AVS Forum banner

4061 - 4080 of 28753 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just purchased a 65B and I can't wait to receive it. Unfortunately it won't be here unti Tuesday or Wednesday.

I don't currently own a Blu-Ray player and I am currently considering getting one to take advantage of some higher resolution content. I currently own a Bose sound system that includes a DVD player.

I am considering the Samsung UBDK8500 because it does 4K. But since the LG will upscale content will this unit at over $300 be necessary or will a lower priced Blu ray player which doesn't do 4K work just as well? Basically what would I be missing out on if I go with a Blu-Ray player which does not do 4K?

Thanks
If you intend on purchasing UHD Blu-ray discs then I would say yes. If you intend on sticking with the standard Blu-ray disc, then save your money.
Everything I've read says the new UHD Blu-ray players do nothing to improve the picture quality of standard discs
over the previous Blu-ray players. Your B6 will upscale just fine.

Personally, I'm waiting for the prices of the UHD players to come down and for more choices of movie releases.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you intend on purchasing UHD Blu-ray discs then I would say yes. If you intend on sticking with the standard Blu-ray disc, then save your money.
Everything I've read says the new UHD Blu-ray players do nothing to improve the picture quality of standard discs
over the previous Blu-ray players. Your B6 will upscale just fine.

Personally, I'm waiting for the prices of the UHD players to come down and for more choices of movie releases.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. By the way are UHD discs more expensive than regular Blu-Ray discs?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for the input. By the way are UHD discs more expensive than regular Blu-Ray discs?
A little bit more. $25-$30 seems to be the going rate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A little bit more. $25-$30 seems to be the going rate.
Yeah, I just did a search on Best Buy I should have done this from the get go. Actual content is a bit limited.

Tough choice for me however as I don't even have a Blu Ray player. By cheap now and then wait to buy at cheaper but still have to buy again. Combination may still end up being at the same price if I just bought 4K in the first place.

Ah well my issue, thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I was using these settings prior to calibration..I've always been one to share, so feel free to give these a shot. EVERYTHING IN CMS SHOULD BE ZERO'd OUT EXCEPT YELLOW !! :eek:

LG Display Settings

ISF Expert Bright Mode- (Daytime Viewing in a Bright Room)

Aspect Ratio: 16:9
OLED Light: 80
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 52
H Sharpness: 0
V Sharpness: 0
Color: 48
Tint: G8
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Normal
Edge Enhancer: Off
Gamma: 2.2
Color Temperature: Warm2
Low 2, -7, 5
High 0, -9, -12
Color Management Yellow 0,2,0
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off
Tru Motion: Off

ISF Expert Dark Mode - (Night Viewing Dark Room)

Aspect Ratio: 16:9
OLED Light: 80
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 52
H Sharpness: 0
V Sharpness: 0
Color: 48
Tint: G8
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Normal
Edge Enhancer: Off
Gamma: 2.2
Color Temperature: Warm2
Low: 2, -7, 5
High 0, -9, -12
Color Management Yellow 0,2,0
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off
Tru Motion: Off

HDR Standard User

OLED Light 100 Contrast 100
Brightness 51
Sharpness 0
Color 55
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Super Resolution Off
Color Gamut Normal
Edge Enhancer Off
Color Filter Off

Again, all panels are not created equally, these are the setting that worked for my display.. Give them a shot and see how it goes... Thanks to Jeff and Accucal for the great calibration and knowledge you shared !!!:cool:

Dark and Bright are the same? the settings look like daytime settings , can you verify the ifs dark and ifs bright have different settings ?
Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Couldn't respond to your PM (my low post count)... but my hint was in my reply. It is who you were asking about.
I believe my issue was purely bad luck. Likely a very rare bad set from factory. But... they (seller) could not have cared less, and there were no apologies or thanks for your business. Best of luck with your purchase!
Thanks for the response Lex! Please keep us posted on how the factory warranty process works out with LG.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Dark and Bright are the same? the settings look like daytime settings , can you verify the ifs dark and ifs bright have different settings ?

Thanks

Correct, I was scratching my head as well... but if you toggle between the two, you'll still see a difference in brightness..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi all, what's up with the TV turning on the PS4 every single time I switch to the AV Receiver? I know it doesn't if simplink is off or if I turn off the CEC in the ps4, but I want this turned on, I don't want to have to use multiple remotes!, I wonder if LG even tried this?

Also it looks like I will need to buy a new AV Receiver anyway as it's not fully 4k, I had it set up for a few 1080p devices plugged in the AVR, then the 4k devices into the TV, but then they don't get 5.1 sound, only the TV apps e.g. Plex, are giving 5.1 over ARC, but not the other HDMIs... Are we supposed to be able to get 5.1 over all hdmis? e.g. Cable box to TV HDMI then it carries the sound to AVR HDMI ARC which should be 5.1?... But I'm just getting Stereo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
when seeing grey screens in apps the set had pretty startling inverse vignetting
Yes! I've been upset about it!
I've had the tv on long enough that its ran a couple compensation cycles and I ran a manual cycle yesterday. I'm shocked at how much this has addressed the uniformity
Oh my God, don't mess with my emotions. Really? If I run clear panel it will lessen this problem??

·
Registered
805 Posts

Oh my God, don't mess with my emotions. Really? If I run clear panel it will lessen this problem??
YMMV but my panel has improved since first firing it up. Doesn't hurt to run a manual comp cycle to see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
YMMV but my panel has improved since first firing it up. Doesn't hurt to run a manual comp cycle to see.
I've only had mine since yesterday so you've given me hope.

I searched AVS Forum for "vignetting" and I think we're the first two to talk about it on the 2016 units. So maybe you're right about it going away over time.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts

It does...for the most part the uniformity does improve pretty well.

Reactions: chef jer

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,073
Negative,it wasn't something we talked about.. All settings are post calibration. We factory reset before starting to remove all of my 20pt adjustments to save some time, unfortunately they still stuck on HDMI2 for some reason or another after the reset. You can take a look at the report, maybe that will help shed some light in regards to your question ? I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert in regards to calibration. As for the post calibration PQ, very pleased with the results...
Did you pay someone to do this? There are no 20 pt. settings and day and night are the same? No 20 pt. calibration in HDR?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I haven't noticed any issues with motion or judder versus my F8500 but maybe I'm not sensitive.
Coming from a Samsung F8500, you must definitely not be sensitive to motions issues. That set was basically broken for anything but 60 fps content. It's been a long time since I tried their 24p or Cinema Smooth modes but they were a nightmare. Random hiccups and stutters throughout most movies. Ended up leaving my F8500 always running in 60Hz and just live with the 3:2 judder on movies.

I can't imagine how the LG OLED could be any worse so you should be very happy with motion.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Coming from a Samsung F8500, you must definitely not be sensitive to motions issues. That set was basically broken for anything but 60 fps content. It's been a long time since I tried their 24p or Cinema Smooth modes but they were a nightmare. Random hiccups and stutters throughout most movies. Ended up leaving my F8500 always running in 60Hz and just live with the 3:2 judder on movies.

I can't imagine how the LG OLED could be any worse so you should be very happy with motion.
Wow really...I set my f8500 on cinema smooth and never saw any motion issues whatsoever...this goes to show how when it comes to motion, it comes to the individual.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Wow really...I set my f8500 on cinema smooth and never saw any motion issues whatsoever...this goes to show how when it comes to motion, it comes to the individual.
No doubt. That's why there's such mixed opinions on these OLEDs regarding motion. It all depends on where you're coming from and what you're used to. The F8500 issues with 24p are well documented and discussed to death back when the set was released (2013-2014). I recall @wxman also seeing the issue on his F8500 but he is happy with his E6 so that's a good sign.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
No doubt. That's why there's such mixed opinions on these OLEDs regarding motion. It all depends on where you're coming from and what you're used to. The F8500 issues with 24p are well documented and discussed to death back when the set was released (2013-2014). I recall @wxman also seeing the issue on his F8500 but he is happy with his E6 so that's a good sign.
I remember as well lol, I had a different user name back then angelp77...forgot my password and had to create a new user name! Motion and the inevitable comparisons to the Panasonic zt/vt dominated that thread...back when we valued real pq lol...not how blindingly bright a set could go!!! I'm also happy with my E!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
On the topic of compensation cycles, how many hours should I get on the TV before running the full manual compensation cycles. Also, is there a setting which enable/disables compensation cycles, I don't see one. Thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
Did you pay someone to do this? There are no 20 pt. settings and day and night are the same? No 20 pt. calibration in HDR?

There was no need to adjust the 20 pt. settings to achieve accuracy I'm assuming..If you look at the pre/post calibration results, this panel is setup pretty good OTB.. Some minor tweaking is all it needed. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should comes to mind in regards to 20pt settings. Granted some panels may need it, others not so much.. Again, I'm far from a calibration expert, so if there are calibrators that think I was shorted in any way, feel free to chime in so I have the opportunity to address it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4061 - 4080 of 28753 Posts