22181 - 22200 of 24027 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Reactions: King Richard

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
Now that we're running out of SEK-3500U topics, maybe it's time to re-install the JS Mod, and do a new calibration with it.
Maybe there's been some better changes with the FW for the JS model?
(I do so miss that SUHD Logo on startup!)
My set still has JS mod gunna update now.. Will report back in few days

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Note additions in my posting 22189

Addendum:

PQ, especially HDR is improved.
Maybe we can talk about if our panels are 8 bit or 10 bit again! :eek::eek:

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Reactions: King Richard

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Thanks, poppagene. If it turns out this is the result of modding one too many times, so be it. However, I know that I have the correct settings for each model because I don't think you can perform a factory reset if the service menu settings don't match your set. I also remember someone posting that VIDITY isn't working for certain 2014 models (and 2013/F9000 ones) despite what it says on the side of the WD box. Maybe my F9 worked all along because the panel was actually manufactured in 2014, but I'll see what happens on both sets when I connect a new, unmodded SEK to them.
I updated the firmware on my JS modded UN40HU6950 with the SEK-3500 to 1501.2. After completion I went into the Fandango Now app and it recognized the attached WD cinema drive as vidity and played the UHD HDR Exodus movie in HDR.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
^^^ JS Hack ^^^

Not one, but two guys on AVSF who own real JS9500 models have had their panels go bad on them in the last 3 weeks alone.

Likewise for these recent posts on the JS9000 thread who are also reporting panel issues so for anyone considering the JS Mod hack be forewarned that pushing your panels beyond those that Samsung defines in their firmware for each of our lineup of HU panels (by fooling the TV into thinking that it is something that it isn't) may very well have adverse affects and VOID YOUR WARRANTIES or shorten the expected LIFESPAN of your TV.

It's beyond me how just 2 days ago @p5browne was saying that without any hacking the HU + SEK's picture quality, especially HDR, had improved and also felt that the NITS value increased but then did an about-face and says that with the hack videos are "now brighter, clearer, and have more contrast".

So a couple of days ago without the hack we had improved PQ when viewing HDR and now with the hack are we to believe we have even better PQ? More NITS doesn't necessarily equate to better PQ.

What are we supposed to believe and is it worth the risk?

Whatever the case I really don't give a crap what you guys do but am a little disappointed to see that @p5browne is back to his old ways (on this and other threads) and not respecting the mods posts saying that this subject should only be discussed via Private Message.

Maybe it's time for one of the mods such as @markrubin or @teachsac to poke his head in this thread and nip this in the bud.
;)

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
FW # 1501.2 DID improve the PQ by putting the 1500.4 1RE 3 background, back to it's former IRE 2, making contrast better.
So, I'm not changing my story since the JS Mod was done after, and it is better by 10%

The following was PM'd to others using the JS MOD, and not posted, but now you've forced my hand.

# 1 - As can be expected, because it's the nature of the edge lit beast:
- background is still at 2 IRE.

# 2 - Despite # 1, normal viewing does appear to have better:
- contrast, color, detailing, and better blacks on things live or inanimate

# 3 - HDR, JS Mod is really much better! Brighter than normal HU viewing.
- Gray's Peak HDR - far side of the lake, is now clear as day, and detailed
- Gray's Peak - fishing people no longer look like they're in the shadow of a tree.
- gray's peak - overall, appears to be midday, versus towards evening
- shocker - Sony glass blowing HDR - gave me a jolt! The blower's face now well illuminated!
- Sony glass blowing - whole video now radiates, and unseen features are now prominent.

Note: there are no instructions contained within, as to how to do it. Members who do do it, know how. Novices are WARNED away from this procedure!

Also note: when the JS Members were questioned as to the protection they were providing to protect their sets, NO ONE, answered!

You spent lots of $s buying the set, and don't bother protecting with a minimum of a UPS Battery backup, and in my case, a Monster Power Command Unit as well. you're looking for panel issues! Today's power brown outs, mere second power outages, and surges, one is crazy not to have this kind of protection. Like people wanting others to help out when their homes burned down, but they took a chan:rolleyes:ce when they didn't insure the place!
Great! So what did I learn out of this? You can count to three. :rolleyes:

Sure you are changing your story because you then go on to say how much better it is by saying it is 10% brighter (which may or may not be an improvement) by introducing the JS Hack which should only be discussec via PM.

No need to BS me by saying you PM'd members with that information because I can find it in this recent post of yours in the JU7100 thread....

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1908673-samsung-ju7100-328.html#post54300465

...where you stated....

Just reconfigured my HU9000 + SEK-3500U back to the JS Mod. Quite the difference for the HDR: brighter, more contrast and clearer.
As for your further BS saying that there were no instructions saying how to do it, it doesn't take a genius like me to find YOUR POST dated 03-30-2016 containing step-by-step instructions in the HU7250 thread posted months after we were told not to that you and others have linked to countless times as follows...

Fellow Member's App instructions for JS Mod

And as for your further BS about me (and other members) not using a UPS, you are wrong. If you had of used the Search this Thread you will find that I am... not that that would have a darn thing about panel failures like the links I provided in my post.

BTW, where in your infinite wisdon did you conclude that NOT having a UPS was causing the issues many members on the JS threads were having with their panels where I recall at least one of them told you he was using a UPS???

The following recent posts of yours is a joke and has no place in this thread especially considering what the mods have already posted here...

Now that we're running out of SEK-3500U topics, maybe it's time to re-install the JS Mod, and do a new calibration with it.
Maybe there's been some better changes with the FW for the JS model?
(I do so miss that SUHD Logo on startup!)
Are you really that naive to think that if the JS Mod is such an improvement to each and every one of the HU and JU series that the Samsung Engineers wouldn't roll it out and not rely on you to promote it which requires owners having to enter the Advanced Service Menu without knowing what harm it might be doing or where one false move can 'brick' their SEK-3500? :confused:

If we have run out of topics to discuss regarding the Evo Kit and it is going to revert back to the JS Hack thread then I have pretty much run out of wasting my time helping guys out even though I am hearing rumours that a new Evo Kit might be released in the future. I was going to start a new spreadsheet of what the next generation SEK could include but why bother!!!

Reactions: PJL99

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Due to my not mentioning the possible loss of some Apps because of the JS Mod, I withdrew the JS Mod info.
Personally, I don't use the Apps, and preferring the better PQ, for now I will retain my mod.

One thing that did come out of this, is that I found watching HDR Video materials on Movie mode, is superior to the Standard Mode, despite Standard showing higher Nit levels.

Reactions: celestica

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I think we should go back talking about if our panels are 8 or 10 bit :D

·
Registered
10,530 Posts

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Due to my not mentioning the possible loss of some Apps because of the JS Mod, I withdrew the JS Mod info.
Personally, I don't use the Apps, and preferring the better PQ, for now I will retain my mod.

One thing that did come out of this, is that I found watching HDR Video materials on Movie mode, is superior to the Standard Mode, despite Standard showing higher Nit levels.
Interesting, I have always used Movie mode for both SDR and HDR.

Isn't it great that the SEK-3500 thread does't need a mod (even if we wanted one) and we can delete our own posts. With that being said could I kindly ask that you delete the following post of yours containing step-by-step instructions which is the post thst potentially could do the most harm...

Fellow Member's App instructions for JS Mod

Let's face it, you may want to point the finger at @player002 that these are his instructions but as I distinctly recall he has said in the past that he discreetly shared them with one or two people and that they started passing them around and then it snowballed from there. At least he respected the forum rules and has never posted them on AVSF but you my friend have blatently violated the rules by posting this information AFTER we were explicitely told by the mods that this topic should only be discussed via Private Message.

Don't get me wrong. If you or @player002 or anybody else on this forum wants to help someone perform the JS Mod via Private Message then be my guest but please lets at least have the courtesy of removing these instructions... that as you mentioned this morning "the possible loss of some Apps because of the JS Mod" which ironically is exactly the opposite of why they were shared in the first place!

________________________________​

Edit

I see you also removed a couple of posts on the JU7100 thread but the remnants of one of them remain since somebody responded to it here...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1908673-samsung-ju7100-329.html#post54331593

...where you said...

Finished the JS-MOD calibrations of Movie and Standard:

Dilemma : Nit level of Movie 100% HDR10 Window is 354 Nits. Standard is 393 Nits. BUT, HDR Video Materials look BETTER on the Movie Mode.
So more Nits does not mean better PQ! So, my previous recommendation of regular viewing on Movie, and HDR on Standard is rescinded!
So even though you indicated a 10% increase in NITS on the SEK-3500 thread we now know by reading another thread you post on that you weren't comparing apples to apples when you mislead us again in this post by saying:

So, I'm not changing my story since the JS Mod was done after, and it is better by 10%
I think most people would conclude by your two posts you deleted off this thread that you meant that by going back to the JS Mod it was responsible for the huge 10% jump in NITS... not the fact that you were comparing Standard mode to Movie mode where you now say Movie mode (even though it has a lower NITS value) "looks BETTER" for HDR which is what most of us have been saying all along.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Interesting, I have always used Movie mode for both SDR and HDR.

So even though you indicated a 10% increase in NITS on the SEK-3500 thread we now know by reading another thread you post on that you weren't comparing apples to apples when you mislead us again in this post by saying:
Get your story straight!

I'm posting about Masicola's 100% HDR10 Pattern! Sheesh!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Been using the JS9000 mod with the M68 font for 15 months. Love it!

·
Registered
4,345 Posts

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Get your story straight!

I'm posting about Masicola's 100% HDR10 Pattern! Sheesh!
Learn to articule yourself better.

Pretty hard to quote your posts when you keep on deleting them or amending the same posts multiple times sometimes even over the course of a couple of days! Sheesh!!!

Now you want to baffle us with more BS with this nonsense about a 100% window. A 10% improvement in brightness and a discussion of a 100% test pattern window, though related, are two entirely different things.

You just have to go back to your post I quoted yesterday where you said:

Surely you don't mean these arbitrary numbers you pull out of thin air each time a new firmware is released.

Are you now disputing that you didn't say the brightness increased by 10% in your earlier deleted posts on this thread because it doesn't take a genius to read this post on the JU7100 thread you deleted to do the math to determine that the difference between 354 NITS and 393 NITS would be approximately 10%.

Good on you though -- at least on the most recent post you deleted on the JU7100 thread you did inform them you were comparing apples to oranges (Standard picture mode to Movie picture mode) that you failed to mention on every single one of your earlier deleted posts on both threads.

Reactions: PJL99

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have been enjoying this forum for just over 7 months now and taking in all the useful / helpful information and opinions. I respect the rules even though on occasion I may have violated them inadvertently and have asked some pretty dumb questions but what is going on now? This is getting tense :(

Edit: Not judging the validity of anyone's opinions or views btw.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Have been enjoying this forum for just over 7 months now and taking in all the useful / helpful information and opinions. I respect the rules even though on occasion I may have violated them inadvertently and have asked some pretty dumb questions but what is going on now? This is getting tense :(

Edit: Not judging the validity of anyone's opinions or views btw.

@Musician gets moody sometimes ;)

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Once upon a time @player002 provided a hack that allowed guys to view Amazon HDR on our HU + SEK. Eventually the firmware was updated to allow us to view Amazon in HDR.

Even @p5browne eventually admitted that the JS Mod was no longer required. As you have seen in recent days he feels we have run out off topics to discuss so he has resurrected the topic even though the moderators have admonished those posting about it in the SEK-3500 thread that discussing hacks Like the JS Mod should only take place via Private Message but as you can see his merry followers like @doctorwizz (who I have helped in the past) still finds it necessarry to throw in his two cents with posts promoting the hack or by insulting me with posts like this...

@Musician gets moody sometimes ;)
...while others 'Like' the posts from @p5browne where he dishes it out while twisting the facts.

I mean what kind of member would post step-by-step instructions months after being told this topic should only be discussed via PM???

Without tooting my own horn, as one of the more knowledgable guys on this thread who has always been at the ready to help guys, I have received PM's over the last couple of years desperate pleading for help because they have 'bricked' their SEK-3500's in the process and I feel bad for them because there is nothing that can be done other for them to buy a new one.

Have a great day! :)

22181 - 22200 of 24027 Posts