AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a new TV this year around 65 inches and was wondering when will the 4K OLED TV's be released and when will the new 4K Quantum Dot LED's be released?. On the Samsung website they haven't made any new models for any type of TV for 2015 and are continuing their old model LED's of 2014 through 2015. Seems to be a bad year for HDTV technology. Seems only LG is making OLED and the other companies haven't done anything.

What should i do?.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I want to buy a new TV this year around 65 inches and was wondering when will the 4K OLED TV's be released and when will the new 4K Quantum Dot LED's be released?. On the Samsung website they haven't made any new models for any type of TV for 2015 and are continuing their old model LED's of 2014 through 2015. Seems to be a bad year for HDTV technology. Seems only LG is making OLED and the other companies haven't done anything.

What should i do?.
Just had a meeting with a SONY rep. There are some amazing 4k TV's from them albeit expensive. Super duper thin and fantastic specs. I'm either a Samsung or Sony guy from my install experiences but I have yet to jump on the 3D or 4K bandwagon. I need some 4k Sources first before I even think about purchasing a 4k TV.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quantum dot is already out and in stores from Samsung. They don't call it "quantum dot" though, they call it "nano-crystal color technology". LG OLEDs are out too but in extremely limited quantities so you need to preorder way in advance to get one.

At 65" the sammy JS9500 is all the rage right now because none of the reviews for the LG 65" OLED have been released yet. Stilling waiting on input lag measurements, HDMI port speeds, HDR confirmation, etc.

On the Sony front there are some very sketchy specs floating about including low speed HDMI 2 ports (limited to 10gbps), no "true" HDR support out of the box, no 4:4:4, etc. No one really knows for sure though because Sony takes forever to release stuff after they announce it at CES and it's hard to find any concrete specs on their sets.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you guys think i should do?.. when will LG release their full line of 4K Oleds?. Also that Samsung JS9500 is almost the same price as a 4K Oled at the same size.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
What you guys think i should do?.. when will LG release their full line of 4K Oleds?. Also that Samsung JS9500 is almost the same price as a 4K Oled at the same size.
MSRP will be close, but the Samsung will street for a lot less since OLED will be supply constrained still.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OLED TVs VS. Affordibility

I am excited that it is available but still I am wanting a 65" OLED and have been waiting years for it. Now that it is finally here at around $9K, I will have to wait for it to be affordable. It will be replacing (brace yourself) a 65" Sony HD CRT TV that retailed for $6K 12 years ago. Granted, I bought it on closeout for around $3K at the time, I have learned that bleeding edge technology comes at a high cost. The questions now become, 1, Will LG continue down this OLED path, and will others follow? 2, How long will it take for prices to come down, or will new models existing ones. Historically, I am hoping for about 3 years to make it affordable via a used or 2nd, 3rd generation 65" OLED TV to be in the $3K neighborhood. Thoughts?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
9K for a 65 OLED is a VERY high price for consumers. I bet this year not even Quantum Dot 4K Tv's at 65 inch will be below 7K. So whats left is cheap edge lit LED.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I am excited that it is available but still I am wanting a 65" OLED and have been waiting years for it. Now that it is finally here at around $9K, I will have to wait for it to be affordable. It will be replacing (brace yourself) a 65" Sony HD CRT TV that retailed for $6K 12 years ago. Granted, I bought it on closeout for around $3K at the time, I have learned that bleeding edge technology comes at a high cost. The questions now become, 1, Will LG continue down this OLED path, and will others follow? 2, How long will it take for prices to come down, or will new models existing ones. Historically, I am hoping for about 3 years to make it affordable via a used or 2nd, 3rd generation 65" OLED TV to be in the $3K neighborhood. Thoughts?
Street prices for the 65" OLED is down to $7.5K and the 65JS9500 can be found around $5K from reputable forum sponsors. The LCDs have much more downward room than the OLEDs, so I expect that gap to get even wider later this year. Wait for the UK or VE shootout results and pick the best set for your personal needs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you guys think i should do?. I have about $5-6 Grand i could buy a TV. I want a 65 inch 4K Oled, but if that's too expensive maybe a Quantum Dot 4K LED. But in Canada that Samsung 65JS9500 costs $7299.00 which is a ridiculously overpriced. And the LG 4K Oled would probably cost near $8000 - $9000 which is absurd for a consumer.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Just wait

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
What do you guys think i should do?. I have about $5-6 Grand i could buy a TV. I want a 65 inch 4K Oled, but if that's too expensive maybe a Quantum Dot 4K LED. But in Canada that Samsung 65JS9500 costs $7299.00 which is a ridiculously overpriced. And the LG 4K Oled would probably cost near $8000 - $9000 which is absurd for a consumer.
So what Tv do you have now for main watching? If you have already a nice picture i will wait. I bought 10years ago Sony KDF60XS955 with original stand for $4500 and it was big back then even Comcast was not able to give me any HD channels :). I completely pass 1080p TV's it was simply just not much better and smart options are use less if you have mac mini next to TV and every BD player is smart as well. So 2 months ago I put Tv on CL and 2 weeks ago I sold it for $550. I want to get new TV but those days still good 1080p one cost not much less then very good one 4K (if you skip top models) so I went with SONY XBR65X850B for $2500 and picture is amazing a specially compare to old TV, great colors, 4K looks great and I think it is a good move very good TV for nice price until OLED or top line models 4K with full 4K will be available, so I can move this TV to game room and get later some high end TV for a better prices. It is all about money if they are not issue get the best Sony or Samsung have and few years later get another one or do what I did if your old TV is gone or pretty bad.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Wait how long?.
I would keep my eye on prices of Oled all the way through November.Im in the same boat and will own a 65 Oled perhaps before this year is up but not for todays prices.They will fall.

Reactions: Ducky909

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would keep my eye on prices of Oled all the way through November.Im in the same boat and will own a 65 Oled perhaps before this year is up but not for todays prices.They will fall.
So probably end of this year 4K Oled prices will drop?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think they're releasing a whole line of 4K Oleds around April/May, who knows what the prices will be. Hopefully they wont be too steep. The prices right now on a 65 inch 4K oled is almost 10 grand. That is absurd to the core for consumer electronics.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'm in the same boat after lots research my choices boil down to the 55EF9500 for $5k or the Samsung JS8500 for $3k. My budget is $3500 so the OLED has to come down in price alot and it looks like the EF9500 isn't coming out till the fall so it won't have time to drop in price this year and I'm definitely getting a new TV this year.

So it looks like the 55JS8500 is my best bet and it should be $2500 by the fall.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
So probably end of this year 4K Oled prices will drop?
Yes all prices eventually drop,especially if new models are coming out

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Street prices for the 65" OLED is down to $7.5K
Show me who's selling it for that low a price, and THEN show me their return policy. :p

Be careful out there guys. I can't stress this enough.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Show me who's selling it for that low a price, and THEN show me their return policy. :p

Be careful out there guys. I can't stress this enough.
Cleveland Plasma a forum sponsor has it in his signature for that price

Reactions: tgm1024
1 - 20 of 86 Posts