AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1424 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFlorida  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/900#post_23081296

I didn't mean that. I guess I was thinking it would be like a PC monitor and go into sleep mode after a few minutes of no use. I found out that it is better just to leave it on a few hours unwatched than to turn it off and on constantly.

PC monitors go into sleep mode because of inactivity from the user. If you were to stop using your mouse or keyboard for a specified amount of time, then your monitor would go into sleep mode.

How would you expect your TV to be able to do this same thing? Unless you had your TV hooked up to a computer.

What you're asking doesn't make any sense. How could a TV know you're no longer in the room watching TV, and thus, go into sleep mode to save power?!?

·
UHD Addict
38,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/900#post_23081930

PC monitors go into sleep mode because of inactivity from the user. If you were to stop using your mouse or keyboard for a specified amount of time, then your monitor would go into sleep mode.

How would you expect your TV to be able to do this same thing? Unless you had your TV hooked up to a computer.

What you're asking doesn't make any sense. How could a TV know you're no longer in the room watching TV, and thus, go into sleep mode to save power?!?

well that would be easy. My brothers Sony TV does it. It has a camera that detects if someone is in the room watching TV. When it doesn't detect someone there, after a certain amount of time the TV turns off.

I run all my devices through several other devices, whether it's an HDMI switch, scaler, or digital video enhancer. If any of those devices are off, my Mitsubishi won't get a video signal.(and no audio is sent to the TV either). So for some reason if the TV does not get the signal to turn off, I know it will turn off on it's own. Which is nice. But nothing new. My 1991 32" tube TV also did the same thing.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/900#post_23081991

well that would be easy. My brothers Sony TV does it. It has a camera that detects if someone is in the room watching TV. When it doesn't detect someone there, after a certain amount of time the TV turns off.

I run all my devices through several other devices, whether it's an HDMI switch, scaler, or digital video enhancer. If any of those devices are off, my Mitsubishi won't get a video signal.(and no audio is sent to the TV either). So for some reason if the TV does not get the signal to turn off, I know it will turn off on it's own. Which is nice. But nothing new. My 1991 32" tube TV also did the same thing.

Proof or it doesn't exist!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I guess my real question is, what is the best way to preserve life of the lamp, turn it off periodically during the day or just leave it on? I have heard that it is harder on the lamp to be turned on and off several times a day than to just leave it on continuously.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/900#post_23082141

Proof or it doesn't exist!
My PS3 is set to shut down after a few hours of inactivity. My Mits DLPTV detects the lack of signal and in about 4 minutes warns that it will shut down if a key is not pressed within one minute. It is a WD-65835 from 2008. Try it on your own set.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFlorida  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/900#post_23082195

I guess my real question is, what is the best way to preserve life of the lamp, turn it off periodically during the day or just leave it on? I have heard that it is harder on the lamp to be turned on and off several times a day than to just leave it on continuously.
2 hours or less I would leave it on, otherwise shut it off

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/870#post_23052336

I'm getting the same thing on mine using the Disney WOW disk using there scailing test which is a 1x1 pixel checkerboard pattern. I tried adjusting the set in the service menu and lined it up better and its still like this. Picture looks good though otherwise but wondering whats causing this to happen during the test and if its something to be concerned about?

I just got my 82842 set last Thursday.

EDIT:

Just wanted to add that my 6 year old 61" Samsung DLP shows this pattern perfectly and also for my 3 year old 42" Pany Plasma and same for my 32" LCD in the bed room.

Isn't the factory geometry correction a lovely sight to see.!

Not all sets look as wild as your pitcutre,, Mine just has one area of moire with correction on. I don't run correction. The only thing you can do is turn off correction and see if you can tolerate the set with correction off. It varies dramatically from set to set. My 92840 its no contest which I find more tolerable. I will take the slight horizontal dip to the center. Can not see it on normal content. The correction to my way of looking totally farkles sharpness, sure not as obviously as on test patterns, but the test patterns are telling you something aren't they.

I use a Win 7 MC HTPC with a Ceton cable tuner and 2 HD Homeruns for my TV source. The only time I notice the geometry is in the program guide and it is just not relevant. Now if you have a corner or two that are very unsquare that can be really annoying. Also if you have bad barrel or pincushion distortion such the in full screen mode the overscan doesn't hide it then geometry correction is a necessary evil. In my case the cure is far worse than the disease. My 82837 was almost perfect with correction off. That was I think in part because the 2009 82" ihav has a very stiff chassis and the physical screen did not bow much. In every other way my 2011, 92840 is a vastly superior device.

Fortunately the bow is at the very top and minor. The same amount of bow at the bottom would be annoying especially with an HTPC or programs like CNN, ESPN and CNBC where you have lot of tickers and rectangular informaton banner horizontal accross much of the bottom of the screen.

Too bad Mits chose an electronic control of geometry instead of a mechanical, One with an adjustable platform for the light engine perch would have been the way to go.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/900#post_23082877

Not all sets look as wild as your pitcutre,, Mine just has one area of moire with correction on. I don't run correction. The only thing you can do is turn off correction and see if you can tolerate the set with correction off. It varies dramatically from set to set. My 92840 its no contest which I find more tolerable. I will take the slight horizontal dip to the center. Can not see it on normal content. The correction to my way of looking totally farkles sharpness, sure not as obviously as on test patterns, but the test patterns are telling you something aren't they.

I use a Win 7 MC HTPC with a Ceton cable tuner and 2 HD Homeruns for my TV source. The only time I notice the geometry is in the program guide and it is just not relevant. Now if you have a corner or two that are very unsquare that can be really annoying. Also if you have bad barrel or pincushion distortion such the in full screen mode the overscan doesn't hide it then geometry correction is a necessary evil. In my case the cure is far worse than the disease. My 82837 was almost perfect with correction off. That was I think in part because the 2009 82" ihav has a very stiff chassis and the physical screen did not bow much. In every other way my 2011, 92840 is a vastly superior device.

Fortunately the bow is at the very top and minor. The same amount of bow at the bottom would be annoying especially with an HTPC or programs like CNN, ESPN and CNBC where you have lot of tickers and rectangular informaton banner horizontal accross much of the bottom of the screen.

Too bad Mits chose an electronic control of geometry instead of a mechanical, One with an adjustable platform for the light engine perch would have been the way to go.

Thanks for the info.. I don't see an option to turn off correction in the service menu.. Any ideas?

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/900#post_23082877

Thanks for the info.. I don't see an option to turn off correction in the service menu.. Any ideas?

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/900#post_23084361

Hey guys,

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find a 92" at this point?

Id say call paulstv and see if they have any left. http://www.paulstv.com/ there wont be any left on there site but they may still have some stock in Cal in there computer.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks,

Called them already and they are out of stock. I am checking with a local shop. They may a new 92" 840 left. They are asking $2999 for it. Hopefully I can talk them down some if they actually have one left. Hopefully it isn't too full of cobwebs from gathering dust for 2 years.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/930#post_23084466

Thanks,

Called them already and they are out of stock. I am checking with a local shop. They may a new 92" 840 left. They are asking $2999 for it. Hopefully I can talk them down some if they actually have one left. Hopefully it isn't too full of cobwebs from gathering dust for 2 years.

I got my 82842 a couple of weeks ago (ordered a month ago) for $1799.. though I bought the new stand and pair of 3D glasses and Wi-Fi usb thingy for $2199 and they tossed in a new 3D player for $30 extra and I also got the 5 year warrenty for another $350.

82 is huge and I don't think the 92 would of made it into my house haha. Really only wanted the 73 but they didn't have anymore.

·
Registered
453 Posts
FWIW-

My wd65c9 turned off after a few minutes without an input signal but my wd73-742 does not. They apparently disabled this.

It was a mixed blessing, nice at times, but an annoyance at others when you wanted it to stay on for 5 minutes w/o a signal and but then had to fire up a cold lamp again.

Turning it on cold especially stresses the lamp, but then so does having the lamp on for extended periods. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
10,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/900#post_23084361

Hey guys,

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find a 92" at this point?

Walts.com is showing that they have the 92742 and 92842 but they're $5,799 and $5,999...

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/920_40#post_23081930

I will give you an example. I have a Samsung BluRay DVD player hooked up to the Mitsubishi. If I put the (Netflix) Blu-ray player on pause, it turns itself off after a few minutes and will not send a video signal to the HDTV. It will signal the same with HDMI. With no video activity, will the DLP TV go to sleep or just stay on?

P.S. I just checked and the tv did turn off after the bluray player turned itself off, so that is good. I will have to try the same "experiment" when I put my DirecTV DVR on pause for an extended time.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/920_40#post_23084466

Thanks,

I would wait a few more weeks. Mitsubishi has been selling refurbs at half-price on the 73" model, I think they will be doing the same for their larger sized models. You should be able to get one for under $2000, but they may be labeled "refurb" when sometimes they are almost new.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFlorida  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/930#post_23088056

I would wait a few more weeks. Mitsubishi has been selling refurbs at half-price on the 73" model, I think they will be doing the same for their larger sized models. You should be able to get one for under $2000, but they may be labeled "refurb" when sometimes they are almost new.

May want to be careful if you try and wait it out.

Tigerdirect has been selling those 73" refurbs for $799.00 for at least the last couple of months consistently. At least at that price. The 73" set has been on their site but they sold out of any other size months ago. Even for refurbs.

I've been trying to find a 92" set for the last 6 months or so and the only site that has been selling them online is walts, but they want around 6 grand for it.

If it were me, I would not take a chance and risk waiting for something that doesn't appear likely to materialize. Not saying it won't happen, you never know, but it doesn't seem likely to me at least.

Same for the 82" sets when those began drying up as well. Prices went nuts. They jacked the prices on those once the inventory got to where there were only a few sets left. Now that's happened to the 92" sets. They realize these are no longer being made, so all the larger sets are getting marked up big time. The 73" isn't probably because you can find a somewhat comparably priced LCD in that size range, without having to spend a ton of money. Where as with the 82" and the 92", you would have to pay a TON of money to get it in an LCD format.

The lowest price anyone has ever had for a 92" was around $2400-2500.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhulett  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/630#post_22785675

I was hoping this wasn't an issue any more as I have a 73C9 and a 73742 being delivered next week. In the 73C9, there is a cross member inside the tv attached to the top of the cabinet, probably for structure support, that seems to reflect part of the picture back onto the screen from the inside. Had a repair guy out right after getting the C9 and mitsubishi wouldn't do anything about it. About the only thing you can do, is to affix some type of non reflective material to the support, but that would mean taking off the screen, which I was never brace enough to do. I does seem to diminish in time, maybe dust coats it, that it isn't a big issue now, but I was hoping they had fixed it on newer models.

Has anyone confirmed that this works? I have a new WD73742 and a 2010 WD65738 and both have the issue... it's worse on the 742 and needs to be fixed. I've taken off the screen on my 65738 before (it's not hard to do) so I'd do it again on my 742 if I was sure I could fix it. Is the reflective bar part of the screen assembly or on the interior of the television? What does it look like?

921 - 940 of 1424 Posts