AVS Forum banner

20401 - 20420 of 24027 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay, I had sometime to try something out concerning updating.
After so much reading and seeing some people have a 1471 update and I have 1180 or 81. I unhooked the 3500 and ran update for the tv. No updates. Put the 3500 back on and ran an update. My current version is 1455, the new version is 1471. Auto update is set to on but not updating. I ran update now and tv says, go to hell, lol, update failed. Any clue before I call Samsung?

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Okay, I had sometime to try something out concerning updating.
After so much reading and seeing some people have a 1471 update and I have 1180 or 81. I unhooked the 3500 and ran update for the tv. No updates. Put the 3500 back on and ran an update. My current version is 1455, the new version is 1471. Auto update is set to on but not updating. I ran update now and tv says, go to hell, lol, update failed. Any clue before I call Samsung?
If you got the patience, keep waiting.
Some Members have had 1471.2 load into their sets, others are still waiting with their 1470.4 since October.
Not a patient man - 1471.2 downloaded, and installed from the Korean site. Basically, 1471.2 gives you the Amazon HDR.
NA sites still on the 1470.4. Korean site support seems to be fading altogether, is now showing only dates, and no FW #, and the odd one still doing FW # and date. It appears 2014 and 2015 support seems to be waning! Speaking of which, only 11 days left for Samsung to push through the BIG FW update!

Reactions: King Richard

·
Registered
900 Posts
Umm, ok. You missed the point.

The point is why should some of us have to lose tv sound in order to enjoy the video upgrades of the SEK? Samsung should acknowledge the problem (which has been documented for at least a year) and come up with a fix. Just because we have an AVR with surround doesn't mean we should have to use it all the time.
Sorry if i am late to this conversation, but have you taken before and after screenshots of your ASM to see if anything is different such as sound board model numbers or woofer checksums?
If that is the case you could copy all the settings from your original speaker configuration into the SEK.

·
Registered
125 Posts
and another thought - are firmware updates region-locked or rolled out on a region basis?
in other words, would a ZA set get it earlier than a ZG/XS set or something? or is it universal since it's all practically the same hardware

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reactions: Mike12345678

·
Registered
4 Posts
Samsung F9000 8 or 10 bit panel

Hi All,

I've attempted to find the answer to this question myself on the tvserviceparts website but am still not 100% sure.

I have the Samsung UE55F9000STXXU TV, Version No 08. Does anyone know if this is an 8bit or 10bit panel.

I suspect it's 8bit but cant be sure. Looking to buy the SEK-3500 in the hope of getting HDR but sounds like I wont should I have an 8 bit panel.

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Some Members have had 1471.2 load into their sets, others are still waiting with their 1470.4 since October.
Not a patient man - 1471.2 downloaded, and installed from the Korean site. Basically, 1471.2 gives you the Amazon HDR.
NA sites still on the 1470.4. Korean site support seems to be fading altogether, is now showing only dates, and no FW #, and the odd one still doing FW # and date. It appears 2014 and 2015 support seems to be waning! Speaking of which, only 11 days left for Samsung to push through the BIG FW update!
I can't wait to get Dolby Vision and Quantum Dots on my HU9000 with the BIG FW update! :eek:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
and another thought - are firmware updates region-locked or rolled out on a region basis?
in other words, would a ZA set get it earlier than a ZG/XS set or something? or is it universal since it's all practically the same hardware
Firmware updates are not region locked per se, but they are locked by type of set. For example, a set in USA could use the firmware update meant for a korean set. Also a ZG set can use the firmware meant for a XS set. But the ZG set can;t use the firmware for a ZA set and vice versa. The firmware is not universal in this respect.

Reactions: wilflare

·
Registered
125 Posts
Firmware updates are not region locked per se, but they are locked by type of set. For example, a set in USA could use the firmware update meant for a korean set. Also a ZG set can use the firmware meant for a XS set. But the ZG set can;t use the firmware for a ZA set and vice versa. The firmware is not universal in this respect.
thanks. went ahead and updated 1480.4 on my ZG set! works fine - but no Netflix HDR yet

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is there any way to rollback to an older driver? Since I've updated to 1471 I've gotten some pretty obvious banding, it's a bummer. At first I thought it was the videos I was watching but I've noticed it too many times since the update to not be a new problem for my set.

It's very obvious in the intro to Westworld on my set, for example.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Chiming in from a JS9000 perspective, the 1480 update was pushed last night to my set here in Australia. Contrast/blacks seem to be improved (no numbers to back this up, purely initial thoughts), but no major changes that I can see (ie. Netflix HDR).

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Is there any way to rollback to an older driver? Since I've updated to 1471 I've gotten some pretty obvious banding, it's a bummer. At first I thought it was the videos I was watching but I've noticed it too many times since the update to not be a new problem for my set.

It's very obvious in the intro to Westworld on my set, for example.
Nope, there is no way to roll back drivers.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
just a question (or two)

(1) Do you guys switch off all the ECO options for your TV (HU9000)? Or would they affect image quality?
(2) Am I the only one getting some measure of lag (it takes some time to for the TV to show the "menu" after boot)
1) My advice is to always turn both of the Eco options Off found under Menu >> System >> Eco Solutions. In my opinion neither of these are ideal...

Energy Savings: Reduce the power consumption by adusting the screen brightness

Eco Sensor: Automatically optimizes TV screen brightness in response to the room lighting

2) Depends on your definition of slow. For me that's my wife trying on clothing and shoes!!! But yeah, it takes some time for the TV to initialize before you can go into the settings 'menu' but for me that is a rare event (except when answering questions on AVS Forum).

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
465 Posts

Agree 100% with you guys. Setting the Audio Format to PCM will only output 2 channel stereo via the SEK-3500.

But just a small point of clarification and so not to confuse anyone. Gulp. :eek: You might have misspoke in your last paragraph and probably meant to say Audio Format when referencing the PCM option.
As a matter of fact the HDMI Audio Format can be set to either Bitstream or PCM and you can still achieve Dolby Digital 5.1
:nerd:

To summarize...

Audio Format

The setting found under Menu >> Sound >> Additional Settings >> Audio Format must be set to Dolby Digital in order to enjoy 5.1 sound otherwise, as we all agree, setting it to PCM will only output 2 channel stereo.

HDMI Audio Format

However the Menu >> Sound >> Additional Settings >> HDMI Audio Format can be set to either Bitstream or PCM and Dolby Digital is still available in the aforementioned Audio Format setting for the SEK-3500's built in Netflix app as depicted in the attached thumbnails... but please read the important note below because this is not always the case for all our devices.

Summary

I have confirmed the above using the Netflix app on the SEK-3500 as well as the Netflix app on my Arris PVR and they both produce the same results.

See the attached thumbnails showing that with either Bitstream or PCM selected in the HDMI Audio Format setting, the Audio Format setting allows us to select Dolby Digital 5.1 when playing content encoded in this format. This is further confirmed in the thumbnail pictures of my AVR indicating that it is processing Dolby Digital as well as the close-up showing that it is outputting 5.1 audio.

Just to add to that, I have also used a 5.1 demo in the past to perform a sound-check to ensure that each channel is receiving discrete 5.1 audio.

Footnote: The test material I used to verify the above was the Netflix Original Daredevil, Season 1, Episode 1 that indicates 5.1 on the splash page (as well as some broadcast television encoded in both Stereo and DD 5.1). Just to leave no stone unturned, I also tested the Netflix movie Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings from 2001 which does not indicate 5.1 and sure enough the SEK-3500's Audio Format automatically switched to PCM and returned to Dolby Digital on it's own the next time I played an applicable show. Likewise for broadcast television.

Important: There is always an exception to the rule and that is why we must each experiment with our own equipment and settings. Although the HDMI Audio Format can be set to either Bitstream or PCM for the Netflix app on the SEK-3500 or for the apps and cable channels on my Arris PVR Set Top Box hooked up directly to the SEK-3500, I found that in the case of my Samsung Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (UBD-K8500) the HDMI Audio Format must be set to Bitstream otherwise the Dolby Digital option is greyed out when it is set to PCM.

One excellent reason to always set HDMI Audio Format to Bitstream like most of us do. :D

Sorry to belabor this. But, I just got a Roku Premier +. I have a Denon AVR-3808ci. The SEK is connects via SPIDF. I cannot get the SEK to allow me to set DD on the HDMI port (3) it is grayed out. I played Man In The High Castle from Amazon on the TV App and it shows DD on the receiver but when I play it from the ROKU it comes on as DTS Neo6. I have included pictures of the ROKU sound settings screen and the SEK for that HDMI input. Thanks in advance for any comment of suggestions.

Merry Christmas to Everyone

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nope, there is no way to roll back drivers.
I figured but was hoping someone had found a way. :( I hope it's fixed with the next update.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sorry to belabor this. But, I just got a Roku Premier +. I have a Denon AVR-3808ci. The SEK is connects via SPIDF. I cannot get the SEK to allow me to set DD on the HDMI port (3) it is grayed out. I played Man In The High Castle from Amazon on the TV App and it shows DD on the receiver but when I play it from the ROKU it comes on as DTS Neo6. I have included pictures of the ROKU sound settings screen and the SEK for that HDMI input. Thanks in advance for any comment of suggestions.

Not sure i follow this, but you are saying you play the roku into the SEK via HDMI set to Dolby Digital.
You then connect the SEK to the AVR via SPDIF?
Do you not need to set your output to spdif in speakers on the SEK?
Is it not easier for your AVY to connect via ARC?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts

Well Merry Christmas right back at you and thanks for including lots of pictures which always help diagnose issues.

Unfortunately I don't own a Roku, don't subscribe to Amazon, nor do I use the SPDIF Optical Output so I am definitely not the best person to ask.

Any Roku owners using the optical out on the SEK on here that can help @CPTuell out?

Reactions: CPTuell

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not sure i follow this, but you are saying you play the roku into the SEK via HDMI set to Dolby Digital.
You then connect the SEK to the AVR via SPDIF?
Do you not need to set your output to spdif in speakers on the SEK?
Is it not easier for your AVY to connect via ARC?
Yes to Q 1 and 2.
My receiver does not have ARC. It only has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out. I had the K8500 UHD BR Player connected to the same SEK input and it worked fine. But I could only get HDR via Amazon. So I'm trying out the ROKU, it does both Amazon and Netflix HDR. Plus the K8500 does not have the HBO Now app and it tends to lock up occasionally, requiring a power plug pull to fix.. I'm just trying to get most everything I watch working from one device. The Built in TV App only gets Amazon HDR.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Will you buy Oppo UDP 203?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, I will wait but any idea why I keep getting "update failed" while trying to update?

20401 - 20420 of 24027 Posts