AVS Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 4791 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24775067

I'm getting my 80UQ17U tomorrow from Sharp.

So far what I get from reading the feedback here is that it is a mixed bag and anyone going from a "Good to Great plasma" is going to be disappointed with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue comet  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24774926

Only reason I can think is having the image set with such a cool temp makes it brighter so they do it for that reason. Also maybe because they know the average person is drawn to a cooler look although that doesn't explain why they can't have at least one frigging preset (low) not be so blue biased so people who actually do care about the image can actually use the 10 point without having to go into the service menu.

The high blue is most likely due to that darned yellow sub-pixel...

Wish some professional reviewed had popped up sooner.

I really would not let our talk about blue level concern you. There is no problem getting the grayscale below a delta of 1 and that is a grear for any TV. The human eye can't see any change below a delta of 3.

The sharp has great picture quality so I don't think you will be unhappy.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24774956

I other thing I was able to achieve was a higher contract using the 10p my contrast is at +35 and my brightness is +1 with no clipping.

I checked it a couple times with AVS709 and D. Wow. And it is spot on.

I can see more detail in dark areas then I could before and my whites look a lot better and I still have the same black levels.

That makes sense since if you can limit blue at the high end you can crank up that contrast and get what you're seeing. If this were my tv then Id probably go and deal with all that. That it is my parents and they simply couldn't care less I won't bother spending the time on it. Good to know you were able to improve the image even more by tackling Sharp's issues.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24775067

I'm getting my 80UQ17U tomorrow from Sharp.

So far what I get from reading the feedback here is that it is a mixed bag and anyone going from a "Good to Great plasma" is going to be disappointed with it.

The high blue is most likely due to that darned yellow sub-pixel...

Wish some professional reviewed had popped up sooner.

I wouldn't say anyone as it is all up to each person. I find the image of this 70SQ I am viewing here to be very nice despite the less than ideal performance with absolute black/dim scenes and of course the clouding. Other than that the image seems nice. It's got fantastic detail, colour, linear gamma and greyscale tracking and the image depth is satisfactory. It's no Kuro beater (and by extension I'd guess any of last year's plasmas) but I don't find it that far off my Panny 4 year old VT20 plasma.

As for the blue being jacked up because of the yellow subpixel, I doubt it since you can dial down the blue and the greyscale is just fine. This seems to be purely Sharp looking to maximize how bright the tv is as I, AV and blue comet have mentioned.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyw2  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24775122

Thanks again for all your settings, I'm starting to get my SQ 60" dialed in but still see some issues while watching sports. 

Would you guys recommend calibrating one mode and watching everything on that setting or do you recommend setting up different settings for different types of shows? (movies and sports and gaming)

I love the settings for movies, however, I'm having a hard time dialing in the best settings for sports.  Right now for sports and TV shows I have it set to Dynamic at 120Hz high, clear picture processing: off and film mode off.  Would you guys change any settings for sports?  Every now and then I notice motion blur and just wasn't sure if that will always be there or if my settings need to be tweaked.  Ive tried tweaking the Hz and film mode but still no luck. 

Sorry for all the dumb questions but I really appreciate the help.  My picture already looks way better because of your settings but I just want to make sure Im getting the most from the TV. 

On my displays I use the same settings for different content. I calibrate to the d65 standard since that is the standard for tv and movies and I want my content to look like how it's supposed to even if the content may at time look different than expected. Obviously if one wishes to set up different settings for various content then they can do as they please. The only thing I'll consider doing for sports is slapping on motion enhancing stuff as long as it doesn't mess things up too much by making the motion look too funky.

Try turning film mode to advanced and play with the value when watching sports. That's the motion interpolation/smoothing feature so it'll help with sports blur.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24774728

Your right all manufactures use more blue just some make it so at least you can control it. It was found years ago the blue is appealing to the eye and makes people see whites and being well whiter which in turn makes the TV pop in the big box stores and people go wow look at that picture. Plus oversaturate colors for even more pop per say. The normal consumer likes that vivid jump in your face picture in the stores. In turn it sells TVs.

Rec709 is not for everyone. I have a friend with a new Sony and he loves vivid mode. Every time I see his TV it feels like my eye balls are going to blow through the back of my head. J/k but you get the point.
If you remember I too was in this same mindset.  Dynamic mode (and even fixed Dynamic mode) was much more appealing to me than your settings.  It wasn't until recently that I began to really appreciate Rec709 (assuming that your and rlindo's settings were appropriate for my set).  Now it really feels like my set is displaying an proper image and the colors could not be more accurate.  BD movies are incredible on movie mode now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24774836

I really do think that *most* people will appreciate having a display set to the correct standard and see how much better the picture is if they actually see it and stick with it for more than 3.2 seconds and say "it's too dark" or some other inaccurate comment because their brain has been wired to the torch mode look. It'll no doubt take time for some to adjust yet once they do they will surely see how much better it looks and how natural the colours are and that everything isn't blue biased. I've been running accurate displays since I got a Pioneer Elite RPTV in late late 2000 and there is no way I could ever go back to the regular out of the box jacked up greyscale/colour/gamma stuff.

Yep!  I told myself I am going to give it a chance and now I've found that Dynamic mode is way oversaturated even with BD movies/content

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue comet  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24774926

A lot of folks like a more vivid picture as it tends to make the viewer feel "closer " to the subject matter.. I like viewing in Dynamic but I lower the color and contrast a bit and bring the color temp to middle. I also eliminate clear processing and set active contrast and film mode to std.
At one point I used rlindo's settings on Dynamic and it literally looked equivalent (to my eyes) to movie mode.  I am curious why you have active contrast and film mode set to std?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24775344

On my displays I use the same settings for different content. I calibrate to the d65 standard since that is the standard for tv and movies and I want my content to look like how it's supposed to even if the content may at time look different than expected. Obviously if one wishes to set up different settings for various content then they can do as they please. The only thing I'll consider doing for sports is slapping on motion enhancing stuff as long as it doesn't mess things up too much by making the motion look too funky.

Try turning film mode to advanced and play with the value when watching sports. That's the motion interpolation/smoothing feature so it'll help with sports blur.
Are you turning on film mode for the "game" AV mode?  If so what are your settings?  Furthermore, I know you didn't adjust any CMS values with game mode but what are the rest of your settings for game mode?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24775487

If you remember I too was in this same mindset.  Dynamic mode (and even fixed Dynamic mode) was much more appealing to me than your settings.  It wasn't until recently that I began to really appreciate Rec709 (assuming that your and rlindo's settings were appropriate for my set).  Now it really feels like my set is displaying an proper image and the colors could not be more accurate.  BD movies are incredible on movie mode now!

Yep!  I told myself I am going to give it a chance and now I've found that Dynamic mode is way oversaturated even with BD movies/content

At one point I used rlindo's settings on Dynamic and it literally looked equivalent (to my eyes) to movie mode.  I am curious why you have active contrast and film mode set to std?  

Are you turning on film mode for the "game" AV mode?  If so what are your settings?  Furthermore, I know you didn't adjust any CMS values with game mode but what are the rest of your settings for game mode?

I am very happy to hear about your progress and am very pleased you have been "converted" from the dark side and appreciate what the correct image looks like.
I had confidence that once you spent more time adjusting to accuracy that you'd see the improvement so it is nice to hear that indeed happened.

Yes, dynamic on the default settings is insane for saturation and blown out contrast/white. It makes everything look like a cartoon.

Film mode is greyed out in game mode and I posted my game mode settings in the post where I had the movie ones but I have cut and pasted them below:

Contrast: +28

Brightness: 0

Colour: 0

Tint: -1

Sharpness: 0

Advanced

Resolution Enhanced: mode 1

Clear Picture: Off

Colour Temp: Low

R LO: -2

G LO: +5

B LO: -29

R HI: -5

G HI: +19

B HI: -30

Active Contrast: Off

Gamma: 0

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
One of these review sites with the SQ:

http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/sharp-aquos-lc60sq15u-q-led-tv-review

I like that he mentions the issues with how the 10 point greyscale doesn't go off the 2 point and resets everything. I believe I mentioned that when I tried to do my 10 point and it makes no sense. He also comments on the blue bias/cool colour temp that all the preset temperatures default to. Good (well bad) to know it is common and his out of the box dE with low colour temp was even higher than mine. Funny

Surprised about the brightness being so low as I'm using it right now with the backlighting at 0 and it's plenty bright.

So he says the LEDs are just more blue by nature so if that is the case then it explains this issue.

Another set of settings there for people to try out and see if they work better for their specific set than AV's or mine.

I recommend anyone who owns the set to read through the science & testing page if they just figure me or other amateurs on a forum are kooky with this calibration stuff and talking about how blue this set is and need a pro to tell them the same type of stuff.

·
Registered
192 Posts
At one point I used rlindo's settings on Dynamic and it literally looked equivalent (to my eyes) to movie mode. I am curious why you have active contrast and film mode set to std? >>>>

My error , active contrast is off, noise reduction left at auto, especially watching cable

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2970#post_24776288

My new 60sq15u is coming next week.

Any recommendations to get the best picture?

Any good settings I can try?

Start with the settings in this thread. Use a calibration disc to get it where you like it...and, then WAIT until you've broken it in before deciding what to do next. These TV's need some warm up time...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice.  I recently bought a Sharp LC-70SQ15U and have so far been quite happy with it.  I narrowed down some good settings with the help of this thread.  

I have one thing bugging me though.  When watching TV(Comcast Xfinity) I notice that when the screen is all black with only white text the text can be "jittery".  Such as a Mercedes commercial, at the end when they show the lease information and at the bottom there is the fine print.  The fine print "jitters" or is a bit "shaky".  Or when starting an HBO screen when it is just the word HBO underlined.  The white underline somewhat moves up and down.  

So my question, is there a setting I could adjust to reduce this?  Is this common?  Is it maybe just the source?  Thanks for any help!  I've already gotten plenty from reading the forums here!

·
Registered
66 Posts

i used @rlindo  settings and adjusted the contrast to (+25) and brightness to (-2).  I was irked while watching Penny Dreadful and his settings with those adjustments seemed to give a somewhat darker black level without interfering too much with the overall color output.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmo86  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2970#post_24776375

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice.  I recently bought a Sharp LC-70SQ15U and have so far been quite happy with it.  I narrowed down some good settings with the help of this thread.  

I have one thing bugging me though.  When watching TV(Comcast Xfinity) I notice that when the screen is all black with only white text the text can be "jittery".  Such as a Mercedes commercial, at the end when they show the lease information and at the bottom there is the fine print.  The fine print "jitters" or is a bit "shaky".  Or when starting an HBO screen when it is just the word HBO underlined.  The white underline somewhat moves up and down.  

So my question, is there a setting I could adjust to reduce this?  Is this common?  Is it maybe just the source?  Thanks for any help!  I've already gotten plenty from reading the forums here!

I have two San Francisco locals via Dish TV that are marginal, fuzzy ghosts/distortions on print in white. I believe some of the issues discussed here are source related. I come from a 47" panel, these issues were noticeable but not prominent, but with a 60" it is more recognizable. Tuning them out is possible by reducing sharpness, but to my eye you pay for that in other areas and other channels.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2970#post_24776659

I applied settings and am watching Avatar, trying to get a feel for it.

I was confused about the CMS values. I'm assuming the former applies to Hue while the later applies to Saturation?

Yes sir, that's the way he has his CMS values down as.

I tried his values and either the 60" is set differently from the 70 or there is huuuuuuuuuuge variance between sets as his colours are so oversaturated on my set, specifically red. That or the values written down are wrong in some spots. I mean +10 on the overall colour control and then colours like red and blue boosted up huge on the saturation values in the CMS. It doesn't seem correct just based on the actual numbers yet if no typos then it's clearly correct as the guy knows what he is doing and his charts show the results are correct. I even tried colour at +1, -1 and -10 with his CMS figures and it wasn't that being the typo. Weird stuff.

As I hooked up my meter and Calman to check how off those settings were on this set, I decided to tweak my other stuff and came up with a run that got the overall gamma to 2.22, getting rid of the dip near the high end although my dE at 100 IRE is worse simply because this damn blue can't be tamed short of going into the service menu. It's the reason the contrast setting isn't higher as there is plenty of headroom for it to be higher....it's just the excessive blue holding it back as the more it gets raised the more skewed blue gets driven near the top and causes my higher IRE dEs to rise too much. I also fine tuned my CMS a bit more. No idea if the differences are even noticeable yet I *think* there seems to be a tiny bit more depth and richness to the image but that could just be my brain wanting there to be a difference or it could be the time of day since the room is getting a bit darker.

Here are the new settings:

Movie

Backlight: 0

Contrast: +24

Colour: +1

Tiny: 0

Advanced:

Resolution Enhanced: Mode 1 (note I confirmed what Lee says in his review that this DOES alter the greyscale. I calibrate with it on so any blue it adds is calibrated out)

Motion Enhancement: 120 Low (I use low because I notice a slight lip sync issue with it on high)

Clear Proc: off

CMS- Hue

R -1

Y +1

G -1

C +5

B -19

M -2

CMS- Saturation

R -6

Y +5

G -1

C -4

B +9

M 0

R Lo: +10

G Lo: +15

B Lo: -26

R Hi: -4

G Hi: +16

B Hi: -30

Active Contrast: off

Gamma: -1

Film Mode: off

Colour Gamut: standard

DNR: off

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I also did a new game mode run and got the same type of tightening for gamma. Again, since the gamut is locked into extended for game mode I didn't try and adjust the CMS as I don't know what I'm doing well enough to try and tame that extended beast:

Backlight: 0

Contrast: +26

Colour: 0

Tint: -1

Advanced:

Resolution Enhanced: mode 1

Clear Proc: off

R Lo: +4

G Lo: +10

B Lo: -28

R Hi: -4

G Hi: +20

B Hi: -30

Active Contrast: off

Gamma: -1

DNR: off

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
^ Excellent! Yes the review resulted in an oversaturated red. I wonder what the deal is with +10 on color?!

I will re-apply the settings you came up with. Thanks again for taking the time to post.

I want to purchase a meter but next on the purchase list is a new AVR. The meter will have to wait.

I'll post back once I get movie mode and game mode dialed in.

2961 - 2980 of 4791 Posts