AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to pick up an Oppo 93 soon, but, I was wondering if there is a new Oppo model coming out this year....or, is there anything else coming out this year I should consider before going with an Oppo 93 within the next couple months?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/21432355

I am planning to pick up an Oppo 93 soon, but, I was wondering if there is a new Oppo model coming out this year....or, is there anything else coming out this year I should consider before going with an Oppo 93 within the next couple months?

Since none of us can see into the future...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think Blu Ray tech is pretty much done moving forward. Although this years CES show in Vegas should tell many tales.

Oppo and many manufactures are a bit stuck because of the new rules regarding the analog outputs. Anything new designed and released today would have to have them removed or at least for now seriously limited in output resolution. This is the component outputs but HDMI is not affected. However as long as they make the old models they can keep them the same. So for right now the incentive is to not change a thing.

I am just blowing in the wind here but I think the next big thing will be some sort of 4K blu ray format being announced. However I doubt it will be ready for prime time this year but just maybe at CES we will hear about it in the R&D stages.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
While I'd love to see a 4K BR player anounced this year Oppo still has a TON of room to improve the 93. THe 93 is a GREAT player but there is a detailed thread of all the things that could be done to improve it. If they can improve the streaming on the next 103 model or whatever they will call it I'll probably be on of the first to plop down my money. I'm happy with the 93 but since I do so much streaming (not neftlix but from my own storage) I could definitely appreciate a big improvement in the streaming end of the BR player.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc /forum/post/21432355

I would check out the trends highlighted by CES 2012 in regards to home video/audio, as this will dictate what might occur later this year as far BD player updates, and new models. OLED and 4K technology will be whats hot at CES 2012.

IMHO there are no obvious gotchas if you were to buy a BDP-93 now and what you might miss out later this year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The impetus for a new model may not be new features per se but the wish to switch to the currently available components and chipsets. This is an advancement upon the SOC in our 9X machines http://www.mtk.com.tw/en/Products/fe...ntent.php?sn=4 Perhaps there are newer video processors than the Marvell too.

The consequence of a new model might be that new features are incorporated into it only and our previous model just gets fixes for new blu-ray releases. This might be the fear in the mind of prospective purchasers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just remember that as time pasts; technology always gets better and better! More features, more power, smaller in size, better looking package, new technology, etc....

So if you can wait and do not need it now; you can buy the Oppo 93 like next year for probably half off or more depending on what changes are taken place this year.

Just remember most purchases are based on desire for the best! But if there is something that is better; then you discard the current desire and go with the new desire. The smart purchaser goes with the previous desire since it will save money and you would of purchase it anyways at a much higher cost before the "new" product came to being.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWild /forum/post/21438579

So if you can wait and do not need it now; you can buy the Oppo 93 like next year for probably half off or more depending on what changes are taken place this year.

Have you taken a look at prices of used Oppo BDP-83's? If their prices are any indication, half off is extremely optimistic as Oppo's hold their value very well.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/21435314

I would check out the trends highlighted by CES 2012 in regards to home video/audio, as this will dictate what might occur later this year as far BD player updates, and new models. OLED and 4K technology will be whats hot at CES 2012.

IMHO there are no obvious gotchas if you were to buy a BDP-93 now and what you might miss out later this year.

Does someone usually start an "official" thread dedicated to a specific or group of new DVD players shown at CES?

·
Registered
109 Posts
This from Oppo facebook page is pretty clear I think
Quote:
OPPO We have never shown at CES. We are often walking the floor and talking to reviewers and other industry contacts, but we have never premiered a player at CES.

We generally release new product every 18 to 24 months, and the BDP-93 was first made available November 2010. Infer as you will.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan /forum/post/21435961

This thread is a GREAT idea!!!

I agree, instead of cluttering the Oppo 93 thread with the same question every couple of days, they can come here and post the "when will the new Oppo be released" question over and over. Let's make this a sticky so everyone has a chance to post the question.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsg /forum/post/21440741

OPPO We have never shown at CES. We are often walking the floor and talking to reviewers and other industry contacts, but we have never premiered a player at CES.

We generally release new product every 18 to 24 months, and the BDP-93 was first made available November 2010. Infer as you will.

I sure hope they lean towards the 18 months this time around. I'd still recommend the 93 to most people but look forward to some tweaked features soon.

·
Registered
937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo /forum/post/21442235

I agree, instead of cluttering the Oppo 93 thread with the same question every couple of days, they can come here and post the "when will the new Oppo be released" question over and over. Let's make this a sticky so everyone has a chance to post the question.

We now have a link we can just drop in the 93 thread whenever this extremely redundant question comes up, and hopefully the rediculous aguments that ensue will end as well. I agree, should be a sticky.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't want to wait for what's coming out this year but is there any other BD player out there that can compete with Oppo 93 nowadays? For the same price as Oppo, I'm looking at Marantz UD5005, Onkyo BD-SP809 or Denon DBP-116UD but I don't know enough if they are comparable to Oppo? I'm not much of an expert when it comes to BD tech but can anyone care to comment or suggest any other BD player that you think good enough to compete with Oppo 93? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,514 Posts
Honestly, the Oppo BDP-83 is still one of the best BLU-RAY players money can buy. The only reason to get something new at this point is for a feature YOU need above and beyond the actual Blu-ray playback of the player. I really don't see any need for improvement when it comes to actual Blu-ray playback from any of Oppo's offerings. What people want are more creature features that relate more to streaming services. With these services being offered on just about every consumer electronics device short of maybe a toaster, I'm surprised that everyone wants them in every single device they own. But if you're looking for a Blu-ray player to actually just play Blu-ray discs, you can't go wrong with any of their offerings.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/0

Honestly, the Oppo BDP-83 is still one of the best BLU-RAY players money can buy. The only reason to get something new at this point is for a feature YOU need above and beyond the actual Blu-ray playback of the player. I really don't see any need for improvement when it comes to actual Blu-ray playback from any of Oppo's offerings. What people want are more creature features that relate more to streaming services. With these services being offered on just about every consumer electronics device short of maybe a toaster, I'm surprised that everyone wants them in every single device they own. But if you're looking for a Blu-ray player to actually just play Blu-ray discs, you can't go wrong with any of their offerings.

What a about my Sony BDP-S770? Does anybody here upgraded their Sony BDP-S770 to Oppo BDP-93? Is there any difference to PQ when it comes to watching Blu-rays and 3D? Not sure if it's worth upgrading based on PQ alone, I'm hoping to hear from user experience. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious /forum/post/21479215

What a about my Sony BDP-S770? Does anybody here upgraded their Sony BDP-S770 to Oppo BDP-93? Is there any difference to PQ when it comes to watching Blu-rays and 3D? Not sure if it's worth upgrading based on PQ alone, I'm hoping to hear from user experience. Thanks.

Hope it's better than this Sony: Sony 570

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
1 - 20 of 94 Posts