AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked a TC-60PU54 at Sam's, and from what I read this is the same as the TC-60PU50.

So far I'm very happy, it replaced a nearly 10yr old Sony RP-CRT HD monitor that finally died and the improvement is huge.

It's in a living room that has pretty large windows on a wall to the side of the TV.

The evening viewing has looked great with our normal overhead lighting, but I'm wondering what it will be like on weekends during the day.

Our windows don't get much direct sunlight but the room's ambient light will rise I'm sure.

I'm reading that Panny 2013 Plasma's are supposed to be brighter and am wondering if that will be only upper line models or will extend

to the lower one's like the ST60 and U60?

I believe I have a 90 day return policy with Sam's if I decide a different model would be better and that might be enough for 2013 models to start shipping.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonypass  /t/1458203/2013-panasonic-plasmas-all-models-brighter#post_22964148

Just picked a TC-60PU54 at Sam's, and from what I read this is the same as the TC-60PU50.

So far I'm very happy, it replaced a nearly 10yr old Sony RP-CRT HD monitor that finally died and the improvement is huge.

It's in a living room that has pretty large windows on a wall to the side of the TV.

The evening viewing has looked great with our normal overhead lighting, but I'm wondering what it will be like on weekends during the day.

Our windows don't get much direct sunlight but the room's ambient light will rise I'm sure.

I'm reading that Panny 2013 Plasma's are supposed to be brighter and am wondering if that will be only upper line models or will extend

to the lower one's like the ST60 and U60?

I believe I have a 90 day return policy with Sam's if I decide a different model would be better and that might be enough for 2013 models to start shipping.

They typically release the lower models first so within the next month or so. The u50 does have a brightness cap of about 30ftl I believe dimmer than the ST50,VT or GT50.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonypass  /t/1458203/2013-panasonic-plasmas-all-models-brighter#post_22964148

....I'm reading that Panny 2013 Plasma's are supposed to be brighter......

Where are you reading that the 2013 models are supposed to be brighter? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1458203/2013-panasonic-plasmas-all-models-brighter#post_22964990

Where are you reading that the 2013 models are supposed to be brighter? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.
Samsung may be the only ones claiming to be as bright as an LED but Panny is claiming to be brighter as well.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/samsung-51f8500-plasma-tv-1124079/review

"Claiming to be as bright as an LED TV and with 40-60% improvement in black level"

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2013/01/ces-2013-samsung-tv-lineup-has-oled-ultra-hd-and-a-super-plasma.html

"Samsung claims it can produce the same brightness as an LED-lit LCD TV while maintaining plasma-like black levels"

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-entertainment/1296895/panasonic-zt60-leads-2013-viera-plasma-tv-line-up

"Panasonic is promising that this new process will produce brighter images"

http://www.gizmag.com/panasonic-zt60-series-plasma-ces/25872/

"Panasonic says the overall brightness and color depth of the new series is greatly improved."

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonypass  /t/1458203/2013-panasonic-plasmas-all-models-brighter#post_22968212

Samsung may be the only ones claiming to be as bright as an LED but Panny is claiming to be brighter as well.

Those articles only indicate that the ZT60 will be brighter, due to it's unique new bonding process and new panel and is not representative of the whole 2013 lineup and in their discussion of all the lesser models, there is no mention at all of them being brighter. I still haven't seen any reports of the 2013 (non-ZT60) models being brighter.

All of the other non-ZT60 models (X60, S60, ST60, VT60) in 2013 are all re-using last year's panels and their conventional screen processes so i don't think any of these will be any brighter than the 2012 models, unless they can pull it off via newer driving software. And even then it would probably be very slight. The 2012s are already plenty bright enough as it is - my GT50 handles my very bright man-room very well on the weekends and i only have my contrast set at 85% with panel brightness set to Mid.

While the U50/U54 isn't as bright as the higher models, it's still a pretty bright TV. The bigger issue with it in an overly bright room is not that it's not bright enough, it will be it's lack of an Anti-Reflective Filter which will make it much more reflective when viewing dark content such as movies etc. Daytime sports on the other hand should have plenty of pop and the brighter content should punch through the ambient room light pretty well. Try to position the TV so that you don't have bright windows behind you that will be seen in the screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
During a chat session with a Panny support rep, I was told that all 2013 models are brighter than 2012 models of the same level.

Of course until some are reviewed there is no way to know if that's true or not, I was just looking for other opinions.

This weekend I'll find out if my 60PU54 will work well enough in my living room during the daytime or not.

We watch movies in the evenings with the lights dimmed and I'm not expecting it too look like that just good enough to suit me.

I haven't found the reflections to be a big bother with our normal overhead room lighting to be a big bother problem either.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonypass  /t/1458203/2013-panasonic-plasmas-all-models-brighter#post_22969676

During a chat session with a Panny support rep, I was told that all 2013 models are brighter than 2012 models of the same level. Of course until some are reviewed there is no way to know if that's true or not, I was just looking for other opinions.

Well normally any Panasonic CSRs that you contact via chat or telephone usually don't know much about the TVs and usually answer questions wrong etc (my own experience and many others who have posted here) but this time they're probably right - but only on the models that have an Anti-Reflective Filter. I was searching the Panasonic Insider thread at HDJ and found a blurb where AVJ said the AR Filter on the ST60/VT60 was slightly revised and will let more light out as well as handle glare a little better, so in this regard it does look like these models will be a little brighter than last year's ST50/VT50.

But since the new S60 does not have an AR Filter, i'm going to assume that it will be no brighter than the U50/U54 since it is using the same panel and none of these have AR Filters.

Quote:
This weekend I'll find out if my 60PU54 will work well enough in my living room during the daytime or not.

We watch movies in the evenings with the lights dimmed and I'm not expecting it too look like that just good enough to suit me.

I haven't found the reflections to be a big bother with our normal overhead room lighting to be a big bother problem either.

Let us know how it works out for you. One downside to having an AR Filter is that when the room is very bright the AR Filter kinda disperses the light across the whole screen and can make the image look a little washed out. On TVs without that AR Filter, the screen doesn't get as washed out and can look a little clearer overall, but the actual reflections are more defined and mirror-like, where an AR Filter softens and blurs the reflections so they're not as pronounced. Just try not to focus on the dark areas of the screen during the day - that's what i do on my glossy LED TV during the day or at night with the lights on high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts