AVS Forum banner

21821 - 21840 of 28896 Posts

·
Vendor
27,146 Posts
LG55C6
Getting my replacement TV tomorrow because of the banding I was having, this TV was checked by the customer service tech guy who also was at my home and saw the issue, he said the TV I'll get is free of banding with 0 hour of use. I hope there won't be other issues like in 3D or Colour Filters , or Colours like some people had here.
Because on the current TV the 3D is great and everything works just banding issue. I also hope it's not updated to the newest version ........ the TV I got was with 4.31.10 , didn't need to update .
Good thing they have the parts or you may have to loose 3D or live with what you have.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
B6P PQ Issues

same here
I am experiencing an issue on my 65B6P as was mentioned in this prior post.

The problem is kind of weird. Most times the set will start up with a dim display and PQ is rather poor. I say most times because on a few occasions the display would be awesome and PQ terrific on start up. This happens on all inputs. In other words if the TV starts up with a dim display it is dim across all inputs.

I placed a service call with LG and they have come out to look at the TV. They swapped out the main board as the technician called it but that did not fix the problem.

I have since placed another service call to LG. The technician called me back and claims there is northing else he can do to resolve the issue. I'm annoyed like crazy at their position on this repair.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena that could possibly provide some insight? Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

The problem is kind of weird. Most times the set will start up with a dim display and PQ is rather poor. I say most times because on a few occasions the display would be awesome and PQ terrific on start up. This happens on all inputs. In other words if the TV starts up with a dim display it is dim across all inputs.

I placed a service call with LG and they have come out to look at the TV. They swapped out the main board as the technician called it but that did not fix the problem.

I have since placed another service call to LG. The technician called me back and claims there is northing else he can do to resolve the issue. I'm annoyed like crazy at their position on this repair.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena that could possibly provide some insight? Thanks in advance.

John
I haven't, but if the TV is still under warranty, they should replace the TV - that would be something they could do to resolve the issue.

Shot in the dark here, but do you have Energy Saving turned on? It's supposed to work on an ambient light sensor and dim the TV accordingly. We had an old CRT that had an ambient light sensor that became defective and would provide a very dim picture unless we turned off the dynamic dimming feature.

·
Registered
140 Posts

I placed a service call with LG and they have come out to look at the TV. They swapped out the main board as the technician caled it but that did not fix the problem.

John

My B6 dims the screen after a short interval when I pause my Tivo on a still frame. After I resume playback, the screen returns to normal. Could this be the auto dimming circuit failing to realize it has live video again?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A few month owner of a OLED55C6P here. I have an older Dolby/DTS surround sound receiver that doesn't have HDMI. My question is what does the audio optical output of my new set pass-through. Does it only pass-through Dolby Digital for over the air broadcasts as a lot of sets do? Will it output Dolby Digital for apps? Does it support DTS at all on optical? How about USB connected devices? My guess is everything but OTA will be stereo only but I could be wrong. I'm asking because my set-up is nightmare to change cables. Thanks in advance.
Optical passes DD and DTS for everything. OTA, Apps, and other connected devices.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my AVR using Optical only. C6 does support DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 over optical, but not HD audio.
Applies to all inputs (TV tuner, HDMI, in built apps).
Optical passes DD and DTS for everything. OTA, Apps, and other connected devices.

Thank you both. I'm surprised that optical does pass thru DD and DTS for everything. I guess it's time to stand on my head and swap out some cables even though I'm not looking forward to it. :eek:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Let me first say that I'm really loving this set! It delivers kick-ass PQ on both HD and UHD content. With gaming also, the recent update has really sucked me right back into finishing my backlog that had input lags before.

The only concern that I have is still the color banding. Some content it's non-existent while in others it's more pronounced. This is during the near black scenes.

Before I have played around with various settings but now I've settled back with the default. I have a small ceiling light that I have to turn on (it creates reflections, yes) so that I wouldn't be able to notice the horrible banding and noise during near black scenes.

Questions:
- Are there certain settings that can help with the banding and the horrible PQ on near black scenes?
- Can placing an ambient light behind the OLED help with this problem? It did help me before with LCDs/LEDs that had inferior black levels.

Thank you guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't, but if the TV is still under warranty, they should replace the TV - that would be something they could do to resolve the issue.

Shot in the dark here, but do you have Energy Saving turned on? It's supposed to work on an ambient light sensor and dim the TV accordingly. We had an old CRT that had an ambient light sensor that became defective and would provide a very dim picture unless we turned off the dynamic dimming feature.
Thanks for the response.

I always run the TV with Energy Savings turned off.

The LG tech made a statement that I am costing LG a lot of money by placing service calls and that parts swaps were expensive to the company. This guy will not even think about a whole TV replacement.

What bothers me is I have lived with this set for 9 months now. I know when the display is looking its best and when its not. The tech may have looked at it a total of 5 minutes and may have decided that it looks OK to him. As a side note he said he watches a lot of the SyFy channel which is usually in black and white if so maybe that's his problem. I don't know.

This much I do know...Never again an LG TV product for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I always run the TV with Energy Savings turned off.

The LG tech made a statement that I am costing LG a lot of money by placing service calls and that parts swaps were expensive to the company. This guy will not even think about a whole TV replacement.

What bothers me is I have lived with this set for 9 months now. I know when the display is looking its best and when its not. The tech may have looked at it a total of 5 minutes and may have decided that it looks OK to him. As a side note he said he watches a lot of the SyFy channel which is usually in black and white if so maybe that's his problem. I don't know.

This much I do know...Never again an LG TV product for me.

Thanks.
It almost sounds like ABSL is somehow stuck on due to a software glitch. You could always try disabling it in the service menu and see if that solves the issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It almost sounds like ABSL is somehow stuck on due to a software glitch. You could always try disabling it in the service menu and see if that solves the issue.

It's ASBL that we can disable right? Not ABL? How do we disable ASBL in the service menu?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yea ABSL can be disabled.

You either need a service remote or you can use an Android phone that has IR capabilities (like some of the older Galaxies).

Ok I've got the Service Remote. Where do I go once I'm in the service menu?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I hate double dipping and rarely do it, if ever, but do you think it would be worth it going from 2015 blu ray of 5th element made from the 4K negative, to the 4K UHD version from the 4K negative?

Reading av reviews people say they couldn’t imagine a higher quality film visually but that the UHD version has outdone itself. But same reviewers are people that bought DVD, crap first run blu ray, remaster, 4K 2015, and UHD

So i dunno

But definitely tempted, I love this movie.

Tempted by Leon The Professional too, but not as much that one I can wait on since its a simpler movie visually

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I hate double dipping and rarely do it, if ever, but do you think it would be worth it going from 2015 blu ray of 5th element made from the 4K negative, to the 4K UHD version from the 4K negative?

Reading av reviews people say they couldn’t imagine a higher quality film visually but that the UHD version has outdone itself. But same reviewers are people that bought DVD, crap first run blu ray, remaster, 4K 2015, and UHD

So i dunno

But definitely tempted, I love this movie.

Tempted by Leon The Professional too, but not as much that one I can wait on since its a simpler movie visually
I honestly believe that it is worth the price of admission for a number of reasons. The visual quality is much improved, though the natural grain from the film to digital conversion is visible. The implementation of HDR really improves the visual quality and adds visual pop to numerous scenes. The increased color volume with HDR really shines on Flaustin, the car chase scene, and Opera scenes. The visual upgrade is, in a word, stunning. Now if all of this were not enough to convince you of the upgrade here is one more point. If you have atmos speakers setup, the atmos track is absolutely astounding. It is wonderfully immersive and decent upgrade from the standard HD audio track.

Just make sure you get the 20th Anniversary addition and not the earlier UHD release.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I honestly believe that it is worth the price of admission for a number of reasons. The visual quality is much improved, though the natural grain from the film to digital conversion is visible. The implementation of HDR really improves the visual quality and adds visual pop to numerous scenes. The increased color volume with HDR really shines on Flaustin, the car chase scene, and Opera scenes. The visual upgrade is, in a word, stunning. Now if all of this were not enough to convince you of the upgrade here is one more point. If you have atmos speakers setup, the atmos track is absolutely astounding. It is wonderfully immersive and decent upgrade from the standard HD audio track.

Just make sure you get the 20th Anniversary addition and not the earlier UHD release.
Awesome thanks i dont have Atmos setup, receiver or speakers

I actually have optical so limited to DTS/5.1 DD with my Andrew Jones 5.1 and receiver, but one day maybe!

I’m also tempted to pay another $3 and pick up he beautiful steel book Best Buy exclusive (the art work looks AMAZING) vs the generic 4K UHD boxa art version

...Just curious if you own Professional UHD version or did the double dip on that one as well?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Awesome thanks i dont have Atmos setup, receiver or speakers

I actually have optical so limited to DTS/5.1 DD with my Andrew Jones 5.1 and receiver, but one day maybe!

I’m also tempted to pay another $3 and pick up he beautiful steel book Best Buy exclusive (the art work looks AMAZING) vs the generic 4K UHD boxa art version

...Just curious if you own Professional UHD version or did the double dip on that one as well?
Despite my love of The Professional, I don't have any copies of that movie, not even VHS or DVD. :(

·
Registered
748 Posts
Despite my love of The Professional, I don't have any copies of that movie, not even VHS or DVD. :(
Gotcha, and oh man, get on it even if you can find the 1080p blu ray from 4K master in the bargain bin at this point,

I think I’m going to pick up steelbook UHD Fifth ELement sometime today (the box art for the 2015 1080 from 4K master is really bad imo too)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yea ABSL can be disabled.

You either need a service remote or you can use an Android phone that has IR capabilities (like some of the older Galaxies).

Could someone guide me to where I can find the info to program my harmony remote to access the service menu. Would really appreciate it. TIA

21821 - 21840 of 28896 Posts