AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They are all set from the factory to PCM only. However. All these sets can pass Dolby Digital as well. It just needs to be enabled in the service menu. PCM to AC3. Then another change has to be made in the service menu. The new AC3 setting. It has to be written to all 4 HDMI ports. I know many many owners have complained about these tv's only passing PCM. And I know other brands. While very few. Can pass it as well when its factory enabled. Some what of a holy grail when you get a tv that can actually do it. These are my notes from a previous post. But, I wanted to make an official thread to get this word out for LG owners out there with 4k sets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an update. I followed through with LG allowing the tv to pass Dolby Digital. Not just PCM. It can be done on all 4k LG tv's. It is simply disabled from the factory in the service menu for LG does not have to pay Dolby Digital licensing fees. That is my guess. Or people simply do not care enough and LG leaves it disabled because of that. I am using HDMI ARC with my LG soundbar as well. Picture attached for proof. My soundbar also confirms Dolby Digital is being used. So, everyone saying these tv's are just limited to PCM and will only pass that. Using HDMI or Optical. It is completely false and needs to be addressed in the service menu. LG will do this for you for free as long as the tv is under warranty. The tech just left the house a few minutes ago.

I also wanted to add. Since the tech. here had direct access to LG techs. These guys even have access to the actual television models while working on the phone with them as they go. I asked if a firmware update would revert the previous settings back. He said absolutely not and they stick when making changes like that in the service menu. I would also suggest not doing something like this yourself. One false move in the service menu and you will have a big expensive brick. Call LG instead and they will be happy to get this set up for you and have someone come out. I have the LG 65UB9300 4k tv.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the 55ub9500 and the sound setting is set to auto in the sound setting. I get Dolby digital from the roku and all of the TV apps just fine. I can't get Dolby digital from the htpc though.

·
Registered
645 Posts
My Samsung will ONLY deliver DD 5.1 through the optical port IF the source is coming from the coaxial RF.

An exception to this is if you have a Samsung smart TV, then they say it can deliver 5.1 through the optical digital port.

I tested the cable box and the roku attached directly to the tv by way of HDMI and the Samusng would not pass 5.1 to the amp by way of the digital optical cable.

WHY would I want to connect the cable box to the TV instead of the amp? To make it easier for a family member to watch cable tv, *without* using the amp... So, I get the cable box 5.1 through the amp by way of the optical cable from the cable box. I just won't be able to get 5.1 from any OTA transmissions, since the amp's two optical ports are now taken...

Here's how Samsung describes the TV's limitation:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...odelname=UN46EH5000F&modelcode=UN46EH5000FXZA

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I am definitely able to get Dolby Digital back in ARC from The 2015 Vizio M-series TV. Not sure how to get it back from an external device though. Or even why I would want that? Is it necessary in cases where your receiver doesn't support the video from your external device but it does support the audio?

I guess I could use the 2nd output of my Blu-ray player to go through the TV and bring the Audio back to the receiver with ARC. However, I could just send the video out one output and the audio out the other which is a whole lot simpler.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Is this truly passing through Dolby Digital or is it converting DD to PCM and back to DD? Hence the parameter name PCM to AC3? Wouldn't you rather have PCM than DD? DD is lossy and PCM is lossless?

·
Registered
18,854 Posts
I am definitely able to get Dolby Digital back in ARC from The 2015 Vizio M-series TV. Not sure how to get it back from an external device though. Or even why I would want that? Is it necessary in cases where your receiver doesn't support the video from your external device but it does support the audio?

I guess I could use the 2nd output of my Blu-ray player to go through the TV and bring the Audio back to the receiver with ARC. However, I could just send the video out one output and the audio out the other which is a whole lot simpler.
ARC can easily handle DD (5.1), just like an optical connection can, but that's it. Neither connection can transmit HD audio. Most tv's nowadays can do that when using the internal ATSC tuner for either OTA television or cable tv (both via coax). There are only a few tv's that can take an external source connected to the tv and pass DD 5.1 to a receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how to access service menu for LG UHD tv?

I need to switch settings over from pcm to ac3 to overcome audio lip sync issue with roku 4 media streamer. Can anyone tell me how to access the service menu please?
I have a 65ub9200.
Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any further info or a walkthrough of how to do this on the 65LA9650?

I have optical only input on my new soundbar and really need to switch the TV over to AC3 5.1 passthrough for HDMI from pcm.. escpecially since now that I've had the HDMI 2.0 upgrade done I lost the ability to use ARC. Anyone in NY had this done yet by a tech in the service menu or know how to do it? I am very comfortable doing it myself if I can get into the menus - Calling LG Customer Service today to ask as well since my set is covered under the VIP care -

thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Finally got it working! LG Service call needed

Hey guys, so I was overanxious and couldn't wait for the LG service remote so I bit the bullet and called LG customer service to switch over the TV output from PCM to AC3 which after writing all changes to the HDMI ports has allowed Dolby Digital output over the optical connection of my 65LA9650 4K TV. Only need one cable from TV to new Yamaha ysp-2500 and can I tell you how amazing it is to hear true 5.1 from my cable box/netflix/hulu/ps4 and all connected external sources. The soundbar is truly amazing because i have an unorthodox shaped room where you wouldn't think the digital sound projection would work but let me tell you it works very well! thanks for all the info on switching over the PCM output... the LG tech wasn't aware that this change made the difference because he said the TV should figure it out if set to auto.. since I paid the 180.00 for the service call he had to indulge me and try it with the change and to his shock it worked! wish i didn't have to pay for the call but its a 2013 model so basic warranty is over.. so happy its all working now i could care less about the money!

thanks all!!! :D:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
It just worked

I was able to get into the service menu and change the setting from PCM to AC3, but could not find the area where you apply this setting to the HDMI ports. Does anyone know where this is?
I got in with the Harmony hack and changed the setting to AC3 on my LG 50LN5600. I didn't have to apply the setting, it just worked. I changed it, hit exit, and turned the TV off and then back on.

Not only does it work like a champ, my cable box was apparently putting out 5.1 but the TV was piping 2 channel right back to the sound system. It sounds awesome now. I mean, it's a hugely noticeable difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got in with the Harmony hack and changed the setting to AC3 on my LG 50LN5600. I didn't have to apply the setting, it just worked. I changed it, hit exit, and turned the TV off and then back on.

Not only does it work like a champ, my cable box was apparently putting out 5.1 but the TV was piping 2 channel right back to the sound system. It sounds awesome now. I mean, it's a hugely noticeable difference.
Hmm. I have a 70UF7700. I changed the setting to AC3 and have power cycled the TV multiple times, but passthrough still comes out as 2 channel instead of 5.1. Some other guides mentioned EDID D/L, but I definitely don't have that option (I've dug around in the EZ_Adjust and INSTART menus for hours looking for anything similar).

I'm stuck and it's creating a situation where when I use the Netflix app, my sound system changes to the TV out signal (which comes out as 5.1), but when I exit the app, it doesn't change the sound system back, so I have picture and no audio until I manually change the input on my receiver. I'd like to utilize passthrough like I did with my old TV but I'm not going to sacrifice 5.1 to do so.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.