AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to purchase a new 70" + TV in the next week or two as my current 55" has died.

I would like to purchase the best 70" - 80" 1080P HDTV available. (I'd like to hold off taking the 4k plunge until later).

Budget is $3,500 +/-

Seating distance is 15 feet

The TV will be used primarily for Dish Network viewing, Netflix, Movies, etc. It will be the most used TV in the house, located in a well lit living room with a fair amount of ambient light, but no direct light.

Is there a overwhelming AVSForum favorite 70"+ TV that might fit my needs?

Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you are willing to spend $3500 why would you hold off buying 4K especially for the sizes you are considering? 70" 4k in $3500 range is easy to find. 80" 4k is difficult for the price range but 80" 1080p sets suck in the price range. Where are you located? I'm thinking US pricing of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are willing to spend $3500 why would you hold off buying 4K especially for the sizes you are considering? 70" 4k in $3500 range is easy to find. 80" 4k is difficult for the price range but 80" 1080p sets suck in the price range. Where are you located? I'm thinking US pricing of course.

I am located in the United States. I dismissed purchasing a 4k TV just because it seems like the dust hasn't settled yet on the future technology requirements. I was going to buy a Sony xbr 850 series but it may not be future proof in the short-term with its connections.

With that, I just decided to buy the best 1080p set in my price range. Besides, I live in a rural area and won't gave the bandwidth to stream 4k content anytime soon and would be totally dependent on dish network and/or uhd Blu-Ray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Sony W850 seems like a good option, especially if the W830 that Costco sells is the same unit.

I was just wondering if there was anything that was better. I am also considering a 4k vizio p series, but I don't want to end up with something that looks like junk for the majority of my TV viewing (Dish Network).

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
The Sony W850 seems like a good option, especially if the W830 that Costco sells is the same unit.

I was just wondering if there was anything that was better. I am also considering a 4k vizio p series, but I don't want to end up with something that looks like junk for the majority of my TV viewing (Dish Network).
I think the W830B is the same as W850B but maybe with one little difference.

RTINGS rated the W850B highest, W800B 2nd, and W950B 3rd in their comparison chart.

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w950b/compare

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replies.

I think I am going to purchase a 70" Sony W830 (Costco) or the Samsung 75" H6300 (Costco). Any parting opinions or thoughts to help me decide?

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
The best buy right now for a 70" is a Vizio P70 which is a 4K/UHD that will be compatible* with the upcoming Ultra HD Blu-rays and has built in apps for 4K/UHD streaming services from both Netflix and Amazon. It also has full array LED backlighting with local zone dimming (72 zones) for great contrast and black levels. Only the really premium models from Sony or Samsung offer this. This is a 2D only UHD TV, so no 3D capability. Also the screen has an anti-reflective surface which helps with daytime view if you room has much light. The regular price at Best But and HH Gregg is about $2500 and $50 less at Sam Club and Costco. However, Costco has been putting it on sale occasionally for just under $2K (it was a couple of weeks ago and might still be). Also Costco gives you a 2nd year warranty for free and will sell you a Squaretrade extended warranty that takes the coverage out for 5 years for only $89.

* By compatible I mean it will be able to connect to an Ultra-HD Blu-ray player and display video at the full UHD resolution. However, Ultra-HD Blu-rays will also offer some features, including expanded color gamut and support for High Dynamic Range videos that no current UHD TV can support. Sure, a year, or maybe even by late 2015, there will be some premium UHD TVs that will support some of the more advanced enhancements offered by Ultra-HD Blu-rays, but I bet the first generation of those UHD TVs will cost a lot more that $2000 for a 70" model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best buy right now for a 70" is a Vizio P70 which is a 4K/UHD that will be compatible* with the upcoming Ultra HD Blu-rays and has built in apps for 4K/UHD streaming services from both Netflix and Amazon. It also has full array LED backlighting with local zone dimming (72 zones) for great contrast and black levels. Only the really premium models from Sony or Samsung offer this. This is a 2D only UHD TV, so no 3D capability. Also the screen has an anti-reflective surface which helps with daytime view if you room has much light. The regular price at Best But and HH Gregg is about $2500 and $50 less at Sam Club and Costco. However, Costco has been putting it on sale occasionally for just under $2K (it was a couple of weeks ago and might still be). Also Costco gives you a 2nd year warranty for free and will sell you a Squaretrade extended warranty that takes the coverage out for 5 years for only $89.

* By compatible I mean it will be able to connect to an Ultra-HD Blu-ray player and display video at the full UHD resolution. However, Ultra-HD Blu-rays will also offer some features, including expanded color gamut and support for High Dynamic Range videos that no current UHD TV can support. Sure, a year, or maybe even by late 2015, there will be some premium UHD TVs that will support some of the more advanced enhancements offered by Ultra-HD Blu-rays, but I bet the first generation of those UHD TVs will cost a lot more that $2000 for a 70" model.
I was totally willing/wanting to purchase the Vizio P series, but i was/am concerned that it will look like junk for "normal" dish network HDTV viewing... Also, I really enjoy sports, and was under the impression that these TVs were not the best for sports. Is this not the case?

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I was totally willing/wanting to purchase the Vizio P series, but i was/am concerned that it will look like junk for "normal" dish network HDTV viewing... Also, I really enjoy sports, and was under the impression that these TVs were not the best for sports. Is this not the case?

Dish HD service has a picture quality a little below Directv (in general) and both are below a 1080p Blu-ray Disc as a video source. An channel or program that looks bad on a good 1080p HDTV is not going to suddenly look good on a UHD TV, any UHD TV. However if it looks really good on your 1080p HDTV then it will look as good, or even a little better, on the P70 with its upscaling to 4K/UHD (my experience using Directv with a P70). The Vizio P-series had a few issues when they first came out last Sept./Oct. and when there were some early, somewhat negative, reviews were published. However, there have been a couple of firmware updates that have now corrected just about all really significant issues. If you calibrate a P70, or use one of the set of calibration settings offered on the thread for this, link below, you should be able to get very-good picture from Dish Network (for the better looking HD channels) and an excellent picture when using a Blu-ray as the video source. Then when Ultra-HD Blu-ray comes along later this year that should be even better. As for motion handing, when firmware ver. 1.1.14 was released a couple of months ago, this substantially improved the motion handling of the Vizeo P-series TVs (they are now up to ver. 1.1.19) and this improved the picture for fast action sports.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...5002-official-calibration-vizio-p-series.html

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
If you watch on the dark and value inky blacks and good near-black shadow detail, the Vizio P will outperform the other TVs you are considering, even on 1080p content.

I don't watch too much OTA but what I have watched seems very good as long as it is 1080i or 720p (480i looks like you are watching through a fishbowl, as it does on a 1080p TV.

I watched the SuperBowl on my P70 and it was the finest looking super bowl I have ever enjoyed (good game too :)

Costco has a great return policy (90 days) and I probably never would have taken a chance on a Vizio without that. If you pick one up and take it home for an extended audition, as I did, you are likely to be surprised and will almost certainly conclude it is a keeper (especially for the price, which is $2000 for the P70 through March 31st...).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts