·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Reactions: King Richard

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Still waiting for the big one.
What we got with 1481, (Whenever it sees fit to show up?) is the little big one. The BIG one, I'm afraid , will never be.
Samsung wants us to move on to a new 2017 set, but, despite not actually watching that many 3D Movies - sorry Samsung, I'm hanging on to all of my 3D sets.

Re a comment made a while back about all my sets - NOTE: 5 of them are listed per the wife. I have 1 !
A couple are LG 55LHXs from way back, still going strong, and one looking excellent after the last calibration done on it.
Wife likes to continue viewing her Netflix, as she moves from room to room doing her wifey duties.
Laundry: 75" JU7100 she got for our anniversary, because she wanted bigger!
Bedroom: 55" JU7250 because she runs it all night.
Loft: 55" LG 55LHX - to watch while working on her computer.
Guest bedroom: 55" LG 55LHX, situated on the dresser, for when her family shows up.
Family/Kitchen area: 40" J5200 (That she actually bought with her own money, to replace the 32" that was now too small) where she can relax on the couch, fix supper, or eat and watch.

PN64F8500 covered over in the basement - unsaleable in my location, due to `Plasma - eewwh!' sentiment!
The leftover 32" and a 42", sitting on the guest bedroom floor, awaiting one of her relatives wanting a `deal.'

In other words - `house of TVs!'

Reactions: Musician

·
Registered
281 Posts
My Giants could've used this big troll against the Packers last week! Then again, there are no guarantees against the likes of Aaron Rodgers.

Okay, back to SEK business. I'm thoroughly convinced there is no rhyme or reason with these updates. No 1481 for me in sunny and cold NYC; without a site to download from, you get them when you get them and that's it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Talking about 3d im soo glad i got the HU9000 and a sek3500. Last nite i was watching the IMAX ultimate wave 3d and testing a bunch of other 3d blurays for the first time since i got the sek3500 and as amazing HDR can be the 3d on those sets is something beyond. Looks soo good and the deeph is just amazing. I noticed that when i play 3d bluerays or mp4, mkv files my tv behaves like its playing HDR. backlight and contrast go to the max and it jumps to movie mode. I can switch back to any other mode and change settings without any problems but it is just funny because it never did it before. Im still waiting for firmware 1481. Hope this 3d set last for a long time, it looks amazing. I recomend avatar 3d, any IMAX 3D, The ultimate wave 3d, storm surfers 3d, the art of flight 3d.

·
Registered
281 Posts
While reading your first paragraph I kept thinking to myself, I can't believe I have never heard of this "loyalty" program.

It wasn't until I started reading your second paragraph that I started to realize that this was all a dream... or a nightmare depending on how it all worked out. My fear is that it would be like driving a new car off the lot and trying to sell it after a couple of years of depreciation (see attached thumbnail). Probably better off just assigning it to another room and amassing a huge TV collection like @p5browne.
;)

Is this a sign I am even more BORED than you are since I responded to this post.
:p
Ha ha! Maybe so, Musician, but some retailers haul your old set away while delivering the new one, so why not take it further? I'm thinking of what Amazon does when you have old equipment to sell, but they determine the condition of what you send them and base what they give you on that (despite what you indicate on the site).

I'd be happy getting a discount from the Samsung site for being a repeat customer (I've been buying plasma and LED sets from them since 2009), but prices for certain TVs introduced at CES are almost always cut in half (or more) during late November to mid-December, so that counts for something.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Inside joke?
It's the guy who keeps trying to insist things such as ARC on the SEK-3500 can do 5.1 uncompressed PCM, he either doesn't understand what he is seeing and as such truly believes what he is doing or he doesn't own a TV/SEK-3500 combination, bought an early 4K TV thats has no upgrade option for HDCP 2.2 on all ports, HDR10, Netflix HDR, Amazon HDR and in the UK NowTV App, Hates us for being so Savvy and tries to pick Anal fights with good folk who bend over backwards to help people.
"Don't worry mate, I'd be bitter if i was you too".

·
Registered
900 Posts
Talking about 3d im soo glad i got the HU9000 and a sek3500. Last nite i was watching the IMAX ultimate wave 3d and testing a bunch of other 3d blurays for the first time since i got the sek3500 and as amazing HDR can be the 3d on those sets is something beyond. Looks soo good and the deeph is just amazing. I noticed that when i play 3d bluerays or mp4, mkv files my tv behaves like its playing HDR. backlight and contrast go to the max and it jumps to movie mode. I can switch back to any other mode and change settings without any problems but it is just funny because it never did it before. Im still waiting for firmware 1481. Hope this 3d set last for a long time, it looks amazing. I recomend avatar 3d, any IMAX 3D, The ultimate wave 3d, storm surfers 3d, the art of flight 3d.
There was a period where i hated the 3D presentation of this screen, someone else touched on how bad it had become after a firmware update, roll forward 18 months to about October and i decided to give it another go, after a calibration and some tweaking i do love it as a 3D screen, more so than some of the UHD blu rays i have seen recently.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Even after all these years I still struggle with picture

I am in uk, have the hu8500 and sek3500
Whilst I know I'm spoiled having come from a Panasonic g10 (still in use in bedroom) in terms of black levels I find no matter what I can't get quality blacks on the hu8500, without the picture just looking dull and lifeless. I also find colours look rather washed out.

I'm actually considering popping the plasma back in front room !
Hello dunkle i remember you from the UK forums... Mate i have a VT50 on the bedroom wall, some times i look at it and cry because it is so beautiful, then i actually turn it on and wonder off into a wistful world of color and contrast and start to devise evil plots to force Panasonic to give me the 4K proto-type Plasma they must have locked away in their vaults, but it isn't going to happen...
Then i sit and watch something on the same Samsung setup you have, yes it is a different picture, and believe me there are some annoying nuances with my panel that i see from time to time BUT when set up correctly the picture is stunning, i could watch it for ages, i don't know if your set is fully calibrated with the SEK-3500 but in my opinion it makes a difference, only thing is sometimes with Samsung firmware updates they do seem to change the picture a bit, i feel that since the 1480 UK update there has been a slight raising of the black level which is annoying because it means i will have to dial everything in again, i can do this, paying to keep have it done would be extremely frustrating.
Do i love my Plasma? Hell yes and with mostly 1080 content i don't see how a 4K TV would give me a better picture so it stays in the bedroom as long as it is fit and healthy, but i couldn't put it back in the Living Room, that room deserves the 4K and at times it too can look stunning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What are your settings?
Hello dunkle i remember you from the UK forums... Mate i have a VT50 on the bedroom wall, some times i look at it and cry because it is so beautiful, then i actually turn it on and wonder off into a wistful world of color and contrast and start to devise evil plots to force Panasonic to give me the 4K proto-type Plasma they must have locked away in their vaults, but it isn't going to happen...
Then i sit and watch something on the same Samsung setup you have, yes it is a different picture, and believe me there are some annoying nuances with my panel that i see from time to time BUT when set up correctly the picture is stunning, i could watch it for ages, i don't know if your set is fully calibrated with the SEK-3500 but in my opinion it makes a difference, only thing is sometimes with Samsung firmware updates they do seem to change the picture a bit, i feel that since the 1480 UK update there has been a slight raising of the black level which is annoying because it means i will have to dial everything in again, i can do this, paying to keep have it done would be extremely frustrating.
Do i love my Plasma? Hell yes and with mostly 1080 content i don't see how a 4K TV would give me a better picture so it stays in the bedroom as long as it is fit and healthy, but i couldn't put it back in the Living Room, that room deserves the 4K and at times it too can look stunning.
Currently, my movie settings are

Movie mode
Backlight 13
Contrast 99
Brightness 45
Sharpness 0
Colour 50
Dynamic contrast low
Black tone darker
Gamma -1
Colour Warm 2

·
Registered
465 Posts
What we got with 1481, (Whenever it sees fit to show up?) is the little big one. The BIG one, I'm afraid , will never be.
Samsung wants us to move on to a new 2017 set, but, despite not actually watching that many 3D Movies - sorry Samsung, I'm hanging on to all of my 3D sets.

PN64F8500 covered over in the basement - unsaleable in my location, due to `Plasma - eewwh!' sentiment!

Why not donate the plasma to a charity? I don't know what type are in your area in Canada, but was thinking something like a children's home, a battered and abused women's shelter, a homeless shelter, a veterans org, church or school could use it as a large monitor. Even your local sports bar may have an old TV going bad and could use it. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm wondering if I can pick everyone's brains about my HU8550 / SEK-3500 / K8500 combo. The K8500 is connected with just one HDMI cable directly to the SEK-3500 (no HDMI for sound). I have tried a couple of different HDMI cables, this being the most recent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CRA4L9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I have the K8500 player running in 4k with HDR, I notice on some discs (Fox and Lionsgate for sure) when the player starts up it ends up skipping the first couple of seconds of the little company logo/jingles that pop up. In other words, when the Fox logo is spinning and the song is playing, it doesn't come up on the screen until about 3 seconds into the clip. It sometimes does it at the start of a film, too, after playing it from the start. Certainly not a big deal... just wondering if it could spell future problems.

When I hook up the same player to a 1080p tv and it downconverts it, it plays the little logo clips right from the start, after playing the little warning about how the quality isn't optimal because it's a 1080p display. Also, when I played the K8500 on the HU8550 before I got the SEK-3500, it played these clips from the start. It wasn't until I had HDR with the SEK-3500 that it does it.

I'm hoping it's a quirk with the K8500 (even though no one seems to have reported it but me) and not any issue with the SEK-3500. Everything else connected to the SEK starts up as normal, but all of the other things I have hooked up to it are 1080p devices.

I notice with the SEK-3500 with any connected device, when I hit the "info" button, it displays the blue bar on the top with the HDMI input, date, etc. immediately, but the specs (3840x2160 / 60p / UHD) take about a second to appear. Is that typical? Just stating it in case it's related.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

I have noticed this black screen with audio effect ever since adding the K8500 UHD player to my SEK almost a year ago. It occurs with all of my 4K players even when I play a movie from a hard drive connected to my 4K players, BR disc or play Netflix through any one of my devices. I think it is some sort of handshaking when you have the SEK set for UHD on the HDMI input. It is not my HDMI cables as the TV is receiving the correct colour profile and bit rate. It only happens at the beginning of a movie for a few seconds as though the TV (SEK) is adjusting itself to the signal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Woohoo. Netflix HDR on my JS8500 and HU8550/SEK3500. Too bad all of their HDR content is terrible. Honestly I have seen a few demos and shows that really impressed me, but if this is HDR then HDR means dim, low contrast, washed out image. It's painful to watch some of this stuff.

On a positive note, while it looks awful on any set I view it on (HDR my ass), the OA is a killer show.

Is Amazon's HDR content working on your HU8550/SEK3500 combo? I've got an HU8550 and am thinking about picking up an SEK3500. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
In response to those who are saying that Netflix HDR looks terrible, on my HU9000, it's not too bad but i'm not expecting a spectacular HDR picture given the capabilities of the set. Unfortunately, these sets, and even the 2015's, in my opinion, don't have the brightness that you need to display this HDR content "properly" which is probably why it doesn't look very good to some. I can tell you that on my 2016 OLED, it looks great. I guess we need to be happy that we have it at all. :)

Reactions: player002

·
Registered
43 Posts
There was a period where i hated the 3D presentation of this screen, someone else touched on how bad it had become after a firmware update, roll forward 18 months to about October and i decided to give it another go, after a calibration and some tweaking i do love it as a 3D screen, more so than some of the UHD blu rays i have seen recently.
Yeah same here. When i first got the tv it was nothing special. It looked just like my previous 3d tv also from samsung. But now it is really impressive and for sure some 3d content looks just as good as some UHD hdr content.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
One has to remember the specs required for truly optimum HDR: namely 10,000 Nits, of which, there's currently no such animal!
HU9000 + SEK is in the neighbourhood of 300 to 400 NITS - a little shy. Personally, the HDR is a little duller on this combo, and brighter on my JU7100 that gets between 500 to 600 NITS, but, I enjoy it on either. There's always those who want everything to look like it's on Dynamic Mode. To those, I tell them to go outside and look around - I don't see Dynamic Mode out there.
For a comparison, go to Page 1 of the Masters list of HDR, and download both copies of Tom Roper's Grays Peak. Old version, despite it being a sunny day, actually looks overcast. Now watch the updated version - should appear to be brighter, and now look sunny. So, it goes to show what you're seeing, depends on how it's produced. Both of Tom's videos look good, but his new rendition looks greater!.

Reactions: jrref
20921 - 20940 of 24027 Posts