AVS Forum banner

20181 - 20200 of 24034 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone with the latest firmware 1471.2 YouTube app v300001 noticed that YouTube HDR content is no longer working?

Could someone please test and report back?

Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
Has anyone with the latest firmware 1471.2 YouTube app v300001 noticed that YouTube HDR content is no longer working?

Could someone please test and report back?

Thanks
I don't think HDR was every working on the SEK-3500, only UHD. I thought YouTube HDR required the improved second-generation V9 decoder, which the SEK does not have. Someone may have better knowledge.

·
Registered
17,092 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a question for everyone here and I know this is not a ps4 thread or xbox thread but I wanted to get everyones opionion on something.

So I have the sek with a un65hu9000fxha.
I have the 1471 update, have turned on hdr for all 4 hdmi ports.

Have the ps4 pro with ff15 and turned on hdr for ff15. Everything looks great except the sky, when i look at the sky i see kind of a downward curved banding of the colors. If I turn off hdr on ff15 it goes away but washes out some of the other colors on the screen. The TV does up the backlight to 20 and the contrast to 100 when I turn on hdr on the game, reverts to normal if I turn it off.

I have the xbox one s and play a 4k movie and it looks great all around.

So my question is does this sound like a problem with the game or that maybe the display is 8bit and having issues, but why only with the sky and nothing else or what lol?
Change the 4k display resolution to 3840x2160 YUV420 instead of 3840x2160 RGB. RGB makes it run in 12 bit color which is what's causing the banding. That should help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey dude, no need for the sarcasm. 19 posts to your name with most of these going on about helping you find a SEK-3500 when you have yet to provide your full model number versus 3327 posts of mine with almost as many "likes" providing help on this forum and especially the HU series and the SEK-3500 threads over the last couple of years. Kind of remarkable since we both joined around the same time huh?

But hey, what's new? Another guy who says "any help would be appreciated" but doesn't really mean it. After searching on AVS Forum yesterday I was doing some further looking around for you and found a guy over on another site from the Philippines who had one... but hey, you're right, my time is precious so see ya!
My sarcasm is merely a response to what seemed like a fairly rude comment from you in the first place. If more information was needed, it would have been good for you to simply say so. If I was out of line, I apologise but I am just trying to find an answer on what seems to be the most robust SEK-3500 thread out there.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I apologise but I am just trying to find an answer on what seems to be the most robust SEK-3500 thread out there.
The Definitive SEK-3500 thread out there.
Samsung tech come here to reference Musicians spreadsheet when you phone them up.
Mr Musician more than most helped put the D in Definitive, i don't know the in's and the out's of your beef with him but you need to understand it can get tiresome when people constantly question the information it has taken some of us nearly 18 months to acquire, yes some of us have been at this box for that long with no information from Samsung, some of it is just best guessing, but it is guessing by logical thinking reasonable ordinary people with other things going on in their life's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i don't know the in's and the out's of your beef with him but you need to understand it can get tiresome when people constantly question the information it has taken some of us nearly 18 months to acquire, yes some of us have been at this box for that long with no information from Samsung, some of it is just best guessing, but it is guessing by logical thinking reasonable ordinary people with other things going on in their life's.
There is no "beef". Again I appreciate the knowledge that people like Musician bring to this thread, I just didn't appreciate his response to my question(s) and admittedly wrote back rudely. Really the whole process of trying to just obtain the box has been pretty frustrating, I would much rather be talking about having it. Anyway, peace and love to all! :grin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 55HU8550 and thinking of getting the SEK3500. I currently use an IR extender to control a Samsung HDMI cable box. I have noticed that the SEK3500 does not have an IR OUT port to connect the extender. There is an EX-LINK plug but according to a Google search, that's for Samsung techs to tweak the settings (BS?) . Also, will the SEK3500 give me HDCP 2.2 and UHD Color=ON to ALL 4 HDMI ports?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Change the 4k display resolution to 3840x2160 YUV420 instead of 3840x2160 RGB. RGB makes it run in 12 bit color which is what's causing the banding. That should help.

Unfortunately this doesn't help. The best colours are achived only in regular 2160p RGB or YUV420. HDR in either mode screws up the colours. with very apparent grading / banding in colours. On Ps4 this is visible in the skies in of Final Fantasy XV and for instance the loading screens in "The last guardian" once again this proves that HDR is not for SEK users.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
My sarcasm is merely a response to what seemed like a fairly rude comment from you in the first place. If more information was needed, it would have been good for you to simply say so. If I was out of line, I apologise but I am just trying to find an answer on what seems to be the most robust SEK-3500 thread out there.
There is no "beef". Again I appreciate the knowledge that people like Musician bring to this thread, I just didn't appreciate his response to my question(s) and admittedly wrote back rudely. Really the whole process of trying to just obtain the box has been pretty frustrating, I would much rather be talking about having it. Anyway, peace and love to all! :grin:
Normally I wouldn't bother spending my precious time responding to posts like these but if asking somebody if they have used the Search this Thread feature or how they made out with the previous replies is rude well then that's your issue. We are not mind-readers nor should we have to go through all the members previous posts over the last few months to see what paths they have taken to resolving their issue(s).

In a past post you indicated your TV was a "PH". That is incorrect. PH is merely the country code Samsung uses to identify the URL for the Philippines website just like CA is used for Canada and US is used for the United States and UK is used for the United Kingdom and SG is used by Singapore and so on and so forth. It has nothing to do with your TV's model code or what SEK would be used for your TV.

For your info, using the 65" HU9000 as an example, your TV model would equate to a UA65HU9000RXXP whereas @wilflare, who I believe lives in Singapore (who I have helped immensely by the way with his recent question on how the SEK works), would be the UA65HU9000KXXS and guys living in Australia would own the UA65HU9000WXXY. Whereas areas of Europe TV's begin with UE and may not even share the same HU9000 digits like those in the US and Canada that begin with UN.
@wilflare mentioned he has ordered one from Europe and claimed guys in Australia were using it "without any issues" but I have no info on that nor would I be prepared to go that far. Lots of guys posting on here from Australia in the past who apparently are getting boxes from New Zealand. Never heard of a guy from down under ordering a box from Europe -- not to say they haven't, I just don't have any inside scope.

And just in case you weren't aware, Europe is a large area made up of many countries where not even neighbours living just miles apart would share the same TV models or SEK-3500's. If it was that simple we would all be buying the same Evolution Kits and Samsung wouldn't have to produce different models and different firmware depending on what country you live in.

Can't tell you how many times I have been able to help guys out and find them a box when they come on here and simply identify the full model code for the SEK-3500U they are looking for. Do you know yours?
:confused:

Not my fault that your country of the Philippines (and others) have let people down and not been able to point you in the right direction as to where you can get an SEK-3500 for your particular TV model.

If the Philippines Samsung Support area can't tell you what box is compatible with your TV, use the chat feature and save the log so you can escalate that accordingly. Keep records of all your calls and correspondence. I have no idea of what your country offers in the way of consumer protection (and their promise of future-proofing) but here in North America we have such things as the Better Business Bureau and government agencies called Consumer Affairs as well as small-claims courts we can take our concerns to. We also have local Samsung headquarters where we can escalate our support issues to a position called the Office of the President when we are getting the run-around from Samsung Support.

I have heard that Philippines has one of the rudest call centers in the world and often hang up on people so you'd thing the reply of mine to your post you keep referring to as "rude" reply would roll off you like water on a ducks back.
:D

Note to Self: Don't reply to posts where someone is looking for an SEK-3500 that include the words "increasingly desperate"... or "frustrated" in his most recent post.

Reactions: PJL99 and karps1987

·
Registered
125 Posts
I really do appreciate your replies to me @Musician! - it's not everyday that people take time and effort to craft a detailed reply to one's questions.

for Singapore/Malaysia sets, we would need the SEK-3500U/XS sets to have 100% compatibility with our TVs.
the US SEK-3500U/ZA and EU SEK-3500U/ZG would work (based on what I've read) but provide no OTA channel support.

if anyone is interested to read the Whirpool forums discussion on the SEK-3500U (the German model, ZG is mentioned along with AZ and NZ models)
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2467376

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I have an 55HU8550 and thinking of getting the SEK3500. I currently use an IR extender to control a Samsung HDMI cable box. I have noticed that the SEK3500 does not have an IR OUT port to connect the extender. There is an EX-LINK plug but according to a Google search, that's for Samsung techs to tweak the settings (BS?) . Also, will the SEK3500 give me HDCP 2.2 and UHD Color=ON to ALL 4 HDMI ports?
You are correct -- the SEK doesn't have a port for the extender and I really doubt the EX-LINK plug would do double duty.

Edit to the above: The SEK does have an IR port, I just find in my case I don't need to use it!

I have a cable box with a direct line of site between me and my HU9000+SEK and using the Samsung remote that I have setup in the Universal Remote Settings it gives me no issues from my seating position no matter where I point the remote... even behind me. But on your behalf I pulled my butt off the chair and went way, way, way, off-axis where it still worked until I left the room.

And now for your easy question, yes the SEK3500 will give you HDCP 2.2 and UHD Color=ON to ALL 4 HDMI ports as well as HDMI 2.0a required for HDR along with other Improvements, Benefits and Features identified in the coveted spreadsheet below.

Footnote: Contrary to the opinion of "The last guardian" or the "Final Fantasy" who apparently can prove the SEK doesn't provide HDR, that is just not true but if some guys have their game consoles setup incorrectly in conjunction with their TV picture settings they can experience issues. Many posts on here how to resolve game console issues including a bunch from @THEBIGWET who happens to own both the Xbox One S and the PS4. If it works without issues on some games and not on others it quite possibly could be related specifically to a particular game to which there are a number of threads to discuss game related issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are correct -- the SEK doesn't have a port for the extender and I really doubt the EX-LINK plug would do double duty.

I have a cable box with a direct line of site between me and my HU9000+SEK and using the Samsung remote that I have setup in the Universal Remote Settings it gives me no issues from my seating position no matter where I point the remote... even behind me. But on your behalf I pulled my butt off the chair and went way, way, way, acess where it still worked until I left the room.

Your best bet is probably purchasing a third party extender if your equipment is out of sight.

And now for you easy question, yes the SEK3500 will give you HDCP 2.2 and UHD Color=ON to ALL 4 HDMI ports as well as HDMI 2.0a required for HDR.

Footnote: Contrary to the opinion of "The last guardian" or the "Final Fantasy" who apparently can prove the SEK doesn't provide HDR that is just not true but if some guys have their game consoles setup incorrectly in conjunction with their picture settings they can experience issues. Many posts on here how to resolve game console issues including a bunch from @THEBIGWET who happens to own both the Xbox One S and the PS4. If it works without issues on some games and not on others it quite possibly could be related specifically to a particular game to which there are a number of threads to discuss game related issues.
Hey Musician, thanks a lot for the reply! I noticed that you have 2 of the HUxxxx series TVs, 2014 models with the 147x firmware. To my understanding, this is the dreaded Novatec chipset (FW 1xxx=Novatec, FW 2xxx=Golf, is what I understand) and not the "better" Golf chip. Mine also has the Novatec. I know that the SEK3500 will not give us a "true" 100% HDR due to display technology in our 2014 TVs but do you see any concerns with your HUxxxx TVs on displaying HDR? There is so much confusion on the web on whether the 2014 HU panels are 8-bit or 10-bit. Not sure anyone really knows the truth on this.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Footnote: Contrary to the opinion of "The last guardian" or the "Final Fantasy" who apparently can prove the SEK doesn't provide HDR that is just not true . . .
I figured once the internal Amazon app was updated to do HDR, all issues as to whether these sets "could or couldn't do HDR" were resolved. No? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I have made sure that the settings are YCbCr 3840X2160 and tv size set to 65. It would not let me even select rgb with hdr on, it forced the other option.

So still the same problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also want to bring up that with the SEK3500, you are also missing the optical out port. Darn it...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Musician, thanks a lot for the reply! I noticed that you have 2 of the HUxxxx series TVs, 2014 models with the 147x firmware. To my understanding, this is the dreaded Novatec chipset (FW 1xxx=Novatec, FW 2xxx=Golf, is what I understand) and not the "better" Golf chip. Mine also has the Novatec. I know that the SEK3500 will not give us a "true" 100% HDR due to display technology in our 2014 TVs but do you see any concerns with your HUxxxx TVs on displaying HDR? There is so much confusion on the web on whether the 2014 HU panels are 8-bit or 10-bit. Not sure anyone really knows the truth on this.
From what I've read ALL hu9000 sets are 10 bit panels.

I think the only thing that makes it a little short of full hdr is that it doesn't get bright enough to meet the "hdr standards", but still most people fine it's plenty bright.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
You're welcome. If you take a look I have just edited my post and included a copy of the coveted spreadsheet.

Nope, only my UN78HU9000 has an SEK-3500U hooked up to it. My UN40HU7000 is used in the bedroom and even though it has the Novatec chipset, without getting into the long drawn out conversation in the HU8550/HU9000 thread this only became an issue when guys started hooking up equipment to their sets. But even those of us with their flagship sets and the Golf chipset later learned that without the SEK-3500 the TV had some shortcoming when hooking up devices pushing out 4K60 4:4:4.

As for the Novatec your worries are gone once you hook up the SEK which upgrades your chipset and your ports regardless of what your TV was born with so it will receive the "H" chipset just like it's cousin the 2015 JS series.

As far as your comments regarding the SEK-3500 not giving us "true" HDR that is part of the quagmire perpetuated on the AVS threads and likewise for the 8-bit or 10-bit. Without repeating what I have already written on this thread (and others), Samsung has stated that with the SEK-3500 our HU sets are HDR capable. If this is something that interests you I would suggest you Search this Thread for my posts for the word "HDR-capable" and read away.

For example here's one...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1990706-2015-samsung-sek-3500u-za-evolution-kit-669.html#post48599617

If you read through the HDR-Capable thread you will see that Samsung even produced a training video saying the HU9000 was 10-bit but then the author of the article above went out of his way to say that they "they made a mistake". Huh!!!

Of course the 2016 flagship sets beat the 2015 sets which beat the 2014's just like the HU9000 edges out their siblings since it includes more features and dimming zones.

If you have the time you might want to read through this thread. I know it's big but if you start reading it once we go our hands on the UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player you will find some comparison pictures on this thread by a few guys who own both an HU and JS along with their commentary suggesting you can barely tell the difference. I try to stay out of the 8-bit / 10-bit discussion as of late but 8-bit on a good panel dithered to 10-bit can look every "bit" as good -- no pun intended.

Enjoy your set!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
From what I've read ALL hu9000 sets are 10 bit panels.

I think the only thing that makes it a little short of full hdr is that it doesn't get bright enough to meet the "hdr standards", but still most people fine it's plenty bright.
Hey, right on bro! A post of yours I can finally like. :D

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I also want to bring up that with the SEK3500, you are also missing the optical out port. Darn it...
Wrong-zoid!

They moved it to the right side of the box next to the USB ports. It's the one that is glowing red.
:D

20181 - 20200 of 24034 Posts