21841 - 21860 of 28896 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Turning off ABSL sounds... scary , no?

By the way i picked up UHD 5th element steelbook, will watch tonight!
As long as your device has a screen saver that kicks in within a reasonable amount of time it's not an issue. All ABSL does is essentially act like a pseudo screen saver.

I turned it off to make calibration quicker and because it was kicking on for certain static scenes in some movies.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I upgraded from a 2015 Onkyo receiver when I found out it didn't support DV and have no regrets. The first time watching Pacific Rim in DV was mindblowing. :)
The new receiver I'm getting tomorrow will get a DV update some time between fall and spring, but until then I'll just use the double HDMI cable solution (one to tv for video, one to receiver for audio). I mainly needed the receiver for HDR10 support because my PS4 currently needs to be connected directly to the TV, so I only have ARC for sound, limited to standard DD/DTS if I want surround sound, with a slight extra lag as well. I was originally looking at a refurbished Denon AVR-S720W, but noticed I could get a refurbished AVR-X1300W for only a little bit more, and that one would eventually have a DV update while the first wouldn't, so I went with that.

Couldn't afford anything brand new.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The new receiver I'm getting tomorrow will get a DV update some time between fall and spring, but until then I'll just use the double HDMI cable solution (one to tv for video, one to receiver for audio). I mainly needed the receiver for HDR10 support because my PS4 currently needs to be connected directly to the TV, so I only have ARC for sound, limited to standard DD/DTS if I want surround sound, with a slight extra lag as well. I was originally looking at a refurbished Denon AVR-S720W, but noticed I could get a refurbished AVR-X1300W for only a little bit more, and that one would eventually have a DV update while the first wouldn't, so I went with that.

Couldn't afford anything brand new.
All 2015 and 2016 Denon models (unsure about the S510) get the DV update. Including my S710. Already been confirmed by jdsmoothie.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
All 2015 and 2016 Denon models except for maybe the S510 get the DV update. Including my S710. Already been confirmed by jdsmoothie.
Ah well, google didn't give me that information at the time (this is what I found when searching). Well anyway the one I got also had a few other differences including MultEQ XT vs standard MultEQ.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I always run the TV with Energy Savings turned off.

The LG tech made a statement that I am costing LG a lot of money by placing service calls and that parts swaps were expensive to the company. This guy will not even think about a whole TV replacement.

What bothers me is I have lived with this set for 9 months now. I know when the display is looking its best and when its not. The tech may have looked at it a total of 5 minutes and may have decided that it looks OK to him. As a side note he said he watches a lot of the SyFy channel which is usually in black and white if so maybe that's his problem. I don't know.

This much I do know...Never again an LG TV product for me.

Thanks.
Keep pushing them and if they don't budge, I would threaten legal action. Sometimes, that works.

It almost sounds like ABSL is somehow stuck on due to a software glitch. You could always try disabling it in the service menu and see if that solves the issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I've confirmed a random software glitch (not ABSL related) with our B6. Sometimes, switching aspect ratio does not work, either through quick menu or main menu. Other times, it does. When it doesn't, turning off the TV for several seconds, and back on, fixes it.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes the local dimming of static logos works, and sometimes, it doesn't. Same content. Weird.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In searching for how to enter the service menu I came across this. There's actually a petition about it: https://www.change.org/p/lg-electronics-lg-allow-oled-tv-owners-to-turn-off-dimming?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=79500409&j=113826&sfmc_sub=365379615&l=32_HTML&u=22325214&mid=7233052&jb=291335

I have an up to date version of Windows 10. A search in regedit does not turn up OLEDTaskBar.

I'll bet there's something on change.org about the HDR gaming issue too.

I don't know where rtings.com was when I was researching this TV, but they have terrific detail on their review. the C7 sure looks nice.:)
I found a LG Service remote (MKJ39170828) on eBay for $11.00. The "In Start" button and the passcode 0413 got me in.

ASBL does not appear anywhere, but there is a "Dimming" setting. I turned that off, but the problem persists :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
I found a LG Service remote (MKJ39170828) on eBay for $11.00. The "In Start" button and the passcode 0413 got me in.

ASBL does not appear anywhere, but there is a "Dimming" setting. I turned that off, but the problem persists :(

Don’t change that setting.

Go down to #13 and change the setting TPC Enable to off.

Press In start again to exit.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Keep pushing them and if they don't budge, I would threaten legal action. Sometimes, that works.

I've confirmed a random software glitch (not ABSL related) with our B6. Sometimes, switching aspect ratio does not work, either through quick menu or main menu. Other times, it does. When it doesn't, turning off the TV for several seconds, and back on, fixes it.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes the local dimming of static logos works, and sometimes, it doesn't. Same content. Weird.
There are a number of software bugs, for example often when i start YouTube sound output switches to lg optical sound sync to just optical...strange.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Don't think it does anything on Oled.
The LG Oleds share the same firmware with some of LGs edge-lit LCD TVs. I would assume it's the local dimming for these LCD TVs.
Have you been able to confirm this with your set? If it doesn't do anything on OLED, it's strange that the option would be set to "On" in the menu (the one AVSer turned it off).

I'm just curious if this "dimming" option in the service menu actually controls the local dimming of static logos/elements.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Have you been able to confirm this with your set? If it doesn't do anything on OLED, it's strange that the option would be set to "On" in the menu (the one AVSer turned it off).

I'm just curious if this "dimming" option in the service menu actually controls the local dimming of static logos/elements.
Well nevermind, what I said previously isn't true. I just tried turning 'dimming' off in the service menu and what it does is locking your oled-light at 100, the slider no longer has any effect.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
That is incorrect. I have my Harmony Elite programmed and can access service menu.

Under devices, you need to use model #47LE5300-UC

Service Pin should be 0413
Thank you very much

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
As near as I can tell, the acronym ASBL has never appeared anywhere other than the avsforum, and on these forums, no one has ever done more than speculate on what ASBL might actually stand for :).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
As near as I can tell, the acronym ASBL has never appeared anywhere other than the avsforum, and on these forums, no one has ever done more than speculate on what ASBL might actually stand for :).
ASBL=Automatic Static Image Brightness Limiter

I know this because I invented the acronym. I also invented the Internet! :D

Reactions: Bleeding Edge
21841 - 21860 of 28896 Posts