AVS Forum banner

18821 - 18840 of 24027 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Anyone with a HU8550 try Forza yet? Curious to see how the HDR looks on our set.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I have one and am really looking forward to it. The official release date is next Tuesday, the 27th. The demo looks spectacular but doesn't contain HDR settings, which will be adjustable in the full, retail copy for the One S.

NBA 2K17 also has HDR—the first console game ever to have the feature—but I can't find any professional reviews that mention it or its quality specifically. It supposedly received a day-one HDR update for both PS4 models. which confirms 4K isn't necessary for either console to run it.

This article from a key game director explains how it's being implemented on the regular and Pro versions. Interesting reading, even if you're not a gamer. http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/18/drilling-down-into-ps4-pros-4k-graphics-on-horizon-zero-dawn/

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a UN55F9000 with the SEK-3500U and was thinking of trying the JS mod with the hope of being able to disable AMP when viewing 4k 60Hz content. I have read most of the posts on this thread since page 500 and was wondering what JS model number was preferred? 8500? The current firmware on my one connect is 1460 and I think I have the ability to view HDR content as I have downloaded samples and it seemed to work fine (backlight and contrast maxed, UHD color enabled). Thanks!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have a UN55F9000 with the SEK-3500U and was thinking of trying the JS mod with the hope of being able to disable AMP when viewing 4k 60Hz content. I have read most of the posts on this thread since page 500 and was wondering what JS model number was preferred? 8500? The current firmware on my one connect is 1460 and I think I have the ability to view HDR content as I have downloaded samples and it seemed to work fine (backlight and contrast maxed, UHD color enabled). Thanks!
I think most choose JS9000 or JS9500 as the firmware for these models is the same as for the SEK-3500. The firmware for the JS8500 is different than the firmware for the JS9000, JS9500 and the SEK-3500 (same version numbers but different names and file sizes).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think most choose JS9000 or JS9500 as the firmware for these models is the same as for the SEK-3500. The firmware for the JS8500 is different than the firmware for the JS9000, JS9500 and the SEK-3500 (same version numbers but different names and file sizes).
Thanks. I think I will start off with the 9000 and how that works for me.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
That was player002's assessment. I haven't gotten the OTA update, but I showed my brother a clip from the Oblivion UHD (where Cruise enters that cave), and he was floored. I can only imagine how much better HDR may look in that scene after 1461 hits.
Yes but I am not sure on Dynamic meta-data . Could be many things as to why it looks better on my set though but it does. Perhaps dimming got better dunno but it looks better to me.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
I have one and am really looking forward to it. The official release date is next Tuesday, the 27th. The demo looks spectacular but doesn't contain HDR settings, which will be adjustable in the full, retail copy for the One S.

NBA 2K17 also has HDR—the first console game ever to have the feature—but I can't find any professional reviews that mention it or its quality specifically. It supposedly received a day-one HDR update for both PS4 models. which confirms 4K isn't necessary for either console to run it.

This article from a key game director explains how it's being implemented on the regular and Pro versions. Interesting reading, even if you're not a gamer. http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/18/drilling-down-into-ps4-pros-4k-graphics-on-horizon-zero-dawn/
I have played Nba 2k17 hdr improvments are modest. They are not using the full WCG of HDR10 on this game for sure. Yes I can see it but graded poorly like some of the first HDR movies we got.. Now Forza looks incredible I saw it in HDR and wow beautiful.

Reactions: Musician

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Well then I guess you must have missed this post from page 428 posted by moderator @markrubin stating the AVS policy and the fact that you run the risk of voiding your warranty and bricking your set...

Proper AVS Moderator here:

AVS policy is we prefer you NOT post service menu access information: while you may think it is OK, we have a responsibility to not allow unauthorized access to a service menu that could brick your set

we setup some guidelines:

AVS prefers service menu access not be posted: it should be done by PM

if you are considering doing it remember:

-don't unless you are thoroughly familiar with the process
-this display keeps a record of service menu entries: it could void your warranty: and you could brick your set
-if you must do it: write down (or photograph) every screen/every setting

If members can use discretion, it would be best: and please let the Mods speak for themselves. Now please move on.

Happy Holidays :)

Further to that there is no evidence that this hack will provide owners of the F9000 the abilty to access the greyed out Auto Motion Plus setting when viewing 4k 60Hz content.

I have heard of cases that even when members have taken every precaution they have screwed up their sets to the point that they were not able to get back into the Advanced Service Menu to reverse the changes. One of the rare times that guys on this thread had nothing to say about the JS Mod. No doubt, eh!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well then I guess you must have missed this post from page 428 posted by moderator @markrubin stating the AVS policy and the fact that you run the risk of voiding your warranty and bricking your set...

Further to that there is no evidence that this hack will provide owners of the F9000 the abilty to access the greyed out Auto Motion Plus setting when viewing 4k 60Hz content.

I have heard of cases that even when members have taken every precaution they have screwed up their sets to the point that they were not able to get back into the Advanced Service Menu to reverse the changes. One of the rare times that guys on this thread had nothing to say about the JS Mod. No doubt, eh!

I did, yes. As I mentioned, I started at around 500 because I figured that enough time had passed that older information might no longer apply. Still, good information so thanks. I'll have to think if I want to take the chance or not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did anyone here buy their SEK unit used? I'm tempted to buy one used on amazon from a place that has a money back guarantee.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I think the Dynamic metadata maybe got pushed out.. HDR seems better apart from that can't tell any other changes.. Not sure about Dynamic Meta-data but HDR is looking better for me.

Dolby Vision HDR has been confirmed to be a algorithm in P series thread. This means that if Samsung wanted all they need to do is pay fees and can update DV HDR via online.
That's not 100% accurate. Yes, DV is just an algorithm but it does require certain SoC characteristics for it to run which Vizio worked with Dolby to ensure they met the requirements. Unlikely the hardware in the SEK meets those requirements.

I've had 1461.1 for at least a month now and have noticed no difference in HDR performance.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Did anyone here buy their SEK unit used? I'm tempted to buy one used on amazon from a place that has a money back guarantee.

Considering the number of owners on this thread that have had issues with their SEK-3500U even when they have bought a brand new unit like this guy who posted his experiences a few days ago, personally I would rather spend a little more and purchase from a Samsung Authorized Reseller and receive a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

For what it's worth my first new unit purchased off Amazon.ca had a defective VP9 chip and was unable to play any legit 4K YouTube videos. After calling Samsung Support it was only then that I learned that Amazon is NOT an authorized reseller in Canada and they refused to offer any support or to honour the warranty.

Lucky for me I had two HU series televisions and knew all the tricks and was able to prove to the Amazon storefront that the unit was not functioning properly and they allowed me to return it for a full refund.

______________________________​

Who are Samsung's Authorized Resellers?

United States of America

For residents of the United States of America the answer is easy. Visit the following link which currently lists over 70 Internet Resellers and somewhere in the neighbourhood of 800 In Store Resellers:

http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmind/authorized_resellers.html

Canada

Unfortunately for Canadians the answer is not so simple. To make things even more difficult, Samsung Canada site does not provide a list like our US neighbours.

What I would suggest to my fellow Canadians is if in doubt, go into the Samsung Canada website and find the product you are considering purchasing. Click on WHERE TO BUY. In most cases it will bring up a map that you can enter your postal code and then it will display the closest authorized resellers where you can BUY LOCAL along with another tab displaying where you can BUY ONLINE. However not all products return search results so make sure that whoever you buy yours from displays a logo that resembles the following:

If all else fails visit a brick and mortar in your locale who can likely bring one of these in for you or, as a last resort, phone Samsung Support and see if they can help you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks Musician. Yeah thats why I asked, I see alot of people with issues on here. I would love to save over 100$ but it might not be worth the risk of buying used or refurbished.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Someone has wondered if the last firmware update gave the SEK3500 dynamic HDR as he claims that he see a better HDR picture. I have not noticed an improved HDR picture with the last update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol man.

Dynamic HDR10 must be graded scene to scene. Tools for this aren't even available yet to filmmakers to do such a thing. The hdr10 system requires an overhaul of its program.

Anything graded as static hdr10 is stuck as static hdr10 forever unless a new grade is released.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
Lol man.

Dynamic HDR10 must be graded scene to scene. Tools for this aren't even available yet to filmmakers to do such a thing. The hdr10 system requires an overhaul of its program.

Anything graded as static hdr10 is stuck as static hdr10 forever unless a new grade is released.
Lots of HDR are mastered in Dolby vision(fox movies) and converted to hdr10 . They could use the grading Dynamic meta-data of Dolby and apply it HDR10 when it allows dynamic metadata .They already have info for scene to scene all is needed is edid info to see what set is capable off and then adjust. Really not that hard to do as files already exsist for certain movies.. Some movies and shows have 2 version of hdr DV and HDR10 not gunna be hard once they get license to get the DV hdr info and apply it to HDR10.. Somebody correct me if wrong.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I saw this on the JS9500 forum:
>>
UPDATE FROM SAMSUNG HQ ON NETFLIX APP HDR SUPPORT:

I received the following response to my request for an update:

"In order to play Netflix HDR content, it is required that the device is HDR capable and has the NRDP version 4.2. Since Our KS / KU devices shipped with NRDP 4.2, Netflix HDR is already available on those devices (since April when Netflix launched their HDR service).

For JS / JU models, they have been certified as NRDP 4.1 so we need to upgrade them to NRDP 4.2 and pass the Netflix certification. Dev team is working on this and OTN will be released by late November ~ early December."

Reactions: sikclown

·
Registered
91 Posts
I saw this on the JS9500 forum:
>>
UPDATE FROM SAMSUNG HQ ON NETFLIX APP HDR SUPPORT:

I received the following response to my request for an update:

"In order to play Netflix HDR content, it is required that the device is HDR capable and has the NRDP version 4.2. Since Our KS / KU devices shipped with NRDP 4.2, Netflix HDR is already available on those devices (since April when Netflix launched their HDR service).

For JS / JU models, they have been certified as NRDP 4.1 so we need to upgrade them to NRDP 4.2 and pass the Netflix certification. Dev team is working on this and OTN will be released by late November ~ early December."

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well it says "JS / HU models" right in the response so i'm assuming so. I'm wondering if this will apply for the 2014 HU sets!
You mean "...JS / JU models..." :)

The Samsung/HU/Netflix HDR question has been "Will they or won't they" for the longest time. I'm guessing this upgrade may also be required for HDR in the Amazon TV app as well, although that feature is available on the K8500 UHD player. My money is on the player getting NRDP 4.2 before the TV app(s) do, as many members have speculated. Another mystery is whether or not this 4.2 update was ever part of/planned for the September OTA update (if that's still happening). If so, maybe the whole shebang will be wrapped in an early Christmas gift?

Meanwhile, this is NOT the best news to come across regarding the PS4 and HDR streaming support: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/09/ps4-hdr-no-games-media-useless/

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
For as long as I have owned this set, I've always kept the brightness level at 45 for all content. For most content this has worked well.

From time to time, I noticed that some content looked too dark, almost like "black crush" but didn't start investigating until recently.

Turned out to be simple. Any YCbCr limited range signal fed to the TV looked fine and passed the blinking brightness test at 45 brightness.

However, any RGB limited range signal was too dark at 45 brightness and needed to be bumped up 47/48 to pass the brightness test. This higher brightness also applied to RGB 444 PC full rage mode.

So, for any devices I have that output RGB I now bump the brightness up to 47/48 and the picture detail now looks great. (Xbox One, PS4, Amazon Fire TV, PC, etc.)
I noticed the same thing with my nVidia Shield TV when the output is set to RGB Full.

You guys might want to check your HDMI Black Level setting. In most circumstances it would be greyed out except when receiving an RGB signal which needs to be set accordingly depending on what is being fed to your display.

________________________________________​

Why is the HDMI Black Level setting greyed out?

The HDMI Black Level setting is only applicable to RGB input otherwise it will be greyed out. The 'Low' setting is for video level RGB [16-235] which would generally be used for video components. The 'Normal' setting is for PC level RGB [0-255].

If you select the wrong setting, you will have either "washed out" blacks (i.e. grey) or "black crush" where you lose shadow detail.

For more on the topic...

http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

In Samsung terms RGB Limited is the equivalent of the Low setting whereas RGB Full would use the Normal setting.

To avoid any confusion, since our TV's are fully capable of YCbCr it is generally preferable to send it a YCbCr signal rather than RGB unless your device does not provide this setting (e.g. computers; some game consoles).

Tip: As a general rule of thumb if you have your game console such as an Nvidea Shield or an XBox One S configured to output RGB Full then the TV's HDMI Black Level should be set to Normal (0-255) for that input. On the other hand if you have it configured to output RGB Limited then the HDMI Black Level should be set to Low (16-235) for that input.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Any Brightness level above 45, negates the Back Light from Functioning correctly.

18821 - 18840 of 24027 Posts