AVS Forum banner

28301 - 28320 of 28753 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just to confirm, everyone who is keeping their sets on the 4.x firmware has been unable to install the Disney Plus app, correct?

It would be nice to be able to use the built-in app for Dolby Vision support, but it keeps prompting me to perform a software update when I try to install the app, and I'm certainly not going to sacrifice perfect blacks for any apps on the television.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just to confirm, everyone who is keeping their sets on the 4.x firmware has been unable to install the Disney Plus app, correct?

It would be nice to be able to use the built-in app for Dolby Vision support, but it keeps prompting me to perform a software update when I try to install the app, and I'm certainly not going to sacrifice perfect blacks for any apps on the television.
Correct, I can't install the app because I am still in 4.x. Shame.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Correct, I can't install the app because I am still in 4.x. Shame.

It may not be the solution you’re looking for, but I have my B6 on 4.31.20 and I bought an Apple TV 4K and completely disconnected the TV from the internet. ATV4K will do Disney plus in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
It may not be the solution you’re looking for, but I have my B6 on 4.31.20 and I bought an Apple TV 4K and completely disconnected the TV from the internet. ATV4K will do Disney plus in Dolby Vision and Atmos.
Doesn't the B6 on 4.x have issues with handling black levels from HDMI Dolby Vision sources? I thought the patch for that came in one of the 5.x firmwares.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Doesn't the B6 on 4.x have issues with handling black levels from HDMI Dolby Vision sources? I thought the patch for that came in one of the 5.x firmwares.

I don’t have any issues with Dolby vision. I may have to adjust brightness +/-1 depending on the movie or show, but that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I've never had issues on my B6. I hear people talk about the blacks all the time but i've never noticed any issues. I always update to the latest firmware.

Reactions: SinGA

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have swapped back and forth between 05.30.60 and 04.31.20 about 3 times in past few months for comparisons and 05.30.60 definitely has raised blacks. However, my TV is in a completely dark room and you really only notice it in the corners when whatever you're watching cuts to a completely black screen.

Most recently, I tried the Nvidia Shield 2019 with Dolby Vision on both firmware versions. If you're still on 04.31.20, DV looks awful over HDMI. Although I didn't have the DV raised blacks issue that people with the ATV 4K reported, I had an issue where there would be an occasional bright/flashing line at the border of the screen when "just scan" was enabled. In addition, in everything I watched in DV had banding and posterization in the highlights. On 04.31.20, HDR10 looks better than DV when using HDMI.

On 05.30.60, both HDR and DV is generally improved across the board. Comparing firmwares back to back using the same sources, the image looks noticeably cleaner: less noise, cleaner looking gradations in highlights (ie: skies).

Another thing I noticed (might be placebo) is that i got more black glow when updating directly from
04.31.20 to 05.30.60 via USB. Updating from the TV menu will take two updates: 04.31.20 -> 05.30.03 -> 05.30.60 and worked out better for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've never had issues on my B6. I hear people talk about the blacks all the time but i've never noticed any issues. I always update to the latest firmware.
Yeah, they published a firmware update (5.30.30) specifically to handle the Dolby Vision issues, so if you're on the latest firmware, you should be fine with DV content. The elevated black levels are only noticeable if you watch in a fully darkened room.

I have swapped back and forth between 05.30.60 and 04.31.20 about 3 times in past few months for comparisons and 05.30.60 definitely has raised blacks. However, my TV is in a completely dark room and you really only notice it in the corners when whatever you're watching cuts to a completely black screen.

Most recently, I tried the Nvidia Shield 2019 with Dolby Vision on both firmware versions. If you're still on 04.31.20, DV looks awful over HDMI. Although I didn't have the DV raised blacks issue that people with the ATV 4K reported, I had an issue where there would be an occasional bright/flashing line at the border of the screen when "just scan" was enabled. In addition, in everything I watched in DV had banding and posterization in the highlights. On 04.31.20, HDR10 looks better than DV when using HDMI.

On 05.30.60, both HDR and DV is generally improved across the board. Comparing firmwares back to back using the same sources, the image looks noticeably cleaner: less noise, cleaner looking gradations in highlights (ie: skies).
My takeaway has definitely been that it's worth upgrading firmware if you're using the TV in any non-theater room setting, because I had the exact same experience as you regarding when the black elevation was noticeable. On the occasions when I was watching with some lights on, the difference was negligible, but when I'm watching in a fully darkened room like normal, I would always see the glow on black cuts.

I haven't been following the firmware process closely of late. Are you still having to loop between the firmwares using 5.40.01, or did someone find a way to shift directly between the more recent 5.30.x firmwares and 4.31.x?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't been following the firmware process closely of late. Are you still having to loop between the firmwares using 5.40.01, or did someone find a way to shift directly between the more recent 5.30.x firmwares and 4.31.x?
Still a two-step process but I have the files arranged on my computer so it's pretty easy to do (one copy for 05.40.01 and one for 04.31.x). The longest part of the process is waiting for the updates to upload onto the tv.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
In my system, the Fire TV Stick 4K reverts from 2160p to Auto. This results in most apps (except Prime) using 1080p, but allows Dolby Vision and HDR-10. My assumption, which I have not verified, is that this behavior is a fallback procedure on the part of the Fire TV Stick 4K due to the lack of support for 4K60 Dolby Vision in the B6.

My Fire TV Stick 4K is direct to a Denon AVR, then to the B6. I have found that sequencing the power of the AVR and TV such that the TV is always on when the AVR is powered on or off results in the Fire TV Stick 4K remaining on 2160p output. It does not matter which input on the AVR is active during the power sequence.

In other words, turn the TV on first, then the AVR. Likewise, turn the AVR off first, then the TV.

I have not tried the Fire TV Stick 4K direct to the B6.

Thanks, in my setup, the FireTV Stick 4K is directly into the B6, input #4 . Is it doing this because the FireStick 4K interface is 1080P. It's just a pain in the @@@ to have to keep resetting the resolution every time I change back to the FireStick input.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks, in my setup, the FireTV Stick 4K is directly into the B6, input #4 . Is it doing this because the FireStick 4K interface is 1080P. It's just a pain in the @@@ to have to keep resetting the resolution every time I change back to the FireStick input.

It's doing that because the Firestick 4k will not auto framematch on any app other than Prime video. So it tries to send 4k60DolbyVision to the HDMI and our sets can only accept a max of 4k30DolbyVision, when that fails it defaults to 2k60DV (1080p/60). Only work around is to force the Firestick into 4k24 or 4k30 resolution. This introduces issues into my setup for sports viewing.

Apple TV-4k does have auto framematch which can handle it, but then has other small issues like only 23.976p framematch for any true 24.0p content certain material such as "The Irishman" which results in dropped frames.

I have both devices and I prefer the ATV4k. Maybe now that there is more 24.op content coming out they will patch the unit to include that frame matching.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I rarely use the First TV Stick 4K because it is an annoyance to switch between 2160p and Auto resolution, also toggling native frame rate, when I switch from Prime > other apps. That, and the dynamic range compression applied to audio prior to AC-3/EC-3 live encode. Other streamers offer more seamless operation and better sound quality.

I did watch the first season of Jack Ryan in Dolby Vision on it! ;) :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
It's doing that because the Firestick 4k will not auto framematch on any app other than Prime video. So it tries to send 4k60DolbyVision to the HDMI and our sets can only accept a max of 4k30DolbyVision, when that fails it defaults to 2k60DV (1080p/60). Only work around is to force the Firestick into 4k24 or 4k30 resolution. This introduces issues into my setup for sports viewing.

Apple TV-4k does have auto framematch which can handle it, but then has other small issues like only 23.976p framematch for any true 24.0p content certain material such as "The Irishman" which results in dropped frames.

I have both devices and I prefer the ATV4k. Maybe now that there is more 24.op content coming out they will patch the unit to include that frame matching.

Thanks, I have set the resolution to 4K30, but it still reverts back to 1080p or auto after a day or so.

Are you using the ATV4K with the B6? I was thinking about getting one, but, the price is steep.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I rarely use the First TV Stick 4K because it is an annoyance to switch between 2160p and Auto resolution, also toggling native frame rate, when I switch from Prime > other apps. That, and the dynamic range compression applied to audio prior to AC-3/EC-3 live encode. Other streamers offer more seamless operation and better sound quality.

I did watch the first season of Jack Ryan in Dolby Vision on it! ;) :D

Yes, it's annoying as [email protected]@. I'm about to through this thing out the window :). I watched it also, in DV, it was awesome. I wish season 2 was in DV.

If you don't use the 4K Firestick anymore, which streaming device do you use now?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Thanks, I have set the resolution to 4K30, but it still reverts back to 1080p or auto after a day or so.

Are you using the ATV4K with the B6? I was thinking about getting one, but, the price is steep.

I use an atv4k on my b6. Works wonderfully.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I use an atv4k on my b6. Works wonderfully.

Thanks, I may have to bit the bullet! Does it automatically switch frame rates properly. For example, if you play a Dolby Vision movie, does it display it at 2160p and DV when set to auto, or do you have to manually set the resolution to 2160p?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Thanks, I may have to bit the bullet! Does it automatically switch frame rates properly. For example, if you play a Dolby Vision movie, does it display it at 2160p and DV when set to auto, or do you have to manually set the resolution to 2160p?

It’s auto. I never have to change any settings.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If you don't use the 4K Firestick anymore, which streaming device do you use now?
It changes a bit depending on whose firmware is doing what, but currently:

VUDU on Chromecast
Netflix on Apple TV (DoVi w/Atmos) and Chromecast (DoVi w/o Atmos) and occasionally Roku
Prime on Roku
iTunes on Apple TV
PLEX on Oppo 203
Movies Anywhere on Apple TV (DoVi) and Roku (HDR)
Twitch on Fire TV
NFL Sunday Ticket on Apple TV
YouTube on Roku

Occasionally I will use the B6's internal apps for a change of pace, but not when Atmos is available.

Reactions: Mike__P

·
Registered
412 Posts

Saw a review someplace that even tho Apple TV is at a premium price, it gets some of the highest marks for user satisfaction in streaming devices. So, biting the bullet to buy one shouldn't be too bad.

brettwf

28301 - 28320 of 28753 Posts