AVS Forum banner

28761 - 28780 of 28913 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wanted to chime in to this thread as an FYI that I was successful at getting LG to replace the panel on my B6, manufactured 2016 purchased early 2017, for free. I just called their customer service line and told them I had burn in and had heard they were replacing panels. They had me send in some pics then called me back to say they were dispatching a repair. Just waiting on the local tech to setup the appointment. Pretty easy process so far and they confirmed it would be an updated panel, whatever that means. Thank you to this forum for the info!
I'm surprised that LG didn't have you sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, which in part states that you wouldn't post details of the replacement online.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm surprised that LG didn't have you sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, which in part states that you wouldn't post details of the replacement online.
Why would they do that? I specifically mentioned to them that I was asking for a replacement because I have read on the forums that they have been doing it. They didnt balk at all. I might consider signing one if they replaced it outright with a brand new current version but other than that they arent doing me a favor. They are fixing their defect and thumbs up to them for that!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Anybody else pause some media and forget the TV is on because their OLED is black screen. I've done this a number of times. Am I putting my TV at risk of burn in? am I burning lamp hours/LED lifespan? I try to turn off my TV the moment I need to take a break as much as I can but sometimes I just forget. Sometimes overnight

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Anybody else pause some media and forget the TV is on because their OLED is black screen. I've done this a number of times. Am I putting my TV at risk of burn in? am I burning lamp hours/LED lifespan? I try to turn off my TV the moment I need to take a break as much as I can but sometimes I just forget. Sometimes overnight
Which model do you have? Our B6 starts a screen saver when the image is still, but only for internal apps. Otherwise, it starts to dim the screen slowly after about a minute, but it never goes black, just dimmed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Which model do you have? Our B6 starts a screen saver when the image is still, but only for internal apps. Otherwise, it starts to dim the screen slowly after about a minute, but it never goes black, just dimmed.
Mines a C6. It only shows that picture screensaver when its paused from a TV app. For anything else it is input device dictated. For PC I know it dims the screen and I can tell its on so I turn it off. For everything else.,eventually the screen turns black and its easy to forget the TV is on

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Mines a C6. It only shows that picture screensaver when its paused from a TV app. For anything else it is input device dictated. For PC I know it dims the screen and I can tell its on so I turn it off. For everything else.,eventually the screen turns black and its easy to forget the TV is on
Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen the screen just go black from having something on pause. But maybe it does after a long time.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Very common with Amazon Firestick UHD
I've seen that happen with Fire TV devices. After a short period of inactivity, the Fire TV screensaver kicks in (if that option is on). After a longer period of inactivity, the screen goes black. I think they go to sleep mode. That's not the OLED doing that though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've seen that happen with Fire TV devices. After a short period of inactivity, the Fire TV screensaver kicks in (if that option is on). After a longer period of inactivity, the screen goes black. I think they go to sleep mode. That's not the OLED doing that though.
RIght I know. I am wondering if there's any harm done when this happens? Or if I am burning LED hours even though the screen is all black ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mine down loading now , so we see what it does .

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Just got notified on mine as well, but it will have to wait till I'm through using it as a monitor while working from home. Somehow I doubt it has anything like the VP9 codec for 4K youtube :).

·
Registered
13 Posts
For the b6 from lg UK site

[05.31.00]
1. Fix the failure of access to certain website in the browser
2. Improved BBC iPlayer performance

·
Registered
481 Posts
I thought I'd try to lookup any firmware description I could find on the LG USA web site, I thought logging in would be best so I could access the info for my registered product. LG apparently deleted my info, I know I registered my B6 since I recorded the email and password I created at the time.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
RIght I know. I am wondering if there's any harm done when this happens? Or if I am burning LED hours even though the screen is all black ?
If the screen is black, then the pixels are not experiencing any significant wear. If you're asking if the TV is logging hours of use as seen in About this TV in Settings, then I"m not sure, but probably. That should be easy enough to test.

·
Registered
828 Posts
For the b6 from lg UK site

[05.31.00]
1. Fix the failure of access to certain website in the browser
2. Improved BBC iPlayer performance

Any change to the raised black levels at 0% ? I'm guessing not because they probably wouldn't employ engineers this late in the game to fix that unintended consequence of 'improving' shadow quality but one can hope.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any change to the raised black levels at 0% ? I'm guessing not because they probably wouldn't employ engineers this late in the game to fix that unintended consequence of 'improving' shadow quality but one can hope.
Looks the same to me

28761 - 28780 of 28913 Posts