AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is unfortunate that a lot of time and energy is spent to produce the highest quality video, only to have the local affiliates turn the video into crap by their bitstarving and filtering.

The Madonna performance was littered with macroblocks. At least it was via my local affiliate: WISC.

Thank goodness for my BUD. I would have tuned in the international feed if it weren't for the cold weather freezing my dish's arm. I gotta get that protected. :D

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Is this the first time they are actually mixing the entire show in DD 5.1?
In the past the musical performances were only stereo.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
I won't have a chance to watch it and comment until tomorrow, too much else going on tonight but my Tivo will get to watch it live :D
It will be interesting to see what will probably be the last full bandwidth live broadcast on my local O&O CBS channel(WCCO). Apparently they'll be adding a SD sub anytime :( They are the only "clear channel" in my market, everyone else has from 1 to several SD subs, one even has a HD sub.......and they look like it. WCCO has always had noticeably less macroblocking than the other channels. Not that they had none, they did like I believe every other ATSC channel, clear or not but it was really only visable with the use of strobes or things like confetti, I have a feeling I'll be noticing even more with the addition of a sub channel :(

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I won't have a chance to watch it and comment until tomorrow, too much else going on tonight but my Tivo will get to watch it live :D
It will be interesting to see what will probably be the last full bandwidth live broadcast on my local O&O CBS channel(WCCO). Apparently they'll be adding a SD sub anytime :( They are the only "clear channel" in my market, everyone else has from 1 to several SD subs, one even has a HD sub.......and they look like it. WCCO has always had noticeably less macroblocking than the other channels. Not that they had none, they did like I believe every other ATSC channel, clear or not but it was really only visable with the use of strobes or things like confetti, I have a feeling I'll be noticing even more with the addition of a sub channel :(
WFSB OTA in CT stinks. 3 SUBS

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't know until I tear apart the feed's Dolby-E audio stream after the show is over.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
In the past the musical performances were only stereo.
Actually, they've been mixing the entire show in DD 5.1 and 2-channel for years; which one you get depends on what your local station decides to carry. I've gone behind the scenes for the last 10 years to interview the sound engineers, and I know they've been mixing in 5.1 for most of that time.

Here's my coverage of last year's Grammys, including video interviews with 10 tech people behind the broadcast:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/1514550-avs-goes-behind-scenes-56th-annual-grammy-awards.html

In the 5.1 mix, they have mics in the audience, which is mixed to the surround channels.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Well I watched a bit, all I can say is WOW! Great looking video, minimal macroblocking, even at the end of the terrific Highway To Hell when all hell broke lose ;) and the strobes started and what sounded like to me finally 5.1! Wow! nobody does HD like CBS and nobody presents it better than a clear channel(well I guess except for Mr. Video's BUD):D

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Seems to be DD 5.1, I'm getting a little bit in my rear surrounds, but it's not much -- the rear surrounds sound exactly like a couple microphones at the very back of the room, with the inherent delay and echo -- not a good thing.

McCartney's mic wasn't working during the much hyped performance with Kanye and Rihanna. Wonder if anyone gets fired for that. :eek:

PQ looks great here in Cleveland, WOIO OTA with 1 subchannel.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Well the Miranda Lambert had a smattering of macroblocking and what was up during her number when the audio blanked out for several seconds, both on 5.1 and stereo :confused: did she swear or sing something vulgar? I don't think it was a local issue and probably not on a BUD? sure distracting though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well the Miranda Lambert had a smattering of macroblocking and what was up during her number when the audio blanked out for several seconds, both on 5.1 and stereo :confused: did she swear or sing something vulgar? I don't think it was a local issue and probably not on a BUD? sure distracting though!
Miranda dropped out on CityTV in Canada too. It was right in the part of the song where she swears in the album version so she must have forgot to censor herself

"And I've got long, blonde hair
And I play guitar, and I go on the road
And I do all the **** you wanna do".

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the 5.1 mix, they have mics in the audience, which is mixed to the surround channels.
That's not the 5.1 mix we are looking for. A TRUE 5.1 mix would have vocals in the center (unless a vocal effect was being done to place the audio anywhere in the field, then it would be in whatever channel). There would also be music in the surrounds. There would be deep bass in the LFE.

That is what we mean.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it was a local issue and probably not on a BUD?
I have to watch via local, as I cannot watch and capture via the BUD at the same time. I'm fairly certain that the basically clean feed I was capturing will have the censorship. The international feed normally does not. But, as mentioned, I could not move the 12' dish (I also have a 10') that has the needed Ku, to the international feed.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
What year was the first in HD? I recall struggling to get a good signal was the only outlet in HD was in Detroit 60 miles away. I'm thinking 12 years ago but I might be mistaken. Back then the image was pristine but easily prone to macro blocking and the sound was only 2 channel. Today video is not as high bit rate but the audio is better.

As to the content of the show I found it less an awards show and more of a concert, not a bad move.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not the 5.1 mix we are looking for. A TRUE 5.1 mix would have vocals in the center (unless a vocal effect was being done to place the audio anywhere in the field, then it would be in whatever channel). There would also be music in the surrounds. There would be deep bass in the LFE.
Damn. I just tore apart the Dolby-E for part of the show and they did it right this year. The vocals were in the center channel and the only LFE was during the performances and contained the deep bass. I did a FFT of the LFE and it was the correct bandwidth (freq range). The surrounds only contained ambiance, which is fine.

Maybe, just maybe, they've heard the complaints about the performance mix.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Miranda dropped out on CityTV in Canada too. It was right in the part of the song where she swears in the album version so she must have forgot to censor herself

"And I've got long, blonde hair
And I play guitar, and I go on the road
And I do all the **** you wanna do".
I watched this from the uncensored international feed previously mentioned. She actually did censor herself by not quite saying the full word, plus she took the mike away from her mouth, but I guess there was still enough of a "sh" sound for the network censors to introduce an uncomfortably long silence.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I didn't watch the entire show, but what I did looked and sounded excellent OTA. Katy Perry knocked my socks off. Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett have a good thing going. Lady Gaga impresses me more and more each time I see her. Her stage presence and style reminds me of Liza Minnelli.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
And then Kanye had to do his stupidity. Again. :rolleyes:

I was out on Sunday, didn't record it. I don't think I missed much...where I went, the entertainment was much better. :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
Seemed like there was more performances this year.Good thing. I had not seen Tom Jones for a long time. He sounded just like he did 40 years ago. He has not aged too bad. Madonna looks fantastic at her age.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Jaime Camil ‏@jaimecamil 13h13 hours ago
Dear @TWC: Your service REALLY SUCKS! The screen has been pixeling nonstop, you've made it impossible and a nightmare to watch @thegRAMMYs

If you don't know Jaime he stars in the uprising sitcom Jane the Virgin, well public humiliation of TWC by a rising celebrity well deserved

1 - 20 of 39 Posts