AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's that time of year again—the Academy Awards for best achievements in the art and science of moviemaking will be handed out in less than a week. There are 24 categories, and the competition is fierce, with nine nominees for Best Picture.

Here are the categories likely to be of most interest to AVS members. Which nominees would you like to win?

Of course, one of the main reasons AVS Forum exists at all is our shared love of movies, so the Academy Awards represent an important moment for the entire community. Will your favorite movie or actor win? Which movies should you add to your Blu-ray collection? How the heck do you pronounce Chiwetel Ejiofor (who's up for Best Actor in 12 Years a Slave)?

Then there's the award ceremony, which will be televised live by ABC on Sunday, March 2, 2014, at 7:00 PM Eastern/4:00 PM Pacific, from the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, CA. In addition to the television broadcast, the show will be streamed online, which you can watch on your computer at abc.com or any of various mobile devices using the Watch ABC app, depending on your TV provider and location; go here to learn more .

I'll be conducting some behind-the-scenes interviews with the technicians who make the broadcast possible, and I'll be attending a pre-Oscar party at Dolby Labs to celebrate the nominees for Best Sound Editing and Mixing. I'm sure that will yield some interesting info, and I'll post it as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, this thread is intended as a place to discuss all things Oscar—which nominees should or shouldn't win, the television broadcast, the online streaming, and anything else related to the Academy Awards. I look forward to reading your comments!

For a list of all the nominees—and to cast your vote in each category— go to the official Oscars website .

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

·
Registered
445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1519878/2014-academy-awards-general-comments#post_24411302

That Dolby ATMOS version of Gravity was simply outstanding.  I truly hope it wins the Best Sound Mixing award for which it is nominated.

I completely agree. I brought my friends to see it at an ATMOS theater (whom have never heard of ATMOS), and they were scared out of their minds due to the sound in the first 15 minutes

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1519878/2014-academy-awards-general-comments#post_24411136

What about a poll for BP?

I was thinking of putting one together.....
I was focused on the categories that impact the home theater experience, but you make a good point; I'll add a poll for Best Picture. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes  /t/1519878/2014-academy-awards-general-comments#post_24413045

The problem is things like sound mixing, VFX, and even cinematography are technical aspects and yet they are voted on by the general membership who is just picking its favorite movie.

You do have a point, but as a community intimately familiar with most things it takes to bring a quality film to the screen, I think the general membership's votes are indicative of what the Academy feels about the crop of films that year. It is after all called the Academy Awards, and there are other specialized awards from their respective trade collectives that might represent a more focused evaluation of the technical merits.

·
Registered
28,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes  /t/1519878/2014-academy-awards-general-comments#post_24413045

The problem is things like sound mixing, VFX, and even cinematography are technical aspects and yet they are voted on by the general membership who is just picking its favorite movie.

True for the final vote, but the nominees are chosen only by members in the specific relevant branch of the Academy. So, if Pacific Rim wasn't nominated for sound mixing, that's not Jennifer Lawrence's fault.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1519878/2014-academy-awards-general-comments#post_24416819

True for the final vote, but the nominees are chosen only by members in the specific relevant branch of the Academy. So, if Pacific Rim wasn't nominated for sound mixing, that's not Jennifer Lawrence's fault.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
what started out as a pretty exciting award season with all the quality films released late last

year has morphed into, what looks like, one of the more predictable oscar shows in years

most of us could predict the big 6 without a miss

only best picture seems close

sfa: nyong'o

sma: Leto

lfa: blanchett

lma: mcounaghey

bd: cuaron

bp: slave

I pick slave over gravity doe to sci-fi bias and Hollywood guilt

hope Russell wins something. nominated for director and best picture 3 of last 4 years and last 2 has swept acting nominations

when has that happened before?

Reactions: zoey67

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally  /t/1519878/2014-academy-awards-general-comments/0_60#post_24426497

I agree the odds are good for Oscars.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally  /t/1519878/2014-academy-awards-general-comments#post_24426497

what started out as a pretty exciting award season with all the quality films released late last

year has morphed into, what looks like, one of the more predictable oscar shows in years

most of us could predict the big 6 without a miss

only best picture seems close

I pick slave over gravity doe to sci-fi bias and Hollywood guilt

hope Russell wins something. nominated for director and best picture 3 of last 4 years and last 2 has swept acting nominations

when has that happened before?

Best picture not even close....almost certainly "twelve years a slave." Cuaron best director for Gravity.....very little doubt.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Just seen the complete Winners List on Google News.

As almost everyone predicted....the winners were all of the PC nominees.

Glad I didn't watch.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1519878/2014-academy-awards-general-comments#post_24431677

Just seen the complete Winners List on Google News.

As almost everyone predicted....the winners were all of the PC nominees.

I always root for the Mac nominees anyway.

Reactions: Alison Stodder

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Is it politically correct if a movie or actor or actress that deserves to win, wins? Where is that line drawn? Not to say that politics isn't at play, but if you don't like the outcome does that automatically mean that political correctness was involved? If a black person wins, is it always going to be considered PC? Can't they actually be that good?

The same people that complain about political correctness will also be the same people that are offended when they read or hear something they don't like. Everybody has that offensive button. If I say X-mas instead of Christmas, some would consider that offensive (a particular network would be outraged) while others would consider that not being PC. It has become fashionable to be as offensive in your language as you want because you are claiming you are not being PC, and people who agree will applaud that. If they aren't allowed to be anti-PC, then you will hear, "you are infringing on my freedom of speech." In many instances, not being PC is a license to be rude and disrespectful to serve your agenda.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
As far as I can tell, I didn't see any "politically incorrect" nominees either. The winners were just the ones everyone predicted so nothing was really surprising regarding the final result. I still think Christian Bale deserved to win for American Hustle, or Leonardo DiCaprio, but it's hard to argue against Matthew McConaughey's performance in Dallas Buyer's Club. It's also hard to question Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine... Of all the Best Picture nominees, my three favorite films were Gravity, American Hustle and The Wolf Of Wall Street... I haven't seen 12 Years A Slave so..

I would have liked Despicable Me 2 to win Best Animation just because the minions are too funny!

I'm glad Steven Price won for Best Original Score.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.