1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I suspect 4K from Fuji indeed will be useless crap, because I owned the X30 for almost two months, and its 1080p60 @ 36 Mbit/s is markedly worse than 1080p60 @ 28 Mbit/s from the 2010 Panasonic HDC-SD600. In fact, it is barely SD.

They can make frame size as large as they want, but if there are not enough distinct pixels and there is noise and moire than it still will look like crap.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Agreed. Fuji is still a long way to go on the video front. How could they do a proper 4K when even slow frame rate 1080p is already a stretch?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
That UK price is more than what the AX100 costs. I would have expected the lens be a constant f/2.8 for that price but if the picture quality is better than the AX100 than that's a different story. On the other hand, the rolling shutter might actually be more controlled on this camera than the AX100.

Seams like the promotional video is getting a bit of negativity.

Does it have built in ND filters? I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It probably has ND filters implemented like the G30 family (which it appears to be replacing). They don't mention what the frame rates are in that press release.

It has an internal CFast card which can record 4K at 300 mbps in what looks like H.264.

Overall it looks like good value as a camcorder. I'm not sure that it will be able to compete as a hybrid though, since it looks like the stills capabilities are really just frame grabs out of the video stream.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The new C300 Mark II was announced today as well: http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/About-Canon/News-Events/News-Press-Releases/announces-EOS-C300-Mark-II

Specs can be read here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=25867.0

Sounds like an impressive camera. Unfortunately $16000 is a tad out of our price range :)

It does 4k at 30p and HD at up to 120p, so presumably the XC-10 does the same.

Additional information regarding the codec used in these cameras can be read here: http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/About.../announces-XFAVC-video-format-4k-video-camera
4K is recorded as 10 bits and UHD as 8 bits. In the press releases they mention that the C300MII can record at bit rates up to 400 mbps, while the XC-10 is 300 mbps. That probably means that the XC-10 only does 8 bits, and not the 10 bit mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It probably has ND filters implemented like the G30 family (which it appears to be replacing). They don't mention what the frame rates are in that press release.

It has an internal CFast card which can record 4K at 300 mbps in what looks like H.264.

Overall it looks like good value as a camcorder. I'm not sure that it will be able to compete as a hybrid though, since it looks like the stills capabilities are really just frame grabs out of the video stream.
It's hard to think that the xc10 will replace the G30. It looks like a photocamera and not like a camcorder. I know I'm old but I prefer the classic camcorder form:crying:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It's hard to think that the xc10 will replace the G30. It looks like a photocamera and not like a camcorder. I know I'm old but I prefer the classic camcorder form:crying:

Other than the form change to look like a DSLR, it is pretty much a 4K version of the prosumer camcorder line in terms of what is actually in the camera. Competing products would be things like the AX100 and such.

I am curious about the viewfinder add on though. I'm guessing it is just a periscope sort of thing to look at the LCD, but at the same time the camera does not seem to have many physical controls, which means that it probably is largely controlled by a touch screen. If the viewfinder covers the LCD, that has to be pretty awkward.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Sony 4K RX2 should be due soon and should cost much less than the Canon XC10.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts