AVS Forum banner

19981 - 20000 of 24027 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aamsung 4K player set up

purchased this 4K player from Sams club (UBD-KM85C) and watched Now you see me 2 (ultra HD and HDR) on my HU8550 with the SEK3500 and was very disappointed with the PQ. Played with all settings but did not succeed in improving the Picture (looked dull and nothing like 4K).

Regular BR with my regular BR player look better than this 4k player! Is there anything in the settings that needs to be set/changed to bring life to this player? any particular HDMI on the sek that I need to use?

Any help from those who have this player will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Ok trying to read thru 667 pages is giving me a headache, I jus purchased the SEK-3500 OCB for my UN56HU9000 Oct 2014 US02 panel, Will be here today sometime, Other than installing correctly I went ahead and got the service remote and seems to be working on my Samsung edge phone so can someone help me thru this process or put my nose on the trail with the correct post to get me changed over and what to look for to be sure everything is right? Thanks Musician for the spreadsheet, Made my final decision on buying the ocb cuz it looked good as far as your research man, But would like this to go painlessly if I could, I even downloaded the install YouTube by Samsung, Jus not quite sure what I need to change with this service remote or how... I know this has been asked million times jus not really want'n to search 667 post and I'm sure things have changed since 2015 ocb's and the one I jus purchased like maybe I will have the latest FW updated installed on it and is there're any different features on it over the older models, Again thanks guy's for your time and help... BTW they still have not come down on price nor increased I paid $399 at Amazon, I also purchased the Samsung 4k blue ray player..
Yowzer Reaper!

In case you missed it, flip back a page to the following post of mine where I included my settings for both my HU9000+SEK and UBD-K8500 as well as a link to another helpful post to get you started which also may be of some use to @Amani...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1990706-2015-samsung-sek-3500u-za-evolution-kit-666.html#post48458137

As for the Service Menu app, deep six it as you won't need it. Originally guys used that to get the Samsung app to play HDR on the HU series but the latest firmware 1471 has solved that.

In case you missed them, below are some step-by-step instructions provided by my pal @sikclown along with a link to the Video you mentioned.

Have fun!

________________________________________​

How do I install the SEK-3500U Evo Kit Upgrade?

The SEK-3500u was a breeze to install but it didn't carry over my Picture settings so I had to re-input all of them (which can be a complete pain). I can completely understand the apprehension though. To make the directions easier I will list them as they went for me:

1) Checked for recent firmware on current set. No updates so went to step 2

2) Wrote down all my picture settings

3) Next I did a UHD Evolution Kit Backup.

Important: If you miss Step 3 your picture will appear upside-down at the conclusion of the upgrade.

4) When complete I powered everything down and unplugged my set from power. Wait until the red light on the TV goes out which can be accelerated by pressing the Power button on the remote.

5) Unplugged all my HDMI, usb, etc ports and then unplugged One Connect Cable from the TV and removed the old One Connect Box (if applicable).

6) Plugged all my devices into the SEK-3500u in the same place they were on my set (HDMI 1 to HDMI 1, etc) except on the Old One Connect ARC was on HDMI 3 and now it is on HDMI 4.

7) Plugged The New One Connect cable into the SEK-3500 and ran it to the back of my set; Paying careful attention to the Side Labled TV being plugged into the set

8) After making sure all connections were properly seated I plugged my set back into power

9) I put batteries into the new Remote and pressed power. I had a black screen for what felt like forever but just wait for the startup screen.

10) After the start up screen (FYI the music can be loud) I agreed to the conditions and let it read the UHD Evolution Kit Backup. In one of my installs I had to pair the remote to the TV. You will know if you need to or not immediately. If you have to, pair it by pointing it at the lower right hand corner of your set and then hold down both the Return/Exit Button and the Extra button. When succesful it will show the bluetooth pairing action on the left hand side of your screen

11) I then just followed all the prompts to finish the setup

12) After about 5 minutes of playing with the new interface I received a notice about a firmware update which I did and then the TV rebooted. On my second install it did the firmware update automatically during installation. It is ok if this happens. When it is done the TV will reboot and then start up exactly where you left off.

I hope this helps. I have successfully installed two SEK-3500s on two different sets doing exactly what I listed here.
And if you are a visual type of person, here is a YouTube video that will walk you through the process...

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
purchased this 4K player from Sams club (UBD-KM85C) and watched Now you see me 2 (ultra HD and HDR) on my HU8550 with the SEK3500 and was very disappointed with the PQ. Played with all settings but did not succeed in improving the Picture (looked dull and nothing like 4K).

Regular BR with my regular BR player look better than this 4k player! Is there anything in the settings that needs to be set/changed to bring life to this player? any particular HDMI on the sek that I need to use?

Any help from those who have this player will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
I know this is only your 3rd post but I am going to scold you anyway. :eek:

How the heck should we know if there is "anything in the settings that needs to be set/changed to bring life to this player" if you don't tell us what your settings are?

Here's mine....

Note: I have set BD Wise to ON in the player settings but under no circumstances would I personally recommend turning BD Wise ON in the TV settings. The reason I have it turned ON in the player is because of a little trick I discovered where the player will detect the applicable resolution of the disc and output the "native" resolution and allow your TV to upscale standard Blu-ray Discs and DVD's instead of sending everything at 3840x2160.

Make sure you have HDMI UHD Color turned ON in the TV settings for any 4K devices.

Reactions: rlb and TTma

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yowzer Reaper!

In case you missed it, flip back a page to the following post of mine where I included my settings for both my HU9000+SEK and UBD-K8500 as well as a link to another helpful post to get you started which also may be of some use to @Amani...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1990706-2015-samsung-sek-3500u-za-evolution-kit-666.html#post48458137

As for the Service Menu app, deep six it as you won't need it. Originally guys used that to get the Samsung app to play HDR on the HU series but the latest firmware 1471 has solved that.

In case you missed them, below are some step-by-step instructions provided by my pal @sikclown along with a link to the Video you mentioned.

Have fun!

________________________________________​

How do I install the SEK-3500U Evo Kit Upgrade?

And if you are a visual type of person, here is a YouTube video that will walk you through the process...

https://youtu.be/cJ-gXAWsPzI
Very cool man, As I downloaded the service remote I remembered that you can access it thru yur reg remote with a certain key sequence, Thank's a million brother, Hey off topic but thought I would share cuz I already have one but amazon has a great deal right now on these video packs I stumbled onto and only 8 left and only $60
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-CY-SUC10SH1-Video-Pack/dp/B00M3SMI3Y/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1480186118&sr=8-14&keywords=4k+uhd+movies
I already have one and it works great with my current setup so hope it carries over...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks! I was merely asking about the "ideal" player's setting (if such a thing exists) that works with the SEK-3500 and not the TV setting as I am not expecting anyone to know mine, so I'll take the "scolding" as your way of humor!

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Seems @plasmodeus already has who wrote the post below on November 16th.

I understand that since updating to 1471 the HDR badge appears for you but the Backlight and Contrast setting are not maxing out nor is the Amazon app updating to the latest version so I am wondering if @plasmodeus or anyone with an F9000 who has Firmware 1471 installed could share answers to the following with us:

1) What version of the Amazon app are you on?

2) Is the Backlight and Contrast maxing out when watching an HDR movie on Amazon?

Thanks everyone for the input; but "Duh", everything is working fine now.

I just went down and turned on the set and first thing it said is that it had updated to 1471 (which I thought I did manually several days ago). It had also updated the Amazon app and I'm getting HDR!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, I thought it was me going mad, i'm also seeing a lot of elevation in blacks as well, none of this is all the time but i occasionally see banding and blocky shadows where there used to be gradiant blacks, i recalibrated one of my inputs putting extra emphasis on getting the gamma profile nice and tight and it is a lot better on that input.
I personally think they changed how the smart led works, HDR stuff has looked a lot brighter since the update, but normal viewing has slightly suffered.
This is on a HU9000.
Glad I'm not the only one. I haven't noticed any banding like this before and now noticed it twice since I updated, the video I linked to and the intro to the show Westworld. Seems to only happen with black gradients. How were you able improve it?

Hope they fix this.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts

I just went down and turned on the set and first thing it said is that it had updated to 1471 (which I thought I did manually several days ago). It had also updated the Amazon app and I'm getting HDR!
You're welcome! Even us "youngsters" suffer from CRS every now and again...

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Very cool man, As I downloaded the service remote I remembered that you can access it thru yur reg remote with a certain key sequence, Thank's a million brother, Hey off topic but thought I would share cuz I already have one but amazon has a great deal right now on these video packs I stumbled onto and only 8 left and only $60
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-CY-SUC10SH1-Video-Pack/dp/B00M3SMI3Y/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1480186118&sr=8-14&keywords=4k+uhd+movies
I already have one and it works great with my current setup so hope it carries over...
You're very welcome.

That is an excellent price for the Video Pack. Lucky for me I got one thrown in when I bought my TV because check out the price on Amazon.ca in Canada when I clicked your link...

And how about this screaming deal -- $182.25 + $51.27 shipping for a refurbished unit no less!

Only a 60% positive approval rating. Hard to believe eh!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
While we are on the topic of Amazon, you won't want to miss this deal. Nine Ultra HD Blu-ray movies for $60 (regular $200)...

http://www.avsforum.com/x-men-9-disc-blu-ray-bundle-60-amazon-deal-day/

Not sure if it is available for us Canadians but if it is they will probably kill us on markup and shipping!
:p

Correction: These are Blu-ray discs, not Ultra HD Blu-ray movies.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I do have a question not asked I believe, Is the cable from the OCB to TV the same on both old and new 3500 ocb??? I ask cuz I have it run thru the wall and could change it but rather not cuz it would be a pain...

·
Registered
281 Posts

Hey, rlb! Glad to hear everything worked out.

Just wanted to quickly say that the 1471 firmware works whether or not the F9000 has the JS mod. I can verify this because I updated it before undoing the mod (long story). TV/movies/games still look incredible, so kudos to Samsung for continuing to update the SEK. I've been trying really hard to resist picking up a KS8000 at some of the prices I've seen, but no 3D and CES around the corner=be happy with what I have...for now! :D

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I do have a question not asked I believe, Is the cable from the OCB to TV the same on both old and new 3500 ocb??? I ask cuz I have it run thru the wall and could change it but rather not cuz it would be a pain...
Ha, ha! You are too funny! With 20,000 posts on this thread you don't think that question has been asked before? If I got a dollar for every time that question was asked...

Anyways the answer is you should be OK without changing it.

Have a good one!

Reactions: Reaper22

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ha, ha! You are too funny! With 20,000 posts on this thread you don't think that question has been asked before? If I got a dollar for every time that question was asked...

Anyways the answer is you should be OK without changing it.

Have a good one!
Ha Ha Ha not yet, Damit! thought I had an unanswered one, Well I do feel better that the 3500 is up and running but for some reason update is taken for ever, Stopped couple times, Prolly jus flooded out with people like me lol, I do wanna thank you guy's for make'n my night easier, Think'n bout buy'n Datacolor Spyder5ELITE but have to do more research first, Bought a bunch 4k movies at Best Buy yesterday on sale so need to play to see how great this OCB really is, Again thanks guy's, There should be an app to buy ya'll a beer for all the help lol...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ha Ha Ha not yet, Damit! thought I had an unanswered one, Well I do feel better that the 3500 is up and running but for some reason update is taken for ever, Stopped couple times, Prolly jus flooded out with people like me lol, I do wanna thank you guy's for make'n my night easier, Think'n bout buy'n Datacolor Spyder5ELITE but have to do more research first, Bought a bunch 4k movies at Best Buy yesterday on sale so need to play to see how great this OCB really is, Again thanks guy's, There should be an app to buy ya'll a beer for all the help lol...
Hi,

I am using an f9000 (f9090 EU model) in combination with an Sek-3500U. I am really disappointed with this setup, since I am oretty sure that the play back of 2160p with 60Hz does not work properly. The motion ist not smooth, it looks like just 30fps, despite the fact that the telly says 60Hz in the info-screen.

In contrast, 1080p is 60Hz ist super smooth! A very obvious difference.

Btw, I have to mention that I never use frame interpolation, since I donˋt like the artefacs generated by it.

To put it in a nutshell: Does anyone else believe that the "old" f9000 series is not able to display proper 60 frames per second?

Cheers,
Chris from Germany

Sorry for my poor English

·
Registered
214 Posts
Reactions: Musician

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi,

I am using an f9000 (f9090 EU model) in combination with an Sek-3500U. I am really disappointed with this setup, since I am oretty sure that the play back of 2160p with 60Hz does not work properly. The motion ist not smooth, it looks like just 30fps, despite the fact that the telly says 60Hz in the info-screen.

In contrast, 1080p is 60Hz ist super smooth! A very obvious difference.

Btw, I have to mention that I never use frame interpolation, since I donˋt like the artefacs generated by it.

To put it in a nutshell: Does anyone else believe that the "old" f9000 series is not able to display proper 60 frames per second?

Cheers,
Chris from Germany

Sorry for my poor English

Dang Chris, I Finally got this update 1471.2 to install last night set it and went to bet cuz it was gunna take like 2.5 hours, (longest update ever), I believe this UN65HU9000 has the best picture coming from cable box ever, even viewing from an angle it has improved and I'm using a combo of Musician and King Richard's settings, can't really imagine it getting any better when I calibrate it but they say it should be done.. I will know more on the UHD/HDR side Monday cuz I will have my 4k Blu-ray player..

Reactions: King Richard
19981 - 20000 of 24027 Posts