AVS Forum banner

17541 - 17560 of 24027 Posts

·
Lionheart of AVS
3,287 Posts
...If broken will generate more sales. If not will be time we'll spent. It's a win win for economy and personal accomplishment.

Paraphrase: "It's a good way to stimulate the economy and encourage personal growth..."

Really??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Okay, I think it's time to change the subject now - past time!

Richard

·
Registered
70 Posts
I must completely agree with Ray. I am actually surprised that it took so long for someone to write it so hardly here. There is so many complete nonsense here around improved picture quality. And it is not only connected with JS mod. Even with every new firmware people are claiming that picture quality improved for them. And they even add percentage of how much it improved. I always wonder how would someone measure, that PQ improved by 20%. I must agree with Ray, that there is absolutely no improvement whatsoever with JSmod. It is simply not possible.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Let's put the blame where it belongs: Samsung!
Firstly, the idea of a 5 year upgrade protection was a great enticement to buy.Many of us did!
Older sets got the 2500, and later sets the SEK-3500U. Samsung has given us some great FW updates like 1440.4 and now, not as great an upgrade, but more subtle 1455.
But then they turn around and deny access to Amazon HDR, and NetFlix HDR.
Announce there wasn't going to be any more future OCB upgrades, and to that affect, changed all the future sets to OCB Minis that are essentially only switch boxes. KS Mod - doubt it! The BIG FW update?
JS Mod got access to the Amazon HDR, which, depending on the Member posting, was good or bad. I assume it will get better as more material becomes available.
Samsung forced this with lack of access to older sets, even the SEK-3500U!
Re placebo or not placebo, this was an off to the side effect that Members noticed, but the original intent was Amazon HDR.
The 5 year protection has been thrown out with the bath water, and Members are left in the dust!
Samsung must think every Member can just go out and purchase the newest upgrade every 6 months. While in reality, as some Members have mentioned, they can only afford to upgrade every 3 years. Why they bought into the 5 year future protection.
If you read the various Samsung websites around the world, a lot of Samsung TV purchasers didn't even get the right to purchase a SEK-3500U!
Like also mentioned by a Member, Samsung did TOO GOOD a job with the SEK-3500U, and are more or less probably blaming it for a drop in sales. So, lets shut down any future accessibility to the HDR streams through current sets.
So future proofing out the window, no upgrade-ability excepting for purchasing a new set, or additional peripherals does not put Members in a good frame of mind when Samsung's name comes up.
I think the drop in sales is more attributed by Members now getting an excellent PQ, tired of this every 6 months upgrades, and have decided to sit it out until all the final specs are in, and standards have stabilized. (Yes we know more updates will follow, but hopefully not so accelerated as every 6 months.) Take the UHD Blu-ray player - you have to admit, current models are essentially Betas, with promises of the players for next year, also including DV. (CES 2017?) Things were fine when your $98 to $198 player went obsolete after a year and a half. You went out and bought another in the same price range. But Samsung wanting $600 for their player in Canada, no thanks. Not for a Beta. Panasonic - $1000 - that's nuts for another Beta!
To the manufacturers, our governments are taking $0.68 out of every dollar we make, and the experts are predicting $0.71. Leaving us to first of all buy and pay for necessities first. Then we'll see if we have anything left over to purchase your products - just not every 6 months!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I just wanted to say that if it is a Placebo effect it's one that continues and doesn't stop :eek:
I can tell you in my case after going back and forth a lot, that the JS mod with the JS front color selected does give you a slightly more dynamic picture after you re-calibrate in that mode. I'm not sure why but it does. I primarily did the work in order to watch Amazon HDR and the slightly better PQ was just a bonus. I agree that I probably wouldn't have spent the time doing the mod if it wasn't for Amazon. And we don't know what Netflix is going to require for their HDR when they finally come around to offering it on the 2015 and older sets so doing the mod in my mind was a way to increase the chances of getting HDR on Netflix as well. Interestingly, 6 months after doing the JS mod, still no HDR on the 2015 and older sets on Netflix even though on my LG oled and every other 2016 set, Netflix streams several HDR and Dolby Vision titles so I'm not sure now if we will ever see it HDR on Netflix with our sets :( My guess is when Marco Polo season 2 comes out in HDR shortly and if we still don't get HDR, then we probably won't ever see it. I think this is the time when we will get it or not.

As far as the PQ changing with the software releases. Using my meter, sometimes it did change the picture and sometimes it didn't. I found it really annoying to have to pull out the meter and check and sometimes re-calibrate every time we got a new update. This I agree was a placebo effect most of the time.

But I think this is all behind us now because the new 2016 KS sets have a different OCB. I think we were getting a ton of updates with the 3500 because the JS sets used the same box and software. So every time Samsung was fixing and or optimizing the JS sets, we got that update. Now if we get the "promised" big update this summer, it will probably be only for the new Tisen OS and any updates will probably be for the Apps. which do change from time to time. I believe the days of updates improving the PQ for the 2015 and older sets is done. :(

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Let's put the blame where it belongs: Samsung!
Firstly, the idea of a 5 year upgrade protection was a great enticement to buy.Many of us did!
Older sets got the 2500, and later sets the SEK-3500U. Samsung has given us some great FW updates like 1440.4 and now, not as great an upgrade, but more subtle 1455.
But then they turn around and deny access to Amazon HDR, and NetFlix HDR.
Please explain how it is Samsung, not Amazon, that determines if Amazon will transmit HDR to a HU series/SEK3500 display.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Please explain how it is Samsung, not Amazon, that determines if Amazon will transmit HDR to a HU series/SEK3500 display.
Probably for the same reason Scott left the HU + SEK off his list. It's no longer on the market, despite people still being able to buy it today.
Still a conspiracy to try and force NEW sales of TVs. (Remember, Amazon also sells those as well!)

The 5 year future protection has become null and void! Advertised, just those particular years, to get us to buy, even it they never intended to follow through.

Reactions: ray0414

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Re: Netflix HDR

I just wanted to say that if it is a Placebo effect it's one that continues and doesn't stop :eek:
I can tell you in my case after going back and forth a lot, that the JS mod with the JS front color selected does give you a slightly more dynamic picture after you re-calibrate in that mode. I'm not sure why but it does. I primarily did the work in order to watch Amazon HDR and the slightly better PQ was just a bonus. I agree that I probably wouldn't have spent the time doing the mod if it wasn't for Amazon. And we don't know what Netflix is going to require for their HDR when they finally come around to offering it on the 2015 and older sets so doing the mod in my mind was a way to increase the chances of getting HDR on Netflix as well. Interestingly, 6 months after doing the JS mod, still no HDR on the 2015 and older sets on Netflix even though on my LG oled and every other 2016 set, Netflix streams several HDR and Dolby Vision titles so I'm not sure now if we will ever see it HDR on Netflix with our sets :( My guess is when Marco Polo season 2 comes out in HDR shortly and if we still don't get HDR, then we probably won't ever see it. I think this is the time when we will get it or not.

As far as the PQ changing with the software releases. Using my meter, sometimes it did change the picture and sometimes it didn't. I found it really annoying to have to pull out the meter and check and sometimes re-calibrate every time we got a new update. This I agree was a placebo effect most of the time.

But I think this is all behind us now because the new 2016 KS sets have a different OCB. I think we were getting a ton of updates with the 3500 because the JS sets used the same box and software. So every time Samsung was fixing and or optimizing the JS sets, we got that update. Now if we get the "promised" big update this summer, it will probably be only for the new Tisen OS and any updates will probably be for the Apps. which do change from time to time. I believe the days of updates improving the PQ for the 2015 and older sets is done. :(
Someone posted this in the JS9500 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1936329-samsung-js9500-owners-thread-post44759369.html?highlight=netflix#post44759369

I have been exchanging Emails with Samsung Customer Care for months now and today they informed me September is target date for providing Netflix HDR viewing capability to 2015 models. They said it would be done via OTN.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I do believe we will get the new Tizen2 update because Samsung wants to sell you a $5,000 00 refrigerator and you need tizen2 to have your refer talk to your set

At CES Samsung made a big deal about the fact that their new tvs can speak to your other connected Samsung products.

Samsung 65hu9000
Samsung K8500
Arcam AVR550

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably for the same reason Scott left the HU + SEK off his list. It's no longer on the market, despite people still being able to buy it today.
Still a conspiracy to try and force NEW sales of TVs. (Remember, Amazon also sells those as well!)

The 5 year future protection has become null and void! Advertised, just those particular years, to get us to buy, even it they never intended to follow through.
This is to the fellow owners of HU9000 series TV.

This TV was the top of the tv line sold by Samsung during 2014. Samsung Engineers made their best effort to put out the best TV to market at that time. Its still one of the best out there. Being top of the line, this tv puts best picture out of the box with few or no tweaks(back light, movie mode etc..)

There is no reason or need to get into service mode and modify any thing for this tv. There is nothing one can improve by doing so. Remember , Samsung top notch engineers already put their best effort into this TV.

Only way you can improve on this set is to go buy a new top of the line model released this year.

We have the best tv, enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Posts and advice from certain individuals that don't have an SEK-3500 have to be taken with a grain of salt.

For those that actually have an SEK-3500, congratulations on an excellent (IMO) addition to your television.
HU or JS mode, the choice is yours, but please don't waste your time trying to convince everyone that reads this thread that your choice is the best way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
p5browne,

My earlier post was supposed to be an independent post. I didn't mean to quote your post. I think , I clicked and posted on wrong post. Apologies, didn't mean it.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts

OMG, so now Scott Wilkinson is in some manner in cahouts with Samsung so they can sell more new TVs. Now I have heard it all.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
New Features

But all-in-all at least us early adopters got HDR via the SEK-3500U upgrade and the HDMI 2.0a firmware update that allowed us to hook up external devices such as the K8500 plus a whole lot more goodies as outlined in the attached.

HDR and HDCP

Let's face it HDR and HDCP 2.2 didn't even exist when we bought our TVs although it's easy to blame Samsung, they could have held back and said our panels weren't up to the task of supporting HDR but they didn't.

Explore Other Threads

Some of you should get out a little more often and read some other threads where even some of the so-called HDR Capable sets will not support HDR from an external device. Now how ironic is that?!!

Stop Being Paranoid

Let's face it, no one is getting a new Evo Kit this year including the JS series or any of the 2015 Samsung purchasers for that matter whereas every single purchaser of the 2014 series has the option to upgrade to the full box to hook up an external device to obtain a ton of HDR content in high bitrate not like the very low bitrate streams currently available. Samsung has only said no new SEK for 2015 so no need to fret... yet!

Wise Men

And, as many wise people have stated, why do we need a new box this year? To remove 3D from our sets like the 2016 Samsung lineup or reduce our CPU's from octa-core to quad-core?

It Could Have Been Worse

It could have been a whole lot worse if we didn't buy a set with an external One Connect Box that was upgradeable via the Evolution Kit.

Stay Calm and Keep Your Knickers from Twisting

Other than the 2016 flagship KS models, HDR is not yet available from the Netflix app. I mean are we really going to get our knickers in a twist over two Netflix original series being broadcast in HDR? Samsung had said they are working on the Netflix app so lets give them a chance.

No Regrets

Would I trade for a 2016 78 inch KS model. Well, yeah... but I have no regrets and am enjoying my HU + SEK and have had the benefit of experiencing 4K for a period going on two years now and am thrilled with what I am viewing on my K8500 when seeing side-by-side comparison of HDR content on the HU9000 + SEK versus a JS9500.

Final Words

The SEK-3500 thread should be about the SEK-3500 which was the original intent of this thread and respecting the wishes of Super Moderator @markrubin and the policies of AVS who has said in the past that any discussion of hacking (or JS Modding or whatever you want to call it) should be via Private Message.

Funny that I happen to own the most expensive 78 inch flagship HU9000 model and only on a couple of occasions have I referred to a less expensive HU as an entry level set and took heat over that. Which is kind of ironic in that I thoroughly enjoy a 40 inch HU7000 in my bedroom but understand it's limitations.

A shame that this BS Mod has lead so many to believe that their sets are leaps and bounds ahead of others (even those where there are obvious differences between a HU9000 versus an HU7000 for example) and, like @ray0414 has stated, I have actually taken heat from some members for not performing the mod on my $10,000 set.

Not my business if you do the BS Mod or if your 9 year old kid smokes for that matter but I shouldn't have to read unfounded and impossible claims that the BS Mod provides HDR and WCG to all 1080p content or claims that the hack provides a brighter picture that everyone was led to believe up until recently.

Unfortunately now the majority of visitors to this thread only come for the instructions on how to do the mod and then disappear so are not privy to these new revelations that has @p5browne abandoning the JS Mod on his HU9000.

Funny that some folks will come after any post that knocks the JS Mod but rarely take the time to educate the newbies when they exaggerate what is technically not possible.

Have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
New Features

But all-in-all at least us early adopters got HDR via the SEK-3500U upgrade and the HDMI 2.0a firmware update that allowed us to hook up external devices such as the K8500 plus a whole lot more goodies as outlined in the attached.

HDR and HDCP

Let's face it HDR and HDCP 2.2 didn't even exist when we bought our TVs although it's easy to blame Samsung, they could have held back and said our panels weren't up to the task of supporting HDR but they didn't.

Explore Other Threads

Some of you should get out a little more often and read some other threads where even some of the so-called HDR Capable sets will not support HDR from an external device. Now how ironic is that?!!

Stop Being Paranoid

Let's face it, no one is getting a new Evo Kit this year including the JS series or any of the 2015 Samsung purchasers for that matter whereas every single purchaser of the 2014 series has the option to upgrade to the full box to hook up an external device to obtain a ton of HDR content in high bitrate not like the very low bitrate streams currently available. Samsung has only said no new SEK for 2015 so no need to fret... yet!

Wise Men

And, as many wise people have stated, why do we need a new box this year? To remove 3D from our sets like the 2016 Samsung lineup or reduce our CPU's from octa-core to quad-core?

It Could Have Been Worse

It could have been a whole lot worse if we didn't buy a set with an external One Connect Box that was upgradeable via the Evolution Kit.

Stay Calm and Keep Your Knickers from Twisting

Other than the 2016 flagship KS models, HDR is not yet available from the Netflix app. I mean are we really going to get our knickers in a twist over two Netflix original series being broadcast in HDR? Samsung had said they are working on the Netflix app so lets give them a chance.

No Regrets

Would I trade for a 2016 78 inch KS model. Well, yeah... but I have no regrets and am enjoying my HU + SEK and have had the benefit of experiencing 4K for a period going on two years now and am thrilled with what I am viewing on my K8500 when seeing side-by-side comparison of HDR content on the HU9000 + SEK versus a JS9500.

Final Words

The SEK-3500 thread should be about the SEK-3500 which was the original intent of this thread and respecting the wishes of Super Moderator @markrubin and the policies of AVS who has said in the past that any discussion of hacking (or JS Modding or whatever you want to call it) should be via Private Message.

Funny that I happen to own the most expensive 78 inch flagship HU9000 model and only on a couple of occasions have I referred to a less expensive HU as an entry level set and took heat over that. Which is kind of ironic in that I thoroughly enjoy a 40 inch HU7000 in my bedroom but understand it's limitations.

A shame that this BS Mod has lead so many to believe that their sets are leaps and bounds ahead of others (even those where there are obvious differences between a HU9000 versus an HU7000 for example) and, like @ray0414 has stated, I have actually taken heat from some members for not performing the mod on my $10,000 set.

Not my business if you do the BS Mod or if your 9 year old kid smokes for that matter but I shouldn't have to read unfounded and impossible claims that the BS Mod provides HDR and WCG to all 1080p content or claims that the hack provides a brighter picture that everyone was led to believe up until recently.

Unfortunately now the majority of visitors to this thread only come for the instructions on how to do the mod and then disappear so are not privy to these new revelations that has @p5browne abandoning the JS Mod on his HU9000.

Funny that some folks will come after any post that knocks the JS Mod but rarely take the time to educate the newbies when they exaggerate what is technically not possible.

Have a nice day. :)
Well said!
Even though I couldn't resist buying a 2016 49KS8000 for our den, with the loss of 3-D and the confusion over the emerging HDR/Dolby Vision situation, 2016 is a model year to skip.

Those of us who are lucky to have an HU9000/SEK 3500 set are looking forward to a few more years of enjoying these excellent, and still near state of the art systems. That's our own 5 year plan, as you point out so completely.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does anyone else find it annoying that Samsung doesn't just push the JSMod software changes to HU and under model owners of the SEK3500? Seems ridiculous that we have to access the advanced service menu to do this mod and risk bricking the tv in the process.
I think the reason behind that is Samsung doesn't want to get complaints from people purchased latest and greatest 4K models. How would you feel if you're the owner who bought the best model spending lots of dough and found out that modding an older model comes close in performance of yours?

Anyone ever tried modding to latest KS for your HU series? :)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts

Conspiracy theories seem to be outside Audio Visio "Science"; not to mention, how does your above answer respond to my question? "Please explain how it is Samsung, not Amazon, that determines if Amazon will transmit HDR to a HU series/SEK3500 display."

Reactions: Musician

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone purchase the "new open box" sek-3500U on Amazon?

Can these be used if they've been on a different TV?

Is there any place that sells Evo kit a decent price like Cleveland Plasma?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I think the reason behind that is Samsung doesn't want to get complaints from people purchased latest and greatest 4K models. How would you feel if you're the owner who bought the best model spending lots of dough and found out that modding an older model comes close in performance of yours?

Anyone ever tried modding to latest KS for your HU series? :)
Regarding your first paragraph, are you really serious?

Regarding your second paragraph, are you really serious? :) If you take a moment to think, you will realize why a "KS" option won't appear on the SEK-3500. First, the KS series doesn't use OCBs; and second and most relevant is the fact that the "KS" models didn't even exist when the SEK-3500's were manufactured. Finally, why would Samsung add a "KS" designation on the SEK-3500's when they would never be used together.

Reactions: poppagene

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone purchase the "new open box" sek-3500U on Amazon?

Can these be used if they've been on a different TV?

Is there any place that sells Evo kit a decent price like Cleveland Plasma?
If it was never installed I think it's safe. But if it was EVER installed, I think the evolution kit gets permanently "mates" with the TV that was connected to. I think I read that somewhere.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Regarding your first paragraph, are you really serious?

Regarding your second paragraph, are you really serious? :) If you take a moment to think, you will realize why a "KS" option won't appear on the SEK-3500. First, the KS series doesn't use OCBs; and second and most relevant is the fact that the "KS" models didn't even exist when the SEK-3500's were manufactured. Finally, why would Samsung add a "KS" designation on the SEK-3500's when they would never be used together.
Hey hey, take it easy on me, I am a newbie in this dept! :)

17541 - 17560 of 24027 Posts