AVS Forum banner

3021 - 3040 of 4791 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3000#post_24782050

Did you end up trying my last posted settings? Yesterday morning I decided to see if I was crazy saying there was a difference and it turns out I was not as colours were indeed bolder, skin tones seem to be a touch more realistic and the image did have just a bit more depth. I did this comparison by putting in my settings from earlier in the week into the vintage movie mode so it was easy to flip back and forth. It's not night and day yet I am pleased with the last calibration run I did and the results.

I do not know why there is this difference. The only thing I can think of is the meter being in a slightly different spot during the run I did Friday and that slightly uniformity (not talking about clouding but general panel uniformity) issues factored in and that's why I got changes that were visible since in theory they shouldn't have been.
I did... applied all the settings you posted (updated settings), everyone has been commenting on how true the colors look. I even lowered the color temp to low. I think my brain has been re-wited. It looks really good.

CNET review was interesting. I think their opinion stemmed from the price. I guess at $1500 one could get the Vizio M series, but Vizio panels never seem to last me, my family and friends, longer than 3 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rlindo...I have gone back and forth on expanded VS standard. I just can't decide! In watching Frozen on an Apple TV feed, standard seemed to offer more depth in scenes. Yet, expanded felt like I was in technicolor heaven. I just entered "OZ". I guess it all boils down to "each his own" in that regard. I just wanted to make sure that by me activating expanded wasn't negating your settings that I activated in any function of the picture or performance of "film" material versus TV. I AM anxiously awaiting AVmaniac's calibration of UQ model. Regardless, any improvement on my pic quality will be a cherry on the sundae, at this point! Question...I haven't downloaded the manual for my TV yet, but I hope there is a way to save pic settings to a specific HDMI input. I believe that I read this was confirmed in an earlier post on this thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2970#post_24779724

When you say game mode doesn't affect this are you saying there is no input lag when using game mode?

I solely use this set connected to my HTPC. I have no other equipment. No input lag on game mode. Much input lag on every other mode. It doesn't bother me to switch to game mode to game and use the HTPC as productivity.
Unfortunately not. There is same input lag for every TV settings including game or PC mode for me...

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3000#post_24783508

I did... applied all the settings you posted (updated settings), everyone has been commenting on how true the colors look. I even lowered the color temp to low. I think my brain has been re-wited. It looks really good.

CNET review was interesting. I think their opinion stemmed from the price. I guess at $1500 one could get the Vizio M series, but Vizio panels never seem to last me, my family and friends, longer than 3 years.

And he's fully converted everyone!
Joking aside, I'm glad you are liking the resulting image.

I agree that price was the big factor in their review and I have a feeling the UQ probably isn't worth the extra price over the SQ so that also factored in. I also do truly feel the unit they reviewed was gimped up. There is no way they should only have been able to get a 1.91 gamma after calibration so it just seems like a really bad set they got sent.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRod16  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3000#post_24783514

Rlindo...I have gone back and forth on expanded VS standard. I just can't decide! In watching Frozen on an Apple TV feed, standard seemed to offer more depth in scenes. Yet, expanded felt like I was in technicolor heaven. I just entered "OZ". I guess it all boils down to "each his own" in that regard. I just wanted to make sure that by me activating expanded wasn't negating your settings that I activated in any function of the picture or performance of "film" material versus TV. I AM anxiously awaiting AVmaniac's calibration of UQ model. Regardless, any improvement on my pic quality will be a cherry on the sundae, at this point! Question...I haven't downloaded the manual for my TV yet, but I hope there is a way to save pic settings to a specific HDMI input. I believe that I read this was confirmed in an earlier post on this thread.

Yeah, I feel it is down to personal preference. Expanded won't be as accurate yet if one prefers the look then I feel they should go with it. Frozen is a good example of where the look can really be nice since animation will probably benefit the most from the more saturated look. Probably explains my results with video games using it as a bolder look for gaming is visually pleasing.

This TV is only using one HDMI input but I'd like to think that each will have their own settings. It'd be a big oversight if not.

The two pro reviews of the UQ have resulted in very different calibrated numbers than what AV and I have got on the SQ so hopefully when he gets that UQ set done the numbers he will post will make your image even better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

I am on my third 80UQ17U. The first had large clouding in the lower left and right corners along with 5 stuck pixels. The second tv had better uniformity except that there was a brighter cloud in the lower left corner with 7 stuck pixels. This third tv has less obvious clouding in the lower corners but unfortunately has more clouds in the middle and upper portion on the screen. This tv also has 4 stuck pixels. I'm starting to wander about Sharp's quality.

I know clouding is a problem with edge lit displays but I can't help but think that this is unacceptable on these displays that cost this much. I realize every technology has cons that I may have to live with. FALD sets are very expensive and I would like to stick with a display 75 or larger. Who knows if Vizio's rumored 80 FALD will appear.

What do you folks think? I wanted this set because it seemed like it was one of the better bang for your buck displays. The pixels are less of a problem because I sit about 14 feet away so they are not visible but I wander if there are any of these out there without any stuck or dead pixels. I realize the clouding can be reduced with a calibration and possibly some bias lighting.

Should I try again in the panel lottery or see what comes out by the end of the year? I have a Mits. 73 DLP that still is working but I like the punch an LED display has.

By the way, I purchased the Sharp at Best Buy and they have been good about exchanges.

Are stuck pixels and clouding worth exchanging for again hoping that I get a better unit?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
If I were you I'd return it and just wait as I don't think the odds are in your favour that the next UQ will be problem free.

Regarding the pixels, are you going up to the screen and searching for them?

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight level  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3000#post_24784309

Hello,

I am on my third 80UQ17U. The first had large clouding in the lower left and right corners along with 5 stuck pixels. The second tv had better uniformity except that there was a brighter cloud in the lower left corner with 7 stuck pixels. This third tv has less obvious clouding in the lower corners but unfortunately has more clouds in the middle and upper portion on the screen. This tv also has 4 stuck pixels. I'm starting to wander about Sharp's quality.

I know clouding is a problem with edge lit displays but I can't help but think that this is unacceptable on these displays that cost this much. I realize every technology has cons that I may have to live with. FALD sets are very expensive and I would like to stick with a display 75 or larger. Who knows if Vizio's rumored 80 FALD will appear.

What do you folks think? I wanted this set because it seemed like it was one of the better bang for your buck displays. The pixels are less of a problem because I sit about 14 feet away so they are not visible but I wander if there are any of these out there without any stuck or dead pixels. I realize the clouding can be reduced with a calibration and possibly some bias lighting.

Should I try again in the panel lottery or see what comes out by the end of the year? I have a Mits. 73 DLP that still is working but I like the punch an LED display has.

By the way, I purchased the Sharp at Best Buy and they have been good about exchanges.

Are stuck pixels and clouding worth exchanging for again hoping that I get a better unit?

I think clouding will always be an issue with almost all edge-lit TVs, specially when the TV is out of the box and settings not adjusted.

Based on the environment you will have your TV in, check to see if reducing the back light and brightness enough to reduce the clouding and then start adjusting the picture from there.

My 2c.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also purchased a Sharp 80" Q+ 10 days ago and the picture is excellent. But I'm too concerned about the "clouding issue" with my set. I have a few questions:

1. Should we expect to have no clouding effect?

2. What should be a reasonable amount clouding that you should just live with?

3. Are their settings that eliminate or lessen this? How does calebration help? Do I have the "back lit" to high?

4. When I call Sharp their only suggestion is to do a "hard reset" and if that doesn't work take.picture of the screen and send it to them.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEXTREMEone  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3000#post_24784652

I also purchased a Sharp 80" Q+ 10 days ago and the picture is excellent. But I'm too concerned about the "clouding issue" with my set. I have a few questions:

1. Should we expect to have no clouding effect?

2. What should be a reasonable amount clouding that you should just live with?

3. Are their settings that eliminate or lessen this? How does calebration help? Do I have the "back lit" to high?

4. When I call Sharp their only suggestion is to do a "hard reset" and if that doesn't work take.picture of the screen and send it to them.

Any thoughts on this?

1) All edge lit LCD's should have clouding to some effect.

2) Mine is in the bottom corners of the tv, and one spot half way up on the left. It is only really visible during the sharp screen, or sometimes a completely off input. If I am watching or playing something , there is no sign of it what-so-ever. Honestly, I am of the opinion that if it is not noticeable during viewing content, who cares?

3) AVSManiac, pixel, and rlindo all posted settings that look great and minimize it. Backlighting is one of the main issues, running in out of the box torch mode is another. Grab a user mode, put in their settings, and watch for a few days and see what you think.

4) A hard reset is going to do nothing but put it back in out of the box grossness. Try some of the settings posted in the thread they look great.

Hope this helps some!

Dustin

·
Registered
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRod16  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3000#post_24783258

LOVING MY 80" UQ! Rilondo and AVmaniac, thanks for all the pic settings. Just curious, why did the settings abandon the expanded color gamut? Did I miss a post about the advantages over standard versus expanded discussion? I thought AVmaniac suggested it was the thing to do, seeing it is a 10 bit panel. Yet, the new rilando settings has it set to standard. Also, I have noticed a slight judder with my second generation Apple TV, unless I activate Film Mode to "Advanced" at it's lower setting. Any thoughts on that one? I thought it was because of an old HDMI cable, until I did internet research and realized that the second generation also only outputs to 720p. That sucks! Time for an AppleTV upgrade. In the meantime, anyone experience lag and judder on just the Apple TV stream?

No, I am not seeing it either, but I have the most current version of AppleTV. Have you tried out the CNET settings? They are totally different from Rlindo's and AVmaniac's and are for a UQ tv. They also look very good. Something to try out until AVManiac gets a chance to calibrate his friends.

Chip

·
Registered
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3030#post_24784724

1) All edge lit LCD's should have clouding to some effect.

2) Mine is in the bottom corners of the tv, and one spot half way up on the left. It is only really visible during the sharp screen, or sometimes a completely off input. If I am watching or playing something , there is no sign of it what-so-ever. Honestly, I am of the opinion that if it is not noticeable during viewing content, who cares?

3) AVSManiac, pixel, and rlindo all posted settings that look great and minimize it. Backlighting is one of the main issues, running in out of the box torch mode is another. Grab a user mode, put in their settings, and watch for a few days and see what you think.

4) A hard reset is going to do nothing but put it back in out of the box grossness. Try some of the settings posted in the thread they look great.

Hope this helps some!

Dustin

I get some clouding too. Mine is in the upper left corner, but it comes/goes depending on where you sit. Once I get a professional calibration done and if that doesn't correct it, I will probably just throw up some led back lighting behind the tv.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3030#post_24784813

No, I am not seeing it either, but I have the most current version of AppleTV. Have you tried out the CNET settings? They are totally different from Rlindo's and AVmaniac's and are for a UQ tv. They also look very good. Something to try out until AVManiac gets a chance to calibrate his friends.

Chip

Where or what are cnet's settings?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Do ANY of the new Sharp models have a "non-matte" type glass finish?

In other words - do any of the new Sharp models have a shiny, mirror-like, glass that most people don't like - but people with all dark rooms love...?

Every Sharp I have seen has that matte-finish type screen that just makes the picture look flat and not vibrant.

·
Registered
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemechfrito  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/2940#post_24774544

0 people like this thread

Sharp LC-60UQ17U picture settings - New!

by tpendlebury - 5/29/14 2:22 PM

Review:
http://www.cnet.com/products/sharp-lc-60uq17u/

Related products:

LC-70UQ17U, LC-80UQ17U

Calibration report using these settings:

TK

TV software/firmware version tested: 203U1403291

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Sharp LC-60UQ17U in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: While the TV comes with a THX mode the combination of a lack of backlight control in that mode and overly blue grey scale meant I didn't proceed with it during calibration.

The same blue problems occurred when using 10-point color temp control as opposed to just two-point and so I just used two-point.

AV Mode: Movie

THX Setup: [greyed out]

Backlight: 0

Contrast: +30

Brightness: 0

Color 0:

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

--Advanced Menu

Resolution Enhanced [Mode 1]

Motion Enhancement: Off

Clear Picture Processing: Off

CMS -Hue

R: 0, Y: 0, G: 0, C: -2, B: 0, M: 0

CMS -Saturation R 0 Y 0 G -2 C 0 B 0 M 0

C.M.S. -Value

[all zero]

Color Temp: Low

10 point setting: Off

Position: [greyed out]

R Gain (LO): 0

G Gain (LO): +27

B Gain (LO): -5

R Gain (HI): -23

G Gain (HI): -26

B Gain (HI): --24

Active Contrast Off

Gamma Adjustment +3

Film Mode: Std

Digital Noise Reduction: Off

Color Gamut Range: Standard

Lamp Swing Effect: [greyed out]

Monochrome: Off

Game Type: [greyed out]

Black Level: [greyed out]

Light Sensor Adjustment: Max +16, Min -3

Here are those settings. The only one I couldn't change was the Film Mode to Standard. I am using Movie mode, but for some reason it was greyed out. If someone on the forum knows why I would appreciate the input.

Chip

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3030#post_24785047

Do ANY of the new Sharp models have a "non-matte" type glass finish?

In other words - do any of the new Sharp models have a shiny, mirror-like, glass that most people don't like - but people with all dark rooms love...?

Every Sharp I have seen has that matte-finish type screen that just makes the picture look flat and not vibrant.

It's semi matte and gives off some reflections but not the mirror type you are asking about. Reminds me of my Panny VT20. Another similar screen is that on the current Macbook Pro with retina although the macbook screen is slightly glossier.

·
Vendor
27,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3000#post_24782774

This.

If it were $4,999 I would jump on it and stop worrying about FALD and 4K and let the dust settle for a few years.
I just picked up some used Panasonic 85" Plasma's for a little over that with 3 year warranties, I have 2 extra

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3030#post_24784813

Chip

Chip,

I have visited cnet and tried to access their picture settings on the supplied "TV icon Link", but nothing opens with the settings. I'm not sure why?? Any chance you can copy and paste them to this forum?

[email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRod16  /t/1510153/2014-sharp-aquos-line-up/3030#post_24785924

Chip,

I have visited cnet and tried to access their picture settings on the supplied "TV icon Link", but nothing opens with the settings. I'm not sure why?? Any chance you can copy and paste them to this forum?

[email protected]

See above #3036 for cnet settings

3021 - 3040 of 4791 Posts