give up just yet.

I certainly hope ESPN can pull a rabbit out of its hat.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.