AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1424 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/960#post_23174889

What is your source of video? If it is DirecTV, then the SD is pretty poor compared to Dish and most cable companies.

And how big are those other tvs? With an 82" HDTV any SD isn't going to look great or maybe even not acceptable. I have a 73742 and Dish as my primary video and some SD is very good, some just tolerable and some not watcheable, very channel dependent. With Netflix, Amazon and HULU, the SD on my set looks very good and of course the HD looks much better.

With Dish's better overall SD I still notice that many sports in SD don't look very good though most are tolerable.

I have regular cable television. My other tv is a 42 inch Samsung.

Is there anything that can be done about the SD quality?

I've also streamed a game on Roku....ok quality, not great.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah SD is yuky on this set. Just checked it out and it looked pretty bad. I never watch SD. Glad theres a crap load of HD stations for everything I watch on ATT's UVerse.

If you cant stream MLB in HD from a computer.. wonder if theres another cable service that may have MLB in HD?

Just gota remember that on a screen this large a crappy signal will look much worse as the pixels are larger then on a smaller set. So crap in, crap out.

Other then all that most likely each station will look different with its signal and recording.. the MLB channels may look better then others in SD.

Also make sure your cable line since analog is newer and up to specs.. not crossing power cords, ext. If theres any splitters in the line there good quality and of high signal strength and theres no open ends that are not being used as can interfere. Like a 4 way with only 3 ends used. They sell caps that can be installed on the open ends to prevent noise in the signal.

Also want to point out something else.. when I recently added a power conditioner that also included cable inputs and I rerouted all my cable lines through it.. I noticed when I removed the cable connection from the wall that the connection threads on both ends where all dark and nasty looking. I cleaned them up real good with rubbing alcohol and q-tips and paper towel and shinned them up like new again. The threads are the ground connection to the cable line so obviously this would help to clean to keep a good strong signal. Also on the ends of the cable is a thin copper wire that sticks out. You should clean that as well. May even take some fine sandpaper and rub it to a shine (which I did not do). My old man used to take a knife and scrap clean the copper wire to get a better signal hehe.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
As was said, the bigger the screen the more you notice differences in picture quality.

For instance, DVDs played on my 73" are just fine, as is the SD from the main streaming services. But SD from different sources is all over the place.

I run all my video sources through my Denon 2113ci AVR and have it massage the video a bit and upscale where necessary and most SD is fine. But most lives sports are just not all that good and even massaging the video isn't a great help.

SD is what it is and bigger screens don't help that unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/960#post_23174889

What is your source of video? If it is DirecTV, then the SD is pretty poor compared to Dish and most cable companies.

And how big are those other tvs? With an 82" HDTV any SD isn't going to look great or maybe even not acceptable. I have a 73742 and Dish as my primary video and some SD is very good, some just tolerable and some not watcheable, very channel dependent. With Netflix, Amazon and HULU, the SD on my set looks very good and of course the HD looks much better.

With Dish's better overall SD I still notice that many sports in SD don't look very good though most are tolerable.

This is very much source dependent. It also helps if you have first class scaling and deinterlacing. If the source sucks it will suck even more on a big display. Lots of SD look quite nice on my 92840.. I have a Radiance but a PC with a first class GPU can do pretty well.

OTA is often the best looking TV source whether SD or HD.. I am moving toward JRiver Media Center fairly soon for live OTA and Cable TV. MadVR can do wonders to a reasonably go SD source even on a big display.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok so I ordered a roll of Duvatyne tape, took off the screen on my WD73642, and pretty much covered every piece of reflective material inside the television. I used over the half the roll to cover for it. I covered the silver support bar at the top, the silver support bar at the bottom, the silver and glossy black material around the projector, the white pieces that hold the mirror, etc. Unless there's something hidden away somewhere or something that wasn't obvious, I pretty much covered every reflective thing inside the television with duvatyne. End result: no change. I still see the halos and reflections at the top part of the screen when watching letterbox movies or when there's a lot of contrast in that area.

Any ideas what else inside the television could be causing the reflections? Is it possible that it isn't simply an object reflecting the light and an actual issue somewhere between the lamp and projector? I'm prepared to take the screen off again and cover up something else if anyone has any ideas on what I may have missed... I took my time looking through everything around the top area of the TV and I simply couldn't spot anything reflective that I hadn't already covered.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Any chance of what your seeing is not some light reflecting off something in the room and bouching off the back mirror in the DLP? Even turning off all the lights in the room you still see it? Light from the screen reflecting from something in the room back into the screen mirror? That's gota suck.

Might be something on the lense as well.. I'd contact a professional repairman and pick his brain.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It actually also happens on my WD65738 to a lesser degree that's upstairs in a different room with different lighting. Others on this thread have complained of the same thing and recommended using duvatyne on the interior but noone's actually fixed it yet as far as I know.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just thinking out loud.. but wonder if its some manufacture problem with the lamp housing where its not making a perfect seal on the inside and light from the lamp is seeping into the tv? Just thinking out loud and throwing ideas out there.

Only way to know forsure is to prob remove the back from the tv and turn it on. I believe theres some safety switch that would need to be pressed so the tv would think the back is on..

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/960#post_23198267

Just thinking out loud.. but wonder if its some manufacture problem with the lamp housing where its not making a perfect seal on the inside and light from the lamp is seeping into the tv? Just thinking out loud and throwing ideas out there.

Only way to know forsure is to prob remove the back from the tv and turn it on. I believe theres some safety switch that would need to be pressed so the tv would think the back is on..

That seems to be a reasonable guess. My 73642 doesn't have the issue which makes me think that it isn't the reflective surfaces in the set causing the issue, but more likely an assembly/shipping issue where something is getting slightly 'looser' or some such allowing for light escaping. If it was the reflective surfaces I would think it would affect all sets and not just some.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHerb  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/210#post_22565159

Hi Fletch,

If you go back a few pages, you will see my posts for this same exact problem. According to the local Southern California Mitsubishi authorized repair company this is a MAJOR DEFECT that Mitsubishi has not or will not acknowledge. Many owners will never notice it, which I'm sure Mitsubishi is praying for. But if you are a person like you or I who watch letterbox content, it makes the experience very bad. Want real fun? Just TRY watching the first fifteen minutes of INCEPTION BluRay. I dare you. I double-dog dare you. Now that you've noticed it, you will see this issue whenever there is high contrast images with a dark background in the top 3rd of the screen.

Bought mine from Paul's, they swapped it out. I told them I was willing to try a 3rd unit, but the rep told me that they have been receiving other complaints for this issue and will exchange or refund the purchase. I'm now waiting for the 65" Panasonic GT plasmas to come in stock to get exchanged.

Some notes-

This replaced a Sony RPTV, I know what to expect.

My son has an older Mits, and used to sell Mits & he told me the first evening that my new TV was defective. His has no similar issue.

When I spoke to the Mitsubishi customer rep, he said the TVs 'shouldn't do that.'

Went to Mathis Brothers store with my son- nice display wall o' TVs. They had most of the Mits models on display from 73 - 92". The rep let me play the Digital Essentials calibration DVD- EVERY NEW MITS HAS THIS ISSUE.

This frustrates me incredibly because the image quality when full screen without dark/light contrast is great.

Since Mitsubishi is not doing anything about this you will need to make the decision on whether you can live with this issue or not.

See the quote above for BrianHerb's experience with this issue. He's written several other posts on this thread about this and has had many techs come out, as well as gone to the store to inspect other units and saw the same issue on every other unit there. I'll do what you guys are suggesting and check the lamp assembly but I doubt the cause is as trivial as this.

·
UHD Addict
38,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya00  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/990#post_23208262

Ok after doing some research online I found these threads about this issue dating back to 2009:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1139317/mitsubishi-wd-73835-light-bleeding
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95325

Lots of complaints and ideas but no solution... can't believe this is something that so many people don't notice or don't care about. Still hoping there's a way to fix this!

I've noticed it to some degree from every DLP set I've owned since 2005 and every DLP set I've ever seen in the store. Although the Mitsubishis I looked at in December seem to be the most noticeable. Including the 82642 I own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mitsu owners,

I just purchased a WD-73842 last month (found the last one at Paul's in my area!). The TV was an open box and did not come with a remote. Should I purchase a replacement one?

Best place to find a replacement?

BTW, I have an iPhone and have downloaded the Mitsubishi app. It appears that I have to purchase the wireless dongle for the TV before the iPhone app will work. Do I have to buy the Mitsubishi AWNU231 one or will any work?

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/990#post_23209150

I've noticed it to some degree from every DLP set I've owned since 2005 and every DLP set I've ever seen in the store. Although the Mitsubishis I looked at in December seem to be the most noticeable. Including the 82642 I own.

Yeah I've had 3 Mitsubishi DLPs over the years dating back to 2006... I never noticed the issue before getting the 65642... it's WAY worse on these new sets to the point of being intolerable at times.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You should try to get ahold of mits customer service and see if they can get you a remote.

Also you can look into a nice Logitech harmony remote.. 650 I bet is nice.. I have had a Harmony One for years and it will control everything and can even learn older remotes if needed. The only thing I don't like about the One is the fact that it has plastic hard buttons instead of the normal soft buttons like the 650.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes

Amazon has the 650 cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Remote-Control-Silver/dp/B004OVECU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366257599&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+remote

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Advanced-Universal-Remote/dp/B005FO43OU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366257599&sr=8-3&keywords=harmony+remote

Let me add that your phone should work with it... do you have a network cable plugged into the back of the tv?

·
Registered
3 Posts
darkeclypse,

Thanks for the info! Will look into the harmony remote.

I don't have access to a network hardwire, so will just use the wireless adapter. That was the second part of my original question. Will any adapter work or do I have to use the AzureWave AW-NU231??

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1425134/2012-mitsubishi-3d-dlp-owners-thread-c12-642-742-842-series/630#post_22778594

I've been flipping back and forth about an extended warranty. If you have a Costo membership you can get a 3 year(takes effect after manufacturer warranty ends) squaretrade waranty for under $100.

But I think now I am going to go with the 5 year Squaretrade warranty from Amazon. It covers the four years after the manufacturers 1 year warranty expires. If I was already a member of Costco I would just go with their warranty, but since I'm not, I'm going to opt for the longer warranty even though there is a higher upfront cost.

Sorry I know your post is from a couple months back but I just wanted to let you know that I've called Squaretrade several times and they have let me know that warranty's sold on Amazon are only for TVs purchased directly on Amazon. Hopefully thats where you got yours, but if not then I would look over your contract amazon emailed you. If it says the coverage is only for new TVs bought on Amazon.. like the reps from squaretrade have told me it only covers then I would cancel the coverage and get the refund.

Squaretrade always lets you purchase warrantys for anything but if its against the terms you only find out that you are SOL when they deney you service. For example you can buy a warranty for a refurb TV from costco but their terms say any "NEW" tv from any US dealer, so if you ever have to make a claim you are screwed.. if you don't have to make a claim then you paid for a warranty that you were never truely covered for win win for Squaretrade. And I don't want anyone to get me wrong I use and like squaretrade for warranty's you just got to be careful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Changing the subject. I am thinking about getting a 73" Mitsubishi. Sears has a Refurb Wd73C12 for $897, free shipping. I have seen local electronics stores with the WD73642 for $1399 new. Is the 3D ability and video calibration worth it? or is the refurb to much of a risk?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the 73642 and have never used the 3D feature. It does have 3 HDMI inputs though, not 2 like the other model. I wouldn't worry about a refurb, but hopefully you will get an extended warranty in case you have any trouble with it. I run the audio through my Home Theater so it doesn't matter to me what the sound quality is on the tv . . I heard it isn't that great.

981 - 1000 of 1424 Posts