AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4126 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't think you're understanding my perspective/point/criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/20634266

Never seen it done.

I'd posit that the reason we don't generally see it done is because an informed consumer buying DLP wouldn't be looking to hang it in the first place.

Quote:

The screen is a dark grey when turned off. No mirror effect.

I was/am referring to when the display is on, not off. Because they're not "direct view," the best performance with these displays is achieved when one's eyeline is at the same height as the middle of the screen. The ability to achieve that would be problematized by hanging the set, ostensibly at a height higher than one's head.

Quote:

I was just saying that I can't see someone hanging a DLP on a wall or from a ceiling. I've never seen it done. I wouldn't think of doing it.

Precisely. So my question/criticism therefore is: Why--as the first element of a response to someone inquiring about comparative virtues/demerits of DLP versus plasma--say "The big disadvantage of DLP is the thickness of the sets. They don't look very cool when hung on the wall" when no one in their right mind who understands the virtues of DLP (RPTV) should be looking to hang it in the first place?

And it seems to me the thickness is minimal is any room big enough to accommodate a 73" + display. I think the 73738 is 18" deep and I have it about another 18" away from the wall so I can get back there for connections/wiring and I literally don't notice the thickness anymore when I'm looking at the whole room.

But then again, 73" is looking small to me these days and that 82" is calling my name . . .

·
Registered
879 Posts
Does the 83840 have the same bulb as the 73840?

Does the 73840 have the clear screen (as implied on the Mits press release), but which appears to be contradicted on the detailed specs sheet for the 840 series?

Are there any differences between the 840 series and the 838 series in the DLP chips, video processors, or other features affecting picture quality?

Have any improvements been made in the 840 series to reduce the reliability issues that were raised with many of the previous year's sets?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just want to throw this out early, but looking at getting the 82840 but thinking initial price will be a factor. would like advise on which might be better..the 82838 or 82740? I know the 740 are not in anyones hands yet, but both are close to same price right now. I like the fact that the 740 has the 3d emiiter built in, but really interested in the picture quality between the two.

I could still go for the 840 if the new contrast screen is a big helper over the lower end models.

Thx

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S /forum/post/20642457

And it seems to me the thickness is minimal is any room big enough to accommodate a 73" + display.

I think that space in the room isn't the issue when people are looking to wall mount a TV.

[/quote]

I think the 73738 is 18" deep and I have it about another 18" away from the wall so I can get back there for connections/wiring and I literally don't notice the thickness anymore when I'm looking at the whole room.

[/quote]

That 18" allowance seems very exceesive. Mine is only a few inches from the wall.

[/quote]

But then again, 73" is looking small to me these days and that 82" is calling my name . . .
[/quote]

If you want a really large picture, first comes RPTV and then comes the full-tilt projector...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Starting to like the LaserVue models.

I wonder how the 82" DLP's compare against last years LaserVue..

and if this years LaserVue is going to be heads above last years to warrent the high cost.

Scott

·
Registered
885 Posts
Arnold:

You're now responding to micro issues not related to my larger, macro point which I trust I clarified sufficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/20652000

I think that space in the room isn't the issue when people are looking to wall mount a TV.
Quote:

That 18" allowance seems very exceesive. Mine is only a few inches from the wall.

Interesting, problematic penchant for speaking broadly/speculating about what others' priorities are/might be.

I prefer to be able to literally walk and kneel down behind my 73738 and other components, thus the 'excessive' space between the wall and the back of my display.

Quote:

If you want a really large picture, first comes RPTV and then comes the full-tilt projector...

Not really. A true PJ is the/would have been my first choice. But I am very interested in 3D and the 3D PJ choices at the time I was ready to buy were slim and pricey. I hope that will continue to change over the next 18 months or so.

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erion racer /forum/post/20667557

2nd the motion

There have been decent deals lately on the 2010 82" models but what really matters is what is different in the 2011 and is the extra cash worth it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If a retailer puts an item on there site at an advertized price, you complete the order process and your card shows a pending charge for the item....but the retailer contacts you stating the advertized proce was wrong and the item cannot be sold as advertized, what would you do about this?

Are there ot consumer laws covering issues like this? I know if a local store had an item with the wrong price tag, they have to sell it to you since its marked this way. Would this not also apply in this situation?

Just asking since this situation may arise for me n an item.

Scott

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e /forum/post/20672190

If a retailer puts an item on there site at an advertized price, you complete the order process and your card shows a pending charge for the item....but the retailer contacts you stating the advertized proce was wrong and the item cannot be sold as advertized, what would you do about this?

Are there ot consumer laws covering issues like this? I know if a local store had an item with the wrong price tag, they have to sell it to you since its marked this way. Would this not also apply in this situation?

Just asking since this situation may arise for me n an item.

Scott

No. to my knowledge there is no law, when it happens at a local store they usually honor it but they don't have to. Several retailers post this exact situation so they don't have to honor it.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd /forum/post/20671079

There have been decent deals lately on the 2010 82" models but what really matters is what is different in the 2011 and is the extra cash worth it.

Yeah that's what im wanting to know is the difference between the 2 tv's

·
Registered
218 Posts
Will be getting the 82840 as soon as they release...looking at a simple (sturdy) stand for this set. Will this one work: OmniMount Echo 63 63-Inch Video Table

..just wish it came in black. or is there one similiar but in black and maybe a bit wider?

Thx

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e /forum/post/20685360

Will be getting the 82840 as soon as they release...looking at a simple (sturdy) stand for this set. Will this one work: OmniMount Echo 63 63-Inch Video Table

..just wish it came in black. or is there one similiar but in black and maybe a bit wider?

Thx

Why not the bce72 by Techcraft?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e /forum/post/20685360

Thx

I otredered the 63 Echo for a 73 inch the espresso brown is perfect for me and will leave only and 1 inch over hang on each side, but the hieght and depth are for a lack of a better word perfect, I got for 170.00 shipped from cymax.com

21 - 40 of 4126 Posts