AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 5364 Posts

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
I just wanted to send my thanks to you for the calibration settings for the P75. I'm loving it!

I'm curious if you have played around with a sports setting at all? I have Comcast and hockey and NBA have a lot of what I guess is judder for player movement and of course a lot of noise around the players especially NBA. I'm sure a lot of the noise is probably do to the truck they are piping their signal from. Network shows like Fallon look great.

Should I turn on 'Reduce Signal Noise' and 'Reduce Block Noise'? I'm still at Reduce Judder: 1 and Reduce Motion Blur: 10. Changing these two doesn't seem to make much of a difference on the player movement judder.

I have also tried outputting from the Comcast box at 1080p/60 and 1080/p30. I can't tell any difference. Oh yeah, I have only tried HDMI input 5 on the P75.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this has already been covered. Thanks.
You welcome and thanks for writing about it....

I watched Hockey on Sunday on NBC I think it was. Looked fantastic and I didn't experience any studder. I'm also going into HDMI-5 but I'm getting mine thru an OTA antenna and I have all my channels Native. So NBC was at 1080i and I let the Display handle the up-scaling. Yes, Reduce Block Noise works with HDMI-5 and I can see it does help on Low and Medium without softening the image.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Remember that Matt mentioned that they did some work on the Sharpness setting to better edge enhancement. So I've been sort of struggling with the sharpness setting, trying to find the right setting. Turns out 19 is perfect for blu-ray, but have yet to find a setting for Directv I like. Right now I have it 15.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for the 55 Cal details @DisplayCalNoob I haven't watched a lot yet but what I see is markedly better. And it's only been DirecTV! The Night Manager pilot (recorded) was awesome last night.
Much appreciated!

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
That is completely normal......you are used to watching a cooler color temp or bluer. The yellowish color you are seeing is the proper color temp that they master movies to and what any calibrater would calibrate the TV to.....just give it sometime and you will get used to it.....but ultimately use what you like because it is your set.
Hi folks, I've had my P65 for two weeks now and my family loves it. I tried out the basic calibration patterns on the AVS HD 709 DVD and found that the "standard" default picture mode was perfect!

While I do see some slight screen non-uniformity in the corners and some slight discoloration in small areas, I never see it with real world materials (blu-ray, games, Netflix). So I'm happy for now, when I have more time, I will adopt some of the settings posted here as an experiment.

My previous TV was a JVC 56" DLP and the P65 has been an incredible improvement in every way: size, brightness/darkness, and color with all of our upscaled HD SDR material.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Cool, I'll post graph images when I get a chance to rerun all sweeps.
I don't think anyone has yet to check what the 'native' contrast ratio of the IPS panel is.
Since you'll be posting graphs, it should take you just a moment to run the contrast test with FALD off to satisfy our curiosity. :)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Thanks for the 55 Cal details @DisplayCalNoob I haven't watched a lot yet but what I see is markedly better. And it's only been DirecTV! The Night Manager pilot (recorded) was awesome last night.
Much appreciated!

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
Your welcome, I'm still trying to find the best sharpness setting for Directv. Blu-ray with sharpness at 19 is just jaw dropping, so much detail without a hint of edge enhancement.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I watched Hockey on Sunday on NBC I think it was. Looked fantastic and I didn't experience any studder. I'm also going into HDMI-5 but I'm getting mine thru an OTA antenna and I have all my channels Native. So NBC was at 1080i and I let the Display handle the up-scaling. Yes, Reduce Block Noise works with HDMI-5 and I can see it does help on Low and Medium without softening the image.
Shoman94, your 4/30 calibrations are the most current right? I get my 65in tomorrow. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Your welcome, I'm still trying to find the best sharpness setting for Directv. Blu-ray with sharpness at 19 is just jaw dropping, so much detail without a hint of edge enhancement.
I second Furyus's comments. I plugged your numbers in last night, and it looks good on my P55, though I haven't tested a lot of content yet. I'm still trying to find a sharpness setting that works well for Comcast. I'm currently at 10, but would like to go up some.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I played around with it last night watching the Sharks on CNBCHD over Comcast. Good grief the game action camera feeds were atrocious. Reduce Block Noise at medium looked better. I had to go to zero on Reduce Motion Blur and Reduce Judder. The player movement is now smooth and not stepping. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
I played around with it last night watching the Sharks on CNBCHD over Comcast. Good grief the game action camera feeds were atrocious. Reduce Block Noise at medium looked better. I had to go to zero on Reduce Motion Blur and Reduce Judder. The player movement is now smooth and not stepping. Thanks again!
Good to hear this helped!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I second Furyus's comments. I plugged your numbers in last night, and it looks good on my P55, though I haven't tested a lot of content yet. I'm still trying to find a sharpness setting that works well for Comcast. I'm currently at 10, but would like to go up some.
Right now, I have Directv at 15 sharpness. I've been considering trying 25-30.

·
Registered
22 Posts
David Katzmaier of CNET has reviewed the P-Series and posted his settings for the P-65 without any changes to the 11-point white balance. I'm too new to post the link.

·
Registered
22 Posts
David Katzmaier of CNET has reviewed the P-Series and posted his settings for the P-65 without any changes to the 11-point white balance. I'm too new to post the link.
Here is a copy and paste:
Display Settings, Picture menu:

Picture Mode: Calibrated Dark*
Backlight: 20
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 50
Sharpness: 0
Tint: 0

Color Temperature: Normal*
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On (toggle right)
Reduce Judder: 1
Reduce Motion Blur: 10
Clear Action: Off (toggle left)
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Game Low Latency: Off (toggle left)
Picture Size: [no change]
Picture Position: [no change]
Film Mode: Auto
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.4

Color Calibration menu:
Picture Mode: Calibrated Dark*
Color Temperature: Normal*

Color Tuner menu:
Primary Color Enabled menu: [no change; all toggle right]
Hue: (Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0, Cyan -14, Magenta 0, Yellow 4)
Saturation: (all colors 0)
Brightness: (Red 0, Green 0, Blue 10, Cyan 0, Magenta 0, Yellow 0)
Offset: (Red 0, Green 0, Blue 1)
Gain: (Red 0, Green 0, Blue 6)

11-point White Balance menu: [no change]

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
Remember that Matt mentioned that they did some work on the Sharpness setting to better edge enhancement. So I've been sort of struggling with the sharpness setting, trying to find the right setting. Turns out 19 is perfect for blu-ray, but have yet to find a setting for Directv I like. Right now I have it 15.
Actually what he said was that sharpness wasn't as strong as it used to be......so 20 now is not nearly as strong as what 20 was on the last P series, but it still adds sharpness. He also said that he prefers no sharpness on his set or maybe 1 or 2 clicks.......or slides.......or whatever you call it now....haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can anyone help me with the picture settings on my new 55" Vizio P series?

While watching this Sunday's Game of Thrones episode I was shocked at how poor the picture looked. I adjusted settings, which made SOME scenes look better, but then others suffered. My basic problem is this: bright scenes don't seem as vivid as they should and dark scenes seem to have two settings, washed out or pitch black. When I watched the same episode on my $100 LCD computer monitor every scene looked fantastic. I'm a complete novice at this stuff but after changing picture settings over and over (following the suggested levels in this thread) I still can't get the picture on my Vizio to look good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

601 - 620 of 5364 Posts