AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Could someone tell me the main differences between these two sets?  I know that the Sharp will have active 3D and the Vizio will not have any 3D at all but beyond that, what separates these two TV’s?  I am not a videophile but I do want the best bang for the buck.  Currently have a Samsung LN52A650 that is working fine but I am wanting a larger screen.  Will hook up the new TV to a surround sound system if that matters much.  We watch a lot of sports, kids play PS3, and we watch a movie about every other week or so.  The “smart” features of the TV are not that important to me as we have incredible slow internet.  I know that there are a bunch of really smart people on here and I don’t have the time or energy to invest in educating myself to that extent.  Hoping I can utilize a few kind souls knowledge to help me get up to speed quickly.  Thank you in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The Sharp is presently for sale.

The Vizio may never be..

·
Registered
14,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Wing  /t/1524698/2014-sharp-aquos-4k-ultr...s-ultra-hd-full-array-p702ui-b3#post_24541057

Could someone tell me the main differences between these two sets?  I know that the Sharp will have active 3D and the Vizio will not have any 3D at all but beyond that, what separates these two TV’s?  I am not a videophile but I do want the best bang for the buck.  Currently have a Samsung LN52A650 that is working fine but I am wanting a larger screen.  Will hook up the new TV to a surround sound system if that matters much.  We watch a lot of sports, kids play PS3, and we watch a movie about every other week or so.  The “smart” features of the TV are not that important to me as we have incredible slow internet.  I know that there are a bunch of really smart people on here and I don’t have the time or energy to invest in educating myself to that extent.  Hoping I can utilize a few kind souls knowledge to help me get up to speed quickly.  Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Biggest differences are that the Vizio is FALD where the Sharp is edge-lit frame dimming, so black levels and shadow detail should be significantly better on the Vizio.

Second biggest difference is that the Vizio is a true UHD panel where the sharp is a 1080p+/4K- panel, and I think that also translates into full HDMI2.0/H265 on the Vizio and some of that missing on the Sharp (only HDMI1.4?).

And then there is the fact that the Sharps are available in the market now and the Vizio will not be available until later this year (if ever, though I think the risk is greater that the R Series may not materialize than the P).

And also there is the fact that Sharp has a higher reputation for quality and customer service than Vizio.

And lastly, there is the fact that Vizio is the #2 in the US market and is almost certain to continue to be a major player in the US 3-4 years from now while there is a significant likelihood that Sharp will be pulling out of the consumer TV market over the next 3-4 years (at least here in the US, where they are not even in the top 5 today).

If you need to get a TV soon, I'd probably suggest the Sharp (or the Toshiba L7400U, depending on what screen size you are looking for). If you can take your time and see what unfolds over the summer, there could be some interesting alternatives including the Vizio P that are better choices over the Sharp.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I saw the 70-UD at a Pauls TV today. Stunning.

The 70-UD is actual 4K according the the 2014 Sharp thread. It is the rest of the Sharp line that uses the 4K on HD (Q+) technology.

The Everything Line - Sharp AQUOS 4K Ultra HD Series - UD Line:

60" or 70" (with possibly more screen sizes to be announced later in the year)

Native 4K Display

Upsampling of HD to 2160p

HD content upscaled

SuperBright Technology

4 HDMI 2.0 inputs

THX 4K certified

3D ready with 2 Bluetooth glasses included

New SmartCentral platform (SmartCentral 3)

MSRP = $5K for 60" and $6K for 70"

If they had an 80" version I might've bought it right there. I'm holding out for the 79" Sony XBR. I would love to see the Vizio P series as well, but since they can't even give a firm date on the rest of the E series or ANY of the M series, I've given up hope of anything better than holiday season launch. Not sure if I can stand to wait that long.

·
Registered
14,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius  /t/1524698/2014-sharp-aquos-4k-ultr...s-ultra-hd-full-array-p702ui-b3#post_24546201

I saw the 70-UD at a Pauls TV today. Stunning.

The 70-UD is actual 4K according the the 2014 Sharp thread. It is the rest of the Sharp line that uses the 4K on HD (Q+) technology.

The Everything Line - Sharp AQUOS 4K Ultra HD Series - UD Line:

60" or 70" (with possibly more screen sizes to be announced later in the year)

Native 4K Display

Upsampling of HD to 2160p

HD content upscaled

SuperBright Technology

4 HDMI 2.0 inputs

THX 4K certified

3D ready with 2 Bluetooth glasses included

New SmartCentral platform (SmartCentral 3)

MSRP = $5K for 60" and $6K for 70"

If they had an 80" version I might've bought it right there. I'm holding out for the 79" Sony XBR. I would love to see the Vizio P series as well, but since they can't even give a firm date on the rest of the E series or ANY of the M series, I've given up hope of anything better than holiday season launch. Not sure if I can stand to wait that long.

You're right, my bad - I though the thread title was asking about the UQ, but it was the UD.

So both the P and the UD are full 4K - no difference at all there.

On the other hand, the UD has lower contrast ratio than the UQ (10,000,000:1 versus 12,000,000:1), so whatever the advantage the FALD P-Series has in terms of black levels and shadow detail against the Edge Lit Frame Dimming (ELFD) UQ, it should be even more pronounced against the UD.

Oh, and the 70" UD has an MSRP of $6000 and a street price of $4000, where the 70" P Series has an MSRP of $2600 (2/3rds the price).

Since the 70" UQ is priced closer to the 70"P at $2950 (street; $4000 MSRP), I just assumed the OP was asking to compare the P to the UQ, not the UD...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Frfrd,remember just because it's FALD it's not the greatest show on earth. I see everyone saying you got to have FALD.Take a look at the Lg 9700. IMO the LG does nothing for me. Granted Sony and Samsung do a better job but at what price point. I suspect and can only speculate from previous Vizio panels that I expect a lot of LG likes. We will see soon. Unfortunately I am in the market for a 70 inch within a month so I'll have to deaI with what's available , I very much appreciate your input as you seem very knowledgeable about the issue we all have in choosing a flat panel. I am coming from a 64 inch pioneer elite and I do expect a increase in PQ. I am leaning toward the sharp 70 UQ or SQ.

·
Registered
14,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geozap  /t/1524698/2014-sharp-aquos-4k-ultr...s-ultra-hd-full-array-p702ui-b3#post_24546425

Frfrd,remember just because it's FALD it's not the greatest show on earth. I see everyone saying you got to have FALD.Take a look at the Lg 9700. IMO the LG does nothing for me. Granted Sony and Samsung do a better job but at what price point. I suspect and can only speculate from previous Vizio panels that I expect a lot of LG likes. We will see soon. Unfortunately I am in the market for a 70 inch within a month so I'll have to deaI with what's available , I very much appreciate your input as you seem very knowledgeable about the issue we all have in choosing a flat panel. I am coming from a 64 inch pioneer elite and I do expect a increase in PQ. I am leaning toward the sharp 70 UQ or SQ.

Geozap,

of course, anyone can do a bad job engineering anything, and there are plenty of FALD TVs that have been hugely disappointing (including the L9700).

That being said, the best engineering team in the world is not going to be able to make an edge-lit TV perform as well as that same engineering team designing a FALD LED/LCD.

So yes, we need to wait to see how the Vizio P Series (and the Vizio M series) performs before we can jump to any definitive conclusions. But early user feedback of the Visio E Series has been relatively positive so far, which is impressive given the very small number of local dimming zones implemented on those panels. Hopefully the CNET review will come out soon and we will get a more objective assessment of Vizio's 2014 FALD technology.

If one is in a position to wait until later this year to finalize a decision, I believe there is good reason to hope that that patience may be rewarded with better performance / price than is available today. And if not, there are several excellent TVs already on the market now or coming soon (I am awaiting to see the first user reviews of the Toshiba L7400U, hoping this will give a positive indication of the level of performance we may expect from the L9400U coming out later this year).

If you need to make a decision within a month, I think the Sharp SQ and UQ are the sets to consider. You're probably not going to get the same dark levels and shadow derail as your Pioneer Elite, but you are going to get near-4K for a very attractive price. I am still unclear what the 12,000,000:1 CR of the UQ versus the 8,000,000:1 CR of the SQ really translates into in terms of PQ. For the price difference, I would go for the SQ unless the Super Bright Backlight and this difference in CR is truly visible.

Good luck and let us know what you end up choosing and how it compares to your Pioneer Elite!

·
Registered
41 Posts
fafrd, no doubt FALD is superior to edge lite,and there are the bad apples.The Vizio reference series specs look amazing.I just can't wait until it comes out later this year. That has been on my radar since CES. I,ll keep the forum updated on my journey throughout the buying process.

·
Registered
14,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geozap  /t/1524698/2014-sharp-aquos-4k-ultr...s-ultra-hd-full-array-p702ui-b3#post_24546535

fafrd, no doubt FALD is superior to edge lite,and there are the bad apples.The Vizio reference series specs look amazing.I just can't wait until it comes out later this year. That has been on my radar since CES. I,ll keep the forum updated on my journey throughout the buying process.

The UQ and SQ are my current back-up TVs - will be curious of what you think of your new TV once you have it.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd  /t/1524698/2014-sharp-aquos-4k-ultr...s-ultra-hd-full-array-p702ui-b3#post_24546564

The UQ and SQ are my current back-up TVs - will be curious of what you think of your new TV once you have it.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My budget is roughly $2,500. I guess I am wondering if the specs on the 70" P series are superior enough to anything else currently in my price range that it warrants waiting it out.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The specs are definitely superior to anything in that price range. Anyone can write something down on paper however. Vizio tends to have a poor reputation in product announcement follow-thru. They're a small company, and sometimes announced lines have just disappeared without announcement. Personally I'm planning on waiting as long as I can, but at some point you have to throw in the towel, just figure out when that point is, and figure out what you'll get in lieu.

Personally if they get get an M series out before the summer, and it performs well, I might give them to the end of the summer to get the P series out (don't need to be in the basement watching TV during the summer anyway). Also will give a chance for the shootout and all the review sites to hit up the rest of the 2014 models. If they don't make either of those dates I'll just hit the first big discount on my backups. Presently those are the Sony 79XBR (haven't seen this is person yet), and the Sharp 70UD. If the Panny 900X is ever released it could be added.

·
Registered
14,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius  /t/1524698/2014-sharp-aquos-4k-ultr...s-ultra-hd-full-array-p702ui-b3#post_24547315

The specs are definitely superior to anything in that price range. Anyone can write something down on paper however. Vizio tends to have a poor reputation in product announcement follow-thru. They're a small company, and sometimes announced lines have just disappeared without announcement. Personally I'm planning on waiting as long as I can, but at some point you have to throw in the towel, just figure out when that point is, and figure out what you'll get in lieu.

Personally if they get get an M series out before the summer, and it performs well, I might give them to the end of the summer to get the P series out (don't need to be in the basement watching TV during the summer anyway). Also will give a chance for the shootout and all the review sites to hit up the rest of the 2014 models. If they don't make either of those dates I'll just hit the first big discount on my backups. Presently those are the Sony 79XBR (haven't seen this is person yet), and the Sharp 70UD. If the Panny 900X is ever released it could be added.

You and I are in much the same situation, Solarius.

With 58" Panny AX800 priced at $3800 (after an initial MSRP of $4500), the 65" AX900 is likely to be priced in the range of the SonyX950B. The other FALD backup I am considering in case Vizio does not come through is the Toshiba Radiance L9400U. The 1080p 55" L7400U (also Radiance panel and FALD) was priced at $1500 and has an initial street price of $1200, so I am hoping the 65" L9400U will be priced closer to the Vizio P and Sharp UQ rather than the Sony X950B and Panny AX900...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts