AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 5370 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
@pcb
Unless you're connected to a PC (or your player) and it's set to Full RGB, you should leave it on YCbCr.
You said you dropped blue down to -50, but you haven't mentioned which control you tweaked.
Not sure what you mean. Per my post above I adjusted blue to -50 in the 60%-100% patterns and still had too much blue. Below that I had to adjust blue between -30 to -45 to tame it.

May explain why light backgrounds (skies, ice) have seemed a bit washed out. Thought it was just a contrast or brightness issue or source. But maybe its the fact that the set is pushing too much blue.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
You first have to do the 2-point (gain/offset controls) calibration using 80% and 20% or there about patterns to get the greyscale flat, after you've got that done you can continue to playing with the 11-point system to fine tune greyscale and gamma.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
You first have to do the 2-point (gain/offset controls) calibration using 80% and 20% or there about patterns to get the greyscale flat, after you've got that done you can continue to playing with the 11-point system to fine tune greyscale and gamma.
I don't see a 2 pt adjustment in the P series? Or is that the gain/offset controls in the Color Tuner/CMS option?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Look at the 'Color Tuner' screen. Below the CMS controls (hue, saturation and brightness) you'll have Gain and Offset, that's your 2-point system.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
So that makes more sense now. Here are the settings:

Calibrated Dark:
Backlight = 10 (Y at 120)
Brightness/Contrast = 50
Color = 50
Sharpness = 1
Tint = 0
Color Temp = Normal
Judder = 1
Blur = 10
Gamma = 2.2

Offset:
Red -5
Green 0
Blue -5

Gain:
Red -5
Green 0
Blue -34

11pt
10% R 2 G 0 B -8
20% R 0 G 0 B 0
30% R 6 G 0 B 3
40% R 0 G 0 B 4
50% R 0 G 0 B 0
60% R 0 G 0 B -4
70% R 2 G 0 B -3
80% R 0 G 0 B -6
90% R 0 G 0 B -2
100% R0 G 0 B -4

Left the CMS controls alone as the DE for all colors were fairly decent out of the box and I thought I had red the CMS with Vizio's can be a bit finicky.

Reports (turned FALD back on to measure final):

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,828

Calibrated Dark:
Brightness/Contrast = 50
Color = 50
Sharpness = 1
Tint = 0
Color Temp = Normal
Judder = 1
Blur = 10
Gamma = 2.2

Offset:
Red -5
Green 0
Blue -5

Gain:
Red -5
Green 0
Blue -34

11pt
10% R 2 G 0 B -8
20% R 0 G 0 B 0
30% R 6 G 0 B 3
40% R 0 G 0 B 4
50% R 0 G 0 B 0
60% R 0 G 0 B -4
70% R 2 G 0 B -3
80% R 0 G 0 B -6
90% R 0 G 0 B -2
100% R0 G 0 B -4

Left the CMS controls alone as the DE for all colors were fairly decent out of the box and I thought I had red the CMS with Vizio's can be a bit finicky.

Thoughts?
Much improved! About what I had also with Gain and Offset. What size is this so I can update post 1?

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
P65. Though I will likely go back and adjust the gamma curve a bit.. Maybe it is flat enough?

Still may return the set due to pretty bad DSE on sports and the left and right side colour shift (easily seen on that farm Sim game bit also noticeable with green fields in soccer/baseball/football to a lesser extent).

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have thought about that myself. I have still been putting it dead center though.
I gave it a go this morning and went a little off centre, just to the right. A little bit of a difference in the gray scale and colors. More so with gray scale.

On a side note, I tried your settings for the hell of it. They look ok to the naked eye, brought my dE gray scale down from 9.83 to 3.29. Colors temp and RGB levels also improved. Better but far from perfect with my P65. I guess it's a good example of why using someone else's calibration settings can help ... But not recommended if looking for true accuracy.

I made a mistake though and it turned out to work for the best. After i tried your settings i left color at 45 when I calibrated. Calibrated much easier and i was able to get the colors more accurate. Some of this may be due to the change in sensor position, but I think dropping the overall color helped as well ... Thank you!

Regarding calibrating centre or off centre. I recommend going off centre if a yellow band is running down the centre.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,831
I gave it a go this morning and went a little off centre, just to the right. A little bit of a difference in the gray scale and colors. More so with gray scale.

On a side note, I tried your settings for the hell of it. They look ok to the naked eye, brought my dE gray scale down from 9.83 to 3.29. Colors temp and RGB levels also improved. Better but far from perfect with my P65. I guess it's a good example of why using someone else's calibration settings can help ... But not recommended if looking for true accuracy.

I made a mistake though and it turned out to work for the best. After i tried your settings i left color at 45 when I calibrated. Calibrated much easier and i was able to get the colors more accurate. Some of this may be due to the change in sensor position, but I think dropping the overall color helped as well ... Thank you!

Regarding calibrating centre or off centre. I recommend going off centre if a yellow band is running down the centre.
I should mention that I calibrated to 2.2 gamma also instead of BT.1886 so that would throw off your measurements also after inputting mine. I am curious has to how they translate on another device with a meter.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@pcb
That looks great. I don't know what software you are using, but I recommend to do the 5% step as well. In HCFR and Calman you can set the number of steps, thus allowing the software to take readings of 5% as well, I'm sure that what you are using probably has this too.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
@pcb
That looks great. I don't know what software you are using, but I recommend to do the 5% step as well. In HCFR and Calman you can set the number of steps, thus allowing the software to take readings of 5% as well, I'm sure that what you are using probably has this too.
Thanks, ChromaPure 2.0 is what I'm using. Oddly I did try selecting "use 5% increments" in the options menu for grey scale, but it didn't do anything.

BTW, when folks speak to "calibrating gamma to 1886 or 2.22", are they simply adjusting green to get to the target Y value and then adjusting Blue and Red accordingly? I.e., effectively do the 2 pt grey scale, then adjust the various patterns to get to a target gamma by first adjusting green?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
BT.1886 has a different gamma slope. There are multiple variables which affect it, but it's there.
The rule of thumb is, the higher the contrast ratio of a display (as in the deeper the black level can reach) the closer a BT.1886 gamma slope will be to a power law gamma (a flat graph).
I personally prefer BT.1886 as it helps display dark objects better in dark scenes where otherwise they would probably just blend in with the background. But I have a 2015 M55, I'm not sure how different the P series would look in similar conditions.

·
Banned
138 Posts

Calibrated Dark:
Brightness/Contrast = 50
Color = 50
Sharpness = 1
Tint = 0
Color Temp = Normal
Judder = 1
Blur = 10
Gamma = 2.2

Offset:
Red -5
Green 0
Blue -5

Gain:
Red -5
Green 0
Blue -34

11pt
10% R 2 G 0 B -8
20% R 0 G 0 B 0
30% R 6 G 0 B 3
40% R 0 G 0 B 4
50% R 0 G 0 B 0
60% R 0 G 0 B -4
70% R 2 G 0 B -3
80% R 0 G 0 B -6
90% R 0 G 0 B -2
100% R0 G 0 B -4

Thoughts?
I used your settings as I have tried most for the p65 that people have posted on here and have been using rtings settings because they are the best at masking the dse on my set. I did notice an issue on my set for the first time while using your settings. The right side of my display has a distinct yellow hue to it and the right has either a normal/reddish hue to it. Can't tell if is red, or normal on the right die to the left side being so yellow basically from the center yellow band over. Looks like I will be exchanging my set with Vizio. I was trying to hold out until they possible fixed the yellow banding issue but the color difference between the screen sides is very noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,837
Updated color settings. Moved color back to 50 for both and Calibrated from there. Results are great. Also just have calibration for DV and not HDR10. Vizio is coming out with a firmware to make better use of HDR10 and UHD Discs soon so I will visit that at a later time. I have recently sold my UHD Player though and I don't know when I will get another. I found Dolby Vision to be alot better than HDR10.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Updated color settings. Moved color back to 50 for both and Calibrated from there. Results are great. Also just have calibration for DV and not HDR10. Vizio is coming out with a firmware to make better use of HDR10 and UHD Discs soon so I will visit that at a later time. I have recently sold my UHD Player though and I don't know when I will get another. I found Dolby Vision to be alot better than HDR10.
Can P-55 owners use your settings or do you not recommend that? I don't see any calibration updates for the newest software.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here is my Dolby Vision Calibration for the P65-C1. You want to leave Backlight, Brightness, and Contrast all at default. Report Below..........Enjoy!
Picture Mode: Calibrated Dark
Auto Brightness Control: Off
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--More Picture---
Color temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Reduce Judder: 1
Reduce Motion Blur: 10
Clear Action: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Game Low Latency: Off
Picture Size: [no change]
Picture Position: [no change]
Film Mode: Auto
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

---Color Calibration---

Offset
Red: 0
Green: 0
Blue: 0

Gain
Red: 1
Green: 0
Blue: -8

11-point
5%: 50, 42, 50
10%: 23, 20, 20
20%: 11, 16, 3
30%: 10, 10, -5
40%: 5, 5, -12
50%: -2, 6, -22
60%: -12, 5, -27
70%: -8, 0, -33
80%: -14, -4, -44
90%: -16, -3, -45
100%: -13, 3, -46

CMS:
[Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow]
Hue: 4, -3, 7, -3, 0, 0
Saturation: -4, -13, -8, -28, 0, 0
Brightness: -7, 0, 0, 17, 0, 0

@beardontwalk123

Should I be copying the 11 point and CMS? and weren't the above settings for HDR? have you recently changed them to dolby?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not for nut'in folks, but to those posting only settings, which are of dubious value anyway, I would be much more interested in your max and average d2000s that the fact that your red hue is "-2" or whatever.

To wit... P50-C1 SDR calibration, first pass:

LD on. S&M Benchmark2 source patterns via Oppo.

These are crazy good results for a kilobuck TV! I did find CMS of blue and Cyan in particular a little fussy and overly interactive. Hope to tighten them up even further on subsequent passes but even as is they are all nicely tucked under a 1.0 error. Also need to customize my workflow to add the 5% which will probably tighten up the lower end of the eotf (I hope).

Dolby Vision calibration to follow shortly.

1821 - 1840 of 5370 Posts