AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 488 Posts

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
I would not mess with physically moving the speakers, I'd just swap the wires on the back of the rcvr.

If the problem stays with the same side, you have a rcvr problem.

If the problem moves to the other side, you have wiring or speaker problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the responses. The wires don't help, it's definitely the receiver. Not a good first impression for Pioneer receivers. Now to decide if it's worth giving another unit a shot or if I should go with my backup Yamaha 675 Black Friday pickup... First world problems ;)

Thanks again!

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Not having any of those kinds of problems. Only frustration I'm having is getting my Logitech remote operating consistently so family can enjoy the home theater.

I have airplay working for music.

Just checking as I see nothing about video but can it do airplay video? Have an Apple TV to which we stream video via Airplay. But if the receiver can do so would like to set it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Picked up the VSX-1124 on Sunday. Im absolutely loving it, noticeably better than the replaced HK avr 245!! Great find!

Only having 1 issue, the BluRay picture, and HTPC picture seem darker, with less contrast while connected through the receiver Vs. TV directly. Any reason for this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Picked up the VSX-1124 on Sunday. Im absolutely loving it, noticeably better than the replaced HK avr 245!! Great find!

Only having 1 issue, the BluRay picture, and HTPC picture seem darker, with less contrast while connected through the receiver Vs. TV directly. Any reason for this?
I didn't notice this, but it's been a long time since i don't have any equipment directly connected to the TV, make sure the video conversion is off, so that the receiver doesn't process the video, i believe it is off by default.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

What's probably going on is your TV is adjusted for each input device. Are you connecting it to the same HDMI input on the TV? The AVR shouldn't be doing any video processing at default settings. It should only be "passing" through the video signal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's probably going on is your TV is adjusted for each input device. Are you connecting it to the same HDMI input on the TV? The AVR shouldn't be doing any video processing at default settings. It should only be "passing" through the video signal.
Yeah, one hdmi out from my receiver to my TV.

Thanks for your help

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Anyone used the network access to the AVNavigator remote to turn on their 1124? Once I turn the unit on manually or with the actual remote I can use the network remote just fine. In Standby On setting I can access the remote even when the unit is off. But no matter what I try can't turn it on via the network remote. I can turn the unit off, just not on.

Why would the access be enabled but can't turn it on?

Firmware update still Pioneer?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You said earlier you have the 1124, which has two HDMI outs, so you can divide your Video and PC Levels devices between those two outputs and configure two TV inputs accordingly. I do that myself.
Great point, Thanks for the help! The only thing i have to iron out now is getting my pc to output HD Audio over HDMI.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, and just bought the 1124 on the sale. I am using it with the Klipsch quintet V, Polk 404 10", and Pioneer AJ 8" in a 14x20 room. The Polk gives plenty of low end rumble, so I would like to use the Pioneer sub to help out with the mid bass frequencies lost from having smaller satellite speakers.

What would be your suggestions of how to set up the Pioneer sub to work best in this configuration with my new amp?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Volume issue

I'm new here and I just bought the 1124. It took a while but it's finally connected and appears to be working well. I only have a blu Ray and CD player connected.

My only issue is that this unit replaced an older model pioneer I had and I only turned up the volume on the older model a quarter of the way which was pretty loud.

I'm having to turn up the volume quite a bit on the 1124 just to hear at low volume so I don't know if it's an issue with the settings on my end.

The manual mentions a "loud" button option but I did not find it. I appreciate any help with this.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, and just bought the 1124 on the sale. I am using it with the Klipsch quintet V, Polk 404 10", and Pioneer AJ 8" in a 14x20 room. The Polk gives plenty of low end rumble, so I would like to use the Pioneer sub to help out with the mid bass frequencies lost from having smaller satellite speakers.

What would be your suggestions of how to set up the Pioneer sub to work best in this configuration with my new amp?
I'm new here and I just bought the 1124. It took a while but it's finally connected and appears to be working well. I only have a blu Ray and CD player connected.

My only issue is that this unit replaced an older model pioneer I had and I only turned up the volume on the older model a quarter of the way which was pretty loud.

I'm having to turn up the volume quite a bit on the 1124 just to hear at low volume so I don't know if it's an issue with the settings on my end.

The manual mentions a "loud" button option but I did not find it. I appreciate any help with this.
You both could really benefit from a thorough reading of the manual specifically on Auto MCACC set-up and configuration.

bluedarts, setting up two subs are very complicated as they tend to get out of "phase" quite often. What exactly is your set up and what is it that you are trying to accomplish?

Loner35, what is your "volume" set at on the 1124? Remember, -15db would be considered 15db less than the factory default of 85db prior to running MCACC. So that isn't very loud at all. Run MCACC full auto set-up after properly connecting all your speakers. Use the expert mode. Then 0db will be "reference" and will produce quite a bit of "sound"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Remember, -15db would be considered 15db less than the factory default of 85db prior to running MCACC. So that isn't very loud at all. Run MCACC full auto set-up after properly connecting all your speakers. Use the expert mode. Then 0db will be "reference" and will produce quite a bit of "sound"
For me it seems to be the opposite, before running MCACC i was getting high volumes around -25-20db, then MACC reduced the volume of all my channels, and now i have to go to -15-10db on blu rays and around -25-20db for music, i like to hear the movies pretty loud, but i could never get to 0db, it is insanely loud, max i have checked some scenes is at -8db but i thought it was a bit too much.

Does MCACC changes the gains accordingly to specifically get 85db when the volume is set at 0db?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
For me it seems to be the opposite, before running MCACC i was getting high volumes around -25-20db, then MACC reduced the volume of all my channels, and now i have to go to -15-10db on blu rays and around -25-20db for music, i like to hear the movies pretty loud, but i could never get to 0db, it is insanely loud, max i have checked some scenes is at -8db but i thought it was a bit too much.

Does MCACC changes the gains accordingly to specifically get 85db when the volume is set at 0db?
From what I was told when I asked this question a few months back was that when you run MCACC it will set it so that 0db is reference for your particular speaker set up. For example, when I had "inefficient" NHT bookshelf speakers coupled with "efficient" Klipsch floor-standing speakers, MCACC set the Klipsch's to -7db and the NHT's to +3-4db. This allowed "0db on the display" to play at reference levels for both the Klipsch speakers and the NHT speakers. Reference was way too loud for my liking (I never got an SPL out to see what it was by it was likely 100db or so). Anyhow, what you are getting on the volume control knob is completely normal. I usually am at about -30db for the kids and when I am watching a movie by myself I am at no more than -15db (usually). All my NHT speakers are at about +3db according to MCACC calibration. It set my sub to -7db but I bumped it up to -4db. In fact, I am going to reduce the gain knob on my sub to between 1 and 2 o'clock and re-run MCACC because I noticed the sub turned off the other day during a Netflix show (DD+) so I'm think -4db isn't enough of a signal to keep it on all the time. I would prefer it be -3db according to MCACC and then I'll manually adjust it to 0db. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loner35, what is your "volume" set at on the 1124? Remember, -15db would be considered 15db less than the factory default of 85db prior to running MCACC. So that isn't very loud at all. Run MCACC full auto set-up after properly connecting all your speakers. Use the expert mode. Then 0db will be "reference" and will produce quite a bit of "sound"

Ok, I'm going to confess that I'm not very technical and I'm a girl...why did I get this receiver? Because I already had an older model and I liked the way it sounded...so having said this, I'm a bit lost.

I ran the full MCACC but I still dont hear much of a difference. Right now I'm listening to the TV at -16 db and it's not that loud. The speakers have been set up correctly. Oh, and I did have my geek friend (guy) come over to help me hook this up and he couldnt figure it out...I did it alone. I'm just a little stuck on this volume thing.

So it starts at -80 db and I can hear something at -45 db and that is very low. I also messed with the manual set up and noticed a bit of a difference (louder) but not all that much.

I'm just trying to make sure there's nothing wrong with it, but at this point I think it's just me.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts

Hi Loner35, what listening mode are you using?

Is it possible you were using Ext Stereo on the older Pioneer which seem to boost the volume but now using a different listening mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zone 2 EQ on Pioneer VSX-1124

i just bought 1124, i like it, but..
I have simple setup at home, my main zone is TV in the basement, that works great but my problem is with zone2. when i research this project my original thought was to get 1024, than i found out i can not stream live Internet radio to zone 2, so had to up to 1124. now, that works on 1124 but now i am finding out i have no control over audio in zone2 other then volume up/dn (using surround speakers out to zone 2). unless (possible) i am missing something in the setup i could not figure out how to to control/eq audio in zone2. lots of good knowledge in the forum, anyone have some inside to it? the entire purpose for me to buy this was to be able to have good audio in zone2 (leaving room), while someone else could use TV in the basement. all works, except audio is kinda flat.. i know i could use external amp and equalize audio that way, but that almost defeats the purpose of having zone 2. what for do i need if i need to buy separate piece to do that. i could easily settle for two diff pieces from start as i have no TV in zone2..
so, is there a way to accomplish anything with one 1124 to make audio better in zone2 or i am out of luck here.. and if so, is there any other HT around the same price range that have zone2 eq independent of the main zone.

221 - 240 of 488 Posts