AVS Forum banner

21101 - 21120 of 24027 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I have a question about netflix. Since netflix removed the ability to check the resolution on the video we watch i have the impression that whatever they advertize as 4k its not really 4k. Dunno why but when i stream someting on youtube or amazon and i can check the info and make sure it is 4k it just looks a lot sharper and better than anything advertized as 4k on netflix. Hope they put the info option back to make sure we are getting the 4k we are paying for because i have a feeling we are paying for some sort of fake 4k there. Or maybe im just paranoid hahaha. Some videos at 1080p on youtube look better than some 4k netflix. Anybody else feels the same way? Why they would remove that info feature?
You're not the only Netflix UHD subscriber who's expressed this concern. From what I heard, the availability of that debug screen to subscribers had started to create a lot of issues for their tech support call center.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any of the 4 will do, just make sure to turn on UHD color for the hdmi port and use a hdmi cable capable of supporting HDR. Don't run the video through your AVR if it doesn't have HDMI 2.0a ports
But this aids only for 4k devices, correct?

Do I need to turn UHD Color on just for Netflix or Amazon?

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
To anyone on this thread who would prefer not to read my informative and sometimes edgy posts, let me provide another one of my useful "How To" posts.

How ironic that this also happens to be a repost! :D

______________________________​

How do I add a member to my Ignore List?

In the upper right hand corner you will see a link called User CP which stands for User Control Panel. If you click on the link you will see a column on the left hand side that includes a bunch of options including one called Edit Ignore List. Click on that and up will come the Ignore List where you can add the member's name(s) who's posts you want to ignore as depicted below...

LMAO :laugh:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
But this aids only for 4k devices, correct?

Do I need to turn UHD Color on just for Netflix or Amazon?
No - UHD color is just for HDMI. For streaming you need up to date firmware and apps as well as Amazon Prime for Amazon and/or 4 screen plan for Netflix and both require generally a sufficient internet connection 25 mbps or more.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a question about netflix. Since netflix removed the ability to check the resolution on the video we watch i have the impression that whatever they advertize as 4k its not really 4k. Dunno why but when i stream someting on youtube or amazon and i can check the info and make sure it is 4k it just looks a lot sharper and better than anything advertized as 4k on netflix. Hope they put the info option back to make sure we are getting the 4k we are paying for because i have a feeling we are paying for some sort of fake 4k there. Or maybe im just paranoid hahaha. Some videos at 1080p on youtube look better than some 4k netflix. Anybody else feels the same way? Why they would remove that info feature?
As someone who has been a Netflix 4K customer for over 2 years i have to say over the last 6 months i have found it increasingly harder to actually achieve 4K playback, I live in the UK, my internet speed is 200/20, most of the time i can download at at my full speed i have no bottleneck or network issues where i live.
What has become apparent is that servers all over the world now throttle Netflix, some more so than others but on a good day i can achieve 4K Netflix at off peak times, at peak times you can see the resolution changing up and down constantly.
I had been using a combined smart DNS/VPN service with static routing and found that i could get a stable 4K stream from servers in Paris but Netflix has now for the time being totally stopped my circumvention.
If you read into this more, servers are demanding more money from Netflix to serve their traffic, Netflix are refusing, Maybe Netflix does not want you to be able to prove what quality of service you are getting so you can't complain or demand a refund??
Either way most savvy consumers will only wear it for so long, will you keep paying for UHD if you are not recieving it?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts

Not only that but now you can't see any program info or even episode number, nothing.

But 1 way around the resolution issue is to use an external streamer whether it be roku/4k blu ray player, and then you can use the regular info button on your tv to check the incoming signals resolution.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Not only that but now you can't see any program info or even episode number, nothing.

But 1 way around the resolution issue is to use an external streamer whether it be roku/4k blu ray player, and then you can use the regular info button on your tv to check the incoming signals resolution.
Good morning Ray!

With regards to your theory of using an external streamer to check the incoming resolution, I ran some tests with the streamers I own to confirm your theory but unfortunately it appears all HD content is getting upscaled by the streaming devices to 3840 x 2160.

I used the Netflix Deadpool video which is an HD video and here are the results:

• UBD-K8500 Player: 3840 x 2160 / 24p

• Chromecast Ultra: 3840 x 2160 / 60p
As you can see in the attached thumbnails, at least the UBD-K8500 outputs the correct frame rate whereas the Chromecast Ultra does not.

Although I know a little trick where you can have the UBD-K8500 automatically output the "native" resolution for Ultra HD discs, Blu-rays, and old fashioned DVD's (which is well documented in my BD Wise Guy post on that thread), I don't believe there is a similar way of getting around the upscaling from the Netflix app.

I thought to myself maybe your method used to work when the player first came out but I remembered this conversation between @galonzo and myself on the K8500 thread from way back in April of 2016...

Finally, all videos from the Netflix app that I am aware of output at 24p
Hate to throw a wrench in your theory, but while testing HDMI cables, I came across a situation where some 1080p Netflix videos are at 60p; (while others are indeed 24p).

So, having the player on Auto for Resolution and Movie Frame (24Fs), it was upscaling the 1080p/60 to 4K/60p for the videos (episodes of Top Gear), while House of Cards gets passed through as 2160p/24
Well I just tried the 1080p movie Intersteller which just like most HD and UHD content such as the House of Cards outputs at 3840 x 2160 / 24p.

You are correct though -- for whatever reason Top Gear (and I'm sure there are other exceptions) is ouput at 60 fps.

What did I learn out of all this?

It is better for me to use my UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player while streaming Netflix videos rather than my Chromecast Ultra for a few reasons:

1. it maintains the correct frame rate

2. it allows me to obtain Dolby Digital +

3. in my case my Connection Speed is quickest from my UBD-K8500
Note: Although the Netflix app no longer gives us the ability to determine the resolution of the stream, it is possible to run a test via the the Netflix app to determine your Connection Speed which can be an indicator if you are being throttled.

For details, please see this post: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1990706-2015-samsung-sek-3500u-za-evolution-kit-677.html#post48868033

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I never got throttled for Netflix but am still incapable of getting 4K on a consistent basis on Youtube. I can hit it every time on my PC browser though so it's the apps in particular that seem to have the issue.

Sad to report that despite 1481 indeed giving me Netflix HDR, my banding/flashlighting problem still exists. I refuse to believe that it's always been this way and I am just noticing it....it seems too blatant for that to be the case. I noticed the issue soon after updating to 1470.4, can't be a coincidence right? Or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I never got throttled for Netflix but am still incapable of getting 4K on a consistent basis on Youtube.

Sad to report that despite 1481 indeed giving me Netflix HDR, my banding/flashlighting problem still exists. I refuse to believe that it's always been this way and I am just noticing it....it seems too blatant for that to be the case. I noticed the issue soon after updating to 1470.4, can't be a coincidence right? Or am I just crazy?
i agree the pq has deteriorated after the update 1481. Blacks are not inkier as they were with 1470.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
...Sad to report that despite 1481 indeed giving me Netflix HDR, my banding/flashlighting problem still exists. I refuse to believe that it's always been this way and I am just noticing it....it seems too blatant for that to be the case. I noticed the issue soon after updating to 1470.4, can't be a coincidence right? Or am I just crazy?
i agree the pq has deteriorated after the update 1481. Blacks are not inkier as they were with 1470.

Have either of you done a soft or hard-reset? The reason I ask, is because I was noticing Cinema Black was no longer giving me the inky black bars I was getting prior to 1470 (I believe it was); luckily, a soft-reset resolved this issue for me (i.e unplug and completely drain power and wait a few minutes before powering back up).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did try that when I was on 1470, but haven't tried it with 1481. Guess it can't hurt anything to try it again.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
In our area, I refuse to pay extra for the Amazon, and NetFlix HD 4 sets, in that, as a Member posted above, it appears, just when you get going with 4K streams, the ISP is throttling back, despite having 300 mbps, day, night or 3AM. Same with YouTube and Amazon. Too much PIB to do 4K except by 4K UHD BD.
Unfortunately the big guys are getting bigger, squeezing out the little guys, and creating monopolies with steady increases every month. I think this is done so you subscribe to their more costly video deliveries - which aren't HDR. No money in it for them with you going with the cheaper alternatives - result throttled deliveries!

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
HDMI 1 FW # 1481.1 Calibration Plus Brightness change

Note: Tests last night have shown, Samsung, on my HU9000 + SEK-3500U, has changed the change over point for Brightness from 45/46 to 46/47, for both Regular and HDR.
So the Member who has his HDR Brightness at 46, was correct.
47 is better, in that HDR is brighter and all Primaries and Secondaries are more equal, but, then you run into the Backlight issue, and reduced Blacks. So, 47 will give you better, more equal Colors, but at the expense of Black. (Old saying, try it to see which way you like it better for your viewing pleasure - note: changing from 46 to 47 does NOT affect the 2 Point setting)

After calibrating HDMI 1 last night, found Brightness was better at 44 for Regular viewing. Have included the 45 settings from last night, but will be re-calibrating for Brightness at 44, possibly tonight. Then post.

Attachments

Reactions: brotony

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
In our area, I refuse to pay extra for the Amazon, and NetFlix HD 4 sets, in that, as a Member posted above, it appears, just when you get going with 4K streams, the ISP is throttling back, despite having 300 mbps, day, night or 3AM. Same with YouTube and Amazon. Too much PIB to do 4K except by 4K UHD BD.
Unfortunately the big guys are getting bigger, squeezing out the little guys, and creating monopolies with steady increases every month. I think this is done so you subscribe to their more costly video deliveries - which aren't HDR. No money in it for them with you going with the cheaper alternatives - result throttled deliveries!
Following thread has many posts regarding Netflix "throttling": http://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-video-download-services-hardware/1089285-netflix-streaming-quality.html

Many providers, including TWC that I use, have agreements with Netflix (presume Netflix is paying them); and we have excellent streaming rates.

Plus, the following provides another way to test your connection: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-video-download-services-hardware/1089285-netflix-streaming-quality-281.html#post46267609

·
Registered
134 Posts

Have either of you done a soft or hard-reset? The reason I ask, is because I was noticing Cinema Black was no longer giving me the inky black bars I was getting prior to 1470 (I believe it was); luckily, a soft-reset resolved this issue for me (i.e unplug and completely drain power and wait a few minutes before powering back up).
Tried it and it didn't change anything.

I will say I was using the term flashlighting incorrectly after looking more into it. This isn't the best picture, but this is what I'm getting. This is a load screen from the game LittleBig Planet 3 on PS4 that's supposed to be the color white towards the middle that fades into a light grey:

CLICKY

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Tried it and it didn't change anything.

I will say I was using the term flashlighting incorrectly after looking more into it. This isn't the best picture, but this is what I'm getting. This is a load screen from the game LittleBig Planet 3 on PS4 that's supposed to be the color white towards the middle that fades into a light grey:

CLICKY
This is not a good photo on which to base a diagnosis. Back away from the screen, and take another photo that shows the entire rectangle so that the knowledgeable gentlemen on the thread can take a guess as to what the problem might be.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is not a good photo on which to base a diagnosis. Back away from the screen, and take another photo that shows the entire rectangle so that the knowledgeable gentlemen on the thread can take a guess as to what the problem might be.
Sorry, I thought you wouldn't be able to see it but you might be able to:

Click

Here's another of the side menu on my PS4 when you go to select the resolution, where it's supposed to be fading from dark blue to light blue:

CLICK

It doesn't happen with every gradient change, but it happens enough for me to notice...or maybe it was always like this and I just started noticing? :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
As someone who has been a Netflix 4K customer for over 2 years i have to say over the last 6 months i have found it increasingly harder to actually achieve 4K playback, I live in the UK, my internet speed is 200/20, most of the time i can download at at my full speed i have no bottleneck or network issues where i live.
What has become apparent is that servers all over the world now throttle Netflix, some more so than others but on a good day i can achieve 4K Netflix at off peak times, at peak times you can see the resolution changing up and down constantly.
I had been using a combined smart DNS/VPN service with static routing and found that i could get a stable 4K stream from servers in Paris but Netflix has now for the time being totally stopped my circumvention.
If you read into this more, servers are demanding more money from Netflix to serve their traffic, Netflix are refusing, Maybe Netflix does not want you to be able to prove what quality of service you are getting so you can't complain or demand a refund??
Either way most savvy consumers will only wear it for so long, will you keep paying for UHD if you are not recieving it?
Yeah that sucks. Glad to hear that im not the only one concerned about it. I would cancel my subscription for sure but i think that would bring a sex strike into my life. The wife would freak out without netflix. Here in canada netflix it is pretty stable. The picture looks good and works well but i just dont think im getting the 4k i pay for. Hopefully they will bring the info buttom back like they keep saying they will.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@JohngPR , So what you're talking about is called "banding", which can be caused by a few different things; In your case, I would bet you probably have your PS4 set to 12bit? Sorry, I don't have a PS4 :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
@JohngPR , So what you're talking about is called "banding", which can be caused by a few different things; In your case, I would bet you probably have your PS4 set to 12bit? Sorry, I don't have a PS4 :(
Thanks, I know the what, but don't know the why. :(

I specifically have it set to 420 YUV to try and avoid the 12-bit banding effect. Also, it doesn't just happen on my PS4, it has happened on every device, so I'm convinced it's the TV itself creating this effect since it does it on video sources that are not 12 bit. To me, its almost as if the TV itself is stuck in a 12-bit mode but I don't even know if that's possible.

21101 - 21120 of 24027 Posts