AVS Forum banner

28461 - 28480 of 28777 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
For 2016 models, LG only puts out 2 different FW trees based on the tuner, ATSC for US/KR and DVB for the rest of the world. You can use KR firmware on US devices no problem and they are the same exact files when they do push them to the US servers. They only push out FW to the US servers for major releases while they push out updates to the KR ones for minor updates. The thing is that most of the changes go undocumented in the release notes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
if you wan't to really know that the black glow issue are still present on the latest firmware update on B6, you all need to watch then Mad Max Fury Road HDR movie, in a dark room it's more obvious to see it. Not need to try nothing more, no black SDR slides (black glow on it is almost insignificant).
also black scenes movies HDR like Avengers Infinity war you will notice it very easy. B6 became an LCD in the beginner of this movie instead completely true blacks like it should be.

Reactions: morphinapg

·
Registered
549 Posts
anyone knows how to access the service menu through Harmony remote & how to decrease the compensation cycles of the Panel from default 4 hrs to a lower setting? As i game a lot on my B6 so just want to be safe.

Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
if you wan't to really know that the black glow issue are still present on the latest firmware update on B6, you all need to watch then Mad Max Fury Road HDR movie, in a dark room it's more obvious to see it. Not need to try nothing more, no black SDR slides (black glow on it is almost insignificant).
also black scenes movies HDR like Avengers Infinity war you will notice it very easy. B6 became an LCD in the beginner of this movie instead completely true blacks like it should be.
Black glow is still present in latest, but are you seeing black glow in all the movie?

Black glow on B6 is only noticeable in a complete fade to black screen in pitch dark room, if your seeing it in general picture thats not a complete black screen, I don't think thats the same issue, someone correct me if I'm wrong but thats what Ive always been led to believe, and for me that's the only time I have ever noticed it myself.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Black glow is still present in latest, but are you seeing black glow in all the movie?

Black glow on B6 is only noticeable in a complete fade to black screen in pitch dark room, if your seeing it in general picture thats not a complete black screen, I don't think thats the same issue, someone correct me if I'm wrong but thats what Ive always been led to believe, and for me that's the only time I have ever noticed it myself.
That matches my experience in testing 05.30.60 for the past week or so, coming from 04.31.20. Black glow definitely present and visible on scene cuts, but not visible while any meaningful picture is displaying on the set due to the contrast, even on letterboxed films (at least as long as the OLED light isn't increased above the default setting). I don't personally own Fury Road or Infinity War, so I can't test with them in particular, but if the black glow is meaningfully noticeable with content playing on the set, that sounds more like an encoding issue (or a setting issue causing something to go awry with the HDR tone mapping) than the baseline black glow. Were you just seeing it along the top/bottom edge of the display, or was it visible throughout the picture?

I should also say that I'm not particularly familiar with the content of either of those films, so if they have some Lawrence of Arabia-esque black-screen overture to start, then I could certainly see the glow being a factor there.

·
Registered
710 Posts
anyone knows how to access the service menu through Harmony remote & how to decrease the compensation cycles of the Panel from default 4 hrs to a lower setting? As i game a lot on my B6 so just want to be safe. Thanks.
I've been using Harmony remotes exclusively since 2006 and after getting my B6 I was excited to discover I could "supposedly" enter the LG service menu. As it turned out I soon discovered some Harmony remotes worked better than others in this regard. For example some Harmonys did not recognize the Info button on the LG physical remote or initially provide an option to add the EZ-ADJ button needed to access the service menu. However, with enough determination and tenacity it seems you can get any Harmony to work once you had the proper Harmony code. Members also reported there are multiple videos on YouTube on how to access LG's Hidden secret Service menu via a smartphone. I checked them out as well.

In the end I decided via a smartphone or with my Harmony either option it was more trouble than it was worth. Bottom line: I didn't want to spend "hours" researching and programming the options needed for my Harmony to get a feature I might only use once or twice. In the end... I picked up a genuine LG Factory Service Remote Control off ebay for about 10 bucks. You can read about it in this AVS thread. (If interested... just search ebay for - MKJ39170828)

Reactions: mttpalmer

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm trying to setup a MadVR 3DLut in DisplayCal using PC with 12 bit 4:4:4 RGB (24Hz). When I changed the TV HDMI2 icon to PC the TV changed the picture settings with wide gamut set as the default. Is this correct or should I force 'Normal' before calibrating using an i1/Colormunki? I am only interested in getting correct calibration for PC input at the moment. Also when doing a MadVR 3DLut for HDR do I switch Windows 10 to HDR mode and set the DisplayCal to HDR Output or toen mapped? I can find very little info about calibrating HDR using DisplayCal and a MadVR 3DLut. Very confusing.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
anyone knows how to access the service menu through Harmony remote & how to decrease the compensation cycles of the Panel from default 4 hrs to a lower setting? As i game a lot on my B6 so just want to be safe.

Thanks.
FYI, compensation cycles don't prevent burn in. They are basically backplane maintenance (leveling out the voltages in the transistors that drive the pixels). That can clear up IR and some other picture anomalies that result from some pixels being driven at a different intensity level, but it has no influence at all on differential aging of the pixels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have my b6 hooked up to a panamax power conditioner..i havent had any ir issues..wonder if that is helping. but i dont watch letterbox for an extended period or leave it paused on a still screen.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That matches my experience in testing 05.30.60 for the past week or so, coming from 04.31.20. Black glow definitely present and visible on scene cuts, but not visible while any meaningful picture is displaying on the set due to the contrast, even on letterboxed films (at least as long as the OLED light isn't increased above the default setting). I don't personally own Fury Road or Infinity War, so I can't test with them in particular, but if the black glow is meaningfully noticeable with content playing on the set, that sounds more like an encoding issue (or a setting issue causing something to go awry with the HDR tone mapping) than the baseline black glow. Were you just seeing it along the top/bottom edge of the display, or was it visible throughout the picture?

I should also say that I'm not particularly familiar with the content of either of those films, so if they have some Lawrence of Arabia-esque black-screen overture to start, then I could certainly see the glow being a factor there.
I tried this movies (HDR10) because are completely black since starting (Mad Max Fury Road as an example) so no need to latter box or credits screen to test it over Panasonic Blu-Ray Player UB310... no changes if I setup differents Chroma outputs... Infinity War had a couple dark scenes like infinity soul stone moment, also tried because is not too dark but it can be reproduce over of many other movies and easily visible (LCD like) to much for my personal like using an OLED panel... so not really a big deal to me at all :)

Fortunately I was able to downgrade reading some very useful post, thanks some users to make this possible my set is working properly once again.. Very happy with it and with my eeColor 3DLUT external box, SDR Blu-Ray's Movies are "outstanding" :cool:

P.S: I have to say anyway I'm hopping this big issue will be fixed one day with a new firmware release. Crossed fingers always :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Parts question

I’ve had a 65” C6 for three years now. It developed slight logo burn in and I contacted L.G. about it. Surprisingly, they sent a tech to my house out of warranty and gave me a brand new oled panel replacement free of charge. The tech let me keep my old oled panel. Its just the panel and missing all the circuit boards and parts. I had a crazy mad scientist idea of buying all the parts and rebuilding a second television since the burn in wasn’t too terrible. Has anyone ever attempted this before, would they recommend it, and if so where did you source the parts? Discarding the panel seems like such a waste...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’ve had a 65” C6 for three years now. It developed slight logo burn in and I contacted L.G. about it. Surprisingly, they sent a tech to my house out of warranty and gave me a brand new oled panel replacement free of charge. The tech let me keep my old oled panel. Its just the panel and missing all the circuit boards and parts. I had a crazy mad scientist idea of buying all the parts and rebuilding a second television since the burn in wasn’t too terrible. Has anyone ever attempted this before, would they recommend it, and if so where did you source the parts? Discarding the panel seems like such a waste...
I had a pretty bad burn on my B6. LG is fighting a public perception these things burn in so easily. They graciously replaced my out of warrant panel as well.
It did take two months to finally get it wrapped up as the panel was back-ordered. It did get sent up to see if they could replace it with a newer complete set but it was rejected. The panel finally did ship to my house and was replaced.

It seems like there was a bit of redesign on the replacement panel. The replacement panel components do not line up with the circuit boards and required a jumper cable between the board and the panel.

Not sure how, but to me the newer panel PQ looks better than the old.

But now I have a problem with the set turning on via HDMI.
Anyone else have this problem? I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Does the replacement panel still support 3D?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does the replacement panel still support 3D?

I was told by the tech that my panel was on backorder because its curved and supports 3D which is hard to obtain now. I tested it today and it does not appear to support 3D. It either shows the same thing on the top half and bottom half of the screen or it plays normally with no 3D enhancement. This is very disappointing.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I was told by the tech that my panel was on backorder because its curved and supports 3D which is hard to obtain now. I tested it today and it does not appear to support 3D. It either shows the same thing on the top half and bottom half of the screen or it plays normally with no 3D enhancement. This is very disappointing.
Oh that sucks

·
Registered
590 Posts
OLED B6 and Vizio SB 36512 Dolby Atmos Soundbar

Is anyone with a B6 using the Vizio SB 36512 Dolby Atmos Soundbar.

Ok, here is the setup.
I have a OLED B6 TV, Vizio SB 36512-F6, and the Apple 4K TV.
I have the HDMI OUT (ARC) from the soundbar going to the HDMI Input 2 (ARC) on the TV.
I have the HDMI In from the soundbar going to the HDMI out of the Apple 4K TV.

When watching See on Apple TV or the Mandalorian on Disney Plus, both of which have Dolby Atmos sound, the SB lights up white, which is Dolby Digital, instead of green, for Dolby Atmos.

I am at my wits end on trying to get this thing to work.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Is it not displaying Dolby Atmos because the OLED B6 can't pass through Dolby Atmos sound.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Is anyone with a B6 using the Vizio SB 36512 Dolby Atmos Soundbar.

Ok, here is the setup.
I have a OLED B6 TV, Vizio SB 36512-F6, and the Apple 4K TV.
I have the HDMI OUT (ARC) from the soundbar going to the HDMI Input 2 (ARC) on the TV.
I have the HDMI In from the soundbar going to the HDMI out of the Apple 4K TV.

When watching See on Apple TV or the Mandalorian on Disney Plus, both of which have Dolby Atmos sound, the SB lights up white, which is Dolby Digital, instead of green, for Dolby Atmos.

I am at my wits end on trying to get this thing to work.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Is it not displaying Dolby Atmos because the OLED B6 can't pass through Dolby Atmos sound.
The latest ATV update broke Atmos and Vision concurrently on Disney+. People said unplugging the ATV for 30 seconds was a solution.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1278071-apple-tv-owners-thread-faq-first-post-703.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
LG OLED65B6P - Panel doesn't turn on - power light blink three times

Has anyone experienced this? LG Service guy told me the whole panel has to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m a B6 owner. I read somewhere awhile back that Hulu isn’t supporting older model TVs anymore. I currently have a fire cube which I have been watching Hulu Live with.

The Hulu app is much more vibrant in color and seems much clearer coming from the app on the tv, but does not seem to support Hulu Live.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
5.30.80 firmware, I managed to get 1440P working on 16:9 Game User. Wasnt previously available. Only 1080P and 4K. As I have three of these, I'm now running 5760*1440 at 60hz Sim Gaming. It's huge news as my 2080ti Nvidia could not push all three screens at 4K each
What do you mean? I could do 1440p 16:9 Game User since I had the TV 1080GTX 55E6

28461 - 28480 of 28777 Posts