AVS Forum banner
81 - 100 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
So is anyone deciphered how the panel lottery works and coordinates with the numbers on the box stickers on the sets? looks like all we hav now are the mexico feb 2013 with the same numbers AUSyLJM

from older post:

"manufactured February of 2013 in Mexico. Model ends in UB-AUSJLJM

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Germany the 42" Model is named 42LN5406 , there was a special offer at Saturn Techmarket for 369€ last week.

My Device has a AS-IPS Panel according to
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/ips_comparisons.jpg

(You can set your Digicam to Makro and shoot a dark-grey background on TV to see the pixel structure)

The Picture in PC Mode is awesome and viewing angles are excellent,

although black level could be better and screen has a (little) noticeable "ips glow"

Just for Movies there are better TVs, but this device is a good all-in-one solution for pc/console/tv.

Thanks to SixFootDuo for recommendations here and in hardforum.

·
Registered
36 Posts
amazing deal. but imma pass cuz 39 is too big for computer monitor. i really enjoy 32. dont have enuff room to sit far away enough from a 39 incher.

so tempting though...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·

·
Registered
154 Posts
So, I've gone through 3 39LN5300's from 3 different stores and they all have what appears to be either back light bleeding or clouding in the center or near the center of the screen. It can easily be seen in a dark room while viewing something like a totally black image. Can anyone else with a 39LN5300 confirm? Once again, make sure you view a totally dark image (dead pixel check black background) in a dark room. Raise the back light setting if you have trouble seeing what I described.

·
Banned
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07  /t/1466061/2013-lg-ln5300-led-hdtv-review/60#post_23300550

I thought they looked amazing for netflix, and would assume for general tv, altough mine is simply a gaming tv in my office. I have 32" as well. However on my 360 dash, it looked a little dim, and when I bump up backlight, maybe a yellower tint then I'm used to seeing. I am using the pc input, although game mode still feels just a tad quicker than expert 1, maybe placebo ???. For my xbox I'm using expanded black levels, and rgb for color space, and auto for my black levels on tv. Whats weird is I thought RGB was supposed to mess up netflix, and you are suppose to change before watching Netflix ? As for ps3, have black levels on full .

Your Xbox settings are correct, but what I would just check is if changing from AUTO black level to HIGH black level manually, do you see a change in contrast? if so, then the AUTO black level should not be used and I recommend switching it manually everytime you go from Blu-ray, DVD, or TV, to a PC or console (AUTO black level does not always work when I switch between my desktop and Blu-rays). Black Level LOW while using a PC or console will increase input lag, since the TV has to create the deeper blacks and brighter whites.

I'm using Netflix from my LG blu-ray home theater system. So the contrast range is not F-ed up like the Xbox 360's is. I do not calibrate for an Xbox 360 as it not possible because the deep black and bright white shades get essentially "blended" or expanded incorrectly and that is why you see an offset with Xbox 360 versus Playstation or Wii (they are doing contrast levels correctly). Changing reference levels does not fix the issue on the 360 because it still blends these shades even at Standard/Limited range (making it offset more than the intended levels).

Some tell it as a rumor between HDMI and VGA. HDMI is a hybrid Video and PC cable (I know it is made of basically DVI protocols, but DVI doesn't support YCbCr like HDMI does), while VGA was solely made for PC content purpose. The Xbox 360 will flag HDMI video and PC content levels inappropriately and VGA I haven't tested since I lost that adapter, but assuming its a PC cable, it will cause the Xbox 360 to output correct contrast levels.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52LG60FTW  /t/1466061/2013-lg-ln5300-led-hdtv-review/60#post_23308423

So, I've gone through 3 39LN5300's from 3 different stores and they all have what appears to be either back light bleeding or clouding in the center or near the center of the screen. It can easily be seen in a dark room while viewing something like a totally black image. Can anyone else with a 39LN5300 confirm? Once again, make sure you view a totally dark image (dead pixel check black background) in a dark room. Raise the back light setting if you have trouble seeing what I described.

What backlight setting did you use in the photo?

·
Banned
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07  /t/1466061/2013-lg-ln5300-led-hdtv-review/90#post_23314107

My 32" is completly uniform, so much so, that I was pretty sure that this tv was direct lit.

It is Direct-Lit, but it has worse backlight bleeding than my grandmother's Edge-Lit UE60F8000 (Edge-Lit is a technique that literally provides backlight bleeding...). Screen Uniformity doesn't seem like a strong suit for LG.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just chiming in here as a new owner of this TV (39-inch version). I got it last week at Best Buy (open box) and then saw the Fry's deal the next morning. I trooped down to Best Buy and got them to reimburse me the difference on the open-box set, so I'm a very happy camper.

First, my thanks to the group for the information and reviews you provided. We're not terribly critical TV watchers -- the unit we replaced is a six-year-old Westinghouse HDTV that was purchased because it was a screamin' deal (at the time). But TVs have gotten much better since then and we're watching more on it, so we wanted a better one. This one fills the bill.

I've been quite happy with PQ on this TV so far, though in honesty we've only watched Comcast local HD channels sans box and a little bit from our Apple TV. I'm still playing with some of the picture settings after starting with the ones posted in this thread. I haven't done the bleed test mentioned because the room the TV is in is never truly dark (streetlights, etc.).

To provide an additional data point for panel type, the Box ID on this TV is 588393024A649USJLJM. It's a VA panel -- off-axis washes out in a non-IPS fashion and the finger test says so, too -- but this TV is in a pretty shallow room, so it's not a big deal for us.

So, again, thanks. If I can answer questions based on our experience, please let me know.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I picked up the 32" today at Costco for under 3 bills. I am using it as a PC monitor. I read all the posts and tweaked it to where I am happy. The only thing I have a complaint about is the uniformity. It is a little darker about 1" along the entire left side border. I only notice this when there is a completely white screen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was really surprised to see the 1080 P 32 range for only $300 and my Cosco. I assumed it would be at least 350 since it is a 1080 P 2013 version and since the 1080 P Samsung was $370. I wonder if this is going to go on sale even more around the holidays with some sort of manufacturer's rebate instant rebate like they usually have with Cosco TVs. But a few bucks here and there were not really matter to me if this TV really serves its purpose.

The thing I'm a bit worried about is I actually enjoy using the lower resolution of 720 P or 13 66 x 7 68 because I said father way and I prefer my Windows icons and various text to be larger. For my experience native 1080 P TVs do not render text as well in lower resolutions as well as a 1366 native TV. It's really important to have a adjustable sharpness setting when hooked up to your PC but even with this setting available on this LG TV, from what I saw in Cosco and Best Buy hooking up my laptop to HDMI, I still wasn't completely satisfied with the lower resolution text rendering.

This is all in comparison to my Westinghouse 32 inch 1366 TV which I also bought a Cosco. It renders text extremely well and crisp at its native resolution. But when you viewed up close you see the individual pixels and that can be a nuisance when you want to do things up close. 1080 P makes this better but makes a compromise in text quality at lower resolutions.

·
Registered
Yamaha V475 with focal sib Evo 5.1.2 and BK Gemini 2 sub + egreat A5 4K HDR player
652 Posts
I REALLY don't understand people buying low end TV's and use them as monitors !!!! You guys are just...wew....

You want a very good device for PC ?? buy a 27" MONITOR !!!!!!!!!!!!! that has a resolution of over 1080p !!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD !

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k  /t/1466061/2013-lg-ln5300-led-hdtv-review/90#post_23333778

I REALLY don't understand people buying low end TV's and use them as monitors !!!!

You don't need to. Thanks for stopping by.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm using a Dell u2410 at the moment, and I have been considering getting a larger monitor (Dell 3014, Dell 2713HM, ViewSonic vp2770, Crossover 30 MDP monitors) for quite some time.

My primary use for this is MSOffice applications (Word/excel), some coding, and browsing (no gaming at all)

How would series LN5300 (32, 39) do for such use, any thoughts ? Main concern is clarity, eye strain, etc.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm using this as a PC monitor and finally tweaked it to my liking. I went into my Nvidia settings and selected the native option and the text looks as good as my last 22" PC Monitor. I would try it if I were you, especially since there is $1000 difference from what you suggested and this monitor. Try it and return it if you do not like it.

81 - 100 of 435 Posts