AVS Forum banner

24021 - 24034 of 24034 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
I can't flip through 24K+ posts right now, but, is there a FULL list of compatible TVs for this thing anywhere, or does anyone who is a real Samsung expert, know what the latest and greatest Evo kit is for the UN55F8000 that works? Making its way to be my garage loft/bar TV, and I don't know about these boxes. Just know mine is on firmware 1218,and evidently that's as high as you can go without a box of some sort. Please and thank you in advance for your help.
The SEK-3500U is only compatible with 4K UHD TVs, however, the SEK-4500 is compatible with your set:

SEK-4500 Thread

The thread is shorter so you won't have to go through 24K+ posts and the first post of the thread has a lot of good info. Basically it will give you newer Tizen apps, the Samsung one remote (which will control connected devices using HDMI-CEC), and the ability to control your TV with the Samsung SmartThings app. Although compatible with your TV, unlike an Apple TV or Nvidia Shield, you will not be able to use it with any TV (and you likely will not have a use for it when you replace your TV). Also, new 4K TVs can be purchased for not much more than the cost of the evolution kit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello all, i have the HU9000 with SEK-3500, and uses the Apple TV 4k for all contents. recently i've changed port from HDMI3(MHL) or HDMI1(Cable/SAT) (i don't exactly remember) to HDMI2(DVI), because Disney+ app was giving errors, now solved after connecting to HDMI2(DVI). my question is, is HDMI3(MHL) the only port that has HDCP 2.2? should i connect the ATV4k to HDMI3 to get the best picture? for the record, HDMI4(ARC) is connected to the Sonos Arc soundbar.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Hello all, i have the HU9000 with SEK-3500, and uses the Apple TV 4k for all contents. recently i've changed port from HDMI3(MHL) or HDMI1(Cable/SAT) (i don't exactly remember) to HDMI2(DVI), because Disney+ app was giving errors, now solved after connecting to HDMI2(DVI). my question is, is HDMI3(MHL) the only port that has HDCP 2.2? should i connect the ATV4k to HDMI3 to get the best picture? for the record, HDMI4(ARC) is connected to the Sonos Arc soundbar.
While the original OCB only supported HDCP 2.2 on the HDMI3(MHL) Input, the SEK-3500 brought HDCP 2.2 to all HDMI inputs.

Although I have an Apple TV 4K, I don’t subscribe to the Disney + channel so I have no first hand information as it relates to that particular app but make sure in your TV settings you have Menu > Picture > Picture Options > HDMI IHD Color set to ON especially for HDMI inputs with UHD devices connected as shown on page 192 of the SEK-3500 manual (see thumbnail below).

Failing that this doesn’t fix your issue I did a Google Search for “disney + apple tv 4k hdcp” and came up with a number of posts similar to the following:

Are You Facing HDCP Error on Apple TV? Here Is a Fix

Getting errors while trying to AirPlay Disney Plus?

HDCP error for Disney+ : appletv

More posts like this on the internet. Failing that to help others perhaps it might be useful to post details on exactly what “errors’ the app was giving you (perhaps with some pictures).

·
Registered
108 Posts
While the original OCB only supported HDCP 2.2 on the HDMI2(MHL) Input, the SEK-3500 brought HDCP 2.2 to all HDMI inputs.

Although I have an Apple TV 4K, I don’t subscribe to the Disney + channel so I have no first hand information as it relates to that particular app but make sure in your TV settings you have Menu > Picture > Picture Options > HDMI IHD Color set to ON especially for HDMI inputs with UHD devices connected as shown on page 192 of the SEK-3500 manual (see thumbnail below).

View attachment 3023712
Failing that this doesn’t fix your issue I did a Google Search for “disney + apple tv 4k hdcp” and came up with a number of posts similar to the following:

Are You Facing HDCP Error on Apple TV? Here Is a Fix

Getting errors while trying to AirPlay Disney Plus?

HDCP error for Disney+ : appletv

More posts like this on the internet. Failing that, perhaps it might be useful to post details on exactly what “errors’ the app was giving you (perhaps with some pictures).
thanks for the response. it was the HDCP error. sometimes restarting the ATV works, but as i've mentioned earlier that switching to a different HDMI port has solved that problem.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
thanks for the response. it was the HDCP error. sometimes restarting the ATV works, but as i've mentioned earlier that switching to a different HDMI port has solved that problem.
Could be the signs of a malfunctioning SEK-3500

Yes, I figured it was probably an HDCP error and that you had mentioned switching to a different port solved the problem but if you are sometimes able to restart the ATV to get it to work I wouldn’t exactly say the problem has been fully resolved.

Still a problem if it won’t work on ALL HDMI inputs on the SEK-3500. According to the posts I linked to this could be related to bandwidth issues which can even be caused by a faulty HDMI cable. Or perhaps the HDMI port you originally had it plugged into is beginning to fail.

In other words not all devices will provide an error message like the Apple TV 4K so if you plug another 4K device into that port that the ATV is no longer plugged into such as a 4K Set Top Box or UHD Bluray Player you may end up getting dumb-downed 1080p rather than UHD when playing copy protected 4K content without necessarily knowing.

Although I could have saved some time and stuck to your original questions I am not sure if this would have been too helpful...

1) my question is, is HDMI3(MHL) the only port that has HDCP 2.2?

No

2) should i connect the ATV4k to HDMI3 to get the best picture?

No, all HDMI inputs on the SEK-3500 are capable of providing the same picture quality.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The SEK-3500U is only compatible with 4K UHD TVs, however, the SEK-4500 is compatible with your set:

SEK-4500 Thread

The thread is shorter so you won't have to go through 24K+ posts and the first post of the thread has a lot of good info. Basically it will give you newer Tizen apps, the Samsung one remote (which will control connected devices using HDMI-CEC), and the ability to control your TV with the Samsung SmartThings app. Although compatible with your TV, unlike an Apple TV or Nvidia Shield, you will not be able to use it with any TV (and you likely will not have a use for it when you replace your TV). Also, new 4K TVs can be purchased for not much more than the cost of the evolution kit.
I appreciate the reply. So really, I am not gaining anything by getting the already old SEK-4500U? Will never understand the lack of a SEK-4000U for those of us that bought a flagship 8000 series, being that 4K was useless and irrelevant AF in 2013.

Reactions: musicman0725

·
Registered
566 Posts
I appreciate the reply. So really, I am not gaining anything by getting the already old SEK-4500U? Will never understand the lack of a SEK-4000U for those of us that bought a flagship 8000 series, being that 4K was useless and irrelevant AF in 2013.
They used to designate U to differentiate between the UHD evo kit and the HD evo kits. With the 4500, they decide to make a model that works with both sets of TVs. It will give you the new apps and Samsung universal remote / SmartThings compatibility. Also Bluetooth audio output if you don’t have that by some other means. 4K TVs are really cheap now (especially in smaller sizes) so probably a better idea to get something that is future proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a UN65HU9000FXZA TV where the One Connect Box died (original part number BN91-13495M). Replacements are expensive and hard to come by so I figured I'd try to just replace it with the SEK-3500U. Unfortunately that's not much easier to procure, but is the preferred path given it's a better value for the money.

The challenge is since the current OCB is dead I won't be able to go through the official "UHD Evolution Kit backup" menu since I can't get into the menu at all. Luckily this thread has provided some guidance on how to remedy that, via service remote or otherwise so I feel fairly confident I can overcome this hurdle (let me know if you disagree).

Some of the SEK-3500U units I do see for sale don't come with the cable and/or remote. So my questions are:
1. Any chance my original OCB cable will work with the SEK-3500U?
2. Any chance my original remotes will work with the SEK-3500U?
3. Anything else I should watch out for?

For anyone thinking I should just save the money and put it towards the purchase of a new TV, I hear you but there are other factors at play in my circumstance and replacing the OCB would be easiest given my situation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I have a UN65HU9000FXZA TV where the One Connect Box died (original part number BN91-13495M). Replacements are expensive and hard to come by so I figured I'd try to just replace it with the SEK-3500U. Unfortunately that's not much easier to procure, but is the preferred path given it's a better value for the money.

The challenge is since the current OCB is dead I won't be able to go through the official "UHD Evolution Kit backup" menu since I can't get into the menu at all. Luckily this thread has provided some guidance on how to remedy that, via service remote or otherwise so I feel fairly confident I can overcome this hurdle (let me know if you disagree).

Some of the SEK-3500U units I do see for sale don't come with the cable and/or remote. So my questions are:

For anyone thinking I should just save the money and put it towards the purchase of a new TV, I hear you but there are other factors at play in my circumstance and replacing the OCB would be easiest given my situation.

Thanks!
Answers

1. Yes, the original OCB cable will work with the SEK-3500

2. Yes, the original egg shaped remote will pair with the SEK-3500

3. At best you might get the SEK-3500 working without having the original OCB but one false move in the service menus can potentially brick the unit.

Considering you feel confident that you can get it working by reading some posts in this thread, funny you didn’t read the posts that mentioned the cable from the original OCB will work with the SEK-3500 or those where guys prefer using the original OCB remote versus the one delivered with the SEK-3500.

Although I am aware of guys entering service menus for various reasons (e.g. including instances where something went wrong during the install process), I don’t recall any posts that used this to overcome the lack of an original OCB to do the “normal” Evo Kit Backup install method. Something else to keep in mind is that due to the risks involved with making changes in the service menus you probably won’t find anyone on this thread willing to hold your hand. Likewise for Samsung Support.

Personally I would put that money aside for a new TV or wait it out and eat my losses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you! I think I'll just get just a replacement OCB after all and not the Evo Kit. Appreciate your response.
And I think your last post on the HU9000 owners thread preemptively answered my next question, which is whether you suspect there would be any issues connecting a used replacement OCB to my TV (answer: presumably no given they're not married to the screen and have no install process).

·
Registered
566 Posts

Thanks!
Having gone through this recently w/ a used 3500, I would recommend seeing if you can find one that has previously been used with the same set that you have since you won't be able to perform the evolution kit backup. If you do not have an evolution kit backup, you will definitely not want to reset the kit (and will not want the seller to reset the kit) as it expects one during the initial setup. I don't think the service menu will help you if the kit is in the initial setup routine and you are missing an evolution kit backup. However, if you've previously performed an evolution kit backup for whatever reason with your old one connect box, you may be in the clear. I have the HU8550, but I would imagine that the HU9000 would have to save the backup to memory on the TV since you have to remove the old one connect box prior to restoring the backup during the SEK-3500 installation. The SEK-3500 that I ended up returning was problematic and would reboot randomly (sometimes frequently). I was never able to figure out the cause of the reboots but I did go through the installation routine many times trying different configurations. If you do not perform a new backup, you can just use the backup you previously made whenever you reset the kit. Definitely worth considering just replacing the TV given what the cost of a used 3500 typically goes for and the amount of time you may possibly spend trying to get your set working properly.

EDIT: Never refreshed the page that I was typing earlier today before submitting my reply and then saw you already responded to the thread...my bad

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am looking to sell my SEK-3500, is there a way I can reset my HU8550 back to the way it was before I did the SEK install so the TV is functional without the OCB?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I am looking to sell my SEK-3500, is there a way I can reset my HU8550 back to the way it was before I did the SEK install so the TV is functional without the OCB?
No special steps required on the SEK-3500 before disconnecting it from your TV. In other words you can just disconnect the SEK-3500 and the HU8550 will revert back to operate the way it did before the Evolution Kit Upgrade. Once you have disconnected the Evo Kit from your TV, go into Menu >> Support >> Software Update >> Update now to install the latest software compatible with the HU8550.

However, as a first step, if you plan on installing the SEK-3500 on a different TV or selling it down the road like you plan on doing it is important that before disconnecting the SEK-3500 you will want to do a ”factory reset“ that can be accomplished by going into Menu >> Support >> Self Diagnosis >> Reset right before disconnecting it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No special steps required on the SEK-3500 before disconnecting it from your TV. In other words you can just disconnect the SEK-3500 and the HU8550 will revert back to operate the way it did before the Evolution Kit Upgrade. Once you have disconnected the Evo Kit from your TV, go into Menu >> Support >> Software Update >> Update now to install the latest software compatible with the HU8550.

However, as a first step, if you plan on installing the SEK-3500 on a different TV or selling it down the road like you plan on doing it is important that before disconnecting the SEK-3500 you will want to do a ”factory reset“ that can be accomplished by going into Menu >> Support >> Self Diagnosis >> Reset right before disconnecting it.
Thank you for all the information. This was a big help!

24021 - 24034 of 24034 Posts