AVS Forum banner

20221 - 20240 of 24027 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
A lot of what you have described happens if you have BD wise turned on in the Tv or player or both. 3D needs to be in Movie mode or Cal mode because of the Gamma profile, and because of the ADE in standard mode.
Basically all picture processing should be turned off, Dynamic Contrast is one of the most aggressive processing features on the TV, people will argue that it is needed with HDR, but i could show you a scene in The ASM2 on UHD 4K where yes changing from low to medium makes the picture a lot brighter, but you can also see the black detail on Spider-mans suit dissolve away, and that is the correct word dissolve.
So do you recommend keeping dynamic contrast off or just on the low setting for HDR?

I was testing it out the other night with some SDR 4K gaming content and found even on "low" it kind of made the image look very artificial and had very noticeable black crush.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A lot of what you have described happens if you have BD wise turned on in the Tv or player or both. 3D needs to be in Movie mode or Cal mode because of the Gamma profile, and because of the ADE in standard mode.
Basically all picture processing should be turned off, Dynamic Contrast is one of the most aggressive processing features on the TV, people will argue that it is needed with HDR, but i could show you a scene in The ASM2 on UHD 4K where yes changing from low to medium makes the picture a lot brighter, but you can also see the black detail on Spider-mans suit dissolve away, and that is the correct word dissolve.
Thanks for the insight DaMacFunkin! I really appreciate it!! Yes as I stated I did have BDWise On in the K8500 but Off in the HU8550 and I will be playing with that this morning. I have a similar setup in my living room K8500 single HDMI thru the Yamaha RX-A3050 then to the OCB and JS9500 (single HDMI because I like to see volume changes on the screen) and I haven't had any problems in that set up. When I read your note last night I looked at the clock and realized I had been working on this for 9 hours straight! Funny how that happens..:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you have Deep Color on on your TV's settings? Knowing what settings and what TV you have would help get to the bottom of it. I've played both of those games and haven't had color banding with HDR turned on.
Deep colour is not a specified option in my tv set. i have been switching and changing some stuff to find out whether i could get rid of the banding colours on the PS4 HDR mode, but i couldn't.

Changing between "colour space native" and "colour space automatic" doesnt change the banding in the FFXV skies. As soon as it goes into HDR there seem to be much less colours to choose from. This setting makes the colours over-saturated. same goes for the ps4 setting. if i change from RGB to YUV420 it does help a little but the image quality is much better without HDR enabled.

Can someone who doesnt seem to have this issue tell me his settings in PS4 and SEK-3500?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Digital foundry agrees on this b.t.w.

That said, users of Samsung's lower-end 8-bit panels - essentially the entire KU series - should probably steer clear of HDR altogether. There's no dynamic backlight support, no 10-bit support, and many of the screens don't support the wider colour gamut. The end result is an incorrect presentation that isn't a patch on a well calibrated SDR image. On the flipside, if you've got a KS screen, these settings tweaks are the way to go.

(let alone a 8-bit 2014 panel most of us have)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the insight DaMacFunkin! I really appreciate it!! Yes as I stated I did have BDWise On in the K8500 but Off in the HU8550 and I will be playing with that this morning. I have a similar setup in my living room K8500 single HDMI thru the Yamaha RX-A3050 then to the OCB and JS9500 (single HDMI because I like to see volume changes on the screen) and I haven't had any problems in that set up. When I read your note last night I looked at the clock and realized I had been working on this for 9 hours straight! Funny how that happens..:)
Tried turning BDWise off in K8500 and still off in HU8550 but no difference noted with the issues I am having.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Deep colour is not a specified option in my tv set. i have been switching and changing some stuff to find out whether i could get rid of the banding colours on the PS4 HDR mode, but i couldn't.

Changing between "colour space native" and "colour space automatic" doesnt change the banding in the FFXV skies. As soon as it goes into HDR there seem to be much less colours to choose from. This setting makes the colours over-saturated. same goes for the ps4 setting. if i change from RGB to YUV420 it does help a little but the image quality is much better without HDR enabled.

Can someone who doesnt seem to have this issue tell me his settings in PS4 and SEK-3500?
Did you happen to try @sinbound 's suggestion six posts before your quoted post above? Seems to have cleared things up for him...

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
HU + SEK = HDR

So you are trying to task someone into to posting all their settings for both their TV and PS4? Nice try! You could always post yours.
:)

Digital foundry agrees on this b.t.w.

That said, users of Samsung's lower-end 8-bit panels - essentially the entire KU series - should probably steer clear of HDR altogether. There's no dynamic backlight support, no 10-bit support, and many of the screens don't support the wider colour gamut. The end result is an incorrect presentation that isn't a patch on a well calibrated SDR image. On the flipside, if you've got a KS screen, these settings tweaks are the way to go.

(let alone a 8-bit 2014 panel most of us have)
First off if you believe our HU+SEK are incapable of displaying HDR, it makes me wonder then why you are wanting guys to post all their settings in your quest to achieve just that. Makes no sense at all.

Even if our panels are 8-bit here are just a couple of quotes from an article posted on AVS Forum...

An HDR display with an 8-bit panel and good dithering algorithms can certainly display HDR content in a way that looks better than the best SDR presentation.
One of models most often cited in that heated discussion about HDR-capable displays is the Samsung HU9000, the 2014 flagship UHDTV with no HDR capabilities when it was introduced. Those capabilities were added when owners upgraded the outboard One Connect Evolution Kit to the 2015 SEK-3500.
Samsung themselves have confirmed this not to mention the hundreds of posts on this thread as well as others such as the countless posts on the HDR Content thread.

Are we all just delusional @Louike and it's all just a figment of our imaginations?
:confused:

Not sure how motivated guys on this thread are going to be going out of their way helping you out when you have been slamming the HDR capabilities of the HU+SEK for quite some time now like this reply of yours to @djbboy in October...

I agree 100% just a completly useless HDR implementation. whites turn grey, reds get insane saturation. lets face it, we dont have HDR capable tv's!!!! we have 8-bit edge lit lcd tv's from the late 2013 / 2014 era.
:rolleyes:

Ironically his last post on this thread was a reply to @THEBIGWET promising to post his settings and then not a peep. Is it so hard for the guys seeking help on AVS to post their settings?

Warning: Another "frustrated" member!

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I have been having some serious problems with my HU8550 w/SEK 3500 which have been complicated by also having the UBD k8500 develop an issue at the same time where it lost the ability to read 4K or 3D disks but would play STD Bluray disks. I just got the UBD K8500 back from Samsung (I believe they replaced the laser assy) and have been trying to check it out. After four hours of disk changes ie 4k to 3D to STD Bluray in different order and repeat I made the following observations.

1. When first turning on the tv it often changes the picture mode and settings. It almost always changes the picture mode to Entertainment? when it used to be Movie sometimes keeping the same settings and sometimes not. When I click on that setting it shows Dynamic checked and highlighted. If Movie mode is then selected settings go back to normal. (Note: I use King Richard’s settings for almost all settings). More on this a little later…
2. Both 4K and 3D disks change the Backlight to 20 and Contrast to 100 as is normal. I didn’t realize 3D did it also.

3. If I have been watching a 3D movie and replace it with a STD Bluray disk the screen goes black. If I then turn TV off and back on it starts flickering. I must turn the player and tv off for 30 sec or so and then back on to get a normal screen (Smart TV) to play the STD BR disk. During this maneuver the picture mode stays in movie mode but all settings go to zero. I must select movie mode again and the settings come back to normal.

4. If I turned on the tv and it happens to be in that (see above) Move mode but all settings zero and try to play a 3D disk it will only play in 2D until Movie mode is reselected.

5. While playing STD Bluray I was getting jagged edged diagonal artifacts in the brighter sections of the screen and the screen is split down the middle with one side brighter than the other again only in the lighter or brighter parts of the screen. After pausing to capture one of these events and playing with one setting at a time I found that if I changed the Dynamic Contrast (Advanced Settings) to off these artifacts went away.

I repeated each of these scenarios several times and the results are consistent.

I have been experiencing most of these problems for about 6 weeks but as I mentioned I also had a bad 4K player so I was handicapped in trying to properly sort through the different problems. I also tried 3 different hdmi cables. I am on firmware 1471, use Monoprice certified cables and have been connected via 2 cable method. I have tried unplugging the TV overnight, have done the hard reset via support/self-diagnostics/reset and oh yeah, I have BDWise “on” in the player and “off” in the tv!:)

Now I don’t think this behavior is normal and sure could use some advice as to what to try next. I’d hate to have to remember to check the Picture settings every time I turn on the TV and all the other workarounds I mentioned but I guess I at least know what to do now when these problems do arise. I tried to use that Request Support function on the TV but have not received a call back. I tried calling Samsung Support but they somehow knew I had requested support via the tv screens and told me to wait another 48 hrs, that was three days ago? :(
Hey Rick, I don't have answers for all your issues but number 2 and 3 may be impacting your other issues.

2) There is no way that 3D should exhibit the signs of HDR. But, in case guys aren't aware of this, our TVs allow us to have different settings for both 2D and 3D so perhaps you need to go in while playing a 3D movie (or even simulated 3D) and adjust the settings for that mode.

3) Most often when the screen is doing weird things such as going black it is a sign of HDMI cables not being up to the task when playing 4K content... but in your case this sounds very unusual since you are only going back and forth between standard 1080p 2D Blu-rays and a 1080p 3D Blu-Rays.

On the other hand when the player is displaying the Main Menu it is displayed at 4K60 4:4:4 which uses the entire 17.8 Gbps so maybe it is your cables. Most guys on these threads recommend Certified cables from Monoprice.

So all the picture settings are going to 0? Which ones? Certainly not Backlight to 0 or you'd see nothing! Sounds like a hosed SEK-3500 or UBD-K8500.

If it were me I would try doing a full reset on both...

SEK-3500: Menu >> Support >> Self Diagnosis >> Reset

UBD-K8500: Settings >> Support >> Reset or try doing a hard reset of the player as shown below.

Good luck!

________________________________________​

How do I reset the UBD-K8500?

With no disc inserted and the player on Press the STOP button on the player for more than 5 seconds. It should restart and all settings will be reset.

Details: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=573263&modelname=UBD-K8500&modelcode=UBD-K8500/ZA

Reactions: rickcleveland

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tried turning BDWise off in K8500 and still off in HU8550 but no difference noted with the issues I am having.
Update on my issues. Finally got in touch with Samsung Support and they are sending me a replacement SEK-3500U/ZA to arrive in 5 to 8 days! I have heard some sad remarks on Samsung Customer service on this and other threads but I have to say that so far that has not been my experience. I have had them repair my UBD-K8500 with a very quick turnaround and now they are replacing this SEK 3500 with no hassles at all!! :D

Reactions: rlb and Musician

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Update on my issues. Finally got in touch with Samsung Support and they are sending me a replacement SEK-3500U/ZA to arrive in 5 to 8 days! I have heard some sad remarks on Samsung Customer service on this and other threads but I have to say that so far that has not been my experience. I have had them repair my UBD-K8500 with a very quick turnaround and now they are replacing this SEK 3500 with no hassles at all!! :D
Good to hear that your experience was positive. One poor guy on the UBD-K8500 thread had to pay for his defective unit to be returned to Samsung for warranty work and then, believe it or not, they sent him a broken refurb!
:eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good to hear that your experience was positive. One poor guy on the UBD-K8500 thread had to pay for his defective unit to be returned to Samsung for warranty work and then, believe it or not, they sent him a broken refurb!
:eek:
I got confused when I dealt with them to get my K8500 repaired. They sent me an email with the details of shipping it to them and I thought I had to pay for shipping. I immediately took the unit to UPS, paid them to package it, paid insurance and shipping. When I got home I had a second email with a shipping label for prepaid shipping. MY bad! When they received it they repaired it and shipped it back two day shipping on the same day. I had it two days later! I guess sometimes you get to pay for being so dam impatient...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I got confused when I dealt with them to get my K8500 repaired. They sent me an email with the details of shipping it to them and I thought I had to pay for shipping. I immediately took the unit to UPS, paid them to package it, paid insurance and shipping. When I got home I had a second email with a shipping label for prepaid shipping. MY bad! When they received it they repaired it and shipped it back two day shipping on the same day. I had it two days later! I guess sometimes you get to pay for being so dam impatient...:rolleyes:
Hey rick, not to critique your rolling eyes post but at least they didn't send you a refurb that didn't work. Well at least as far as we know considering all the troubles you are having with your "repaired" K8500 playing standard 2D and 3D blu-rays in it!

I can assure you if he received a second email with a shipping label he certainly would have mentioned it before writing to Samsung's Office of the President considering the time it took them to receive it and ship him back the refurb that didn't work.

By the way, no thank you or Like on my earlier post offering help to you earlier today?
:D

Reactions: rickcleveland

·
Registered
125 Posts
got my SEK-3500U/ZG from Amazon France today

Some basic info
- 65HU9000KXXS
- SEK-3500U/ZG (Changed the Smart Hub region to USA to use Amazon Video)
- Firmware Version 1471
- Using the old settings from my previous OCB - Will look at the recommended settings in this thread tomorrow (turned off BD Wise, much better) many thanks @Musician @King Richard

What went well:
- Successful set-up with my 65HU9000KXXS
- HDR is detected in Amazon Video (Man in High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle) and PS4 (inFamous First Light)
- SEK-3500U/ZG works with all my HDMI devices (including my StarHub set-up box, consoles and more)
- HDMI 5.1 Passthrough works with my Samsung HW-7500 Curved Soundbar (various sources show the "Dolby Digital" option under Menu > Sounds > Additional Settings)

CAVEATS (those who are looking to import one, please note): @VBlaze7, do note!
- No FTA/OTA Channels (only detected one but this was also the case with my earlier OCB, not a problem as I have my own set-up box)
- New on-screen navigation does not feel as intuitive as the previous on-screen menu navigation
- Netflix HDR still not working (crossing fingers with the rest of you for a firmware update)
- YouTube HDR not working (just saw an earlier post on this as well, hope it returns)

Overall, really satisfied with this upgrade - still got some exploring to do... but it's 4:22AM now lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey everyone, I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or just ask in here.

I'm debating on getting the SEK-3500u for my Samsung 65inch hu8700 or a Hisense HDR tv. They cost about the same price.

I bought the un65hu8700 in late 2014 but now I'm looking to enjoy HDR. I'm primarily going to be gaming (PS4 Pro for FFXV + The Last Guardian and a Nice PC) and watching Netflix, HBO, Amazon, ect.

The SEK-3500u is $400 and bestbuy has a Hisense 50inch HDR tv for $450 ($404 open box)
This one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-50-class-49-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4982500.p?skuId=4982500

I'm looking for the option that will yield the best picture quality.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
got my SEK-3500U/ZG from Amazon France today

Some basic info
- 65HU9000KXXS
- SEK-3500U/ZG (Changed the Smart Hub region to USA to use Amazon Video)
- Firmware Version 1471
- Using the old settings from my previous OCB - Will look at the recommended settings in this thread tomorrow (turned off BD Wise, much better) many thanks @Musician @King Richard

What went well:
- Successful set-up with my 65HU9000KXXS
- HDR is detected in Amazon Video (Man in High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle) and PS4 (inFamous First Light)
- SEK-3500U/ZG works with all my HDMI devices (including my StarHub set-up box, consoles and more)
- HDMI 5.1 Passthrough works with my Samsung HW-7500 Curved Soundbar (various sources show the "Dolby Digital" option under Menu > Sounds > Additional Settings)

CAVEATS (those who are looking to import one, please note): @VBlaze7, do note!
- No FTA/OTA Channels (only detected one but this was also the case with my earlier OCB, not a problem as I have my own set-up box)
- New on-screen navigation does not feel as intuitive as the previous on-screen menu navigation
- Netflix HDR still not working (crossing fingers with the rest of you for a firmware update)
- YouTube HDR not working (just saw an earlier post on this as well, hope it returns)

Overall, really satisfied with this upgrade - still got some exploring to do... but it's 4:22AM now lol
Glad to see you are up and running on your imported SEK-3500. Sure hope you plan on sticking around this thread to coach the next HU owner who can't find an SEK in their home country!
:D

With regards to your caveat pertaining to YouTube HDR, it never did nor will they ever play in HDR on our HU+SEK sets without the addition of a device that includes an updated VP9 profile 2 chipset. Just like 4K YouTube required the VP9 chipset (which our SEK provides), HDR YouTube requires an updated chipset called the VP9 profile 2 that never existed until the 2016 models.

I too saw @cityhunterx post the other day but he was a little ambiguous. First he asked us to try the HDR videos but he never bothered to tell us which one he wanted us to try! There are literally thousands of videos on YouTube containing the work "HDR" but only a rare hand-full actually are since it was only recently introduced on November 7th according to the following article...

YouTube Rolls Out Support for HDR Videos

There is a HDR Launch Playlist containing the first true 4K HDR YouTube videos but just remember, without a device such as the Chromecast Ultra plugged into our SEKs they will only be displayed in 4K SDR as evidenced by the Backlight and Contrast not maxing out.

Have fun with your new toys!

Ho, ho, ho!

Reactions: wilflare

·
Registered
4,343 Posts

I'm debating on getting the SEK-3500u for my Samsung 65inch hu8700 or a Hisense HDR tv. They cost about the same price.

I bought the un65hu8700 in late 2014 but now I'm looking to enjoy HDR. I'm primarily going to be gaming (PS4 Pro for FFXV + The Last Guardian and a Nice PC) and watching Netflix, HBO, Amazon, ect.

The SEK-3500u is $400 and bestbuy has a Hisense 50inch HDR tv for $450 ($404 open box)
This one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-50-class-49-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4982500.p?skuId=4982500

Thanks
Your probably asking on the wrong thread since as far as I know none of us own both the Hisense H8C and the HU8700 + SEK to compare against one another in a side-by-side shootout!

With regards to the page you provided a link to, the specs are short on details. For example, it makes no mention if it provides HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2.0a and on how many ports or whether or not it supports 4K60 4:4:4 10 bit or whatnot so you might want to do your homework first.

Here is a thread for the set you are interested in but with only 9 posts, not a lot to go on...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2533969-official-hisense-50h8c-owners-thread.html

...or perhaps this thread might be a better place to start with 997 posts...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2461002-2016-hisense-h8c-h5c-h4c-h3c-entry-level-series.html

Something else I would suggest is to find an up to date TV Buying Guide like this one and go from there...

4K Ultra HD Buying Guide

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

Thanks
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8c

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/hu8550

HU8550 with SEK-3500 is more like a JS8500

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/js8500

I wouldn't get a smaller tv with less features and poorer quality when I could get the SEK-3500. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
With regards to the page you provided a link to, the specs are short on details. For example, it makes no mention if it provides HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2.0a and on how many ports or whether or not it supports 4K60 4:4:4 10 bit or whatnot so you might want to do your homework first.

Here is a thread for the set you are interested in but with only 9 posts, not a lot to go on...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2533969-official-hisense-50h8c-owners-thread.html

...or perhaps this thread might be a better place to start with 997 posts...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2461002-2016-hisense-h8c-h5c-h4c-h3c-entry-level-series.html
Thanks for the tips, this is a really a good place to start. I definitely need to do my homework lol.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8c

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/hu8550

HU8550 with SEK-3500 is more like a JS8500

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/js8500

I wouldn't get a smaller tv with less features and poorer quality when I could get the SEK-3500. Just my opinion.
Awesome, thanks for the opinion! Only thing is I have the HU8700 but I guess that's similar to the JS8700?

Also, seems like the trade up to zone backlighting vs edge backlighting won't be enough to make up for the quality in the panel overall?

·
Registered
37 Posts
2) There is no way that 3D should exhibit the signs of HDR. But, in case guys aren't aware of this, our TVs allow us to have different settings for both 2D and 3D so perhaps you need to go in while playing a 3D movie (or even simulated 3D) and adjust the settings for that mode.

Well since I have never seen 3D settings ever being mentioned in this thread I just assumed that these were being changed just like they are changed for 4k HDR. Never thought to look before when everything was working fine.

3) Most often when the screen is doing weird things such as going black it is a sign of HDMI cables not being up to the task when playing 4K content... but in your case this sounds very unusual since you are only going back and forth between standard 1080p 2D Blu-rays and a 1080p 3D Blu-Rays.

On the other hand when the player is displaying the Main Menu it is displayed at 4K60 4:4:4 which uses the entire 17.8 Gbps so maybe it is your cables. Most guys on these threads recommend Certified cables from Monoprice.

Yes I need to add a few items to my equipment list! I do use Monoprice Certified cables between K8500 and HU8550 and in my living room setup. I could play 4K HDR content after fixing the picture settings and it looked great so I didn’t bother to mention it.

So all the picture settings are going to 0? Which ones? Certainly not Backlight to 0 or you'd see nothing! Sounds like a hosed SEK-3500 or UBD-K8500.

I took a pic of the picture setting screen just after I turned the set on and started a STD Bluray movie but before I fixed it. You can see a very nasty looking War of the Worlds in the background. If I select picture setting and reselect Movie mode all settings go to correct value and the movie will look normal.

If it were me I would try doing a full reset on both...

I did a reset on the TV but no difference in behavior.. I am pretty much convinced that the SEK has serious problems. I guess the good news is Samsung is sending a replacement which should be here in 5 to 8 days. They said they did not even want to old on returned.

Well here goes just remember I am a newbie and just learning to post here!!:D

Attachments

Reactions: Musician

·
Registered
882 Posts
...With regards to your caveat pertaining to YouTube HDR, it never did nor will they ever play in HDR on our HU+SEK sets without the addition of a device that includes an updated VP9 profile 2 chipset. Just like 4K YouTube required the VP9 chipset (which our SEK provides), HDR YouTube requires an updated chipset called the VP9 profile 2 that never existed until the 2016 models.

Thanks for expanding on the point I made in my prior answer. It gives a fuller explanation than I provided. I now have another reason to get the Chromecast Ultra, although not yet quite enough to actually buy one.

20221 - 20240 of 24027 Posts