AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow A/V geeks. I have a quick question for those of you who sell or otherwise deal with Sony TVs on a regular basis: Have you noticed an unusual number of product flaws and defects this year? I have sold Sony products for nearly 10 years, and generally they have been go-tos for me when a customer says they want something very reliable and well-built. This year, I have had a number of defective and badly flawed sets come into my store.

My intention is certainly not to disparage Sony. I've always been fond of their products. However, I am very concerned and would like to know if I am the only one encountering these issues this year. If I am not alone, I hope other retailers will raise their concerns with the distributors from whom they order Sony products. Hopefully these issues are short-lived.

So far, I have received a KDL32R420B that quit turning on after being on display for about a week, another KDL32R420B that came in with a very uneven backlight (the screen was very dark in two large spots, and it had light stripes in center of the screen), a KDL60R550A that had two lines of dead pixels that developed after about a month on display, and a KDL50W800B that had an uneven backlight with moderate spotlighting directly above the "Sony" logo at the bottom of the TV and other spotlighting throughout the screen.

On top of those problems, we have also noticed at least one dead pixel per-TV on nearly every other Sony we've sold so far this year. Those include a KDL70R850B, a KDL55W950B, another KDL50W800B and two KDL40W600Bs. We have sold several other Sony sets this year that appeared to have no issues.

Though some flaws are to be expected with any brand or product, I have never seen so many issues with Sony products. One dead pixel on a TV here-and-there is understandable. One dead pixel per-TV is very unusual. I have started opening all of our Sony shipments to check the TVs for defects, since we only have a short window of time to send them back. I've never had to do that with any brand, though we only sell Sony, Samsung, and LG TVs.

None of the TVs I described above appeared to be damaged in shipping. We receive our TVs directly from Sony, rather than a third-party distributor.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Look over on the 950b thread, a lot of people returning sets for debris under the screen, panel banding, filters our of alignment, bleed, etc. I attempted to buy two of these sets. Went through 5. Only one was passable and it still had debris under the backlight diffuser. Best buy said Sony's are their number one returned television set without a doubt.

My advice would be to push a different brand. Contacting sony myself on 4 attempts yielded no results and they hung up once. They used to be great. Not anymore it would appear.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
The 65B is still a great set. The only thing I would recommend to Sony is to ship with better protection. Most issues are caused by damage in the shipping process. I think the 65B is one of the top 5 best displays ever made.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts