AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I had a feeling the audio would be reference.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I enjoyed this movie, way better than his last couple of efforts, but the reason I'll be buying this one is for the amazing visuals. I can't remember what disc it was, maybe Godzilla, but there was a preview of this on it and the picture quality was superb.

·
Registered
17,106 Posts
Curious to hear this one since the few early user reviews have been less than impressed with the audio. I am not putting much stake in the br.com review because of this. A few posters over in the Master list of movies with bass thread/waterfalls have reported the low end in particular is disappointing for this type of film, and a few reports on br.com confirmed this as well. Obviously I hope the publication review (br.com) is right though
Anything less than reference audio for this one would be a disappointment IMO.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/18163256

Curious to hear this one since the few early user reviews have been less than impressed with the audio. I am not putting much stake in the br.com review because of this. A few posters over in the Master list of movies with bass thread/waterfalls have reported the low end in particular is disappointing for this type of film, and a few reports on br.com confirmed this as well. Obviously I hope the publication review (br.com) is right though

I wasn't impressed in the theater. Only one instance where it hit really really low (Yellowstone)....I definitely have my reservations about this disc until I hear more.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have the disc and played part of it yesterday night. The PQ seemed quite good, but the movie was filmed digitally, so I hated the look anyway. The AQ sounded good too, but definitely not great. I was not in the best mood nor in the best viewing conditions (half asleep), so take this opinion, not with one, but with two grains of salt!

·
Premium Member
24,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/18163256

Agree a movie like this should have refrence audio.

·
Registered
30,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey1 /forum/post/18165228

The PQ seemed quite good, but the movie was filmed digitally, so I hated the look anyway.

Even when I saw it in the theatre, there was something camcorder-ish about some of the shots. The inconsistency was annoying and distracting. Michael Mann somehow seems to pull it off better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Saw this in theaters and it's quite a lot of fun. The soundfield isn't as dynamic as something like Transformers, but that might have just been production limitations. Much better than Emmerich's 10,000 BC. Will be picking up the Target exclusive Blu-ray assuming the price is right.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/18166258

Even when I saw it in the theatre, there was something camcorder-ish about some of the shots. The inconsistency was annoying and distracting. Michael Mann somehow seems to pull it off better.

Must be the 360 degree shutter digital cameras can shoot with. It screws with my perceptions because I'm not used to seeing films move that fluidly, Apocalypto had the same thing going on in some scenes.

·
Registered
30,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/18167062

Must be the 360 degree shutter digital cameras can shoot with. It screws with my perceptions because I'm not used to seeing films move that fluidly, Apocalypto had the same thing going on in some scenes.

Yeah, it's the longer exposure time and additional motion blur that I'm still not used to when watching movies. I remember it distracting me during 'Apocalypto'. Wonder if they can cut the exposure time to better mimic the shutter speed in film cameras. This way they can get a more consistent look on films that use both media (like 2010).

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/18164242

I wasn't impressed in the theater. Only one instance where it hit really really low (Yellowstone)....I definitely have my reservations about this disc until I hear more.

Yeah for a movie that cost that much, a lot of the visuals (most) looked very 70's quality technicolored.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I received my 2012 bd and had watched it a week ago.

The digi-cam issue does exist, I noticed that during previous theater experience. Watching the bd, these scenes do stand out and distract.

The sound effect constantly reminded me of "the day after tomorrow" : surround panning,

infrasonics are there, though are not as strong as one might imagine on such scale of visual feast.

Not anemic but adequate.

I would say its a tier 0 mix.

·
Registered
17,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken wu /forum/post/18170506

infrasonics are there, though are not as strong as one might imagine on such scale of visual feast.

Bummer, thanks. This seems to be the general consensus in the bass thread as well unfortunately.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken wu /forum/post/18170506

I received my 2012 bd and had watched it a week ago.

The digi-cam issue does exist, I noticed that during previous theater experience. Watching the bd, these scenes do stand out and distract.

The sound effect constantly reminded me of "the day after tomorrow" : surround panning,

Not anemic but adequate.

I would say its a tier 0 mix.

I finished watching the BD yesterday night, and I basically concur with these statements.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Digital look aside(hate the scenes with John Cussack and his family in the flooded compartments for the artificial digital look), the picture quality is top-notch and worth investing just for its visuals and nothing else(story sucks big time anyways)

1 - 20 of 105 Posts